• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alaska's road trip(from AK to FCN, OC3, and back)--overnight housing opportunities?

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Short story: A few of us plan to drive down through Canada to major summer tournaments and we'd greatly appreciate any offers for a place to stop for the night at a few given locations. We're planning on leaving sometime very early next month (1st-6th).

Since the above gives tells you what's going on, if you don't care to read a longer intro you can skip the part enclosed by underscores.

Long story:

A few of us from Alaska(4 max, most likely 3) are planning on making a road trip down to FCN, then down to OC3(major tournaments happening this summer, if you are unacquainted). Of course, the destinations aren't the entire purpose of the journey, and so we'd like to ask if there's anyone willing to offer us a place to stay as we move down from our state.

We could always just stay in hotels or sleep in the car, but in addition to hotels costing money and the uncomfortable factor of the car, it would deprive us of smash time that we might be able to get if someone's willing to let us rest at their place for a night. As long as we're going to be stopping and resting, we figure we'd might as well try to get some friendly smash in while doing so with whoever's available =)

I have stayed with many people out of state during my smash career and have never had any complaints or problems; I will be respectful, courteous, quiet if necessary, and not ask for much more than a bathroom and a(hopefully clean) floor to sleep on. As my house is the central place for all AK competitive smash, I can vouch for the respectfulness of the others as well.

We'll be driving, so we shouldn't need to be picked up or need food(since we can drive around to shop for ourselves). Basically, the plan would be that we would stop by, play smash, sleep, then maybe some more smash and then take off the next day. We'd probably arrive with food of our own, although any donations would of course be appreciated ;)

Here's a list of places we'll be stopping at on the way down to the tournaments, if you are in or very near one of these locations and are down for some friendly outside comp for a night, please post:

Yukon Territories

• White Horse

Alberta

• Grand Prairie
  • Edmonton
  • Red Deer
  • Calgary

Saskatchewan

• Moose Jaw
  • Regina

Manitoba

• Brandon
  • Winnipeg

And here's a list of the places on the way up:

B.C.

• Greater Vancouver Regional District (Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, ect.)
  • Prince George

So, please post if you can help.

Oh, and last but not least... any important advice about Canada or our route through it would be appreciated, of course(like dangerous locations and such that we might want to avoid).

If you need any info at all in order to make a decision on this, just post or PM me and I will provide it if I can.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that all the people currently planning on going are all above 18(I am 20, the oldest).

EDIT2: Here is a short combo video from us. As it says in the description, it's not made to show we are perfect or to brag or something, just to maybe show that it'd be worth your time to have us over in regards to smash competition.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=B8lO9ICosJ4

EDIT3: Schedule​

Here's a short list estimating the time to each planned destination. All of this is written assuming we leave around 5 PM on the 4th.

Format:
[Start-end] [Estimated time from start-end] [Estimated distance]
[End city]-[Date arriving in end city]

Anchorage-White horse 13 hours, 6 minutes Total Est. Distance: 705.88 miles
White Horse-5th

White Horse to Edmonton 22 hours, 29 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1240.26 miles
Edmonton-6th

Edmonton to Calgary Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 2 minutes Total Est. Distance: 185.10 miles
Calgary-7th, we'll rest a day or so here, probably

Calgary to Regina Total Est. Time: 8 hours, 0 minutes Total Est. Distance: 472.07 miles
Regina-8th/9th

Regina to Winnipeg Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 29 minutes Total Est. Distance: 355.14 miles
Winnipeg-8th/9th, probably staying until 10th

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Nice. Stop by at my house when your in Red Deer man.
(You can find me on Global Smasher Compendium.)
Oh Shi- is this during July? I'm leaving to Seattle, but lemme know the date you'll be here and i'll try to Schedule a day of smash in.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Too bad some of us will be gone to the Trans Canada tournament in Toronto, Ontario during that time.. However im sure someone from BC could let you stay at their place.. BTW we live in Vancouver area... Ill tell them about you guys though see if they can lend u a place to stay and smash.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
SHIIIIIII-

Lunaris you can count on me for housing if you are in need of it in Edmonton. Also, if you want to meet the general Edmonton populous then arrange with me and we will try to get a tournament going for you and your crew.

