• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air dodging in SSB4

micstar615

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I wanted to ask a few questions and maybe get a discussion going on about the air dodging mechanics in SSB4.

Is air dodging in this game identical to how it is in brawl? I read somewhere that it was a bit more punishable but I don't recall where, is it true? I'd definitely like to hear from players who've had their hands on the demo. What is your impression of air dodging in SSB4 in general and how do you think it'll effect gameplay? I'm aware that the demo was an early build and things are subject to change.

ALSO, forgive me if there's already a thread on this, I'm new here and still unfamiliar with the site.

EDIT: here's a video that shows landing lag after using an air dodge. Remember this was in a demo version, so things are subject to change.

http://youtu.be/MSPH98pTARQ

Last edited:

TheEggsAndBacon

Smash Rookie
NNID
eggsandbacon
Air dodging in Sm4sh provides the same function as it did in Brawl, however it provides greater landing lag. (and end lag iirc) This'll make dodging a less safe option when recovering, and will add to Sm4sh's unique off-stage game compared to past entries. This may also lend to not making defensive options the most safe options during combat.
Welcome to Smash World Forums by the way! :)

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
Air dodging in Sm4sh provides the same function as it did in Brawl, however it provides greater landing lag. (and end lag iirc) This'll make dodging a less safe option when recovering, and will add to Sm4sh's unique off-stage game compared to past entries. This may also lend to making defensive options the most safe options during combat.
Welcome to Smash World Forums by the way! :)
Thanks for response and the warm welcome :D

So since Air Dodging will have more landing and maybe even ending lag (thus making it a less safe option) how will this effect the gameplay? Will this mean that an overtly defensive play style may be punishable now? I also read that shields break easier now, is that true too?

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Thanks for response and the warm welcome :D

So since Air Dodging will have more landing and maybe even ending lag (thus making it a less safe option) how will this effect the gameplay? Will this mean that an overtly defensive play style may be punishable now? I also read that shields break easier now, is that true too?
yeah shields break faster now too, ive seen bowser break a shield with one down b and some other things like that

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
Less-safe defensive options will definitely mean more entertaining-to-watch matches. I'm cautiously excited.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Air-Dodging less safe? Heck yes.

This game keeps getting more and more interesting. :)

micstar615

Smash Ace
This is interesting, if shields are easier to break and if air dodging is potentially punishable, this could make the game much more offense based. However, shields are still bigger than Melee's (I believe) and air dodges are still infinite. This is interesting because it allows room for both styles of play; playing defensively could work for certain characters however too much use of the defensive mechanics would make it so they'd be punished, with the shield breaking or using an untimely air dodge, leading in to some vulnerability. This will cause players to think more about what they're going to do, again allowing for both offensive and defensive tactics, but not too much of either. This is all hypothetical of course: things are subject to change but it seems like SSB4 will truly be it's own beast and the attention to depth and detail seems great this time. I'm interested in seeing more of the shield and air dodge mechanics and am cautiously hoping for the best :)

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
Here's a video I found demonstrating the air dodge landing lag:

http://youtu.be/MSPH98pTARQ

Someone in the comments is saying that this is a bad thing (but then again, there's always someone complaining in this fanbase). Thoughts? I stand by my initial thoughts on my previous post; cautious but hopeful.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Hmmm interesting. An airdodge that's not very safe could make matches more entertaining to watch

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
So does that mean that CPU's won't air dodge as much? Because when I fight Level 9 CPU'S in Brawl they just try to air dodge all of my attacks. It's so annoying because I always end up getting punished for trying to hit them.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Now, if only we couldn't P-Shield everything we wanted, too.

So does that mean that CPU's won't air dodge as much? Because when I fight Level 9 CPU'S in Brawl they just try to air dodge all of my attacks. It's so annoying because I always end up getting punished for trying to hit them.
The computers in Brawl have almost frame perfect power shielding. I don't recall them air dodging more than shielding.

Last edited:

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
Now, if only we couldn't P-Shield everything we wanted, too.

