• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh sorry, I did some research and I found out that what I read was speculation, not an interview.
It was this thread and it was about K Rool, but again, I was confused, it's just a speculation of how King K Rool made it in Smash thanks to the fans.

Sakurai made some comments about Geno though, but Geno is still not in the game yet... hopefully he will, but while he's not in, we can't use him as an example (though he got that custume so...).
It's fine. It's just that the "old character who still gets a lot of votes" bit really did come from the Geno interview.
Sakurai: "Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game."
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ans-one-most-requested-smash-bros-characters/

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
In the meanwhile...
On Kirby's official Twitter

You have no idea of how happy I am that Adeleine is finally getting some attention again. I hope they will continue like this forever.
I hope she will appear in the next Kirby game too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
In the meanwhile...

You have no idea of how happy I am that Adeleine is finally getting some attention again. I hope they will continue like this forever.
I'm PRAYING that out of all the characters reintroduced to the franchise via Star Allies, that Adeleine is kept around for future games (Oh, and Ribbon too!), to the point that she becomes one of the main characters, bumping it up to the main 5 characters (or 6 characters if they keep Ribbon around, which I really hope they do).

If anything, Adeleine SHOULD have been around for much longer, had the anime not done the brand-damage it did to the Kirby series for 17 years. Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin could explain this better than I can.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm PRAYING that out of all the characters reintroduced to the franchise via Star Allies, that Adeleine is kept around for future games (Oh, and Ribbon too!), to the point that she becomes one of the main characters, bumping it up to the main 5 characters (or 6 characters if they keep Ribbon around, which I really hope they do).

If anything, Adeleine SHOULD have been around for much longer, had the anime not done the brand-damage it did to the Kirby series for 17 years. Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin could explain this better than I can.
The two Switch news articles that highlight her appearance in Star Allies seem to acknowledge the fans that have been waiting for Adeleine to come back, so it seems they are aware, which I kind of assumed. Whether or not this actually translates into something is uncertain, but I'd imagine even the lesser scenarios won't be nearly as bad as the implications earlier this year. Regardless, I'm guessing it would be a wise move for HAL to follow up by making her (and presumably Ribbon) recurring from now on. If not playable, then at least as support.

And yes, Adeleine should definitely have appeared sooner. I understand why Return to Dreamland didn't include her, but every game from Triple Deluxe onwards did not have an excuse for it, not even Star Allies at first. The uproar for her return honestly should've never gotten that intense, and shouldn't even have had to happen. But eh, water under the bridge.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I was thinking...
What if "Adeleine & Ribbon" is a newcomer AND "Elline & Claycia" is their echo fighter?

They can work IMO.
Adeleine & Ribbon should always appear together, unlike in Kirby Star Allies where Ribbon disappears. When you play as Claycia, Elline takes the role of the main character of the two (while with Adeleine, Ribbon is secondary), but gameplay-wise they would work the same.
They both summon stuff, though, when Elline draws stuff on the canvas, Claycia creates a clay figure, and Elline's drawing is transfered on the clay figure to animate it (similar to when Elline transforms Kirby into a rocket or a submarine); Elline's drawing doesn't need to be the same as the summoned creature, it can be something conceptually similar but different, like when Kirby temporarily transforms into Rick/Coo/Kine before becoming a tank/rocket/submarine.

The only difficult part would be to adapt the Crystal based moves... though, I'm sure there's a way to do it... for example, both characters could have a rocket move, Adeleine & Ribbon would perform it by riding the Crystal, while Elline would transform Claycia into a rocket like she did with Kirby in the WiiU game; instead of the crystal gun, they could use one of those shotzo-like pots.

This would be a lot of work though (since the animations would be very different even though the hitboxes would be the same), and I don't know if Elline is popular enough to deserve the effort, but it's definitely a possibility.

I think Elline & Claycia would be an heavy character around the weight of Donkey Kong (or a bit less), while Adeleine & Ribbon would obviously be very light and faster.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
In the meanwhile...

