• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be better for society to just make tobacco illegal.
From a physical standpoint yes, not so much for society overall.

When you allow the government to choose what rights to allow, you infringe on the peoples' personal freedoms. Banning smoking in the name of health opens a gateway of other arbitrary laws to be forced on a person "for their own good".

Not to mention the whole prohibition thing that didn't work out too well in the early 1900's.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
From a physical standpoint yes, not so much for society overall.

When you allow the government to choose what rights to allow, you infringe on the peoples' personal freedoms. Banning smoking in the name of health opens a gateway of other arbitrary laws to be forced on a person "for their own good".

Not to mention the whole prohibition thing that didn't work out too well in the early 1900's.
Let me rephrase what I said to bring it closer to my original intent:

Tobacco is legal because it has been legal. It would have been better overall to just ban the **** thing from its inception, but we're kinda past that point. Arguing that some thing is not as bad a Tobacco, a legal substance, is not a valid point to make. It'd be beneficial to ban Tobacco, but it is logistically impossible due to how much it is currently ingrained (hence why prohibition didn't work).

And no, I don't think that banning smoking in the name of health is a slippery slope.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Why not?

Let's look at an area the government has large control in: taxes. They've used it to lessen sales of cigs and discourage further purchase of tobacco products. Gov't has already done what it can within its own limits. Tobacco lobbyists *****ed at the gov't for a while but no dice.

Looking at the leading causes of preventable death, the next one is High Blood Pressure, followed by Obesity. You can't exactly tax people for being fat or not exercising, but you can create a bill that justifies an increased tax rate to address related health problems in the nation. In other words, the current healthcare bill.

Taking these attempts to control to an extreme(arbitrary banning/regulation as gov't sees fit with Health as a valid excuse) fatty foods and luxuries (movies, video games, anything unnecessary that deters exercise/physical activity) could be banned as well.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Because it is a chemically addictive substance with no real benefits? Because it's a carcinogen? Because the government already regulates a lot of things and controls access to them (like, say, pain pills and sleeping pills).

It's not a slippery slope.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the only reason that marijuana and other drugs are illegal is bc the government hasn't figured out a way to make money off of it (either that or bc they are already making money off of it and making it legal would result is them making less money)

the reason tobacco is legal is bc the goverment makes **** tons of money off of it.

thats the world we live in. its not based on any societal logic. its based on money.

theres really no reason for marijuana to be illegal. you cant get addicted to it, you can't die from it. its relatively harmless for most people. the nature of the drug causes your body to rest and repair itself before the potential harmful aspects of the drug actually kick it. it alters your mindstate, but so do lots of other legal things. like alcohol. and nutmeg. and sex.

the only reason it could otherwise be illegal is based on moral ground. and basing laws on moral grounds is a stupid idea.

but you can't just go banning **** just because its "harmful".
if we're going to make cigarettes illegal. we should go ahead and make mcdonalds illegal. its just as bad for you. actually its worse for you.

the entire legal system is just a cluster**** of hypocrisy and convinience. it doesn't have any real logic to it. sometimes we deem things to be "too harmful to be sold" and sometimes we deem things to be "okay to be sold even though you'll die if you consume it". its all dumb.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
tabacoo is soo bad for you, and yes, it has no real benefits.

zero im coming to your house.
im mad hungover.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
also i dont understand why everyone thinks that tabacoo calms you down.
it never does that.

it stresses you out, phsiologically and mentally.

it sky rockets blood pressure. it's just a stimulant.
it's all just alot of stress.

the cigs do it to you and the actual adiction does.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Will_, be really glad you didn't come, there were a lot of good players and I doubt you would have gotten past the first round.

Nah I'm kidding, they were all terrible. Except it started at 1, not at 6. Doubles started at six.

I didn't have a partner until scourge showed up! Then he did. And we won $70. It was a bit of a joke.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Extremely high, actually. The entry fee was only 5$ though. We would have won $70 each if it had been a standard entry-fee.

I saw the singles list, and I think there were between 20 and 30 people. But again, $5 entry fee.

