• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice needed. (Videos)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I've been having problems with Kirbykaze lately. Combination of him being really good and me not being so crisp and precise. These are the latest videos we have up, so go to work guys. Anything and everything is much appreciated, as usual.
(Ignore the tags on the youtube vids regarding match #)

Raynex v Blunted_Object10

The legendary Match 0 (the surprise is at the end of the match)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHGqoqzAf8

Match 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2-rOeG3Gc
Match 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh_AFb1Gt9M
Match 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXpwp3t4n0
Match 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkvc2EoRGa0

Raynex v KirbyKaze

Match 1&2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpy6ruKE3jY
Match 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5T6uWBQ4k
Match 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIOuSyVeRKo

PK Webb

Smash Champion
K idk if it means dodo from me since ur clearly a better fox than me but I feel as if u r being to aggressive....I know no 1 thing will not solve ur issue cuz kk is a beast...perhaps at higher percents u could go for more shine up smash instead of waveshine up throw follow up....waveshining to dsmash....I like ur edgeguarding tho....1 thing that works for me but I could just be playin scrubs is run in sheild upsmash outta sheild or shine outta sheild to follow up

I only saw the 1st vid

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'll accept any advice from anyone. There could be something you see that I forgot to add to my game or something. I am too aggressive alot of the time, I agree.

unknown522

Some guy
bernard, when I see you in a bit, we can watch the vids and I'll point out everything I can...though I already told you what to do...

edit:

So game 1:

- you keep trying to attack from directly above in game 1, then eat a u-tilt/u-air and a combo.

- When you DD, you loosely get hit a lot. Try running in and shielding, then doing a shine oos. I don't feel like pointing out all the times because there are so many.

- 0:45, you were DDing close to david and he came down with a f-air from pretty high, and you didn't do anything to punish. That could've potentially been 70% right there with a d-air -> shine -> etc.

- 0:50, you CC'd the jab and didn't d-tilt him. That could've been 30% right there. Still, he tried to grab when you jumped, and you didn't d-air -> shine -> etc. You hit him with a b-air and you could've followed up with n-air instead of jabbing.

- 1:02, you rushed out and missed a gimp...it would've been worse if you didn't miss that badly because you probably would've gotten hit for jumping out like that. Take your time and take the ledge when you can. Her crappy air mobility won't let her get away.

- 1:08, he threw out another random f-tilt while you were dashing. That was a free n-air for you.

- A lot of times you got right under david, but you didn't u-tilt/u-air/u-smash. Making him go above you should be one of the most important things you should be looking for. Examples so far are 0:43, where you jump right into a b-air. 1:31, you did a d-air while he was on the platfrom.

- After 1:33, you run right into a u-tilt...following that, you CC a lot of jabs. I saw you miss the shine, but you should've had gotten some kind of punish because he kept jabbing. **** happens though.

- 1:37, you got hit by a f-air -> f-tilt. Didn't CC any of them, or shield the f-tilt.

- Stock 3, you CC a lot of stuff, but never punished anything.

- on the same stock, you did d-air from the ledge twice when he was pretty far away. Not a good idea.

- 2:59, you should've n-air'd from the throw on the top platfrom. That u-tilt would've worked after.

- 3:16, that was another d-air -> grab -> etc, instead of b-air. Potential 70% again.

- Afterwards, it feels like you're desperate to run away from david as he puts pressure. You get back onto the stage somehow at 110% or something, then you were shielding at the ledge. David was above you and you could've WD oos and hit him with something as he was landing when he was moving away with a b-air. Instead you jumped and tried to d-air him while he was still in the air and got b-air'd.

Anyways, game 2:

- stock 1, I don't really see much but you're dropping a lot of combos. Mistakes w/e.

- 4:44, he threw out a random f-tilt, but you ran away. You could've gotten a d-air -> shine -> etc. 70% combo. 4:48, you didn't punish the dash attack with d-air -> shine -> etc.

- 4:50, he accidently did an f-smash and you CC'd it and didn't punish it with anything.

- Between 4:44 - 4:54, you ran into 3 f-tilts I think. Be careful.

- 5:08, david throws out a d-air randomly which screamed "free hit!". You ran away...

- 5:46, david throws out a random f-air. You could've gotten a SH n-air -> grab for a potential 30-40%. But you were still DDing.

- 6:08, you shined him and he fell off. You know what you could've done/probably tried to do. After that, he got back onto the stage, but you moved really far away from him instead of applying pressure to him. He also threw out an f-tilt as soon as he got up and you were close by. You could've punished it with anything at that distance.

