• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ALASKA Smash Thread

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
Ya, i agree, i sunk my PFDs into multiple blue chip stocks in different energy companies, what with the wall street reform and the presidential elections coming up might as well make some extra money right?

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
Jesus christ that thing cost 800 my god who on earth would buy that besides bajillionairs.

I recommend that you buy Skyrim for PC or a bunch of these nice gigantic gummy worms instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RXmNRr8x7I&feature=pyv&ad=5774682262&kw=funny

woa talk about large

omg 4K calories wonder what would happen if you kept your diet and physical activity level the same while eating one of those every day.

lolz what happened to the computer chip post it was here JUST A SECOND AGO

That thing is so HUGE. Imagine getting whacked in the face with one. Seems like it would be painful. Such a massive gummy worm.

I wonder why I want Dark Souls to fail so terribly.........oh silly me. I know why.

Because I want SKYRIM to WIN! ELDER SCROLLS FTE WEGHOJMMAKLMHLJ HALAHJKAJHL

( Letters after "FTW" are not actually internet lingo, unlike FTW. Well, maybe they actually are. I dunno. )

Also, BBCS2 Extend comes out on arcade SO soon. I had no idea.

It's going to be a new disc on console. For like 70 bucks apparently. What the hell.

As IF BlazBlue has gone through new/drastically changed game mechanics EVER.

So uh 5980 yen? That's supposed to be like 60 bucks from what I have looked up.

Uh.......right. That is kinda super annoying. Yet I will still probably get it anyway.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

METAKNIGHT IS BANNED OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

The Unity Ruleset Committee has come to a majority agreement to ban Meta Knight by a vote of 14-0 with 1 abstaining

14-0 JESUS

I guess Metaknight really IS that good huh?

Hmmm hmmm mmmm

Depending on who you are this could be a time of celebration or wrist cutting time.

Time for me to get on that Golimar. Now that I can't keep my terrible Metaknight sub reserved for emergencies. If you can even say that "I play" Metaknight at all. I play MEtaknight about as well as anybody that picks up Brawl for ten minutes.

OH WELLLZ

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
sup guys, im most likely going to be hosting a fairly large smash tournament up in fairbanks using one of the big rooms they have for "rent"

im envisioning a 1 day smash tourny extravaganza, singles and teams for both melee and brawl.
possibly a 2 day event depending on how much interest im getting.

any chance any one from here would come to such a thing?

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
HORF HORF HORF

I've been trying to post for like a WEEK now but whenever I log IN I get logged OUT

What the devil man. What the devil. Such mucking garbage. People trying to screwz me oVAR.

Anyway. I made a gamefaqs topic. Something I do not do very OFTEN.

PLEASE COMMENT + <3

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997822-mario-kart-7/60852685

HEE HEE HEE

I also had something on my mind, what was it...........

OHZ I KNOWZ!!!!!

SKYRIM.

AT FIRST.

I was like

NAW. I'M A GONNA GET IT ON PC WHEN I GET A 12 BILLION DOLLAR SUPER COMPUTER SO I CAN RUN HD NUDE MODS ON IT AND STUFF AND STUFF AND STUFF

But now I am like.

NAW X2.

It's coming like in less then 10 DAYS or something like that

and I am SUPER hyped I think.

I cannot WAIT.

Skyrim. I am COMING.

BYE GAIZ

Xanskar

Smash Lord
**** you arthur, baby luigi is the best character mario kart has every come out with

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313240

Someone enlighten me. I don't know what is going on there.

All the man is asking is

"Is homosexuality logical?"

Alright. There is your question.

But...........I don't think......

I seriously doubt someone would ask that question with truly the intent of trying to determine whether or not homosexuality is "logical."

You're not fooling anyone, bud.

Reminds me maybe of something you'd see on Stormfront.

Something along the lines of "Are such-and-such race groups less intelligent then white people?"

Then posting a bunch of "I.Q Test" charts and garbage like that to show that he has data and stats and stuff to back him up.

