• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
Yo @ Zoma Zoma thanks for the SHDL tip man, I'm starting to get the hang of it.
The hardest part is controlling your fingers well enough to not start mashing B or full hopping. When you do it enough, it feels (and even looks) like a simple motion, rather than the crazy flailing of thumbs that it starts as.

Where the hell are my tips @ Zoma Zoma
Did you check the tip jar?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Its bad when anime turns its back on you.

Also why does your friend keep setting you up to get burned?
Any friend that would set up him up for a burn is just stealing his joy. Besides I don't think he even exists.

It sounds like his friend is a theif... A PhantomThief.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Shout outs to Ark for trying to JV5 the poor kid on stream, and getting 9% away from it. He's an evil man.

Edit: Get good, get seeded. It's the only sure fire way.

Last edited:

S£NPAI

Smash Apprentice
The hardest part is controlling your fingers well enough to not start mashing B or full hopping. When you do it enough, it feels (and even looks) like a simple motion, rather than the crazy flailing of thumbs that it starts as.

It sort of reminds me of sliding frets on a guitar, idk once i realized the motion I've gotten some what consistent at it. Yeah I was mashing so hard before the motion clicked and it was starting to frustrate me.

Last edited:

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I don't like the way "fixed" PM characters play. That might be the reason why I don't like PM. It feels like instead of playing the game the devs are saying use these techs on these characters instead of giving everyone equal abilities

Child Star

Smash Ace
everyone stop ****posting and go read this https://www.facebook.com/groups/alabamasmashleague/permalink/941259615939382/

enough people have already volunteered for points #1 and #2, but #3 still needs some love
Goodluck getting HASL off their brand, if youre looking to centralize the brand having the HASL brand competing within the state isnt doing you any favors. Cutting VODS on an ASL channel kinda goes hand in hand with brand centralization. On the other hand, some streams and VODS are better than no streams and VODS.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
If I'm correct, i don't think HASL has any issues with ASL. The ASL actually came first and when that started slowing down then HASL started. I don't think we'd drop our brand but working together will very much be a thing

Child Star

Smash Ace
If I'm correct, i don't think HASL has any issues with ASL. The ASL actually came first and when that started slowing down then HASL started. I don't think we'd drop our brand but working together will very much be a thing
No one is arguing that HASL wont help, historically they've helped, but if we are looking to centralize the smash scene under the ASL banner there wont be room for the HASL brand, which is conflicting because HASL is established.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
HASL has worked way too hard for them to give up their brand/stream, so I would never expect assistance from them in particular

I think the best thing for the state would've been to just hand over everything ASL-related to them before they started working on the HASL brand, but it's definitely way too late for that now

I just want the state as a whole to have a few more basic community-based resources

Child Star

Smash Ace
HASL has worked way too hard for them to give up their brand/stream, so I would never expect assistance from them in particular

I think the best thing for the state would've been to just hand over everything ASL-related to them before they started working on the HASL brand, but it's definitely way too late for that now

I just want the state as a whole to have a few more basic community-based resources
Well expecting the rest of us to integrate while excluding HASL comes off as cheap, most of the regions have at least some branding. Also ive always thought first and foremost we develop talent for people to watch. On another note, I jokingly (****postingly) made an AMA on the PM subreddit and i got a few replies from guys in Alabama that didn't know where any of the scene HUBs were. There is at least some potential to find new members through better marketing/outreach.

EDIT:
Sending out an ASL emblem to throw into the streams is a pretty good idea.

Last edited:

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I think branding ASL without trying to shut anyone else out can be a big thing too. But we shouldn't be forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. At the minimum I think the ASL banner on streams is reasonable. For people who can stream but don't currently have a strong upload channel or twitch channel then uploading matches to twitch or using the ASL twitch account can be beneficial

Child Star

Smash Ace
All im saying is that doing more than very small things to enhance ASL brand awareness will be impossible to implement retroactively. If people want to give their uploads to tge ASL youtube channel (and someone from Alabama wins Tipped Off) we might be able to do that. If we could go back in time having every stream flying ASL colors and logos would be the best option. Everyone knows HASLs stream looks the best and everyone would have benefitted from similar quality under a unified logo.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
The streams don't have to look the best. ASL should be more about raising the awareness that AL has a strong smash scene. That's why logos and the tshirts are a big thing

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Auburn's been kind of on the fence for whether we should start a DGR or Auburn Twitch. We want to grow the DGR brand, because we want that tournament series to pull more and more from both Alabama and Georgia (that sweet, sweet border). Definetly we'll make sure to feature the ASL logo heavily, and if we don't stream on an Auburn twitch, we'll run a game through the ASL twitch. I don't mind giving the vods to the ASL youtube, either.

Top Bottom