Be aware that tournaments in Edmonton are extremely hard to come by (once a year so far) but if you guys are driving all this way then I'll do my best.

PM me for some instant messaging action.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Wow, great to see the replies, a tourney in Edmonton would be too good

hopefully not everyone will still be gone for the TransCanada tournament though. Looks like that happens on the 30th, about a week before we leave.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
<3's for Alaska

My msn address:
mariownage@gmail.com
Feel free to add me (I'm almost always on). I'm sure I can host something / provide some food (Can't house you guys though, I'm underaged =[, sorry!). I've got Canada tips if you remind me too, talk to you later.
-Levi

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way you can post an approximate schedule for your stop offs at each location? It'll help people know if they will be available to house you.

I mean people are talking about the Trans Canada tourney...but if BC is one of your last stops then at least BC won't be interrupted by the tourney :)

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Glad to see people responding =)

Blunted Object, Janitor, thanks. We'll see what we can do about stopping everywhere we can, but the priority is to get to FCN ahead of schedule so we can have some time to try to fix jet lag and such, so we won't be able to take every offer. That's not saying we won't be able to take yours, we don't know yet, and any offers are very much appreciated. It's especially important to know there are places to stop if something goes wrong, after all.

FalseFalco, sounds good. I'm looking forward to meeting you all, although I doubt we'd put a dent in your tournament =( That doesn't matter much, though. We should be able to make it to Edmonton by the 7th, so if there was one on the 8th we could probably make that. I'll be looking forward to meeting the Edmonton group.

Gamepro, it's a little difficult to do that since we're driving and we won't know our health conditions, the weather conditions, etc, but I'm sure Captain Alaska can cook up a rough schedule. I'll ask him tonight, he's the one who's coordinating the whole thing.

Captain Alaska

Smash Apprentice
FalseFalco, sounds good. I'm looking forward to meeting you all, although I doubt we'd put a dent in your tournament =(

Don't worry, Canada, not everyone in Alaska is a coward. We should be leaving the 4th or 5th,

If we leave Whitehorse the 5th or 6th, we should get to Edmonton on the 6th of 7th, it'll be a long straight drive, but it needs to be done. What has to be done, has to be done.

We should be in Winnipeg by the 10th or early morning on the 11th.

Also we should be in Vancouver a few days after OC3, around the 24th or 25th.

:lick:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
After OC3, If you manage to get to Red Deer around August 10th, you could attend the 3rd Central Alberta Smash Tourney D:
Though, the exact date isn't confirmed yet.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
First post updated with preliminary schedule info as requested.

The info is only a rough outline and various circumstances could cause it to change. It's based on the assumption that our only stop will be in Edmonton, but if we were to stop somewhere else you could pretty much just bump everything one day ahead.

That being said, just because the schedule is written that way doesn't mean we won't need to stop at other places. If you are able to offer a place to stay overnight, please do so. We have no idea what our circumstances will be(gas, health, sleep, etc.) at each stopping point, and so we may need to stop at any of those given locations. The more potential places we know we can go to, the better. If we had more time, we'd gladly stop at a variety of locations, but as you can see from the planned schedule, after arriving at Regina we wouldn't have too much more time to get to FC(FC starts on the 12th).

The way back to Alaska would be a different story, of course, as there's no time crunch.

As an addendum, if you do offer to let us stop at your place and it's not on our stopping schedule, if we decided we needed to stop for whatever reason, we would inform you as far ahead of time as possible. Also, that means that at some point we'd need some contact info, probably a phone number.

EDIT: Updated the schedule a bit, I'm tired ATM so it's subject to change tomorrow if I make any mistakes.

Top Bottom