• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Anime

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think the Auburn monthly shouldn't overlap with HP, and I agree that the only acceptable overlap should be Mobile/Huntsville, but I don't know how to best implement that, because if HP changes to the same weekend as HASL, we start to overlap with Gulf Coast tournaments, specifically Pensacola's.
We have the same problem you have, except with Atlanta. Honestly, when you include them, it's impossible to not overlap with everybody, and you guys are just the furthest one from us.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman

GingerJesus

Smash Rookie
NNID
GingerJesus115
****, it wasn't October. It must have been November that was that big then. Because the first HP we've run was in September, I think, because that the first month after Brannon left. My b on that, lol. These things run together in my head now.

Found it. Google is a better than Smashboards. http://smashboards.com/threads/hidden-power-november-2015-results.423726/

Edit: Melee didn't have more than fifty, but close, lol. Whoop.

Anime Anime I understand that, but there are three big tournaments up there, and one down there. I know you're trying to maximize turnout by not colliding with them, but by colliding with us, that really cuts us off from the rest of the state. How close are you to Huntsville? Wouldn't it be best to overlap with them? That gives more of a choice to Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, and also give us the ability to go there. We're finally trying to make a push to get all of these lazy Mobile smashers to more Alabama tournaments, and Auburn isn't a bad drive. (Also I can crash at the yung Dronathan's.) Coming to Bio was only the start.

Last edited:

Anime

Smash Journeyman
GingerJesus GingerJesus I honestly am not involved in the planning of the monthly. But it sounds like we are pushing it back until at least may. I'll talk to people about what you've brought up.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Anime Anime I understand that, but there are three big tournaments up there, and one down there. I know you're trying to maximize turnout by not colliding with them, but by colliding with us, that really cuts us off from the rest of the state. How close are you to Huntsville? Wouldn't it be best to overlap with them? That gives more of a choice to Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, and also give us the ability to go there. We're finally trying to make a push to get all of these lazy Mobile smashers to more Alabama tournaments, and Auburn isn't a bad drive. (Also I can crash at the yung Dronathan's.) Coming to Bio was only the start.
The thing with that is HP kinda messed up our whole operation when they switched to Saturday's, we were close to announcing a monthly for the second week of the month when you guys decided to change days. Then out of respect we held off and gave it a few months to see how things went. HP is special to me personally, because 1) Brannon is one of my best friends and 2) I'm from Mobile, but something has got to give. Using the same day as Hasl is not good because a lot of the Auburn players frequently go to / live in Hunstville. But changing dates isn't my call I'm not the main TO of Bad Manners. I just run a little thing called Don't Get Rekt....its a hoot you guys should come.

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
Dang man, if I still lived in the Gump I would have considered getting something started there. Even if I'm lazy af when it comes to organizing big scale stuff like a tournament it would've been worth it for you guys. Welp, let's see how Dinowulf handles this once he gets his footing.

GingerJesus

Smash Rookie
NNID
GingerJesus115
Anime Anime Thank you, my dude.
The thing with that is HP kinda messed up our whole operation when they switched to Saturday's, we were close to announcing a monthly for the second week of the month when you guys decided to change days. Then out of respect we held off and gave it a few months to see how things went. HP is special to me personally, because 1) Brannon is one of my best friends and 2) I'm from Mobile, but something has got to give. Using the same day as Hasl is not good because a lot of the Auburn players frequently go to / live in Hunstville. But changing dates isn't my call I'm not the main TO of Bad Manners. I just run a little thing called Don't Get Rekt....its a hoot you guys should come.
Oh, man, I'm sorry, dude. Sunday was incredibly limiting for us. Brannon has paved so much for us here, and we couldn't let what he started just end. Naturally, we had to keep it going. This is why I want to be in better communication with the rest of the state. We had no clue. I plan on trying to make it out to one. Not sure if we may change the HP for April or just not hold one for you. Pensacola has big interest, so I don't want to cut that off for you.

Child Star

Smash Ace
Where'd you go to highschool?

sound

Banned via Warnings
Sometimes there are 5 weeks.
True, but those months are usually just 4 weeks + 2/3 awkward days

4 weeks per month / 5 main regions of AL (N, S, E, W, Central) = Someone's gonna have to overlap
The problem is that Huntsville has a better scene than Mobile. It doesn't make sense to overlap E, W, or Central because of proximity and you can't have North or South overlap without E, W, and Central having to pick between the two. So attendance will favor whichever has a better scene/tournament.

So basically, it boils down to survival of the fittest

Keet

Smash Journeyman
True, but those months are usually just 4 weeks + 2/3 awkward days

4 weeks per month / 5 main regions of AL (N, S, E, W, Central) = Someone's gonna have to overlap
The problem is that Huntsville has a better scene than Mobile. It doesn't make sense to overlap E, W, or Central because of proximity and you can't have North or South overlap without E, W, and Central having to pick between the two. So attendance will favor whichever has a better scene/tournament.

So basically, it boils down to survival of the fittest
There's not really an issue with overlap when you're talking places like Mobile to Huntsville. Honestly People need to only worry about overlapping monthlies within, I'd say, a 3-4 hour drive max.

It's mundane to split up the state into regions when other states are even closer than these regions are from each other.

Last edited:

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Oh, man, I'm sorry, dude. Sunday was incredibly limiting for us. Brannon has paved so much for us here, and we couldn't let what he started just end. Naturally, we had to keep it going. This is why I want to be in better communication with the rest of the state. We had no clue. I plan on trying to make it out to one. Not sure if we may change the HP for April or just not hold one for you. Pensacola has big interest, so I don't want to cut that off for you.
Its cool bro, I understand that things must be done for the betterment of your scene. We do need better communication between our state. The TO Organizers Facebook Group kinda just stopped. When it comes down to it all the TO's have been coming up short on trying to include HP in things and we have to remedy this.

Where'd you go to highschool?
Only the most prestigious of public schooling Murphy High School

Child Star

Smash Ace
Its cool bro, I understand that things must be done for the betterment of your scene. We do need better communication between our state. The TO Organizers Facebook Group kinda just stopped. When it comes down to it all the TO's have been coming up short on trying to include HP in things and we have to remedy this.

Only the most prestigious of public schooling Murphy High School
Fuccck murphy baker b boys 4 life.

Top Bottom