Cute drawing! :grin:
It makes Ribbon look smaller than usual, but that's what makes it even cuter lol~

Last edited:

link3710

Smash Cadet
I can't believe there's an entire thread dedicated to Adeleine for Smash. The Elline and Claycia echo idea is honestly brilliant, even if it's kind of hard to conceptualize. I'm sure if the set was built from the ground up with that in mind, it could definitely work though.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I can't believe there's an entire thread dedicated to Adeleine for Smash. The Elline and Claycia echo idea is honestly brilliant, even if it's kind of hard to conceptualize. I'm sure if the set was built from the ground up with that in mind, it could definitely work though.
Yep there sure is! ^^
Would you like to join the supporters list here? (^_^)

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Probably it means nothing, but they revealed the password of the month for Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, and it's KRACKO. Last month it was ICEDRAGON.
Now, both Kracko and Ice Dragon are bosses in the game, though, I see a pattern too. Kracko and Ice Dragon are two of the most iconic summons of Adeleine (especially Ice Dragon), and they both can be summoned by her in Kirby Star Allies.
If next month is PAINTBRUSH (with a picture of Drawcia's paintbrush, that's a weapon in the game), then I'll start being concerned (in a good way) that they are actually planning something.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I like these concerns of yours~ My hope is starting to raise!

You know there's a combined chart compromising of almost 50,000 votes showing Adeleine was able to beat out Marx and Galacta Knight during the Smash Ballots, but not Bandana. So that's her only competition, and Sakurai enjoys making unique movesets more and surprising us with unexpected character choices so I think most everyone is really sleeping on her chances.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

You know there's a combined chart compromising of almost 50,000 votes showing Adeleine was able to beat out Marx and Galacta Knight during the Smash Ballots, but not Bandana. So that's her only competition, and Sakurai enjoys making unique movesets more and surprising us with unexpected character choices so I think most everyone is really sleeping on her chances.
O_O??? Really? Is there a source for that? I think that Magolor is also a big competitor (and in my opinion he's even a bigger competitor than Bandana Dee, since Magolor does not have to face the Toad curse in order to access the roster), Where Magolor placed in that chart?

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's safe to keep the hope too high, it would be awesome if she makes it in Smash, but she's not one of the overall most requested characters...
The hope is still there regardless, it's just that it's better to not expect too much, in order to avoid delusions.
Personally, I want her to be playable at any cost, but I'd be happy even with her just being recognized in some way, even as a regular trophy... that would be bad but better than nothing (and if you think about it, it's very likely that each Dream Friend will get at least a trophy, so Adeleine may appear as a trophy after all).

Now that I think... what if she's a boss in the adventure mode?

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The two Switch news articles that highlight her appearance in Star Allies seem to acknowledge the fans that have been waiting for Adeleine to come back, so it seems they are aware, which I kind of assumed. Whether or not this actually translates into something is uncertain, but I'd imagine even the lesser scenarios won't be nearly as bad as the implications earlier this year. Regardless, I'm guessing it would be a wise move for HAL to follow up by making her (and presumably Ribbon) recurring from now on. If not playable, then at least as support.

And yes, Adeleine should definitely have appeared sooner. I understand why Return to Dreamland didn't include her, but every game from Triple Deluxe onwards did not have an excuse for it, not even Star Allies at first. The uproar for her return honestly should've never gotten that intense, and shouldn't even have had to happen. But eh, water under the bridge.
Various directors seemed to just focus on the core trio for several years before RTDL's Fab Four. It highlighted the problem that the various creators of the Kirby franchise didn't really want to use the characters other people have made, so it basically felt directionless until now, but at least Kumazaki did acknowledge them in various small ways until Star Allies gave him the perfect chance for a big comeback.

Here is the link to the thingy:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ppw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit?usp=drivesdk

Now that you mention him, no she didn't beat out Magolor, but for her name even to appear on this huge list at all I consider a victory!

It would be cool if in the new adventure mode she's in the background and she draws out the old bosses of subspace from brawl for you to fight! :b:
This is definitely interesting. She might have higher chances than I thought after all, though the biggest obstacle is whether Sakurai is willing to relent on past mistakes, especially since Shimomura is still MIA.