Then when you ask the guy what his motives behind asking that are he says

"Oh? No reason. Just wondering."

Yeah. Right. Whatever dude.

Just gotta say.

For those of you that don’t know what Stormfront is……..

Well. It’s a white supremacist website. Preeeeetttyyy vile, I’d say. Reading some of the stuff it’s like, what? Really? Am I really reading this? People actually believe this stuff?

It’s like the FlatEarthSociety except it’s not funny and it’s genuine. I think.

I’m probably WRONGZZZZ but hey. What’s new. I’m just some less-then-mediocre guy.

On a side dish………..

SKYRIM COMES OUT FRIDAY.

Rebecca Black really WAS right!

Friday is rockin’ day. Hella. Hella sick.

Dog.

Hella hyped. I’d be hyped for Skyward Sword more if I had a Wii.

I’m kinda hyped for Zelda, but I can only be so hyped for something that I am not going to touch for hmm…….around a year maybe.

Also some more sick news is that with Kid Icarus 3DS coming out soon ( I think ) that means SAKURAI will get to work on SMASH 4.

That will be cool.

Funny Stuff

ooooo just had a good idea what if while you taunt you can hold down as if and you're crouching and you can crouch cancel but your're still in your taunt animation. would be a great mind game or troll.
Typical. Lolz.

Project M Guy: I WONDER what we could put into the game.....hmmmmm......suggestions?

Project M Fan: TAUNT CANCELLING. AIR TAUNT CANCELLING. NORMAL GATLINGS. AIR WAVEDASHING. CANCELCANCELCANCEL

Lol. The equivalent on the Eventhubs or ShorYOUken side would be something like -

Typical Eventhubs comment : "Scrub scrub. Scrub Scrub? Scrub. Scrub scrub. I hate scrubs that spam repetitive, obvious tactics that I can't get around. Etc. etc. etc. stayfree/godlike F-ING ******S SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB

I made that up of course. But it sure looks like something that would be posted on Eventhubs, wouldn't it?

Well.....man. Too late now. Have to keep going.

Here are some of my favorite quotes I have in my quote document thingie or whatever it is called. My response to the quote is below each one.

43. Taskmaster: My man. He got one new move, a blockable command throw where he stabs you and then shoots you. I’m still not sure what the use of this is in combos, but you can OTG assist after. He got no nerfs, and with the air X-Factor addition I think he will move up the ranks a bit.
-IT IS NOT A THROW IF YOU CAN BLOCK IT.

41. Posted by GW on August 25, 2011 at 10:51 a.m. #389
@307
Lol you're just a scrub. You want Cody to be S tier? or A+? They are trying to balance the game not make the game more unbalanced you ******. And Cody is definitely not low tier. He is mid tier, stated by Tokido, Daigo and Mago and it's also quite evident how Momochi and Sasaki decimate even top tier players. You say nothing he gets is really game changing? A cu with 3 frames recovery is not game changing, it's just for noobs like you who want to spam it and have it being totally safe at most times. These balances are meant for high level play not for a scrub who can't space properly and is eating dp's all day.
I'm pretty sure his walk speed is his best buff since it makes him more mobile and improves his footsies. You compared his speed to Ryu but since you are a scrub you do not understand that Cody has way better normals and a way better footsie game especially with the new walk speed. He can also cover distance with prisoner slide and crack kick which makes him more mobile and could easily out footsie Ryu any day.
You also want more hitstun for the ultra 2? It seems that you are just too scrubby and can't connect it from the right distance. O and you want Ex cu to have invincibility? So you can just mash it out on wake up? Your changes are all for scrubs who can't space properly and can't block. This isn't sf4 noob edition, if you want that go play vanilla and spam uppercuts with sagat.
Also Sasaki isn't just fadcing his cu because it is unsafe, he is continuing the pressure because after the cu is blocked, the pressure is reset and if he fadc's he can get a grab or frame trap opportunity so he can continue pressure.
Also Cody already has great changes, A 2 meter safe reversal on techable knockdowns whilst also being in a safe position if fadc'd forward. And the overhead is a massive change. Now it is safe on hit and block when it was really unsafe on block and even hit previously. You can now combo off the hit and set up frame traps if hit low since its +1 on block and also being -1 on block making it one of the best overheads due to the damage, range and comboability. But a scrub like you wouldn't know that.
Now picking up the knife is safe which is also big and having standing jab being +6 on block can frame trap just by spamming but a scrub like you would probably never utilize Cody to his full potential and just never pick up the knife.
Go main Dan, he is a joke like you.
-GW the hardcore guy from Eventhubs. Oh shut up. Scrub scrub scrub. Jesus you sound like a pokemon from the anime or something.
38. Maybe I'm crazy to hope they nerf Hangmen so hes playable for me. I lost my dedication for playing him because they gave him so many options that I felt robbed of being creative and healthy sources of challenges. Now I main ragna who I hope they leave the way he is, the only thing I wanted to was way to build meter and now with burst changes I'm set. (Well carnage scissor buff is reasonable)
Keo-bas from Dustloop
Lol there’s playing to win and then there is playing to………..lose?

