• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Akuma V2.0

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
So, a few days ago my friend stumbled across Toon Link.

Yay.

So, are there any counters to him, or is he another Akuma?

linkthesuper

Smash Rookie
hopefully. i'm working on improving Gdorf. i already have a way of pulling off his side b faster. besides, if you want to PWN toon link, master pit and/or metaknight. if that fails, Ike or Marth. they have better range, (ike especialy) and they both have good counters. Pit though, has the mirror shield, which blocks most frontal attacks. you want to take on a sword character, you need to use a sword character. that disjointed hitbox can make or break a fight. that's my oppinion though.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
lol, my friend thought that dark toon link looked lik Allen walker,

I'd say Pit, ike, or Wolf are solid counters. Pit ctops everything he has, Ike has better range, and Wolf has the blaster, and Shine.

linkthesuper

Smash Rookie
heh, King Zeal, you reminded me of someone he could use. Lucas!

every time toon link shoots an arrow or throws a bomb, PSI Magnet! and to nail him from a distance, PK fire and PK thunder!

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
definitely not an akuma. that's just stupid, have you ever used akuma in the game he's banned in?

but uh, i guess pit is a really good character. his mirror shield would **** toon link's projectiles since they are all telegraphed.

D

Deleted member

we're probably not meta game material but somehow my Link is a counter pick to my brother's TL, Link's longer sword and shff aerials **** on TL so hard

-Knux-

Smash Ace
heh, King Zeal, you reminded me of someone he could use. Lucas!

every time toon link shoots an arrow or throws a bomb, PSI Magnet! and to nail him from a distance, PK fire and PK thunder!
You wouldn't be able to absorb an arrow or bomb. They're not energy projectiles.

As for PK Fire, Toon Link has that ****ed shield that protects him while standing still.

Finch

Smash Lord
lol Ike is not a counter at all. Projectile spam > Ike. I'd say pick up metaknight. it might just be me not knowing how to fight him, but I have no idea how to get past his priority, and he laughs at my slow projectiles.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
definitely not an akuma. that's just stupid, have you ever used akuma in the game he's banned in?
what game is he banned in?

but uh, i guess pit is a really good character. his mirror shield would **** toon link's projectiles since they are all telegraphed.
what game is he banned in?

MaverickZer0

Smash Cadet
I destroyed Toon Link with Ike in online play... Spamming projectiles leave you wiiiiide open for Ike's speedy specials.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
i was wondering way at Planet Zero Crow was complaining from loosing to akuma is SF 2 lolz
Crow is the best tekken player in TX.

linkthesuper

Smash Rookie
yes, all this is great and all, but i didn't think characters were bannable in smash bros. games. i thought they were all accepted, and organized into tiers. if you ban Toon Link in Brawl, then you'd have to ban Fox in melee. in fact, banning akuma should be against the rules. just because a character was built better than others doesn't make them deserving of a ban, just the name "God Tier". only an akuma can beat an akuma, right? well then, when played at the top of thier metagame, only a Fox can beat a Fox, right? all this evidence simply suggests, that with current knowledge, toon link is an above average character.

orintemple

Smash Lord
yes, all this is great and all, but i didn't think characters were bannable in smash bros. games. i thought they were all accepted, and organized into tiers. if you ban Toon Link in Brawl, then you'd have to ban Fox in melee. in fact, banning akuma should be against the rules. just because a character was built better than others doesn't make them deserving of a ban, just the name "God Tier". only an akuma can beat an akuma, right? well then, when played at the top of thier metagame, only a Fox can beat a Fox, right? all this evidence simply suggests, that with current knowledge, toon link is an above average character.
Yea but the difference is that Fox isn't nearly as far above the rest of the cast as Akuma is.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
There's a difference between top tier and "broken". To my knowledge, Akuma wasn't just top tier, he was broken.

kr3wman

Smash Master
It's just that, if you played Akuma right, you just could not get beaten. At all. People still beat fox with other characters. Akuma was only 'soft' banned in Japan, so that noobs who got in tournaments with Akuma could get laugh at if they get beaten, even with the broken character. In the US, you just can't use him. He is too good.

ded

Smash Rookie
the truth is that toon link is a nuts char. he has speed, good bombs and rang, and can spike and bair combo. but that wont stop a char of normal size from wreaking him. this game is all about the one ups and the mind games. if u want to beat him learn to doge the right attacks, and punish him for doing them to much. personaly i like pwning him with zelda kus her side b is the best skill in the **** game.

linkthesuper

Smash Rookie
oh well. he was considered a waste of a character by many anyway. no loss then i guess. maybe someday someone will find a way to pwn him and he'll be unbanned, if he gets banned to begin with.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I tried Marth, but I really, really can't approach him with all his projectiles, and the fact his Dair can **** shields doesn't help my playstyle at all.

