• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Momentum Cancelling For Pit

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday, I was asking around the tactical boards on how this technique worked and I understand how to do it. I'm just wondering if any of you guys know what the current strategy is for canceling air momentum both horizontally and vertically when using Pit. Also, does anyone know what Pit's fastest aerial move is duration wise? (fast start-up and low ending lag).

Also if by any chance, you know what another character's strategy is for canceling air momentum, (Kirby, Lucario, Marth, Olimar, ROB and all of P.T.'s pokemon) then can you share with me what it is that you do to stop their momentum when knocked both horizontally and vertically at a high % as well? I would prefer it if you answered in the character's respective board because I'll be asking around there too. Thanks in advance!

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
i think fair is the quickest overall (as in least time in the attack)
after you do an aerial you want to fast fall and you cancel even more momentum
i only use pit for tourneys and ness and kirby for fun i think kirbys quickest air is uair
and just for fun ness's quickest air is back air i belive

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
I beleive Air Momentum canceling only affected by start-up lag, so it should be Nair, sincei t comes otu the fasest, in my belief anyway.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I beleive Air Momentum canceling only affected by start-up lag, so it should be Nair, sincei t comes otu the fasest, in my belief anyway.
No, ending time is important too. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to jump fast enough.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
So I'm assuming out what everybody has told me so far, Pit's Fair has the shortest duration out of all of his aerials? Would this be right by any chance? Also, can any of Pit's specials be used to counteract knockback momentum further or can none of his specials do that? Lastly do you think that Pit's glide could be used to counteract knockback momentum even further? Because it works for MK and I'm wondering if it can work for Pit too?

Also, Byuusan, in order to cancel air momentum effectively, you must use a character's aerial which has the fastest start up time AND also has the lowest ending lag so you can regain control ASAP in order to counteract knockback momentum by fastfalling the aerial and or jumping for most characters.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
The Fair takes a long time actually. All of Pit's Aerials do. Nair and Uair are multihit. BAir is a sexkickish thing. Dair is prolly the shortest.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Ah, good news everybody! I don't know if this a known fact or not, but gliding has another purpose now apart from recovery. It is now used to counteract horizontal knockback momentum! I confirmed it while I was trying to find out what Pit's fastest aerial is. (still don't know what it is unfortuantly...) Anyway, you should use your fastest aerial first and then hold the jump button to glide. No 'boost' occurs when you do this. Well probably a tiny amount is visible, but it shouldn't affect you that much... Anyway, it's better than Fair/Bair + Jumping. This applies to all characters who can glide. Charizard's is the least effective however, but it still helps. Anyway, I'm pretty sure most of you knew that anyway.

Oh BTW, I checked to see whether Dair was Pit's fastest aerial or not with one of my tests, but it isn't. I still can't rule out however, whether it is the Fair or Bair which is Pit's fastest aerial 'duration wise' though... >_<

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Fair is faster then Bair I believe. And the glide does cancel momentum if you can get it off in time.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
From a test I had just done, Pit's Fair is faster than his Bair. However, the Fair was only faster than the Bair by about only a split second. Although Fair is still faster overall.

Also, Salty123, to cancel air momentum successfully, you must use a character's aerial which has the fastest start up time AND also has the lowest ending lag so you can regain control ASAP in order to counteract knockback momentum by fastfalling the aerial and then jumping into a glide to cancel ALL knockback momentum. (In Pit's case) Yes, Pit's Nair has a faster start-up time than his Fair, but it lasts longer than the Fair as well therefore, the Nair has a longer duration time than Fair and it will take slightly longer for the move to stop and for you to regain control of Pit again when knocked away at a high %.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help you guys! If you guys know anything about momentum canceling for the other characters I mentioned in my first post, then post anything you know in their respective character board or here. (Almost everybody else is doing it. It's like as if they didn't read my first post! Oh well... :ohwell:)

EDIT: Also Byuusan, once you use Pit's Fair, don't forget to jump then glide because gliding stops ALL knockback momentum if you can pull it off. (IMO anyway.)

Top Bottom