• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Against Meta Knight and Kirby

NegativeZone

Smash Apprentice
Hello! I'm a new , skilled( I think so) Luigi player in these forums. I need help from other luigi veterans. How to Fight against Meta Knight and Kirby effectively. Feel free to add me to your fc list if u want. Thanks from any help!!!

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Welcome to Luigi boards! First off, you should look at the stickys first or go through the Q&A discussion

Here's a matchup discussion, a extensive post on MK should help cover what you need.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174824

Here's a post of mine i just copy and pasted from my Q&A discussion

I haven't fought any good kirbys yet but I do know some a thing or two about Kirby.

Kirby has a great aerial game almost relatively equal to Luigi's and has a great ground game as well. Throwing a shorthop fireballs and some grounded fireballs can pressure Kirby and forcing him to approach you. Also a SH fireball to a tornado is a great racking up damage as well as utilts.

Fighting kirby can be abit tricky espically if they like to abuse the inhale. You must approach carefully when their near the edge because they can inhale you, drop down and spit you out underthe stage where you can't possibly recover or they'll just suicide.

Also Kirby's pretty lightweight and Luigi has alot of killing power against Kirby espically with his shoryuken. It kills Kirby around 41% so that's pretty early. Watch out for Kirby's Fsmash and hammar as they can kill and have decent range

Sparked's post

Approaching him: Might as well use the Fireball/Tornado Approach; this is if the Kirby isn't Final Cutter happy, if he is then Aerial approach him.

Kirby is an aerial monster much like Luigi, his FAir can't be Air Dodged for the whole duration and his BAir is much like your BAir, except your BAir slightly outranges Kirby to a small amount. Use it.

Don't stay on the ground too much. Kirby's FSmash lunges forward and has a deceptive hitbox... maybe it's not as deceptive as Pound, but eh. DThrow into FAir/BAir=>UAir. Keep him above or behind you. The occasional NAir will screw up momentum for Kirby.

DO NOT LET HIM COPY YOUR ABILITY; Heck, don't even let him inhale you. He's a lot better at spamming your Fireballs because they can be shorthopped AND puffed. You don't need that hassle. Dodge Final Cutter and the projectile if necessary and Punish with a FIRE PUNCH (If you're close enough!) Or a grab or an FSmash.

Don't even try to edgeguard him. If you're gonna try, try a DAir Spike; you might get lucky and KO him off the side instead.

Basically an even match because Kirby can't sue some of his combos on you, but it's harder to fight him aerially because of his multi jump attribute.

NegativeZone

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot! I must read those matchup discussions. I agree with that inhale thing, I hate when kirby can spam fireballs and it makes the game more difficult to me.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Luigi has nothing against a rising tornado. :/

A Fireball can stop a quick, nonascending one however. Otherwise you're better off DAiring it from above.

bobson

Smash Lord
drop down and spit you out underthe stage where you can't possibly recover
You kidding me? Luigi's jump to rising tornado make him damned near invulnerable to this in the majority of cases. He can recover from halfway under Final Destination without even grabbing the ledge.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You kidding me? Luigi's jump to rising tornado make him damned near invulnerable to this in the majority of cases. He can recover from halfway under Final Destination without even grabbing the ledge.
You just have to gimp him when hes doing a rising tornado, and Kirby has a spike. Once Luigi's gimped during his secondjump+rising tornado and out of range for a firepunch, your screwed.
Luigi's recovery is pretty predictable (duh)

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I dont play against snake or Mks anymore with Weegee.

Snakes extending hitboxes make it near impossible to get close to a good snake. and about MK...

Dont get me started.

Ive decided to play D3 against those 2. Why D3 against Mk, cuz, its manly.

And Kirby is a very hard mattch up too. But, after facing a Bair Wall Kirby, i think i know what to do now. Kirby is pretty light, so once at 55%, your able to lock a kirby in a jab upB combo. Spaming fireballs helps to xD.

Oh an I beat a Olimar at Luigis Mansion. Known to be one of Olimars best stages, i showed the Olimar (Fearless, best Olimar in FL hands down.) whose mansion it was, an how much it cost to be at my estate lol =)

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I can understand MK.

Snake would be a lot easier if you used Fireballs more frequently than usual though :/

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Spark! Go to sleep! It's 7:45am in the morning lulz jkjk xD

I've defeated my first typical common bad MK on wifi! I felt so proud lulz. Preferably, I think Luigi's has a good matchup on Snake since Luigi's a aerial green demon and Snake falls in the air but his homo ground-game utilt-ing hitboxs makes up for that >:[

NegativeZone

Smash Apprentice
Hello. I haven't been in home lately, but when I look all the answers what you guys have done, it has helped me a lot. Also special thanks to hippiedude92 who told me about matchup discussions

kamikazeman1

Smash Rookie
thats because you are Boss: the incredible luigi player and smasher extraordinair!
no seriously though, i think we all want to know how to beat them

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
You just have to gimp him when hes doing a rising tornado, and Kirby has a spike. Once Luigi's gimped during his secondjump+rising tornado and out of range for a firepunch, your screwed.
Luigi's recovery is pretty predictable (duh)
You make it sound like Luigi is helpless during his tornado recovery. Anything that touches him usually gets knocked away at an odd angle.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You make it sound like Luigi is helpless during his tornado recovery. Anything that touches him usually gets knocked away at an odd angle.

He is. He doesn't have the right anti-ledgeguard tools unlike his brother Mario. We're talking Kirby and Mk here who have multiple jumps and espically with Mk who can gimp his way back to the stage. Luigi's recovery is just hella predictable, its just spacing and timing and blah etc.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Luigi is not helpless during that tornado. It has ridiculous priority. Like Metaknight's whorenado, it is very predictable but still extremely hard to stop. It even clashes with Din's Fire if it doesn't go straight through it.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Luigi's tornado does not stand a chance against shuttle loop or many of kirby's aerials... This is a fact, the tornado has less priority/an smaller hitbox than the previous two moves. If you are trying to argue that... you're wrong.

Top Bottom