Edit: On the poll results that Source Gaming gathered, her overall placement isn't too high at 145, but is fair:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1riZ4HDxzIjb8OmJyV2T9KgG6M1X-r6siXljFH1nQwdw/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Maybe not as a playable character but I could see her being an assist trophy.
I would be ok with her being an assist trophy, really, after 18 years of being completely forgotten and neglected, even an assist trophy would please me.

Though, since there's already Nikki who does almost the same thing (brings drawings to life), I fear it would be a bit unlikely for Adeleine to appear as an asssit trophy (I think Nikki soft-deconfirms her as AT).

There are other possible roles for her, I'm pretty confident that she will at least get a trophy due to her Dream Friend status (I think each Dream Friend will get a trophy since they can just reuse the game models), but she can appear as a story mode boss as well. I hope she will at least get something.

As unlikely as it is, being a newcomer is still a possibility though, it's not completely impossible.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Though, since there's already Nikki who does almost the same thing (brings drawings to life), I fear it would be a bit unlikely for Adeleine to appear as an asssit trophy (I think Nikki soft-deconfirms her as AT).
Good point there. At most then I could see her being an trophy.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I would be ok with her being an assist trophy, really, after 18 years of being completely forgotten and neglected, even an assist trophy would please me.

There are other possible roles for her, I'm pretty confident that she will at least get a trophy due to her Dream Friend status (I think each Dream Friend will get a trophy since they can just reuse the game models), but she can appear as a story mode boss as well. I hope she will at least get something.

As unlikely as it is, being a newcomer is still a possibility though, it's not completely impossible.
Good point there. At most then I could see her being an trophy.
No no guys- she's going to be playable... Keep the fire ALIVE :bobomb::bobomb::bobomb:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
A new Nintendo Direct approaches. I am at least expecting some new Dream Friends DLC for Star Allies.
In the meanwhile...

Ah it's just too cute!
Also, 100& yes. Hal officially does know that we want Adeleine, Ribbon, and all of Kirby's older friends to appear in more Kirby games. So she btter show up in a future game.

God dangit Anime. Will I mean the anime was a pretty good adaptation of the games for what it is so I'll forgive it. I definitely place it up there with Sonic Satam, Sonic Boom and Netflix's Castlevania of video game cartoons.

Wait really?! That's pretty good!
She defeated Magolor in that poll! Magolor is 152 (Marx is 220)
THIS IS EVEN BETTER! If Sakurai for whatever reason does not want to add Bandana Dee as a new Kirby character we at least know it could be Ado.

I'm confident that Adeleine along with the other Dream Friends will be trophies this time at least. It just has to happen.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So... Isabelle is the newcomer...
I'm not a fan of Animal Crossing so I don't care too much, though she seems interesting, she has a couple of funny moves such as the fishing rod (she seems to be a semiclone of Villager, a very distinct one who has very few similarities, but she appears to be still based on him).
I'm surprised that Tom Nook was there to announce the new Animal Crossing game and not to be a fighter or an echo too.

Anyway, no Adeleine, once again.
During the direct there were a couple of things that were predicted by some leaks. The leaks weren't completely correct, but at least some real informations were there, such as that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Pocket Edition, and the special rewards for the online players.
That leak predicted Isaac and Incineroar if I remember... they may be real after all.

I have a bad feeling anyway, less than 3 months until the release and only 1 newcomer, not even echoes... I've got the feeling that we will recive 4 additional newcomers at max, and maybe some more echoes.
With characters such Isaac, Incineroar, Geno, Karate Joe, etc... all getting hints, credible leaks and stuff, I think we already know all the names, and Adeleine is sadly not one of them... I've that bad feeling that maybe Kirby won't get any newcomer once again, since Kirby characters are never mentioned in those credible leaks :(
I think there was a leak that mentioned Dark Metaknight as an echo, but I'm not sure... maybe that's the only thing we will get...

One thing is for sure, the tension is very high, and I fear Sakurai decides to listen to the mass and put that waddle dee in place of any other better choice.

