• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
K.. thinking of doing blazpink/melee tournament at my place for the .. 4th of september.

anyone wanting to come down lemme know. we can have brawl casuals as well

I'll be making double sure people get more than 2 sclieces of pizza =p

Also for the inevitable "street fighter vs smash bros" i'll be making sure to have something "special" for the winners =)

I would also like to get a high light footage of crowds/matches for a little "EG" project I am working on.

Basically i want to make a video collage with footage from all the events Edmonton has for competitive games.

I was also thinking that perhaps we could... Idk try to make a video documentary on the smash/other gaming scene?

juuuust some ideas lemme know

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
awesome man, hope you guys are ready for my tao,

ps i want to fight brandon right meow.... see what i did there....

Stevo

Smash Champion
K.. thinking of doing blazpink/melee tournament at my place for the .. 4th of september.

anyone wanting to come down lemme know. we can have brawl casuals as well

I'll be making double sure people get more than 2 sclieces of pizza =p

Also for the inevitable "street fighter vs smash bros" i'll be making sure to have something "special" for the winners =)

I would also like to get a high light footage of crowds/matches for a little "EG" project I am working on.

Basically i want to make a video collage with footage from all the events Edmonton has for competitive games.

I was also thinking that perhaps we could... Idk try to make a video documentary on the smash/other gaming scene?

juuuust some ideas lemme know

I'll plan to come to that

Crusayer

Smash Lord
So is there still going to be a smashfest this sunday? Hopefully I can switch around my shift so I can go to the Sept 4 one...

On a side note, does anyone here know/play Melty Blood? =|

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
no offense but slapping edmonton over alberta power ranking didn't really help your attendance, lol.
True dat.

It's clear that the dominant smash scene still rests in Edmonton and perhaps always will for Alberta, but as has often been the case around here, the players running the community don't have a great handle on public relations and sometimes forget what it's like to see this community for the first time. In fact, many have been playing for so long that they don't even any idea what it's like to see it in its current form. It is huge and intimidating and Alberta's been lost in its own inside jokes for so long that an outsider can be very easily pushed out the door before even stepping on the porch.

I know how fickle the local smash scene is better than most and I know that the rise and fall is a combination of many factors--obviously, putting 'Edmonton' over 'Alberta' in whatever power rankings you're all running now isn't going to kill smash in other parts of the province--but I can tell you that it certainly doesn't help. When I was putting together a Central Canada Smash Circuit, I included Saskatchewan and Manitoba and even though neither produced landmark tournament scenes for the country, the mere inclusion of their names made smashers from that part of the country feel welcome somewhere. Both provinces held their own tournaments and built small communities that went largely unheard of on even a national level, but they still happened and the feeling of involvement new competitors get from being associated with a competitive organization by default is often enough to spark a whole new fire in the game.

The key to creating a community of any formidable size is to exclude as few people as possible in both participation and presentation. As influential members of that community, it is your duty to sell the game to others and once the idea has been sold, it's not your responsibility to try and save it when others lose interest. But remember, when you're posting in these regional threads, you are always selling the game to new customers, even when you think you're only talking to your long-term clientele.

Don't be keepin' it too cozy in here, dawgs.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Truer words have never been spoken. I miss the way that Melee used to be, I'm not going to lie...

I'd gladly come back for more of these tournaments if things went back to the way it used to be. Brawl's just fine and it'll grow amazingly, but we gotta bring Melee back. We just HAVE to!

Thanks, Randall.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I used to share the same business-oriented perspective Randall, but these days I look at smash as something fun that I do with a particular group of fun people. It might be a selfish thing to do in that I don't make as much effort to expand the community as I did 5 years ago, but either way it's the way I feel about it.

As for smash being "dead" in Edmonton, I disagree. I think it lacks organization and hype, but I'm not in a great position to reform it right now between school, work and social life. I know others are in a similar situation.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
only problem is that calgary never hosted a tournament, and (a few from) calgary only occasionally attended edmonton's tournaments.

