• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggressiveness done right?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

any tips for being good at aggressive play? I take it good spacing and mobility ought to go hand-in-hand, as well as the fact it can be mostly character-dependent. For example, I main Corrin. My character's generally seen as defensive, but I don't think he/she's limited to only that. We pack range with decent frame data, the only issue being to ocassionally fall short on the mobility department.

I notice I neglect a lot of my ground game in the stead of our tempting aerials. They're safe on shield...if and when you space them well. Thing is, I find myself going for a lot of the FF-initiated combos, in which we get the most mileage off of. any particular tips for this last one? FF aerials seem rather commital (at least with Corrin, who can't exactly weave in-and-out mid-air).

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Perhaps you might want to work with a character who is faster than Corrin if you want to utilize aggression with fast falling combos.

D

Deleted member 189823

Impossible. I wish to be the best Corrin, so Corrin-only. (:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd recommend trying to get in your opponents head.

If you can predict them, you can be aggressive, without actually being aggressive.

Remember though, if a character is geared one way, you can only take it another so far.

Regardless, I'd recommend a secondary. Everyone should have a secondary.

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm a loyalist. I love Corrin. I enjoy Corrin so, to the point I tend to look into things to get around most things, as we don't lose many MU's either. It's good to explore others' thoughts, on ocassion.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm a loyalist. I love Corrin. I enjoy Corrin so, to the point I tend to look into things to get around most things, as we don't lose many MU's either. It's good to explore others' thoughts, on ocassion.
I'm not saying that you should stop playing Corrin.

I play Charizard so I understand the loyalty aspect.

I'm just saying, everyone needs a secondary in this game as there will be matchups that Corrin will struggle with.

Arrei

Smash Lord
The trick to being aggressive is generally to catch your opponent off-guard. Committing to FF aerials after you've conditioned your opponent to stay in shield by spacing Fairs and Bairs is a poor choice, as you're purposely playing scissors against their rock. This is why tomahawking is so useful, as it punishes them for turtling in their shield expecting an attack. Once they start dropping shield on approach, you can start using FF aerials or throwing out attacks instead of grabs when you land.

Other choices are to simply to keep harassing your opponent with said safe aerials until you can force an action, either from wearing down their shield or simply making them try to break the neutral.

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm not so sure how to balance these out, yet. I feel as if I sort of go into these "modes", where it's either this or that. Like, I don't feel much of a need to go for tomohawks if my shield pokes are on point (not to mention, I don't a get ton off of grabs, in my case). However, only yesterday, I think I'm getting a better hold as to how to use FF aerials better. I use to have the issue of running into attacks often, and it was because I would wait too to land with my aerial (and by getting to close). I started using it more as an "anti-approach", like when you see them about to step in your "bubble", that's when you do it. Then there's the rising F-airs (best spacing tool for Corrin, pretty much). These are great if you don't want over-commit, and they can also stuff people out as our faster OoS option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
You basically just figured it out.

See, all swordsmen have one thing in common; they want to maintain their bubble. You can either force the opponent to come to it, or move it into the opponent. Since you want to play aggressive, moving the bubble towards your opponent is going to be the most optimal way to play aggressive. Maintain your space, but make sure your bubble is in place.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
FRAME ADVANTAGE

When you look at it mathematically it means that the player that has frame advantage is able to act faster than their opponent. It makes it easier to just straight up shut some of your opponents options down and makes it easier to read the next option they choose.

Example: You find yourself in a position where you have a frame advantage of +5. This means that your opponent has to wait 5 frames before they can do anything where as you do not. Meaning that if you throw out a move that has 6 frames of start up or less and your opponent chooses an offensive option your move will stuff it unless your opponent throws out a move that comes out or is invincible at frame 1 (Jiggs Rest, Ryu TSRK).

There are more details to frame advantage than this but the text above is a simple explanation of the underlying details that factor into successful strings and instances of aggression.

The hard part is finding a way to put yourself in an advantageous position as well as recognizing it and acting on it in real time. Some characters are better at this than others.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Well, I don't play Corrin at all, so I can't offer any Corrin-specific tips and tricks. But, I'll try offering some general advice you can use.

Being a swordsman really helps Corrin in a way that he can pressure his opponents from afar. Knowing how to pressure a defensive player is important, since this kind of pressure will likely cause a reaction out of your opponents.

