• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After shielding: Fortress? Or grab?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
If you block a simple attack, like say a falco's dash attack and you have the time to do either a fortress or a grab, which do you do? I'm kinda stuck in my Melee habits and will usually fortress any time possible, but with move staling and all that junk, which is the better choice? Which is better for disciplining your opponent? More importantly, which do you guys use the most and why.

Undyingz

Smash Rookie
Usually i would just fortress out of shield, depending on how far away they are or if they are at a high percent so i can set up for a kill. If they at low percent or are close enough for bowser's horrible (IMO) grab range, than go right ahead and do so. But either way i would lean more over to fortress more often.

Popertop

Smash Champion
your sig is hilarious.
Fortress would probably be better for damage,
so you could abuse it
and as the Diminishing Returns kick in, switch over to grabs.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If you're facing your opponent, grab. If you're not, fortress.

Grab and down throw because you can generally always set your foe up for a running A afterwards, especially at low damages. But if they're behind you, fortress, and when in doubt, fortress.

The real issue is that, as was said in this thread, Bowser's grab range is terrible and fortressing and sliding away from them equates playing it safe.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Shield to side-b

Side-B does the most damage, is most reliable and sets Bowser up for a lot more stuff to do, such as chase with fair or, if you're on an edge, you can Bowsercide off

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You need enough time to let your shield down to side+B, though, whereas you can fortress or grab immediately out of shield.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Shield to side-b

Side-B does the most damage, is most reliable and sets Bowser up for a lot more stuff to do, such as chase with fair or, if you're on an edge, you can Bowsercide off
You need enough time to let your shield down to side+B, though, whereas you can fortress or grab immediately out of shield.
You guys could just short hop side b.

~Fortress in brawl is more of a defensive move than the offensive move it was in melee. Id Fortress when you are under pressure..

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I jump out and Nair, it backs people off of you.
I could see this working, so long as you're very quick about it.

But that's all I could see working (this and fortress). When you're being molested by a space animal, you need something to get them off in an INSTANT.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I usually just use the fortress because I dont grab much in general (unless I was Dedede or Meta Knight then Id chaingrab). I'll grab more often If im facing Lucario, Marth, or Ike, since they all got a "Counter" move. Otherwise, its Fortress.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um, when did MK get a CG?

I would usually grab, but I'm fortressing more. I've been completely neglecting boozer's B moves, which is utterly stupid >_>

also, how quick is the Shield Drop? Is SD-> jab a viable OOS move>

LuciousLou

Smash Rookie
What about shield drop into ftilt? I think it is faster than side+B and has more potential than fortress against a laggier player.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I do shield drop dtilt and on "laggier" moves, shield drop dsmash or forward b.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
fotress is more for the situations where shield grabbing might "miss", like say, your opponent's dash attack ends up behind you, or your opponent's air move might end up behind you.

Grab is the safer way to go at opponents with low percents.

Jabbing is also an option. I'm not sure if i'm perfect shielding, but it works too.

You can also forward B out of the shield. I've been messing around with this one lately... seems no different from shield grabbing to me, since it also comes out quick and is unblockable.

Top Bottom