- After the previous statement, he accidently charged a f-smash and you hit him with a n-air. Believe it or not, that was the correct choice. The thing is though, that you didn't place it well though, otherwise you could've gotten a shine after, even if he f-tilted since you were so deep into his range already.

- 6:14, you both jumped and you decided to fade back, but you didn't shield when he was obviously going to attack (well, obvious to me anyway).

- 6:19 - 6:23, he jumped a lot very close to you. You could've punished each and every time he jumped with a n-air, or grab.

- The rest of the stock, you continuously whiff moves by putting them too short.

- On your last stock before you got the kill, every attack that david did was unsafe. You could've n-air'd him for everything, because he was too close to you while whiffing aerials.

Moving on...Game 3:

- Great first stock. But at 0:30, you could've u-smash'd him after the weak b-air. I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" But yeah afterwards, you guys trade hits and he gets the ledge. You didn't try to edge pressure him at all. Try to make him nervous/force him to shino-stall and watch out for ledge-WD stuff. You know what I usually do.

- 1:00, he's chasing you and you could've easily sidestepped that dash attack. He had 3 offensive options, but sidestepping/shielding would've covered most of them:
* dash attack/boost grab (shield, or reactive sidestep [you can see the grab coming])
* jump and attempt to aerial (shield or early sidestep)
* dash-cancel -> d-tilt/f-tilt/grab (shield or sidestep)
You could do more things like roll, but those are some random things you could've done. Pretty much the other setups would've taken long to do because he was running.

- 1:48, you combo'd him into u-air and didn't even attemt to give him a hard time while he was in the air. You could've u-air'd from below again. He has to perfectly time a f-air to beat that, and it's ridiculously hard to do.

- 2:18, david was moving back when he started his recovery. You could've just stood up and it would've covered everything. You still killed him, so it's all good.

- After the kill, you hit him with a few shines....LOL @ your controller. I know that was the problem.

- Good work on david's last stock.

Finally, Game 4:

- how did you start with 40%? That's not fair...

- first 20 seconds: use your shield sometime, or CC things.

- This whole game went bad because you never defend yourself. You constantly get hit since you almost never use your shield. You also didn't follow-up with more than 1 hit whenever you landed a hit. You missed a lot of punishes, when david left himself open. It's easy to see if you watch it again. It was just a lack of precision that made you lose this match.

****, that was long.

More later if I see anything.

EWC

Smash Ace
It seems to me that you try to go more aggro when you get nervous/feel pressured. This often results in you running straight into kk's foot.

I couldn't help but notice that kk managed to get a kill off of every grab/knockdown with frightening consistency. I nlight of this, I think that it would be beneficial to actively focus on slowing down and playing more methodically when you get nervous, at least until you can bring it back to a neutral position.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being aggressive, but you've got to have the chops to back it up. What I think happens to a lot of fox players (certainly happens to me) is that we always try to play at our absolute fastest. The problem with this is it changes constantly. There's just no way that anyone can be totally sharp and on point all the time. Therefore, it is important to figure out early on just how far you can push yourself on any given day, and then do your best within those constraints.

Hope this can help.

sauc3

Smash Lord
i think you need to realize when you can and can't land an attack.
A lot of times, KK would be falling towards a platform and you would try to punish before he gets there, and KK would tech to the opposite side and escape before you could hit him, but you throw the attack out anyway, and the momentum is completely reversed. If you just sat there and DD in these situations, and waited for teh tech, a lot of your combos wouldn't end so early. Na mean?

Eggm

Smash Hero
It seems to me that you try to go more aggro when you get nervous/feel pressured. This often results in you running straight into kk's foot.

I couldn't help but notice that kk managed to get a kill off of every grab/knockdown with frightening consistency. I nlight of this, I think that it would be beneficial to actively focus on slowing down and playing more methodically when you get nervous, at least until you can bring it back to a neutral position.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being aggressive, but you've got to have the chops to back it up. What I think happens to a lot of fox players (certainly happens to me) is that we always try to play at our absolute fastest. The problem with this is it changes constantly. There's just no way that anyone can be totally sharp and on point all the time. Therefore, it is important to figure out early on just how far you can push yourself on any given day, and then do your best within those constraints.