The computers in Brawl have almost frame perfect power shielding. I don't recall them air dodging more than shielding.
I honestly hope the CPU's are like the ones from Melee. They use the shield and air dodge sometimes, but not all the time like the Brawl CPU's.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well, I think this is great for the competitive scene, there are so many things that I wish to try in this installment...
So the gameplay is looking to be a balance between offensive (Melee) and defensive (Brawl) style, or better, a defensive game but with a high risk this time...

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
Well, I think this is great for the competitive scene, there are so many things that I wish to try in this installment...
So the gameplay is looking to be a balance between offensive (Melee) and defensive (Brawl) style, or better, a defensive game but with a high risk this time...
I actually tried out the game at a Best Buy during Smash Fest. Just imagine a game that has the speed of Melee except not as fast, but the engine is a lot similar to Brawl. It's a really comfortable combination really.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I actually tried out the game at a Best Buy during Smash Fest. Just imagine a game that has the speed of Melee except not as fast, but the engine is a lot similar to Brawl. It's a really comfortable combination really.
If it's not as fast as Melee, it doesn't have the speed of Melee. I'd rather have the game feel satisfying rather than comfortable. Comfort, outside of hand positions - which will be uniform through most Smash titles and versions - is completely negligible when performing.

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
If it's not as fast as Melee, it doesn't have the speed of Melee. I'd rather have the game feel satisfying rather than comfortable. Comfort, outside of hand positions - which will be uniform through most Smash titles and versions - is completely negligible when performing.
I'm just saying the speed is similar to Melee, but it is really comfortable to play and landing a hit on someone feels really good since you can get KO'd at lower percentages.

micstar615

Smash Ace
I think it's pretty safe to say that this game won't be melee 2.0 nor brawl 2.0, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far, I'm just hoping it won't be so camp driven like brawl, and this change in air dodging may mean that the game is headed towards a less camp driven direction. As for the speed, it's definitely faster than Brawl which is great. I don't think it necessarily needs the speed of melee, as long as the gameplay is still offense driven.

Last edited:

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
I think it's pretty safe to say that this game won't be melee 2.0 nor brawl 2.0, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far, I'm just hoping it won't be so camp driven like brawl, and this change in air dodging may mean that the game is headed towards a less camp driven direction. As for the speed, it's definitely faster than Brawl which is great. I don't think it necessarily needs the speed of melee, as long as the gameplay is still offense driven.
Oh trust me the game is MUCH more offensive than Brawl. Since hitstun is back you're able to perform great combos once again!

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
People keep saying that but after watching the invitational all I see is ZeRo and HBox maneuvering and dodging until they got an opening to use one of two or three moves. Literally every stock match went to time. We'll probably have to keep 3 stocks from Brawl.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
People keep saying that but after watching the invitational all I see is ZeRo and HBox maneuvering and dodging until they got an opening to use one of two or three moves. Literally every stock match went to time. We'll probably have to keep 3 stocks from Brawl.
Because none of them properly know how to play the game? Nobody knows, the game isn't launched yet...

Last edited:

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
Because none of them properly know how to play the game? Nobody knows, the game isn't launched yet...
Yeah once the game is out for a while I'm sure people will think of great techniques to make matches much more interesting.

pickle962

Smash Lord
With all due respect, do not let one "pro" tournament clout your better judgment good sir :)

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
You are grossly understemating the capabilities of some of these people. Some of their fundamentals, like HBox and Dr. PP, are top notch. ZeRo and HBox were playing within the limitations of the game as they knew it to win the invitational. They abused their best moves and the match still was campy as crap.

People that think we don't know how to properly play Smash 4 are kidding themselves. No single AT is going to change the fact that high end lag combined with fast maneuverability, among other things, will lead to a dominantly defensive game like Brawl or Smash 4.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
You are grossly understemating the capabilities of some of these people. Some of their fundamentals, like HBox and Dr. PP, are top notch. ZeRo and HBox were playing within the limitations of the game as they knew it to win the invitational. They abused their best moves and the match still was campy as crap.