You could just name a Kajiit "F10 Tomcat" and make jet engine noises as you run around.
-WeirdShroom
lol

Daggerfall had and still has the best dungeons in TES series. Their size and depth puts anything MW, OB and probably skyrim have. You dont get lost in a DF dungeon for a few hours.. you get lost in them for a few days. Without a mark/recall spell... your lucky if you even find you way back out. That kind of immersion doesnt age like bad graphics.
-KentuckyBob from Gamefaqs
Oh wow. That is some immersion. Gee.

Try this Backthrow combo:
Backthrow, Gauntlet Hades, Followup, 5B, 6A, Superjump, jC, jD, jump cancel Airthrow, Gauntlet Hades, Followup.
Or end it with jC, jD, jumpcancel jC/jD Belial Edge. :)
-Mimeblade on Youtube
Hmmmmm. You know the combo is great when it involves throws in the MIDDLE of the combo.

Could you please take mashable hypers out of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3? — ACBreaker

Svensson: It's in because it was requested by so many people in the first [place]. There are no plans to remove it.
So mashing to make attacks more effective was in because of popular request? I…………….see.
48. #26, I, like your husband, don’t like make-up, & i congratulate you.But I have to say, it does make my wife look younger than she is, & we both like that. A preference for looking at young, rather than old women, is undoubtedly an evolved characteristic of our species. (I believe this isn’t necessarily the case for our closest relatives, the chimpanzees.)
“I don’t like makeup, but I gotta say it makes women look younger and hotter and I kinda prefer that. Evolutionary Psychology.”
am I getting the gist of your post right?
-The Laughing Coyote from Pharyngula
Yeah dude. Like, “I don’t like Make-up, but we like it because it makes my wife looks prettier,” ………huh?

37. Felipe. Frame data has absolutely nothing on how the character performs in battle. Link is high tier because of how well he performs against opponents and his attributes. Frame data is just data used to MAKE the characters. That kind of data has nothing to do with tier positions. Toad is a high tier due to his amazing capabilities and because of how well he fares against opponents. Wario fares rather poor against opponents. Snake also has this problem.
Frame Data has absolutely nothing to do with the character's performs in battle.
-Zeldasmash from Smash Crusade Forums
ZELDASMASH. AND ALL YOU OTHER IDIOTS OVER THERE THAT SHARE THIS INSANE VIEW. YOU ARE A ****ING FOOL. TOAD IS GOOD BECAUSE OF HIS CAPABILITIES AND HOW HE FARES AGAINST OPPONENTS OR SOME VAGUE ****? HOW ABOUT YOU CHANGE ALL OF HIS MOVES TO HAVE A 20 FRAME START UP. THAT’S FRAME DATA, RIGHT? HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW GOOD HE IS, RIGHT? HOW BOUT MELEE FOX THEN. THAT DAMNED SHINE OF HIS. TOO GOOD. CHANGE THE START UP TO 10. IT SHOULDN’T EFFECT HIM SINCE FRAME DATA EXISTS IN SOME MAGICAL LALA LAND THAT DOES NOT INTERACT WITH THE GAME, RIGHT? YEAH. THAT’S WHAT I THOUGHT, WISE ***. **** YOU