Hope this can help.
The very first sentence summed it up from what I saw in the 1st two matches. I only watched games 1-2, but it seemed to me that he was just more patient in the approaching than you were. You seemed to like to dance just outside of his range and come in after he did something and punish the problem was he got close and pressured you into attacking faster than you wanted with that strategy. Use the platforms and foxes faster speed to move around and keep much further away from sheik to either gain enough distance to shoot a laser or just to annoy them and make them approach while staying safe. You can't outspace and play sheik straight up she's just better at fox than that. You need to use lasers and speed to make her approach or its useless lol.

EWC

Smash Ace
It's funny you say this. I felt my tech chasing was rather poor that set. :laugh:
Well, you didn't actually tech chase him to death all the time, but you were still able to prevent him from getting any breathing room. So usually after you knock him down, he would end up dead before he got another real chance to attack you. So the effect is nearly the same as actually techchasing to death.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. Unknown thanks a ****load. Sometimes hearing all this advice makes me sort of sad. I've been playing for so long...and its like "****, do I really make that many mistakes and/or bad decisions?" This just shows that everyone has room to improve.

Any other random advice would be great. Thanks to all who have contributed so far!

cykofox

Smash Ace
I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. Unknown thanks a ****load. Sometimes hearing all this advice makes me sort of sad. I've been playing for so long...and its like "****, do I really make that many mistakes and/or bad decisions?" This just shows that everyone has room to improve.

Any other random advice would be great. Thanks to all who have contributed so far!
ahh dont get sad. everyone even the top pros make mistakes and bad decisions.
the thing is this game is about doing the same things over and over, you want to get consistent at these things cuz the way this game is played today people take your stock for dumb little mistakes. mango is unstoppable right now cuz he hardly messes up the little things.

i only saw the first match with blunted and like there was one stock where you beasted him hard and he was offstage getting his firebird ready to sweetspot and you opted to stay on stage and foward smash and didnt get him(now i know that both you and i know that the fmash doesnt always connect on sweetspots if ever) plus he might've had a good *** angle but none of that would of mattered if you would of jumped out and shined his *** cuz falco that fuker has no startup hitbox.

i know you know more about this game then me but i just wanted to tell you that. feel free to correct me if anything i said was incorrect, but my point if that sometimes you have to take a very nonchalant mentality to the game and to me you seem very disciplined.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You know who's posting:

np. Trying to help

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i wanna see unknown use his critique style on one of my matches

i play so ugly it will be like 10 pages

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If Unknown wrote down everything he said in criticism when he watched me play for about two, maybe three hours, he'd probably have enough material for a novella.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
EC Canada is really freakin good.

That includes you, RaynEX.

You can always get better, that's a universal rule. So just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

pressokman

Smash Apprentice
RaynEX and Unknown always have top notch advice. **** EC Canada is good! Can't wait to make it to a tourney out there

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Hearing good, detailed advice is like a golden digi-egg. Its really shiny, has the potential to allow you to digivolve and **** on people with your Fox, and is probably just as delicious when flipped over.

I think I'm in Champion form right now.

unknown522

Some guy
This time actually practice tech skill RustnEX

edit: And stop jumping into my F-throw Nair.
i wanna see unknown use his critique style on one of my matches

i play so ugly it will be like 10 pages
If Unknown wrote down everything he said in criticism when he watched me play for about two, maybe three hours, he'd probably have enough material for a novella.
lol. I like these posts.

EC Canada is really freakin good.

That includes you, RaynEX.

You can always get better, that's a universal rule. So just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
yeah!

RaynEX and Unknown always have top notch advice. **** EC Canada is good! Can't wait to make it to a tourney out there
I've been wanting to go to some WC tourneys. When I have the money, I will for sure.

Hearing good, detailed advice is like a golden digi-egg. Its really shiny, has the potential to allow you to digivolve and **** on people with your Fox, and is probably just as delicious when flipped over.

I think I'm in Champion form right now.
It's all about Wargreymon. Unless you're playing rumble arena 2.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
RA2 is dumb because it skips Ultimate stage for like half of them.

I can't even make MetalGreymon boob cannon jokes because that form's not even in the game.

No Weregarurumon is ****ing stupid too.

I.B

Smash Lord
*loves Ryan's advice*

I actually read through all of it and followed along with the corresponding videos.

/geekmon

unknown522

Some guy
mmmmmmmmm I know :embarrass.

Also, re-reading this made me laugh. Especially what I said in the first paragraph of game 3. Sounds exactly how I talk....Kind of jumpy and borderline topic change.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
im gonna try to record a match of my fox for you, the best one on youtube right now is over a year old and on rainbow cruise so i imagine the critique wont work as well

i feel like i play pretty differently from what the current metagame expects of foxes, so im interested to see what you would come up with

Top Bottom