And on the subject of the Direct being delayed, I suspect that they had more than one reason to delay it. Probably they changed it because it was leaked too... some informations we got from the leaks were true, though the character they announced was different, and other stuff was different too... so this Direct didn't change anything, it didn't debunk anything, we're still in the same situation of tension as before.
That's bad.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Don't feel too sad. I have a feeling myself, and that's that Sakurai is ready to surprise us with someone no one saw coming at the last minute! and that someone could always be Adeleine (or Lip?)
You see, Sakurai can't be any dumber than any of us, he's a smart guy. He knows fans speculate and are able to predict the most popular choices, so he likes to work on odd character inclusions in every game (Examples: G&W, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, etc.)
So something is going to come that blows us out of the water eventually~

I figured you would like Animal Crossing. You can paint on clothes and other stuff in AC, and it has many Kirby and other Nintendo references through out; it's a very creative series. You can get Adeleine's beret to wear in the game.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Don't feel too sad. I have a feeling myself, and that's that Sakurai is ready to surprise us with someone no one saw coming at the last minute! and that someone could always be Adeleine (or Lip?)
You see, Sakurai can't be any dumber than any of us, he's a smart guy. He knows fans speculate and are able to predict the most popular choices, so he likes to work on odd character inclusions in every game (Examples: G&W, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, etc.)
So something is going to come that blows us out of the water eventually~

I figured you would like Animal Crossing. You can paint on clothes and other stuff in AC, and it has many Kirby and other Nintendo references through out; it's a very creative series. You can get Adeleine's beret to wear in the game.
Thank you for cheering me up! I hope you are right...

Anyway I played Animal Crossing on DS for a couple of years time ago, I just... got bored after a while... It's nice that you can customize all the stuff but I don't know, it gets repetitive.
As a completionist, I tried to complete the museum, but even that was impossible, too hard and required a lot of luck, so at a certain point I dropped it.
It's cute and relaxing though.

Maybe the newer games are better and there is more stuff to do... but I haven't tried them, maybe I should?

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how that Epic Yarn port will fare... I mean, it's not too likely Adeleine will show up there, since she wasn't in the original, but we don't know if those two minigames are all we're getting or if there will be others. I suddenly want an Adeleine themed follow-up to Paint Panic from Canvas Curse.

Anyway, one Smash reveal is pretty disappointing. If Nikki wasn't there, I'd say Adeleine has a shot of replacing Isabelle now, but sadly the chances of being an assist trophy aren't high.

On the other hand, there's still the possibility that there won't be another Kirby rep again, and while normally I consider this a bad thing, this time it may be just what Adeleine needs. I worry if another popular character gets in the base game, he'll cause the fanbase to shut down any other possible Kirby rep. So if we get underserved again, hopefully people will notice and it will cause people to realize there are great options that went unnoticed. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I wonder how that Epic Yarn port will fare... I mean, it's not too likely Adeleine will show up there, since she wasn't in the original, but we don't know if those two minigames are all we're getting or if there will be others. I suddenly want an Adeleine themed follow-up to Paint Panic from Canvas Curse.

Anyway, one Smash reveal is pretty disappointing. If Nikki wasn't there, I'd say Adeleine has a shot of replacing Isabelle now, but sadly the chances of being an assist trophy aren't high.

On the other hand, there's still the possibility that there won't be another Kirby rep again, and while normally I consider this a bad thing, this time it may be just what Adeleine needs. I worry if another popular character gets in the base game, he'll cause the fanbase to shut down any other possible Kirby rep. So if we get underserved again, hopefully people will notice and it will cause people to realize there are great options that went unnoticed. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things.
I don't know... I totally expect for Adeleine to show up in some future games, though this Epic Yarn remake is too recent, it was probably already in development when Adeleine's Dream Friend hype started.
Anyway I would love to see a minigame about her.

About other Kirby newcomers, in my opinion it depends on what character is chosen. If a certain character (you know who) makes it in Smash, everyone will say "Kirby is complete, no more Kirby characters are needed!!!1!" and we can forget of any other Kirby newcomer for at least 2 or 3 iterations of Smash, that may even mean 10 to 20 years depending on how fast those games get released, assuming that the series will still exist (that's one of the reasons why I DON'T WANT him in Smash, and it's not the only one).

