• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Ike is my main for P:M

just saying.

I mean, as usual, I play everything, but, still. Ike OP

Crusayer

Smash Lord
*Metroid

This new guy went 6-1 on mango. I have never heard of this guy on the melee scene.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Ike has more power than Ganon
More range than Marth
And can close distances as fast as sonic

So good

:phone:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Lucario's pretty cool. Also, I haven't even started wavedashing out of active spin dashes, Vic. Things are gonna get a whole lot faster.

I think I'll co-main Sonic and Charizard equally though.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh i forgot to mention. Connor asks if anyone is interested in bi-weeklyish meet ups at his place (or whenever to be honest). He lives a bout 5 minutes west of belgravia lrt station, so its super convenient especially for everyone who is a student or lives near an lrt station.

I think i'm going to play wario's more capable rival, mario. I dunno.

I miss peach too. GUH i wanna play now

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
oh i forgot to mention. Connor asks if anyone is interested in bi-weeklyish meet ups at his place (or whenever to be honest). He lives a bout 5 minutes west of belgravia lrt station, so its super convenient especially for everyone who is a student or lives near an lrt station.

Bi-weekly meet ups? I'm so down for that!! It'll give me a place to practice Project: M on a consistent basis.

I go to Jack for my Brawl training, so having a Project: M location to fight would be great too.

Crusayer

Smash Lord

Play fox lolllllll

If we're gonna just be going to Calgary for the tournament, I'm just gonna practice melee instead :x.

No wolf /o\.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Bi-weekly meet ups? I'm so down for that!! It'll give me a place to practice Project: M on a consistent basis.

I go to Jack for my Brawl training, so having a Project: M location to fight would be great too.
yes

yes

Play fox lolllllll
I feel like I would get ***** by most of the cast if I played fox loooooool plus spacies is too hard xD prob more peach tbh

or fahggot ike

also so try hard ron

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Once I can confirm the Calgary tournament, I wouldn't mind hosting Brawl Melee and P:M. But know that whatever gets the most attendees will likely be the largest focus.

I'm hoping to make it two days though so I can have full events, we'll see about that though, still depends on getting my location.

As for Project M and characters, seriously, Lucario is the most broken, he just is really hard to play to that extent, instant cancel everything into everything OP. And know that I think project m is really fun, but completely dumb in regards to tournaments, 90% of the cast is OP and can Lcancel an aerial that has enough knockback to kill under 100% and then grab them if they shield before they can react.

The game is a little sloppy lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Once I can confirm the Calgary tournament, I wouldn't mind hosting Brawl Melee and P:M. But know that whatever gets the most attendees will likely be the largest focus.

I'm hoping to make it two days though so I can have full events, we'll see about that though, still depends on getting my location.

As for Project M and characters, seriously, Lucario is the most broken, he just is really hard to play to that extent, instant cancel everything into everything OP. And know that I think project m is really fun, but completely dumb in regards to tournaments, 90% of the cast is OP and can Lcancel an aerial that has enough knockback to kill under 100% and then grab them if they shield before they can react.

The game is a little sloppy lol
90% of the cast is OP by comparison to, what, Fox and Falco being broken in Melee? Everyone has options in this game, there's diversity, and that's what counts. There'll always be a better character, but we gotta be real. Brawl and Melee are both pretty damn unbalanced at times. I still play Brawl because I just love the way the game feels in terms of flow, and how Sonic plays, and also Pit. But I digress.

Having the entire cast strong by comparison to only a small part of it being strong? I don't see anything wrong with that. You can't shine spike/spacy/Peach your way to victory anymore. For now that is.

Also, I'd be down for a Calgary event for all three games. I still love Brawl, and I wanna keep getting better and better, but the growth on the fan-made PM is admirable too.

[EDIT]

To elaborate on PM? I personally think that once we reach greater heights with each character, we'll find that despite the balance, there'll still be characters that counter others. For example, Falco eats Bowser for breakfast, but along comes Sonic's blistering speed and gimping capabilities to counter spacies. Balance is key, but diversity and knowing that your character is better at one thing over others is still nice to have.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Definitely feels like more characters have more options to content at high level play.

Loved seeing the results of our tournaments so far. Seeing connor's bowser, brandon's sonic, and luke's dk placing high is pretty ballin.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Too bad you're repping sonic too hard.

Probably gonna play some weird combination of peach/falcon/mario/wario next tourney we have.

Brandon and I are thinking of setting up PMPR. GOTTA GO HARD.

Plus I can't rep Wario vs jack's marth, ron's falco and david's fox. Too hard lmao.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Too bad you're repping sonic too hard.

