• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Airborne Counter: is it useful?

Roager

Smash Ace
I personally never used it, until I had the urge to do it to a recovering Ness as an edgeguard. ledgedrop, and immediately counter. Anyone else do things like this?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's a "meh" move, but useful in the right hands. I mainly use it to stop myself from being gimped to my doom, never tried it for edgeguarding though, so I'll have to test that out.

Roager

Smash Ace
This seems like it would be useful against PK kids, Spacies, and just about anyone who tries to go below the stage, and then come back up. The only people who this doesn't ever work for... Falcon, Ganon, Lucario, tethers (hard to tell on that...), ROB, Zelda/Shiek, Snake, and maybe DDD. Okay, so that's a big list, but still, its useful.

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
dude this move is super useful
especially if ur playing a n00b pikachu tht does skull bash for recovery
jump down then use counter hit him and get bak up

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying it out recently so far I stage spiked a Falco and gimped a few Foxes.

metroid1117

Smash Master
It depends on the strength of the attack you're Countering; if it's too weak, they can just SDI upwards and you'll be helping them recover. I'd rather spike or FAir if I knew where they were going to go during their recovery.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
counter I use against heavies to avoid their finishing moves. I use it on Ness's PKT2. I attempt it on Ike's aether. Can you counter any recovery or do they get the sweetspot before you attack?

Hoser

Smash Ace
Link's and Toon Link's recovery (not the tether) is easily counterable, as are Fox's, Falco's, Wolf's (not their illusion moves though), Bowzer, Ness, Lucas, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Mario, Charizard, Samus (not tether), and Wario. You can counter Diddy Kong's, but it's harder to predict. You can also counter Marth's, but due to its speed, it's kinda hard.

I've been using Counter as an edge guard for months, and I find it pretty useful, though others on the Ike forum will say its a waste, and spiking is a better idea. However, I find it easier to counter their recovery, and with a higher success rate (for me). Most of the characters you can counter can't make it back, assuming they are at a decent % (which they probably would be, if they're using their third jump to recover to the ledge).

Akashi

Smash Lord
Anytime I'm near the ledge where I can counter a recovery (DK, TL, Bowser, anything with a decent horizontal or vertical range that doesn't always sweetspot) I'd rather charge an Eruption.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^you would turn around from where they hit you, remember reverse aether against Marths counter? same thing.

there are so many things that you can do instead. Counter isn't even a guaranteed hit and if you miss you get stage spiked.

Its much easier and more effective to edge guard with eruption, Fair, Bair, Dair hell piratically everything except jab has more knock back than counter. Counter doesn't actually have the same knock back as the countered move its way less. I've survived a counter Ike Fsmash at like 90%.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Well counter is situational so using this will mostly be for a certain character's recovery. I can see it being used as a mind game but not very useful. Just like what Arturito said, f-air, b-air, d-air and eruption are better for edgeguarding.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
More options = more likely to win. Therefore Ike has a stronger edgeguarding game with the ability to counter.

Top Bottom