In case other characters are added, such as Magolor or Marx, or even Dark Matter I think it would make people want more Kirby characters instead, because it would suggest that kirby characters from outside the "main trio" are now allowed to join Smash; so it may require time, but this solution IMO would open the possibility to get Adeleine soon enough, maybe even as DLC for this game.

Echo characters instead wouldn't affect the chances of getting Adeleine at all, I think.

Getting no newcomers is better than getting that one specific newcomer anyway, so a part of me hopes this is the case, as sad as it would be.

This said, the thing that Adeleine really needs the most is to appear in another game, or appear in more games in general, possibly not only as a cameo.

We shouldn't stop supporting her, no matter how likely she is to appear: that's the only way we have to bring her back as a recurring character in the Kirby series, and in Smash as a consequence.

---------

In the meanwhile, we made over 300 posts! It's not that big of a number, though characters such as Isabelle had a thread with around 400 posts and ended in Smash regardless, so... that's good I think!
For this special event, I changed the title of the thread to:

"Adeleine, The Miracle Painter: Chasing her Dreams in Smash Ultimate (& Ribbon?)"

I wanted to reference the name of Adeleine's artwork in Kirby Star Allies ("Chasing Our Dreams"), just like I referenced the Kirby 64 cutscene "Adding Adeleine" in one of my old threads.
I added "& Ribbon?" because she may end into Smash as a duo with Ribbon.

This makes me think that, if she becomes a newcomer, the text on her presentation screen may be like: "Adeleine - Chases her Dreams", or "Adeleine & Ribbon - Chase their Dreams" or something like this... I think it's more original than directly referencing paint or art.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Hmm yes, im quite the game completionist myself. Zelda's BotW has still been driving me mad with all the Korok seeds i have left missing. I've completed everything else in the game except this; i have nearly 700, but you need 900 to complete the quest! :eek:
And the random fossil drops and fishing mechanisms in AC always annoyed me too lol

Characters like Isabelle being included actually give me hope for characters like Adeleine and Lip! Remember that google document i posted compiling all the votes in polls during the smash ballot? Well take a look at it again and you'll see Isabelle didn't even make the list- YES, Adeleine was technically more popular and wanted more than Isabelle back in 2015! I feel like anyone can make it in now ^^

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I made some rushed sketches.
They are based on a moveset concept of mine, but they are a mess.
In case you are interested, they're in the spoiler...
Feel free to ask if something is not clear enough.
normal moves small.png

Smashes small.png

Specials small.png

Additionally, Among Waddle Dees nominated Adeleine in the Rate their Chance thread... I hope I won't miss the day (I'm busy).

EDIT: Anyway, the concept of Pacto for up smash is inspired by a concept made by Professorfandango on Deviantart, I was previously using Pacto as the forward throw. I decided to move it to up smash simply because I had no idea of what enemy I could have used for it and I had no time to think (it's rushed as I said). Now I have no idea what to use for the throw, by the way.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's a laser and it was intended to be the final smash!
As I said in my former moveset concept, I would have prefered the final smash to be something like an huge drawing of a boss or something, but since she can already draw bosses in her regular moveset, it wouldn't feel special anymore... also the moveset is about Adeleine & Ribbon, and Ribbon is actually used only in a couple of moves... so I tried to involve her more.

That final smash would be called something like "Purifying Light", and the description would be something akin to this:
"The Crystal is a legendary artifact from Ripple Star. It's said to have the power to purify people from darkness, and because of this, some dark beings tried to get rid of it in the past. After a long time of study and training, Ribbon learned to control the light of the crystal, so she can use it to defend her queen and her planet: It works, it purifies people from darkness! There is only a side effect though, it leaves the target completely exhausted."

It would work similar to some other existing final smashes, with the difference that instead of knocking the opponent back, it would leave the opponent in broken shield status (draining something like 300% from their health).
In order to balace it so it would be hard for other players to steal the kill, after the laser ends hitting the target, a circular wave of light would spread from the target opponent, knocking back every other player on its way (except the target itself and Adeleine).
Strategically, it's better to stay as close as possible to the target, though you can also try to hit an opponent who is outside the stage and who is trying to recover (the stunned opponent would simply fall into the pit in an helpless status).