Probably gonna play some weird combination of peach/falcon/mario/wario next tourney we have.

Brandon and I are thinking of setting up PMPR. GOTTA GO HARD.

Plus I can't rep Wario vs jack's marth, ron's falco and david's fox. Too hard lmao.
I can co-main them! I can make it work! Charizard for select match-ups, Sonic for select match-ups.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I feel P:M has more focus on defensive play than melee but less than brawl. As a rushdown player, I strongly enjoyed that tech aspect in melee. All these new characters seem to have such nice big (and damaging) hitboxes and it kills aggression. Just stay back and have people run into your attacks.

Mango played aggressively against an Ike. He got 6-1'd. I'm like him and can't stand to play campy. It's just not the kind of style I want to employ.

Lucario is only strong when he gets in. He has no options for long distance or escape. His kill power isn't that strong. Mewtwo's shadow ball is not that good of a projectile Lol.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I feel P:M has more focus on defensive play than melee but less than brawl. As a rushdown player, I strongly enjoyed that tech aspect in melee. All these new characters seem to have such nice big (and damaging) hitboxes and it kills aggression. Just stay back and have people run into your attacks.

Mango played aggressively against an Ike. He got 6-1'd. I'm like him and can't stand to play campy. It's just not the kind of style I want to employ.

Lucario is only strong when he gets in. He has no options for long distance or escape. His kill power isn't that strong. Mewtwo's shadow ball is not that good of a projectile Lol.
See here's the problem with that. That's where you get the imbalance from. If all those new characters didn't have those tools much like how Fox has his combo abilities and USmash, edgeguarding tools, what would they be? Nothing. They're not killing aggression, they're being given the right buffs necessary to combat what was good in Melee.

Seriously, what if Bowser had only half the buffs he got in Project: M? He'd be terrible. They're doing this for a reason.

So it's not just a Brawl version of Melee that goes right down to the original top tiers and all.

"We got this shiny new game here with more characters! ... FOX, FALCO, PEACH, MARTH, SHEIK ONLY LALALALALA~"

Overdone, but the point is that new characters don't have those buffs and options for nothing. They're not killing the aggression. They're evening the playing field because without the changes, Melee characters reign supreme all over again.

And frankly, if it were designed that way in which Charizard stood NO chance against the old guys? I'd have discarded and quit this game a long time ago.

[EDIT]

You'll overcome those new characters when you start learning the match-up more. But don't expect it to be some cakewalk and look at Link thinking "Pfffft. I'm Falco. This'll be easy."

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah. it's like Ron's match up melee vs jiggs and peach but now it's everyone

lolololol

but yeah, top tier melee in p:m just can't fully dominate other characters anymore. A lot of characters have a lot of options to get out of sticky situations.

You can still play aggressive, but you have to be more cautious. I'd actually really compare it to Falco vs Peach, except now it's a lot of characters. You can still pull off huge aggression against peach, but sometimes if she plays right you'll get a nice nair oos in the face. A lot of characters have something like that now, like bowser upb, etc

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
See, I can agree with a bit of everything. especially that we're nowhere near top cap yet, but I really feel that it's not a balance issue, it just feels like the game is merging the engines... awkwardly. Like, most of the combo's are either written in stone, or based off of weird DI/bounces, (again, from my experience) but most of the time I will start-up a combo, because every character in the roster is so quick, it just becomes a matter of everything links into everything, I just have to act quick enough, but the same goes defensively, because they can act so fast, shield seems almost useless, and the best DI is always away since your hitstun is so low that you just do your fastest or highest priority attack and win the exchange.

As always, my experience. But I have to agree, defensively it feels like the only useful defensive option is to not be near them, same goes offensively just hit them asap instead of do dastardly well spaced combos like knee to knee to knee to moonwalk backwards knee.

Oh, and like every cool character has a viable moonwalk +1

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
I figured people just knew that cool and that guy can't even be in the same sentence really

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
fox actually takes no tech skill in project melee
TBH I think it's true for almost every character. Everyone seems easier to pick up in P:M, so it makes me play it much more casually (like single player adventure mode and stuff). I still don't think it's Melee 2.0, I usually just think of it and play it like a completely different game like Brawl. If I really cared for it competitively, I would probably play Puff and play Hbox style, but for me it's a game to play for fun and for a quick break after playing Melee/Brawl.

Hence why I'm completely impartial to P:M tournaments with cash prizes and stuff (I probably wouldn't join), whereas I try my hardest in Melee ones.