24. you spelled combos wrong its kombos
-TheJOmar the BOSS from Youtube

20. After reading all of these posts I'm guessing Oni isn't the type of character that scrubs could use effectively, am i right?
i am really impressed by his move reading strategy, looks like you need to be really observant.
-Desprarado_Chaos from Shoryuken
Ugh. I HAAAATTTTTTEEEEE scrubs! ****ing scrubs. Nothing worse then scrubs destroying me with simplistic, repetitive, and obvious tactics. Never mind that such a playstyle should be easy for such a great player as I to get around. I just hate scrub tactics. Lol.

11. yeah, really? Why would play marvel if you didn't want the entire game to be broken? Isn't that, like, the point of marvel?
I am so confused by this community.
-Stew from Shoryuken

Dumb

And now for the grand universe quote
47. *sigh* Mirror matches are NOT always even- again, if you read Japanese BBS you'd know. In Japan, difficulty of mirror match is based on how differently you need to play the character during the mirror, and whether you gain or lose your main tools. For example, as a Ragna player, I don't have to adjust my playstyle for the mirror (just space my 5b)- I actually get new tools to use specifically for the match (double berial variation, dp clashing gimmicks, etc). Because of these factors, it's generally accepted here that Ragna has a relatively easy mirror, which acts as a 6-4 matchup when it comes to character ranking. On the other hand, Arakune mirrors cause the player to play a completely different style plus he loses a lot of his options (where's your curse pressure when you're cursed yourself?). Last I read, the Japanese said he has the hardest mirror and ranked it at 3-7 in terms of character ranking, but I haven't checked recently. And then finally, a lot of chars like Bang/Tsubaki/Hakumen have relatively plain mirrors which get 5-5 in terms of character ranking.

But again, I don't think US is ready to add in these factors when they're still putting out tier lists like this one. Maybe wait until BBCS2, then give it a try.
-Jiyuna
AND FROM THEN ON, THE WORLD SLIPPED INTO RUIN.

GOODBYE

Actually.....I am not sure if the Grand Universe Quote belongs to the character ditto thing.

I really like the "Frame data has nothing to do with how good a character is" one a lot. And I mean a WHOLE lot. Lol.

Kay-O bye for real.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master

Arthur why did you just take a random post from some dude in the Project M thread and assume it would be added into the game? And the only ones of those things you mentioned that is in P:M is taunt cancelling and normal gatlings >_>

Also, have you ever played Daggerfall? That games is ****ing ginormous, like really, it's ridiculous. The problem is that everything is the same but generated slightly differently. Like every dungeon is pretty much the same with a different layout.

Also I can see the final posts point of view, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Also I get Skyrim Thursday night at 10 since I'm getting it on Steam

Why won't my signature appear wtf

Xanskar

Smash Lord
actually there are throws that are blockable, arthur

see things like Alex's back + heavy punch in 3rd strike, Oro's half circle back + punch. Those can't be parried but they can be blocked, and they are throws.

you're a dumb

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
-XANSKAR
It's not a throw if you can block it. I'm pretty sure the definition of "throw" or "grab" is that it is unblockable, not the animation.

Ibuki's slide thingie looks like a throw since she like you know, jumps on your neck and spins around or whatever, but no. You can block it, so no.

Ibuki’s slide attack is a low, not a throw.

I actually think it might be better for people to stop calling things throws and just call them unblockables because there are quite a few attacks that have a throw-ish animation........yet they can be blocked.

I think it has more to do with tradition that unblockables tend to be called grabs. Just like a lot of things. "Grab" is also a lot less to say then "unblockable."

Then again, I can’t think of a single actual throw that doesn’t look like a throw. Hrrrmmmmm.

