• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Against Kirby

DAYSH

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble against this thing..

u cant cg.
he can gimp u off stage with teh drill.
overall his priority outmatches falcos.

just to name a few.

Any advice?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Kirby's big weakness is RANGE. Stay away with lasers as long as you can. Once he closes in, space yourself with Ftilt. This move is KEY for the matchup. Jab combo also works well. When he approaches by ground or short-hop, this is your best bet. If he approaches by air, bair and nair are the way to go.

IIRC, you can get a three-grab CG on Kirby, followed by a dair. If you Fast Fall the Dair, you can get a second grab + dair.

One really important thing about this matchup is to do everything in your power to prevent him from getting your lasers. Once he gets your lasers, the fight gets a LOT harder. You'll want to close the gap and fight him at Ftilt/jab combo range, so you can punish if he uses your lasers.

Always watch out for his broken Fsmash. Be ready with a spotdodge when you think it's coming.

As far as recovery, it's just a matter of not doing the same thing every time. Sometimes, Illusion from high up to a platform, sometimes go to the ledge, sometimes do it right on the surface of the level. Hell, throw in the occasional Up-B. If he can predict your recovery, you're screwed. While you're in the air, move around a bit so he has a hard time telling which one you're going for.

Denzi

Smash Master
Kirby's big weakness is RANGE. Stay away with lasers as long as you can. Once he closes in, space yourself with Ftilt. This move is KEY for the matchup. Jab combo also works well. When he approaches by ground or short-hop, this is your best bet. If he approaches by air, bair and nair are the way to go.

IIRC, you can get a three-grab CG on Kirby, followed by a dair. If you Fast Fall the Dair, you can get a second grab + dair.
Lasers & range = key words. Just don't mindlessly fire them across the stage, think.

Also, instead of going for the last Dair, there's always the gatling combo for more damage.

BsdKid4ever

Smash Cadet
IMO, kirby can be easy or hard depending on how easy or hard you LET him be. If he uses his rediculous bair spamming, counter with your bair or lasers. But, please god, DON'T LET HIM GET YOUR ****ING LASERS!!! He can shTl, yes, triple laser, and if he full hops->laser->air jump-> 2 lasers-> mid-air jump-> 2 lasers, etc. you'll be faced with the technique that Falco has been trying to accomplish since brawl was realeased; An impenetrable laser wall. So, in other words, Kirby, HANDS OFF MY BREAD! (Do people still talk about that? No? You sure? Really? I feel out-of-date...) By the way, I sometimes fight lvl 9 cpu's for fun (my brother hates brawl and my internet is ****) and against kirby, if I perfect CG, i can sometimes get a full 5 grabs, then the dair kills him.

Denzi

Smash Master
IMO, kirby can be easy or hard depending on how easy or hard you LET him be. If he uses his rediculous bair spamming, counter with your bair or lasers. But, please god, DON'T LET HIM GET YOUR ****ING LASERS!!! He can shTl, yes, triple laser, and if he full hops->laser->air jump-> 2 lasers-> mid-air jump-> 2 lasers, etc. you'll be faced with the technique that Falco has been trying to accomplish since brawl was realeased; An impenetrable laser wall. So, in other words, Kirby, HANDS OFF MY BREAD! (Do people still talk about that? No? You sure? Really? I feel out-of-date...) By the way, I sometimes fight lvl 9 cpu's for fun (my brother hates brawl and my internet is ****) and against kirby, if I perfect CG, i can sometimes get a full 5 grabs, then the dair kills him.
Impenetrable laser wall did you say? REFLECT!!

Also, CPUs don't react as well as humans to CG's.

wangston

Smash Lord
Don't get grabbed by Kirby he has a chain grab that gets you to 50% though I'm surprised that there are a lot of kirby's that don't even know about this. Furthermore you can chain grab him if you down throw, dair, fast fall, repeat. Though if you are slow on your fast fall he can react, so you need to either jab then grab him or get in your shield and see how he reacts then grab again.

Top Bottom