I think P:M on wifi would be really fun to take a break from single player Melee training, I'd love to casual play you guys on wifi

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So do you want P:M to be inaccessible to newcomers by being extremely technical at the uppermost level? I think it's a fair balance where the better player will STILL win for being more technical.

In my opinion.

Limeee

Smash Champion
TBH I think it's true for almost every character. Everyone seems easier to pick up in P:M, so it makes me play it much more casually (like single player adventure mode and stuff). I still don't think it's Melee 2.0, I usually just think of it and play it like a completely different game like Brawl. If I really cared for it competitively, I would probably play Puff and play Hbox style, but for me it's a game to play for fun and for a quick break after playing Melee/Brawl.

Hence why I'm completely impartial to P:M tournaments with cash prizes and stuff (I probably wouldn't join), whereas I try my hardest in Melee ones.

I think P:M on wifi would be really fun to take a break from single player Melee training, I'd love to casual play you guys on wifi
rofl you've hardly even played the game or attended a pm tourney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdcF_bOrvs&feature=relmfu

the only thing of fox that should be easier is shorthop, i can't really think of anything else because the framedata is copied over...

:009:

Crusayer

Smash Lord
It's hard to switch when you put so much time into one character. Especially if you really like your own character haha.

Sucks when none of the new characters interest you that much.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It's hard to switch when you put so much time into one character. Especially if you really like your own character haha.

Sucks when none of the new characters interest you that much.
It's understandable. I mean I'm going to use Charizard more and more, but it's that much easier using Sonic since I'm familiar with him. Even with the new stuff I'm doing with him.

No one should be ridiculed for sticking with a character they like; that being said, trying other characters is fair enough to ask to give them a fair chance to see what can click with you, maybe see what you're missing.

Then again there's lots of benefits in using a new character in this game. The advantage it gives you over others with lack of experience for one. AND the opportunity to help develop the metagame for that character.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I don't really see much fun in playing the character you played in a different game with different flow etc, because you will naturally try to play it the same way as you did in a different game. This is a chance for me to pick a completely new character (because they are all so easy to pick up) and just have fun with it.

And theoretically, I think easier to short hop means easier to do everything that a short hop requires like grounded shine OoS into a SH, I don't know if Fox still leaves the ground as fast as he does in Melee, and I don't intend to play him (or any other character I played in Melee) to find out

I want to play friendlies on wifi, I will pick random

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I don't really see much fun in playing the character you played in a different game with different flow etc, because you will naturally try to play it the same way as you did in a different game. This is a chance for me to pick a completely new character (because they are all so easy to pick up) and just have fun with it.

And theoretically, I think easier to short hop means easier to do everything that a short hop requires, I don't know if Fox still leaves the ground as fast as he does in Melee, and I don't intend to play him (or any other character I played in Melee) to find out

I want to play someone on wifi, I will pick random
If all you're going to do is speak in theory, don't even bother talking about seeing Project: M in a not-so-serious light.

DISCLAIMER: not trying to start **** :p

Enter a Project: M tournament, use your old mains and try to be more technical since it's easier to do now. I'm challenging you to put it to the test and destroy people since it apparently takes less skill to be good with your old mains.

--

Of course, if you're just in it to have some fun, go right on ahead and enjoy the new characters. I'm just saying and thinking about it, that if you're gonna not take Project: M as a competitive game because it's 'different' or 'too easy' to be technical? Prove it. Show us your swag as hell easy tech work with Fox and Falco.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I have honestly no idea why Arthur blows up grounded OoS or how easy SH is with fox so much. If you're at a good technical level, being able to SH is completely given. You shouldn't even need to think about it. It being easier makes absolutely no difference to you. Frame data is an exact replicate.

The only legit complaint you can throw out about technical stuff is landing detection and the 1f lag. That stuff isn't fox specific, it's engine specific.

The complaint I have as Falco is that shield stun doesn't seem to be the same since apparently Brandon can mash grab through my late aerial before shine comes out and that I don't have light shielding to deal with Marth anymore.

(I need to play your sonic or someone other than charizard to see if it's charizard specific >_>)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Maybe they put a tiny bit more cool down on Falco's DAir even upon l-cancelling it? I could be talking outta my rear on that, but they did make tweaks to the cast new and old after all. Maybe make it so that you can't just get free pressure off DAir/Shine pressure. Little things where defense and countering can be rewarded as much as aggro can be in certain situations.

Or an adjustment in input slightly; that could be it.

But like I said before. You'll figure out how to get through my disrespect. Though by the time you do that I'll have stepped beyond that anyway to up my own game.

Top Bottom