• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Today I went to a local tournament for smash 4 because I thought it would be free money. There were no adapters so I had to use a Wiimote, and the tournament style was stock free-for-all for the first two rounds.
First round, I get put into a FFA group that consists of just me and two brothers.
This is the first time I've ever gotten dead-last at a tournament in my life, and it was a local where everyone sucked.

The end.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Today I went to a local tournament for smash 4 because I thought it would be free money. There were no adapters so I had to use a Wiimote, and the tournament style was stock free-for-all for the first two rounds.
First round, I get put into a FFA group that consists of just me and two brothers.
This is the first time I've ever gotten dead-last at a tournament in my life, and it was a local where everyone sucked.

The end.
lmfao
where did this tournament take place?

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Hi does Northern Virginia belong in this board or does it go to the Northern Atlantic ? I can't find VA in either

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
Hi does Northern Virginia belong in this board or does it go to the Northern Atlantic ? I can't find VA in either
Northern Atlantic I'm pretty sure. I don't think the Northern Atlantic board has threads like Atlantic South though, I guess they do most of their stuff through Facebook. You can find a pretty comprehensive list of Facebook groups here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/wiki/facebook

gllt

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm glltskype on skype and gllt on steam. I'm just glad to know other people exist here.
I know NO ONE to play video games with. I'll pick up/learn smash just to have a scene. Les go.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Well, I'm glltskype on skype and gllt on steam. I'm just glad to know other people exist here.
I know NO ONE to play video games with. I'll pick up/learn smash just to have a scene. Les go.
Come with us on saturday. We're going to a tournament in pensacola.

Last edited:

gllt

Smash Rookie
Come with us on saturday. We're going to a tournament in pensacola.
Aw crud, there's no way I can make that. I'm way too broke and tied down right now.
I'm gonna have to get to know some of you via skype/etc and then come to something more local first, I'm sorry. :(

Oh, so you don't already play? I suggest Project M: it's the good game.
What do you play?
I was interested in PM yeah. I haven't played it yet. I've played 64, Melee, and Brawl, but only alone. I've had maybe 1-2 casuals in melee and brawl, ever.

I play Skullgirls primarily. Picked it up at PC release and I've sunk in about 2346 hours, most of it in lab, either grinding execution or making some sort of combo or tech. I like to know about system mechanics and frame data and the like. Before SG, I just mashed on the controller. Now I mash with 50% intent to probably do a thing.

I play KOF XIII on the side. I've dabbled with GGXXAC+R, UNIEL, BBCPEX, P4AU, Melty Blood, USF4, VSAV, and other stuff.

I like being an aggressive player. I'm not good at keepaway/zoning. I want to be in peoples face's, doing things. But this might change between games. I know nothing about smash!!

So yeah, I have a lot to learn.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Aw crud, there's no way I can make that. I'm way too broke and tied down right now.
I'm gonna have to get to know some of you via skype/etc and then come to something more local first, I'm sorry. :(

I was interested in PM yeah. I haven't played it yet. I've played 64, Melee, and Brawl, but only alone. I've had maybe 1-2 casuals in melee and brawl, ever.

I play Skullgirls primarily. Picked it up at PC release and I've sunk in about 2346 hours, most of it in lab, either grinding execution or making some sort of combo or tech. I like to know about system mechanics and frame data and the like. Before SG, I just mashed on the controller. Now I mash with 50% intent to probably do a thing.

I play KOF XIII on the side. I've dabbled with GGXXAC+R, UNIEL, BBCPEX, P4AU, Melty Blood, USF4, VSAV, and other stuff.

I like being an aggressive player. I'm not good at keepaway/zoning. I want to be in peoples face's, doing things. But this might change between games. I know nothing about smash!!

So yeah, I have a lot to learn.
Play Fox or Falco ;)

Anime

Smash Journeyman
From your game list, you'd probably like melee/project m the best. Those are the faster paced games.

Eranthe

Smash Rookie
anyone around jasper-birmingham area? looking for training partners and i would really like to get a regular tournament in the area going, but there are a lot of questions i don't know the answers to.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
anyone around jasper-birmingham area? looking for training partners and i would really like to get a regular tournament in the area going, but there are a lot of questions i don't know the answers to.
If you want some help with tournaments, we have a very active scene in Tuscaloosa that's more than willing to help out.

Eranthe

Smash Rookie
If you want some help with tournaments, we have a very active scene in Tuscaloosa that's more than willing to help out.
i just don't know how receptive venues will be in this area, and i'm not entirely sure of the expenses. there's a decent place here in town but i don't know if i could attract enough people to justify renting the place. otherwise i'd have to resort to finding someone with a big house or shop or something until there's more support/attendance.

definitely am super interested in having a local tournament though.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
i just don't know how receptive venues will be in this area, and i'm not entirely sure of the expenses. there's a decent place here in town but i don't know if i could attract enough people to justify renting the place. otherwise i'd have to resort to finding someone with a big house or shop or something until there's more support/attendance.

definitely am super interested in having a local tournament though.
The great thing about Birmingham is that if there's a quality tournament you could attract both Tuscaloosa and Huntsville, who are (probably) the two biggest scenes in AL.

Eranthe

Smash Rookie
The great thing about Birmingham is that if there's a quality tournament you could attract both Tuscaloosa and Huntsville, who are (probably) the two biggest scenes in AL.
therein lies one of the problems. i'm from jasper, and while i'm familiar with birmingham, i don't live there or know anyone with access to a venue. i do agree that being centrally located, bham has huge potential to draw smashers from all around the state since it's not that far from anywhere (except maybe extreme south areas, sorry mobile)

that's one of the reasons i made the post to begin with, to get in touch with someone that likes to play in this area so we can talk about these kinds of things. the post isn't that old though so maybe someone will reply to the thread later.

if i figure anything out, i'll start a facebook page or otherwise keep this thread updated with new info. either way, if anyone is from around here or is willing to travel here for a tournament, let me know so i can think about what will be needed.

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
Keno might be able to help.

Also, Tuscaloosa would bring 4-8+ people to a tournament in Birmingham, depending on whether it's summer or fall.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i live in birmingham and am willing to play but it's been hard to get a scene going here. Right now we have Top Games in gardendale and Press Start in Alabaster who hold smallish local tournaments somewhat frequently, like at least once every two months, sometimes more often. Also there is Playover Games in Ensley, which I think has smash tournaments pretty often but doesn't advertise that much on smashboards. I think both Playover and Top Gamers have smashfests like every week, but I'm not sure if anyone goes. All of those places are privately-owned businesses so you'd have to talk to the owners/employees to try and get things set up, and ymmv. Even though there are 3 venues, there still aren't very many tournaments overall, and when we do have tournaments, the jankiness/poor timing/bad advertising usually results in low attendance and virtually no traveling from other regions

powergamer

Smash Apprentice
If the trussville biweeklies were actually a thing I would help with them.

And even if they aren't I may try to get something started in here for the summer

NNID
MasterIcarus7
If the trussville biweeklies were actually a thing I would help with them.

And even if they aren't I may try to get something started in here for the summer
Are you talking about IdaGamer? I went last time, it was well run and they did fairly distribute prizes. I am not sure but I think the one I went to might have been the final one, but I am not sure.

Top Bottom