• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air dodging in SSB4

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
you know what i done here, we obviously wont agree on this and its pointless to argue.
The game is going to play a lot like Brawl regardless of what either of us think or agree on.

And yet, somehow people think I am demonizing the game for stating this fact...

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
The game is going to play a lot like Brawl regardless of what either of us think or agree on.

ok ill bite i think most people think you are demonizing the game because people dont like brawl for competitive play and by calling it brawl 2.0 it just makes it feel like its dead in the water to people before the release

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
ok ill bite i think most people think you are demonizing the game because people dont like brawl for competitive play and by calling it brawl 2.0 it just makes it feel like its dead in the water to people before the release
There's the 2.0 label for a reason. It's clearly an upgrade but it's modeled after the same engine as Brawl.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
There's the 2.0 label for a reason. It's clearly an upgrade but it's modeled after the same engine as Brawl.
I understand that part but there are people where brawl left a bad taste in their mouths and ive seen plenty of posts around already writing off the game which is kinda sad since its not even out yet, I fine with whatever so long as its fun(which it looks like it is) and is good competitively which i want it to be since it would be my first smash game where i am able to go to tournaments and such . living in the middle of nowhere makes it hard to do much

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I play Melee and P:M now, but I began as a Brawl player.
I'm not certain about my favorite game of the series, but I think it still Brawl.

While people from this comunnity talk about Brawl-players like they are n00bs without tech-skill, at least I can say that I decided to always smile when I read the "Brawl 2.0" thing.
First of all, because is such a stupid term to a game that don't even is out yet...
And second because you say "Brawl 2.0" as a insult and I take as a good thing because Brawl is very special to me.

I'm really anxious for Smash 4. Not Brawl 2, or Melee 2, or SSB64 2 ... But Smash for Wii U, that new game they're making.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

It's all the Brawl hate.

It's going to play similar to Brawl, but that's perfectly fine as long as some flaws have been fixed.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
This could be applied to Project M and it is not Brawl 2.0...
Even though the game borrows some elements from Brawl (the DACUS for some) and clipped others (light shielding, stage tethering) it is dominantly based on Melee. It's in the name. It's not just the ATs that set it apart, either. There's shield stun, faster falls, narrow powershield ranges, airdodge mechanics, different crouch cancelling. The list goes on. Even some of the characters have been modfied to play like their Melee counterparts.

I understand that part but there are people where brawl left a bad taste in their mouths and ive seen plenty of posts around already writing off the game which is kinda sad since its not even out yet, I fine with whatever so long as its fun(which it looks like it is) and is good competitively which i want it to be since it would be my first smash game where i am able to go to tournaments and such . living in the middle of nowhere makes it hard to do much
But where did I ever say I don't like the game? So many assumptions in this thread. People need to get out of the mental dark ages.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Even though the game borrows some elements from Brawl (the DACUS for some) and clipped others (light shielding, stage tethering) it is dominantly based on Melee. It's in the name. It's not just the ATs that set it apart, either. There's shield stun, faster falls, narrow powershield ranges, airdodge mechanics, different crouch cancelling. The list goes on. Even some of the characters have been modfied to play like their Melee counterparts.

But where did I ever say I don't like the game? So many assumptions in this thread. People need to get out of the mental dark ages.
i never said you did its not even posters on smashboards its just around on other forums. Also i will apologize if I made it seem like i directed those statements toward you that was not my intent

Last edited:

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379

That's not the engine, though.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64

I don't want to demonize you per se haha, but it is kind of big statement to make. From the invitational we did see a lot of campy gameplay, but the product isn't finished, and although I am specualtive about it, there is a chance glaring errors in the game could get patched. Just food for thought, not a legit fact. (Which, definitely off-topic, but how do we have no emoticons for food on Smashboards? Damn)

We'll see how it plays. Chances are you're right, but even today we saw that whole Star KO change. The game engine could still be updated to be faster, or possibly remedy the more defensive aspects the demo at E3 showed, and there may yet be some advanced movement tactic we haven't seen yet. Or maybe some characters will have a movement technique/exploit that makes them more viable. Only time will tell. I don't really know what to expect haha

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Have they stated whether or not its brawls engine, i know they have not used to same one twice so far but who knows
What is known, and same goes for Brawl, is that for Smash 4, they recycled character assets from Brawl as a starting point. The same goes from Melee to Brawl (hence why files for Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, etc are still intact).

The engine- Brawl is using the Havoc Engine for the physics most likely or how items interact with the environments (which is why character can get on top of crates with wheels). I'm not entirely sure if this affected the speed of Brawl but it is a physics engine. You can look at the back of the case of Brawl.

Smash 4 is simply using a refined engine of Brawl just as Brawl used a refined engine of Melee (and albeit more modern and new). They're pretty much cross-generational.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I loved Brawl and if this is an upgraded version of Brawl, I'm all for it. Unless I've been reading incorrectly, I can't say I understand the backlash that Quill Reversal's statements have been getting. Nothing wrong with Brawl 2.0 if 1.0's flaws have been improved upon (which is generally what "2.0" would indicate...).

Top Bottom