People that think we don't know how to properly play Smash 4 are kidding themselves. No single AT is going to change the fact that high end lag combined with fast maneuverability, among other things, will lead to a dominantly defensive game like Brawl or Smash 4.
With all due respect, do not let one "pro" tournament clout your better judgment good sir :)
My answer is there

Edit: I said "properly", the game ins't even released (did I really need to say this again?)

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
I see what you mean and I agree that match was very....brawl like lol. But let's not forget that they were very inexperienced with the game and played it like it was brawl, even though it isn't brawl. Also, that was an early demo build, so it likely retained a lot of elements from Brawl, simply as placeholder. The early Brawl demo was the same thing, it retained a lot of melee placeholders, people were even wave dashing and L canceling in it...but we know the end product turned out much different :p after deciphering the demo for months many users here have noted things that the invitational players likely didn't such as pivot canceling, landing lags after air dodges, etc. and the final product will likely be even more refined. We'll have to wait and see but I think it's safe to say that this won't be a Brawl 2.0. (I hope not at least).

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
I see what you mean and I agree that match was very....brawl like lol. But let's not forget that they were very inexperienced with the game and played it like it was brawl, even though it isn't brawl. Also, that was an early demo build, so it likely retained a lot of elements from Brawl, simply as placeholder. The early Brawl demo was the same thing, it retained a lot of melee placeholders, people were even wave dashing and L canceling in it...but we know the end product turned out much different :p after deciphering the demo for months many users here have noted things that the invitational players likely didn't such as pivot canceling, landing lags after air dodges, etc. and the final product will likely be even more refined. We'll have to wait and see but I think it's safe to say that this won't be a Brawl 2.0. (I hope not at least).
You never know maybe in the next 10 years they will hope a Smash game will be like Smash 4! :bee:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
You never know maybe in the next 10 years they will hope a Smash game will be like Smash 4! :bee:
Or Melee...

But still, I really hope to see changes in the release... maybe adding just one air dodge until you touch the ground/grab a ledge again? (even if is the same as Brawl but with this lag). I think it will be a cool mechanic...

With zero respect, don't ignore what an actual "pro" is doing.
The feel...

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
I love how everyone's praising the new game mechanics and the style balance and Quilt Reversal comes and starts a crusade againist Smash4, trying to undermine everyone's points and backing himself up on 'pro-opinions'.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
That's true, although I think judging the game based on Hbox vs Zero is like judging Melee based on Hbox vs Armada.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I love how everyone's praising the new game mechanics and the style balance and Quilt Reversal comes and starts a crusade againist Smash4, trying to undermine everyone's points and backing himself up on 'pro-opinions'.
I barely sign in but I just had to say you are by far my least favorite person posting on the forums. By a wide margin. Anyone who is critical of this game or Brawl you always have to comment and try to make it seem like they don't know what they are talking about when in fact you have never said anything of value that I have ever read.

Quilt Reversal is right. These are pros and have amazing fundamentals. It's like checkers (brawl) Vs. chess(melee) and you constantly try to convince the world that checkers is more competitive than chess. This comment had to be said because all of you living in fairy tail rainbow land need to come back down to earth.

I believe this game has a chance to be even more competitive than Melee but for that to happen we need to figure out some movement techniques. What they showed so far looks like Brawl on 1.5x speed and added hitstun. A step in the right direction if you are looking from the perspective of Brawl(checkers), but a even larger step in the wrong direction if you are looking at it from a Melee(chess) perspective. Everyone cries it's a new game but its not. It's a continuation of a series we have played for a long time and they took it in the direction of casual players.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I barely sign in but I just had to say you are by far my least favorite person posting on the forums. By a wide margin. Anyone who is critical of this game or Brawl you always have to comment and try to make it seem like they don't know what they are talking about when in fact you have never said anything of value that I have ever read.

Quilt Reversal is right. These are pros and have amazing fundamentals. It's like checkers (brawl) Vs. chess(melee) and you constantly try to convince the world that checkers is more competitive than chess. This comment had to be said because all of you living in fairy tail rainbow land need to come back down to earth.