I guess I'll try meta, I just wanted to know if he had any hard counters.

MIRN

Smash Cadet
I haven't played a ton of other players yet that was not random wifi, but I have played my friends who have an excellent Zelda, Peach & Ike respectively. Zelda can be a good counter to TL because her range is better/equal (in some areas), Din's Fire is an awesome projective, reflector, and most of all, quite a few moves that can (and will) kill below 100%. In the right hands she's a monster, and I'm surprised that she is not getting more attention.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
lol Pikachu may be counter for toon link. Ok before you start flaming me and laughing at me. Its true pikachu is faster (Imo) well has faster attacks. He can out spam toon link. Fair to dsmash will **** toon link. You dair is next to useless against pikachu because whenever you are above him expect a thunder. His upsmash can kill you at low percents if sweet spotted. His dsmash out priortizes almost all your attacks. He is a small char so you will have a tough time shffl approaching him. All his smashes are **** against toon link.

lol if you still dont believe goto the pika board and ask about it.

Edit: Akuma was banned for the reason he was broken and everyone would be forced to use him. It would be 10x worse than everyone using fox and marth in melee. Srsly if akuma wasnt banned, then a tournament would consist of everyone using akuma and te occasional person using someone else

linkthesuper

Smash Rookie
so then toon link is beatable with other characters, right? who's one of the best (if not the best) toon link user available? i'll do what i can with another character to bring toon link to size. even if it has to be against a level 9. that's better than nothing. it is my firm belief that there is no akuma in brawl. let's hope i'm right! i don't think tiers would be to bad a thing, but if god tier is another akuma, that makes it no fun at all.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
I just played with Toon Link against a decent Donkey Kong player. He used DK's reach to his advantage, and punished me for missed/blocked moves.

Also, I started noticing that he wasn't afraid to trade hits, as DK's moves were, 8 times of ten, more deadly than Toon Link's.

Toon Link isn't a god.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Essentially, Toon Link has a bad match up when it comes to people who are smaller than him, have better projectiles, strength & a way to counter projectiles, or reach & a way to counter projectiles.

Ike would be a problem if he wasn't so easy to projectile spam.
Marth is a bit more of a problem, but he has weaker attacks and still suseptible to projectiles
Zelda is a problem, she out ranges you and has some powerful attacks. But is still floaty
Metaknight is fast, has low lag, and can zip around projectiles if they're a good player, but few kill moves
Donkey Kong can easily be overtaken by arrow/bomb spamage. But he does have some decent aerials.
Lucas has some weird hitboxes and a deadly up smash. His PK fire gets eaten by your shield unless sh'd
I find Lucario tricky b/c of his weird hitboxes and his neutral A combo kills arrows and the likes.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. and Olimar are the best counters. Zelda, Zamus and Lucario are annoying, but Toon still has an edge. I hear that Wolf may also be a counter as well. Wolf is my alternate, but I have yet to face a Toon Link that is as good as mine.

linkthesuper

Smash Rookie
in my oppinion...

Ike: if a person could learn to Power Shield better, then ike would be more of a threat to Tlink.

DK: Giant Punch. Wind it up while away from him, then, get near him and hammer him.

Lucario: without using a power shield, you're not gonna reflect anything, but you do have something others don't. The Aura. use your damage to your advantage, and overpower him. also, that Dair is powerful.

Mario: that cape can reflect, and also turn him arround. i'm not sure mario could be used for much else here.

pit: mirror shield for most frontal attacks, and wail on him otherwise.

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
When ever I go against a pit, it sure pisses me off, so I'd go with pit.

Top Bottom