• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

adult Link's Dtilt spike

Eramor

Smash Apprentice
Everyone who's been readign the boards has heard of YLink's Dtilt spike (which kicks ***). But what about adult Link? I can hear someone thinking "his Dtilt doesn't spike, idiot". If that's what you think, you're wrong. Depending on the spacing, Link's Dtilt can spike, too. The point you hace to hit them at is somewhere about the first quarter of the blade length - the spot's pretty small. but you can do awesome stuff with this. I once spike a computer off the edge while they were standing two bodywidtdhs away from it. On the ground. It was awesome. I can't duplicate it. maybe someone can give a tip or two to help pull this off?

TWP

Smash Ace
Using the Spike is a lot liek using Marth, but dedicating it to only one move. You hjave to learn the spacing for almost every situation, and learn it by heart.

Memorize the exact spacing for the spike, and soon you'll be able to spike with his d-tilt everytime you want. And it is useful, because onc eyou can spike wiht it 95 % of the time, Mind games start to play into the factor.

Sorry I can't really tell you pixels, but its just a matter of time and dedication IMO.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Go to Training Mode and stand in front of the other character (exactly in front). Put the speed on 1/2 or 1/4, and do your down A move. If you see a green wave from off the ground, it means you did the spike. It just doesn’t seem like you did the spike because since the other person is standing on the ground, they bounce off of the ground into the air. Similar to when people like Ganondorf and Samus do their spikes, and the other character bounces off the ground. That’s the appropriate distance for this Meteor Smash, but sometimes you can do it from far away. I’ve practiced it a lot, and it looks more like a glitch to me than a specific distance, because even if you do it at that specific distance it doesn’t always come out. However, the close-ranged distance one works every time. A down throw can lead into this (depends on the character and also their damage). This move is excellent for catching people that are trying to sweet spot the ledge. I’m not guaranteeing anything with that, though.

TWP

Smash Ace
This move is excellent for catching people that are trying to sweet spot the ledge. I’m not guaranteeing anything with that, though.
Just so you know, The Young One's d-tilt is crazy good at spiking, and my main tool for nailing good sweet spotters. Keep in mind though that both of these can be meteor cancelled.

If you want a consistant spike, use the Young One, else keep practicing and hope Lady Luck remains on your side.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Link’s can be done as consistently as Young Link’s too, except it’s not always so apparent to people how to get it everytime. I usually jump after I catch someone with it, just in case that they recover, I’m ready to land on them with a neutral aerial.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It is quite simple to spike C. Falcon or Ganon with D-tilt, but other than that, it is not easy to pull off. I'd rather stick to other edge guard tactics.

Eramor

Smash Apprentice
I agree. The dtilt spike for Link doesn't have very good range, as they have to be pretty close to you for it to spike.

but the fact that you can spike people with it while they're standing on the ground merits some further investigation, I think. Other than edgegardeing, maybe you could combo into it with a SHFFL sex kick, then spike off the edge.

Supernova

Smash Ace
when it comes to high %s, and the match doesn't matter, who cares about all that.

it's MUCH MUCH more fun to chase after them out over a pit with a daerial. adult link being more fun and potentially suicidal, since it'll always send them up. (just whip out the move earlier than usual to leave out the suicidal portion.)

at least that's the "proper" way to finish off a high % opponent in a meaningless game in my book.

you know you all agree with me.:cool:

Deva

Smash Lord
First off, Link and Y.Link's d-tilt IS NOT A SPIKE.

The d-tilt edge guard you're referring to is a meteor smash. On the note of what Lord HDL said, it's not that Y.Link's is more consistant, it's that he has a puny sword....making his d-tilt meoteor smash virtually anywhere his opponent is hit. The meteor smash occurs most often as the opponent is just above the sword as the d-tilt is performed. Overall, the d-tilt is a relatively useless edge guard against advanced levels of play. Not only is it extremely easy to tech, you can also meteor cancel it.

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
who cares, it became useful information to me.

especially since I just started using this move recently. I think I'll go practice it some more now.

Deva

Smash Lord
No don't practice it. It's extremely useless. It's actually better if the d-tilt hits them up so you can combo into a d-air for a definate kill.

BTW, lol I should have noticed that HDL never posts on the Link boards anymore. I should have realized the thread was three years old.

Top Bottom