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Haha thanks. But everytime we played doubles, etc, I could feel i was dragging whoever i was with down =/. Haha it certainly motivates me to get better though ^.^

Dr. Ike

Smash Cadet
I will force everyone else to quit then I'll be the only smash player in the world.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONEEEE

only problem is that calgary never hosted a tournament, and (a few from) calgary only occasionally attended edmonton's tournaments.
I laugh at the fact that you say to the RANDALL of all people.

Jeez, Calgary has been a major part of smash in the best, but then all the new kids came along (Luke's generation) and decided that edmonton should be doing things for themselves and made votes on the idea that the Power Ranking was too big, and therefore it should only be edmonton, and decided a lot of things based on edmonton alone. It doesn't exact make Calgary feel welcome, nor does it even make us like to join in.

Not to mention, they like Brawl. Why would we even want to smash with people who like Brawl.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Was that last part really necessary to say? lol

I agree with you 100% though. Just calling it an Edmonton Power Ranking, as the only one in Alberta in regards to Melee, alienates the rest of the province and makes us appear rather closed off. Especially when there's not much to say as our numbers suck.

This is just a really inconvenient time for a lot of people.Wish we could go back in time a couple of years. Before college and university existed. lol

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I hope his last line was a joke. That just sounds like the same **** the mvc2 players say about mvc3 or the ST players say about ssf4

anyways, the best possible way to get your scene bigger, (i'm talking Edmonton.. because i live here) is to let people KNOW that there is a scene to begin with. I realize a lot of people here might feel like I'm regurgitating the same things. But its the truth.

Who knows why the "luke generation" (ps i think that's pretty harsh to just point the kid out as a problem) decided to make a bunch of "Edmonton only". I do know it makes it easier to organize and keep track of **** when you can focus on one group/city.

Anyhow, I'll continue to try and figure out ways to help out where I can. But come on guys, I know I am not the only person here who wants the scene to grow. So help out. Harass the **** out of friends to come to tournaments. Try to make interesting main events, more low tier love.

RECORD MORE MATCHES. And lets try to get bigger starter pots. I think I can throw something together =)

KillLock

Smash Lord
We need to include other area's in our province in the PR. But I'd say the requirement would be for them to host regular tournaments, then I bet we could figure something out from there.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
More crew battles would be nice to.

One way I am feeling that you guys could get more notice to the scene is to try and get something in the papers or to get some flyers in game stores.

I bet if we did **** like that we'd get more randoms. I just know we would. The harder we push the game, the more people will notice.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
speaking of flyers and ****, u still up for driving around with me on sunday or monday and posting some up in gaming stores and other places across the city? we can encourage brawl, melee, and really any game since we're already at it

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
speaking of flyers and ****, u still up for driving around with me on sunday or monday and posting some up in gaming stores and other places across the city? we can encourage brawl, melee, and really any game since we're already at it
yeah we can do that, i think monday is better since people are prolly coming by on sunday to my place. =p

Do you have any flyers?

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
no i don't, i could probably make up something simple on sunday though and print a bunch of copies, i don't have any pins/tacs or anything, i do have a stapler if that might work, or i guess i could just bring some tape

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
you mean shiro is an awesomesaurs rex yeaaah

anyone want to come over and play some gamecube.... I got some moutin duuuuuuuuuuu

<_< and a dildo

Limeee

Smash Champion
i'm gonna try and make it out to next sunday

i wanna play melee so bad

and for anyone wondering i pretty much dropped peach, i've been practicing tech skill with pretty much everyone and its hard to decide who to main. i'm leaning towards falco

:009:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Okay, semie big news guys. I've been talking a friend of mine who owns http://www.albertarankings.com
I was asking him if it was possible to add brawl to his online ranking battles.

He said it wouldn't be a problem, we could use the same rules you guys have here.

i know online ranking battles suck ***, but really this could hel anyone trying to learn brawl who is to cheap to shell out 10 bucks for a tournament.

It'd be free to play and all that jaz. get back to me soon plz

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
cool, wait wtf, i cant say *****s? =0

hmph n!ggas nucca nagga

hehehehe i got threw the code

Top Bottom