When you're trying to pressure with a short hop fast fall aerial, remember that you can either pressure them with those moves, or you can just land without using any moves and just grab them if you think they're going to shield. Or, since Corrin's f-smash is quick, if you think they're going to drop their shield after you land on the ground, you can land, pivot backwards, and f-smash to punish them for dropping their shield. (Of course, you gotta be careful where you land to avoid their OoS option.) And, of course, there is always a tomahawk option.

If you're trying to pressure from the ground, there are several options. You can dash attack if you think they're not going to react to it or punish it. You can also dash grab if they're shielding and they're not going to react to you fast enough.You can also walk if you wish, since it can cancel into any move. But Corrin's walk is pretty slow, so I would be careful with this. Aaaand, obviously, a common way to punish landings would be to dash attack.

Another thing I want to say is, if you want to be an "aggressive" player, you should always try to extend your advantage state. If you win neutral, combo your opponents. If your combo ends, read your opponents' next actions, or try to force them to play your game so that you can reset your advantage state.

Last thing. Since Corrin, as you say it, lacks in the mobility department, it would be harder than usual to be aggressive as him. To compensate for this, try to use your projectile smartly. Good projectile usage will force your opponent to think twice about just camping you. Of course, if you start spamming it, your opponents will read you and punish accordingly, so be careful. Another thing you might want to do is position yourself properly. Being in that good distance from your opponent will allow you to charge in without being too obvious. This distance will vary for different MUs, so be careful.

That's all I gotta say, really. Sorry if what I wrote doesn't make any sense; I'm kinda tired right now, so I might have written down some gibberish you might not understand lol. If this is the case, I'm more than willing to clarify what I wrote. There are a lot more to being aggressive than this, however. Those stuff are some things you gotta find on your own. Try out new things, get a feel for it, and develop your unique playstyle. In the end, the thing that will really help you is experience.

Good luck with becoming the aggressive solo-Corrin player you are wanting to be!

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
When you are being aggressive corrctly, you are not actually attacking with reckless abandon, but merely giving the illusion that you are.

It almosts sounds like a paradox. To be aggressive, you must learn to avoid being hit really well. To avoid being hit as you are attacking is key.

To learn to be aggressive, you must learn all of your character's options available to you that cannot be punished on reaction. That means know what moves can be used against a shield at their correct distances. Which moves hold your advantage if your opponent air dodges through them and more.

Also, you must learn where you can stand that threatens an opponent for trying to hit you. You mentioned your anti-approach tools. They very well can be used as another aggressive tool by simply spacing yourself so that your opponent must correctly guess when you will take the offense (with one of your practiced safe options!) and try to counterattack you. But if he guesses incorrectly, he falls into your counter attack option. You see, when done correctly, you can only be punished for using a move if your opponent knows exactly when you will do it. However, if your opponent commits to a move at any other time, he gets hit. The odds are in your favor simply by forcing your posiitional advantage onto your opponent.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
The thing is, some characters are meant to be played aggressively while others aren't. I don't believe Corrin is one to be aggressive. Mario, Sheik, Zamus, Pikachu, Sonic, Captain Falcon, and some others, I would say are meant to be played aggressively. And when this, I don't mean just run in and expect to pressure and win. I mean that they're quick enough and have good options. Maybe not Falcon, I don't really know about him. But other characters with less ending lag and whatnot can most likely get away with this. I know you said you're not switching Corrin and that you're a Corrin loyalist. That's fine. But if she's not meant to be used aggressively, then you shouldn't attempt to go that route. Or who knows? Maybe you can get away with it and have her play differently than your typical Corrin. It's fine to try different things with a character that someone may have possibly not attempted to do.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't see how Corrin is meant to be defensive, she can do both, it's just as a general rule, defensive play style is easier to learn.

One thing underated in offense is people don't realise the one approaching control the flow of the game which lead to conditionning. The mind game need A (a situation) and B (a reaction) into a reaction of reaction. The defensive player won't create A. I recommand you to watch the Art of Ike made by Izaw on youtube.

But before going into that you need to master your spacing and reaction (sadly reaction is something you born with, but it's not as impacful as melee), it's the key to not get punished. A good offense is a safe offense. But you won't win the neutral by playing safe all the time, that's why you need to use conditionning. For example A you jump, B the opponent expect an areal and shield, C you fast fall into grab. C is not safe but the punish is little if you miss the read. So a good offense is a safe offense with some guess (risk).

Top Bottom