• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Being a non-English speaker is not analogous to being physically handicapped in any way shape or form. It's insulting if nothing else. The inability to speak English is not a disability, and implying that it is insults both groups of people.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Being a non-English speaker is not analogous to being physically handicapped in any way shape or form. It's insulting if nothing else. The inability to speak English is not a disability, and implying that it is insults both groups of people.
It's an impairment to live a "normal" life in society. I think it's pretty similar in essence.

It's not so much an impairment in actuality now because you can still do everything you could want. Most hospitals keep interpreters on hand, and most government officials do too. But it's a slippery slope.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
disabled people are a significant minority group just as much as gay people or latino people lol what the **** are you talking about.
the only reason there are laws to help disabled people is because of lobbyist and community activists.
The default American mindset is to not give a **** about its minority groups.
But when you add in racism and nationalism to the picture it becomes ten times worse.

im not sure if you understand how analogies work. the purpose of an analogy is not to say, hey this thing is the same as this other thing in every way possible.

when you say life is like a box of chocolates you are not saying that life and chocolate are the same thing.

http://www.playedonline.com/game/598161/super-mario-crossover.html
ANYWAY best game ever.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
It's an impairment to live a "normal" life in society. I think it's pretty similar in essence.
You can eventually learn a foreign language, and you perform plenty of jobs and get around perfectly fine in your life never speaking a word of English.

There is nothing you can do to 'learn' how to walk up stairs if your spine is broken. I can't "learn" to read with my eyes if I'm blind.

There are some concessions that you make for people because of their physical limitations. There are some concessions that you make for people because of mental limitations. There are some concessions that you make for people because of the perception of society against them.

But saying that the three of these categories is basically the same is patently false.

Saying that someone has a disability due to a language barrier is insulting to that person. It is insulting to those who have a disability, because they are not comparable.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
You can eventually learn a foreign language, and you perform plenty of jobs and get around perfectly fine in your life never speaking a word of English.

There is nothing you can do to 'learn' how to walk up stairs if your spine is broken. I can't "learn" to read with my eyes if I'm blind.

There are some concessions that you make for people because of their physical limitations. There are some concessions that you make for people because of mental limitations. There are some concessions that you make for people because of the perception of society against them.

But saying that the three of these categories is basically the same is patently false.

Saying that someone has a disability due to a language barrier is insulting to that person. It is insulting to those who have a disability, because they are not comparable.
No, it's a stupid point and not really the one I was trying to make. I'm thinking purely from a governmental standpoint here. Who should get special treatment for their "condition" (work with me here) and who doesn't. American values tend to follow the Emersonian ideal that if you have the ability to get from point A to point B, you should be doing everything within your power to get to B on your own. And if you can't? Well, the government should make sure it's provided for you. If you can? Well, have fun gettin' to work on that.

Like health insurance. If you don't have the money to buy it, well, you should go make a lemonade stand and start making some money for it. The Tim Jameses would agree with that one. I'm saying that multi-lingual options for the driver's license test should be another courtesy similar to a mandate for elevators in public buildings with stairs in them.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The reasoning in that ad is purely racist/xenophobic, I think you and I can agree on that.

But I don't think that 'multi-lingual options' is analogous in this case to concessions for those with disabilities. That is a slippery slope. There are a lot of languages in the world, and you are not going to be able to provide an option to each and every one of them. The government should not be required to offer its licenses in every written language, that much is certain. Likewise, hospitals should not feel obliged to employ someone who speaks every language or who can translate every language. That's absurd.

That ad goes in completely the opposite direction and says "Only English, because shouldn't foreigners have to speak English?" without even going to the fundamentals of why you should have a multilingual test.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Whatever the reason is, American nationalism is out of control. We are so nationalist and racist here that WE DON'T CARE IF printing our signs in two languages will bring us more money.
Not at the Home Depot! Everything is printed in Spanish as well as English. The store that cares:)

Speaking of which, I no longer have a life. I miss everyone:(

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
haha, im here debating with my parents about the driver's test issue.

so funny, theyre getting heated.

my dad asked "well, what language are the signs?"

my mom-"sign language, so... they should give it in that language too."