-FLAGELLUM
Dude, I actually have played Daggerfall. ( Thanks to it being a free download. I have yet to try Arena though. ) I have never gotten so bored of a game so quickly. Fascinating battle system. Attack while moving backwards until your foe dies. You get arrested for resting in town. You run out of stamina in town like say, in the safety of an inn room or whatever? Guess what.

YOU DIE. You fall prey to beasts or whatever even though you should have people backing you up. WHATEVER.

Lol that is one insane game. Think Morrowind is hardcore compared to Oblivion? Try DAGGERFALL I mean wow. Crazy stuff.

I certainly know that it has a gigantic landscape but...........obviously enough one would have the common sense to assume that some dude would not be able to create a super compelling and unique world that is that large. Uh, so what I mean is yeah, of course. A lot of it is randomly generated. That is to be expected.

That KentuckyBob guy. What a guy. Lolz.

Some immersion…….getting stuck in a randomly generated dungeon for days……..sounds compelling.

About Project M.

Naw dude. I didn’t assume any of that would be in the game.

I am just poking fun at what a lot of people say on the Project M forums. As I said, I see more focus on AT’s and stuff rather then being good at the game.
My gosh…….do these GAIZ realize that cancels are NOT the norm in smash?

Like, just now I read about some guy wanting to be able to jump cancel out of kirby’s dash attack or something. Right-O dude.

Don’t even get me started on Project M’s vision of Lucario they have in mind. Jesus he’s exactly like a traditional fighting game character.

Anyway.

SKYRIM.

Mmmmm. I’m kinda burned out on Skyrim right now. I think I might have to give it a little more time before I give it a score, but at the moment I would give it a 9. Maybeeeeeeeee an 8. I dunno. I’m kinda bummed on Elder Scrolls right now. I think Zelda is more my style then Elder Scrolls. So yeah, I guess I am disappointed, kinda. From the perspective of a “I thought this was going to be like, the best game ever and I am going to be playing it for the next few months or something like that” sorta thingie, yeah. No way. I feel kinda how I felt with Fable 2. It’s like, I reach this certain point where I start to see how certain things work then it’s like BLUUUUREEEEEERRRGGHHHH I’m done here.

And I have yet to really play Fable 2 after reaching that point with the game.

It’s just…….there is not so much gameplay variation for me. It’s just kills enemies and stuff. Like yeah, there is stuff like smithing and enchanting and alchemy and stealing and stuff…….but that is all towards making better gear/keeping yourself alive. It’s……it’s like, it looks like there is a lot of stuff to do, and I guess there is, but it’s all just for the combat. Which isn’t a particularly brilliant combat system. Still. It’s better then Oblivion’s combat system, that’s for sure.

Then you look at a Zelda game nowadays and you have like, puzzles and stuff. Different minigames. Not just gear and combat.

On College of Winterhold. Wowzers MOWZERS. From what I read on gamefaqs it was kinda short, and WOW.

Is it ever. Seriously. Unless my memory fails me, (wouldn’t surprise me, I am getting along in my years) it’s like, begin, field trip to ruins, find books, get staff, and FINAL BATTLE. DONE. With a bit of fluff here and there. Like really. Wow. Too bad really. I found the college fascinating. It was kinda like harry potter and stuff. Yeah man, yeah.

By the way, in case you don’t know, Skyrim has some really broken stuff in it. Like, you can be MAD powerful and stuff. It’s kinda nice to see that. It makes me think a game isn’t so streamlined/simplified when it still has a lot of broken stuff in it. Not to say it isn’t streamlined, because it is. Very much so. Could be a good or bad thing. Feels less like an RPG and more like an adventure game, that’s for sure.

Yeah man, yeah. I dunno if I can DO much more Skyrim, if you know what I mean.

Maybe I can. I mean, I haven’t done all that many of the quests and stuff. Like, at ALL.

But I know that when I do……..it’s just combat. No gameplay variation or anything. Just…….it’s unfortunate. Like as I mentioned with Zelda. Let’s use say……Twilight Princess. (WHAT? TP? F THAT TP IS TERRIBAD OoT FTW BLARGBLARGBLARG)

Anyway. Twilight Princess. I can look forward to puzzles and stuff. Different kinds of minigames. Y’know, gameplay that isn’t just revolved around running around and attacking people.