I believe this game has a chance to be even more competitive than Melee but for that to happen we need to figure out some movement techniques. What they showed so far looks like Brawl on 1.5x speed and added hitstun. A step in the right direction if you are looking from the perspective of Brawl(checkers), but a even larger step in the wrong direction if you are looking at it from a Melee(chess) perspective. Everyone cries it's a new game but its not. It's a continuation of a series we have played for a long time and they took it in the direction of casual players.
No, No, NO AND NO.
One thing's being realistic, being ridiculously negative is another story. This game seems exactly what it should be. I've said quite a few things of value, believe me, they're just not of value to Melee etilists. And I'm glad I'm your least favorite person, when Melee etilists hate me, I know I'm doing something right. This game's heading towards a perfect middle ground the more we look at it, but you guys don't want a middle ground, you want "OMG SUPER TECHNICAL SUPER MEGA ULTRA FAST SO NEWCOMERS CAN'T BE GOOD AND WE CAN CONTINUE TO HAVE OUR EXCLUSIVE ELITE".

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Air dodging wasn't even that safe in Brawl. Useable and a bit strong? Yes. Get out of jail free card? No. Anyone who played Brawl to a higher level would have told you that.

That said it did deserve the toning down it got in smash4.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
the problem with saying that the pros have it figured out already is that they only played the game for a short period of time. I think most people here understand the core concept of the smash games at this point. What I remember from melee is that people didnt know 100% all the options that are in the game from a few hours of play and it took time to find things out and saying it will be a step in the wrong direction or that it will play like brawl is jumping the gun. The demo didnt have all the characters, things didnt always work and so on. That means we don't know all the match ups or how every character plays/feels in this one and we can't just shoe horn it into the "it plays like brawl" side without a bunch of testing.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
With zero respect, don't ignore what an actual "pro" is doing.

Maybe in 20XX people will be playing Project B
If you don't like the game, simply don't buy it, don't make people feel bad about a game that hasn't even been released yet, its been stated billions of times that there are things that need changing. You're one of the people that are actually decaying Sm4sh and it's not cool..

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
the problem with saying that the pros have it figured out already is that they only played the game for a short period of time. I think most people here understand the core concept of the smash games at this point. What I remember from melee is that people didnt know 100% all the options that are in the game from a few hours of play and it took time to find things out and saying it will be a step in the wrong direction or that it will play like brawl is jumping the gun. The demo didnt have all the characters, things didnt always work and so on. That means we don't know all the match ups or how every character plays/feels in this one and we can't just shoe horn it into the "it plays like brawl" side without a bunch of testing.
I'm going to add on to your points. The pros were playing Smash 4 as if it was Melee HD. Watch how many times Ken tried to grab someone as Marth two Marth-widths away. Or how many times Rapture tried an aerial approach with Little Mac.

Pros or not, they clearly didn't have the opportunity to delve deep into the systems of the new game.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Well this is going downhill.

I think "Melee vs. Brawl debate" is like the Godwin of this forum. Any convo that goes on long enough will eventually be about that.

In any case, a few pros looking at a game for a single day, or even a few days, is nowhere near as good as every pro looking at a game for well over a year. You just aren't going to have the same quality of analysis. I don't really care what you say or how sure you sound when you're saying it, because the math says you're wrong. I'm sure the current tier lists are made as good as they could be, but some of the people making these tier lists admit that they're incomplete just because they haven't been able to play every character.

Don't get me wrong. I know it's perfectly possible to memorize a moveset in a few minutes via button checking, because I can also (sorta) do that. I also know it's not impossible to test things like priority or knockback angle. From there, it's almost trivial to come up with meaningful combos. I know all of this both because I can do them and I've seen other people do them. It's not hard to believe that the pros had a solid, basic understanding of the build they were playing.

However, it is a fact that the damage/knockback model of the game wasn't even finished for E3. This isn't some minor damage tweak. It's a basic, fundamental part of the way the game is played. If Brawl or Melee suddenly had different formulas to model knockback, don't you think that would change the game? Just a tad? Because I think it could actually change it quite a lot, depending upon how big the changes were. Maybe air games would be a lot more important, or maybe the ground game would become king, or maybe recoveries become less important because guaranteed KOs are just too easy, or maybe the game takes a longer time than it should to drop stocks because KOs are too hard. All of these things would have an impact on how both offense and defense are handled.