The tourney was run smoothly, doubles ended in about an hour and a half using only two TVs.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Wow, that's kind of amazing lol

Also amazing is How To Train Your Dragon, just watched it again for the second time...probably in my top 3 favorite movies of all time :)

Everyone should see it in 3D while they still can imo

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Also four different people got mad at me and were actually yelling at me for using Metaknight at different times in the tourney.

They all later apologized, but **** do I know how to make friends.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
Extremely high, actually. The entry fee was only 5$ though. We would have won $70 each if it had been a standard entry-fee.

I saw the singles list, and I think there were between 20 and 30 people. But again, $5 entry fee.

The tourney was run smoothly, doubles ended in about an hour and a half using only two TVs.
im wondering if $5 entry fee was the reason for high turnout,

if it was ten plus people driving in...idk.

any comments munkus?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
There were a lot of people there from out of state/town. It's because it was a corollary to the main event (the convention) that the turnout was so high. The fact that it was a $5 helped, but mainly for 'impulse' contenders who just happened to show up.

I don't think it would have made that much of a difference to the doubles game/pot though.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Munkus/Scourge: 1st place
Whoevencarestheyaren'tcompetitivesmashers: everything else

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The only time elev8 has every successfully chaingrabbed me is when we played on a dinky TV and I couldn't tell the difference between his ICs and my metaknight.

Did elev8 win Ausom? Cause that'd be awesome.

Elev8 is my favorite.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord

you just described my dream tournament.

but

with a lower entry fee.

i need to start competing in these kind of tournaments.
haha

**** you guys.

all you do is take my money.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
dude.

i started the whole elev8 thing.

i told yall he da best forreal.

errone else just cazual.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, im gonna write a story about that night when cheap, george, derp, and zero spent the night at my house, then i made them pancakes for breakfast and packed them up for yall to eat...

and you didnt eat them. you to slam.

then, im gonna make you sit down rt at the moment you want to leave a smashfest and make you do "a live reading"

LMFAO!!!!

you guys, you.

Aznseal

Smash Apprentice
Can all auburn area smashers send me a private message, a friend request, or a visitor post? Im going to auburn next year and i really want to know some smashers :D

My gamertag is AznSeal and i play melee, but im open to SOME (not a lot) of brawling xD

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Majist, if you're getting married to this girl, you're doing something right. Don't let yourself feel guilty about it.Doubles starts at noon.
Oh, I don't feel guilty at all, she loved the flowers. It's just that her gift was SO much cooler than mine :/
shrooms cost about as much as flowers.

HOWMUCH DID YOU TAKE?

YOU WENT OUT IN PUBLIC?

shrooms make me a little home body.
i dont want to leave a room.
I ate like 6 and she had 4. They didn't affect me at all for a good hour. But once they kicked in, OH MY GOD. We did freak some people out acting crazy lol. God forbid someone else was in the theater with us. We were so loud. I'm sure we would have been thrown out. I stared at myself in the mirror for a good ten minutes in the bathroom.

After the movie we just drove/walked around and talked to inanimate objects:grin: Trees are so cool when you're tripping.
Yeah seriously. As much as I enjoyed Alice in Wonderland, the imaginary worlds I created just by staring off into space when I took shrooms were WAY better. What's the point of taking a drug that completely unchains your imagination, only to watch the product of someone else's imagination?
Because it's AWESOME!!! I know what you mean about seeing your own world, but it was also really fun to see AiWL. The coolest part was when the credits were rolling and everything is growing and being pretty.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Don't you people know that drugs are bad? They really mess people up, and it makes me sad if all this stuff is serious.

j00t

Smash Champion
Yeah, I don't approve of drug use for the sake of abusing it. Medical needs are understandable.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Don't you people know that drugs are bad? They really mess people up, and it makes me sad if all this stuff is serious.
marijuana is pretty much harmless.

shrooms are harmless. but someone could switch your shrooms for a different kind of shroom that could kill you.

i dont think its possible to abuse either of those drugs

ALL OTHER DRUGS ARE FOR DA BIRDZ THO

Top Bottom