• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Squall control?

Slush

Smash Cadet
I have seen IC videos, or brawled other ICers that consistently recover with an aerial squall. Instead of falling in a sharp arc, theyll float much more horizontally, and heck, I even brawled someone that recovered upwards with an aerial squall.

I have no idea how to do this, and whenever I try to I just go in a quarter circle and shoot down past the ledge, rather than going farther horizontally or up. It could just be the fact that the videos I'm watching are smaller, however I still want to know how to recover vertically with squall while in the air.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Mash the B button. As fast as humanly possible.

Unfortunately it's insanely hard to get maximum height, but you should be able to recover vertically with it. Optimal usage gets you higher than up-B.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I mash B lightly to get to the highest, but online's hard because the timing for Squall's off x.x and I usually get one of the mid high ones.
After the move is done from recovering up the air, you can see the death fall of Popo and Nana being separated (I don't mean they are separated but Popo is close to Nana) vertically. I tried telling that to people but they don't know what I'm talking about. :( I guess it wasn't that clearly enough.

It's like, the more Popo and Nana are separated vertically from the air from Squall, Squall was high. If you see them together in a death fall after the move, of course the recovery wasn't that high.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Yeah, just go crazy on that B button, and you should go pretty well with it. If you are SoPo, when above the stage after being knocked off, just mash B and you will go far horizontally, and not lose much height until the move is done, If below the stage, well UpB might be your best bet. :S

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Yeah, just go crazy on that B button, and you should go pretty well with it. If you are SoPo, when above the stage after being knocked off, just mash B and you will go far horizontally, and not lose much height until the move is done, If below the stage, well UpB might be your best bet. :S
I'd rather not use SoPo's Belay when I'm far away from the ledge, I know I won't even recover, so I use d-air. :bee:

i have no problem to recover with squall. btw you can go under fd with it =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzQghPhBXo
This kind of Squall gets me often the most, but that is not the highest Squall. =[

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
That's weird. Whenever I mash the Side-B, I get mixed results. I have a set rhythm that I used instead, going by the sound of Squall Hammer makes. I can still reverse jump Hyrule. I only mash fastest when I have one Climber.

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ I've tried testing timing stuff in training mode, different speeds, it was always with very mixed results; I could never find solid evidence that there's some sort of timing trick to getting a decent recovery from it. I'd be very interested to know if such is the case, though. If anyone has any ideas how to solidly figure it out...

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
When you're trying to Squall at different speeds at 1/4 and 1/2, you don't mash B, you have to tap it by the rhythm maybe but not consistently. At 2/3, mash it a bit medium-fast or something. At 1.2, I have no idea, so fast, I can't even do make it high, obviously. ^^;

infomon

Smash Scientist
If there's a rhythm to using Squall at normal speed, then I expected to be able to find such a thing at slower gamespeeds. But I couldn't. Now, training mode 1/4 speed actually adds frames -- at least, video frames, to make it look smooth; however my assumption would be that the game's logic calculations don't also go quadruple speed to accomodate, and so I would expect that input done between logic frames would buffer until the next logic calculation. If that's true, then a squall rhythm should be possible at both gamespeeds. If my assumptions are wrong somewhere, then yeah it's possible the good rhythm can't be done (or is ridiculously hard) at 1/4 speed.

Of course my tests weren't extensive anyway, I don't have great timing lol. But just theorizing....
Brawl hack projects are prolly the only way for us to find out for sure about this. But quite possibly, the more unique frames you've hit the B button, the higher it goes. :urg:

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I find the optimum speed to mashing B to be each time the hammers make that wizzing sound (basically every halfway the Ice Climber Hammers reach). Be warned, the more vertical momentum you give yourself, the less horizontal momentum you get.

Slush

Smash Cadet
Wow, thanks, I have tried every other button combination and analog stick movement, but never even thought to keep pressing b. Thanks again guys.

KAT0N

Smash Apprentice
If I could find it, theres a video of ICs recovering from the very bottom platform of Temple to the right ledge with Squall.

Top Bottom