We’ll see, I guess.

OH I ALSO FORGOT AGAIN MAYBE.

Skyrim had my very leery at first because of controls. Yes. It controls slower or less responsive then Oblivion. And I NEED good controls. I couldn’t enjoy Fable 2 because of the controls. Yeah. But it’s fine now. Skyrim I mean. Obviously. If it was so bad I would not be playing anymore. Yeah.

Peach out gorfs. Until next time, gorfs.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
Uh yes, Ibuki's slide attack (neckbreaker) is a low, not a throw. That's why I said absolutely nothing about it, it was Phang who said stuff about them. The things I listed are blockable throws, period. They can't be parried, but can be blocked, and have throw animations. They are throws. The only unblockable thing that has a grab animation that I wouldn't call a throw is Raging Demon, but even then it's more of a throw then a lot of the things in games.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
Mmmm that Alex thingie sure sounds weird. Wiffs on crouch or somethin' other, who knows. I don't understand it.

Oro though. Nice guy. Easy to understand. It's not a grab if you can block it, yo. I don't care if the animation has your man grabbing the other dude and throwing them. If you can block it, then it's a low, mid, high, whatever. Just not a throw. Animation does not matter.

So I think. If people really determine a grab by the animation then I think I've lost hope for humanity.

Ah, hang it. Who cares.

As a side dish, I remember EXACTLY where I was two years ago, today. Yesterday and today, actually. Harrr harrr harrr. Or was it THREE years?

I think it was two. Yeah, it was two. So hard to remember. Goshdarn. F me. Woooooo hoooooo

And man. Skyrim. I think I'll have to pick up King of Fighters XIII. I can't do Skyrim. All I see in my future with Skyrim is identical gameplay dressed up as something different and endless plains of like, nothing. Man. What a drag.

I think I'll get it today. Well, maybe not. But soon. Then I can get down to Iori-chan. Who by the way, had/has? a move in 98/99 where he rushes at the opponent and slams them into the ground, but since you can block it, is not a throw even though it looks like one.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Hello, yellow.

So do any of you guys ever play melee at all? Sounds like Brad's been playing somewhat frequently with Ben and Cody, for those who remember them. Kind of crazy that you guys haven't met up yet.

P.S. I'll be living in Anchorage next winter again and I intend to revive AK melee somewhat. If it isn't going at all by then. Yes, laugh it up. But wasn't it crazy for Derek to try and start a scene all those years ago, being almost the only dude in Alaska who knew anything at all about competitive smash? And look where it eventually got. Who cares if this game is 10 years old? PLAY that ****.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
jordan
matt savage and ean and mel live together
they play melee

arthur
**** you they're grabs

xCKx

Smash Rookie
Hey guys it's Chris the old falco player. I'm gonna be in Anchorage for around a month and I really really want to play some melee. Anyone want to play soon-ish?

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
Hey guys it's Chris the old falco player. I'm gonna be in Anchorage for around a month and I really really want to play some melee. Anyone want to play soon-ish?
I challenge you to a money match of any amount you choose. my finals are done so i got nothing to do for a month. 9079471368. bring it.

xCKx

Smash Rookie
yea that's me.

I challenge you to a money match of any amount you choose. my finals are done so i got nothing to do for a month. 9079471368. bring it.
$5 Bo5? I'll be in Anchorage Thursday morning so anytime after that I guess. I want to play a lot of melee while I'm there.

xCKx

Smash Rookie
Nice games everyone and nice to see some old faces. I'm not sure who exactly I played with but it was fun and I'm up for playing more if anyone want's to play again.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
>Be 15
>Be friends with arrogant douche
>Douche's name is Billie
>Hang out one day
>Go to mall
>Go pick up chicks
>Find group of 3
>One fat chick
>Two hot ones
>Fat chick has to leave