Also, we have competitive players doing analysis of the Best Buy demos. I don't see a lot of them saying that this game is "Brawl 2.0". What I actually see is them saying that the game is very well balanced aside from Zelda, that they like the way the game is going (as far as they can tell), and that some basic defensive options (like Shields) have been gimped. How are gimped defensive options going to lead to campy gameplay? People who play to win are only going to rely upon camping if it gives them an actual advantage. If it's a disadvantage, no one is going to seriously do it. If Shieldbreaker moves become part of the Smash U meta and they end up being common to a lot of characters (not just Marth and Bowser), then that's a pretty significant change that the pros haven't had time to look into yet, and you can be sure that it's going to nerf defensive play in a significant way.

The metagame of both Brawl and Melee has changed significantly over the years. Yes, Meta Knight rose to the top quickly and then rose even higher, but it's also true that Sonic went from low tier to mid tier, and one of the big differences was because people found a completely different way to play him. Pros don't know everything right away. They can't. There's no way to have god-like knowledge of a game from screenshots and two outdated builds. Even if a well-trained finely honed mind absorbs all it can possibly absorb from the available information, it's not going to be able to absorb information that simply isn't there. It may seem that some pro players have psychic powers, but in reality they just have good pattern recognition and not true omniscience.

For example, do you have any idea how the Lucina vs. Marth matchup is going to go? Probably not. Sure you can give it your best guess, but since no one outside of Nintendo has played Lucina then no one outside of Nintendo really knows how it'll go. Maybe Marth's tipper mechanic doesn't help him that much, because Lucina can just get inside his zone and still deal optimal damage while Marth gets weak non-tipper damage, and even when Marth is at his idea range Lucina is still at her ideal range because every point of her sword is her "ideal range". Or maybe Marth has the upper hand because he always has good options for getting into tipper range and there's nothing Lucina can do about it. There are a lot of ways this match can go depending upon how the dev team assigns the numbers, and we simply don't have those numbers.

I'll put stock in what the actual pros say when they feel confident enough to not feel the need to put massive "we don't have a finished game, we didn't get to play all the characters, and everything is subject to change" disclaimers before everything they say. Until then, I'm gonna recognize the same limitations that they also recognize.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I'm going to add on to your points. The pros were playing Smash 4 as if it was Melee HD. Watch how many times Ken tried to grab someone as Marth two Marth-widths away. Or how many times Rapture tried an aerial approach with Little Mac.

Pros or not, they clearly didn't have the opportunity to delve deep into the systems of the new game.
One more point, They do know how to play at a high level but they did miss things in the demo. Several ama's after the tourny said sdi was missing from the game which it is not and none of them found the new at that was just posted. They are great players but the time they had to play was not enough to say one way or another how the meta will play out in smash 4

id like to ask how adding hitstun is a larger step back for smash 4? its one of the things everyone wanted changed from brawl and it was added and it allows for more combo, which is another thing people wanted. I fail to see how its a large step back

Last edited:

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
They don't have it figured out. In my same post exactly one sentence later I said this game has a ton of untapped potential. Fundamentals are the groundwork of the game and if the best players in the world time out it only leaves a bad impression

id like to ask how adding hitstun is a larger step back for smash 4? its one of the things everyone wanted changed from brawl and it was added and it allows for more combo, which is another thing people wanted. I fail to see how its a large step back
Let me ask you this and maybe you will understand. How many combos would be possible in Melee without wavedashing? Or how many combos would there be in 64 without the larger amount of hitstun?
They can add hitstun all they want but like I said in the same post that you quoted me you need to move fluidly along with that because the hitstun is not like 64. I already said the game has amazing potential maybe even grater than Melee but almost EVERYONE on this forum is looking threw rainbow glasses. It's OK to be critical is the main reason I posted and I have my concerns and they are very justified.

Top Bottom