****tards

Winnar

Smash Lord
Omfg guyz i do not know the language what the **** does this mean

lmao awesome

haha, im here debating with my parents about the driver's test issue.

so funny, theyre getting heated.

my dad asked "well, what language are the signs?"

my mom-"sign language, so... they should give it in that language too."

****tards
omfg

I'm dying XFD

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i have a guy just like munkus in my english class.

lol
he is chopped full of facts.
he calls me out everyday.

too bad we are discussing stupid things like macbeth and shakespear, both of which i have literally no interest or previous knoledge of.

its like a 10th grade lit class, forreal.
and i hated high school and came out with a 1.7

im not much of a fight for this guy.

NOW IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BEAT GENERATIONS AND ****!
i wish i had him in a class like that.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
If you have actually concluded that this is what I was saying or implying, then this conversation doesn't need to occur any further.
disabled people are a significant minority group just as much as gay people or latino people

the only reason there are laws to help disabled people is because of lobbyist and community activists
im not sure if you understand how analogies work. the purpose of an analogy is not to say, hey this thing is the same as this other thing in every way possible.
I'm sorry that you apparently weren't actually a part of the conversation that you participated in.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
My favorite villain in Shakespeare is Iago.

Macbeth was a great play. "from his mother's womb untimely ripped." Macbeth's the original dude to get sandbagged during a match. Straight up counterpicked, son.

Handorin

Smash Hero
MacBeth made this amazing insult to someone about their haircut though, but I can't find it. >_<

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
I had to do a children's play of Macbeth during my Freshman year.

I had to run off stage and urge people to do the "Charge!" theme.

Theatre arts is ****ing stupid.
haha. i remember that! me and mom showed up and laughed the whole ****ing time!

i liked reading shakespear like 5 times to understand what was being said, cliche--i like hamlet the most, something about that one.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
My favorite villain in Shakespeare is Iago.

Macbeth was a great play. "from his mother's womb untimely ripped." Macbeth's the original dude to get sandbagged during a match. Straight up counterpicked, son.
Iago was pretty **** dastardly. And nah, Macbeth was beat in his head before the match started. He believed that it was an effective counterpick, which was more or less the whole moral of the play(consequences of believing in fate rather than making your own).

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
He totally got counterpicked and sandbagged.

"You can only be killed by a man not from woman born."

"Sweet this dude is from woman born."

"Surprise! I'm from woman's womb untimely ripped!"

"Oh dang son you spamming nado gg i quit scrub"

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
so now you guys are gonna go have a discussion about macbeth right after i said i hate talking about that.
sound familiar?

do you guys do this to me on purpose?

maybe i just tell you guys things that i hate and you talk about them.

wait... does that really happen?

**** son.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'm sorry that you apparently weren't actually a part of the conversation that you participated in.
the first thing you quoted was not written by me. and the second thing you quoted in no way whatsoever says or implies that speaking a foreign language is a disability.

So if you're going to make up my argument for me, I'm not interested in continuing the discussion.

Or if you're arguing against someone else's point rather than mine then there's no reason for me to participate, wouldn't you say.

Winnar

Smash Lord
so now you guys are gonna go have a discussion about macbeth right after i said i hate talking about that.
sound familiar?

do you guys do this to me on purpose?

maybe i just tell you guys things that i hate and you talk about them.

wait... does that really happen?

**** son.
maybe you just never gave it a chance?

Shakespeare has some pretty legit stuff tbh, it's just really weird to read it

no fear shakespeare is pretty cool because they have the original text and then they have plain english text for those of us who don't really feel like relearning english

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Excerpt from The Tragedy of Titus Andronicus
- ACT IV, SCENE II

DEMETRIUS

Villain, what hast thou done?

AARON

That which thou canst not undo.

CHIRON

Thou hast undone our mother.

AARON

Villain, I have done thy mother.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
in a clockwork orange the main guy is in love with shakespear.

or was that bethoven?

same thing.

and i was just kidding about the conversation thing haha.

sarcasm is so hard to pick out online...

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
tomorrow is our dad's bday--62! makes ME feel old!

if you come over it has to be after 10pm, prolly a little late for some, sorrie.

sat is a ssf4 tournament...maybe sat night.

Top Bottom