Sorry for the emulator bar below but those are the best pictures I could find on Internet

EDIT: By the way, I remembered what enemy was supposed to be her up smash instead of Pacto! Those rocket guys from Kirby 64! (you can meet them at the beginning of the Dedede's castle level)

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I think the Isabelle reveal is somewhat good for Ado honestly. Before Isabelle, people were pretty certain about which characters would make it in. Namely Skull Kid, Geno, Incineroar, etc. because of various factors like leaks, ballot being a factor, and popularity being more relevant, and "hints". You see the problem? The unpredictability and surprise was gone, people were too sure of themselves. Now, Isabelle herself was in leaks and there were people expecting her, yes, but the key thing is, most were expecting her as an echo, not because it'd make sense, but because it'd make it an easier pill to swallow as a lot didn't want her playable at all(as evidenced by the inevitable reaction to her).

So basically, Isabelle being unique(I'm not entirely convinced she's even a "semi-clone" as most say, people are probably still coping) has defied the general Smash fanbases' wants and expectations. And that's a good thing for Adeleine, who likewise does not have as much vocal support than other characters. And is generally not considered by most in the Smash fanbase. If Ultimate was just catering to the fanbase and went with all the popular picks supported in forums and all(so if every character was like K Rool and Ridley), Adeleine wouldn't have a chance, but now, I'm glad the game is spicing things up a bit, she can be playable.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr . You put more thought into various Adeleine movesets than anyone I've ever known. You are truly an inspiration.
(.^ ^.)

Kirbyfan391 Kirbyfan391 . Yes Isabelle's inclusion as a unique has given me much hope for characters like Lip and Adeleine~
I have a much detailed post about it on page 47 of the Lip support thread. In it I explain all the variables of how like she had little to no presence in the 2015 Smash ballot (based on the google doc tallying the results of consolidation polls in that year) and yet she still made it in! I truly believe anyone can make it into this game now, as Isabelle proves popularity in the ballot isn't everything Sakurai is looking at when it comes to putting new characters into Smash. :b:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Add me to the list of supporters pls. This may go against my principle of not supporting characters I've never played the game they're in or currently follow their series, but I thought it would be nice to support the underdog character, the original 4th member of the Kirby series. I thought she would've been a cool addition since Brawl. And I guess if I wanted to narrativize a bit, ever since I saw this BitF comic.

2013-05-17-488-AdeleineforSmashBros.jpg

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Here's something...

*video*

It's very strange, but it is something. It's an original work with Adeleine and Ribbon involved, and it's gained over a 100,000 views so that's amazing!
What?!? What was that... It's cool but it's also so weird.... I'm not sure if it's serious or if it's a meme video, probably both things. Anyway it's nice to see that Adeleine is getting some attentions from the fanbase, even if it's a video about Ridley trying to kill Kirby characters and other awkward stuff lol.

Anyway, it looks like the Ken screenshot is most likely real, so it's possible that the vergeben leak is real as well.
There are only a couple of details that seem strange in that screenshot, like the characters icons (Pacman's hand doesn't come out from the icon's square, Pichu's ear is cut), everything else fits. I even compared the fonts of the names/numbers etc. with the ones from the actual game and they match perfectly, it's most likely real.
We don't know if the characters from vergeben are the only ones who will be added or if there will be more, but there is a chance that they will add more through DLC.
If the box theory is correct, we're probably getting only Ken and Incineroar; there are insistent rumors of Steve from Minecraft, and a Square Enix character too (probably Geno), so I assume that, if the leak is true and also the box theory, they're already planning DLCs, and Geno/Steve might be the first ones.

I'm ok with this situation honestly, and I feel positive for Adeleine too... I have the feeling that she will be represented somehow, and eventually become playable some day... it only requires some time.
Compared to the Smash 4 speculation, now Adeleine is respected and accepted a lot more by the Smash community; when people make character lists, she often pops out, she gets mentioned as one of the possible characters, etc... there's more support too! (we're almost at 50 supporters and I didn't include the ones from the old threads).
Things are getting better... I'm not sure if Adeleine is ready for Smash yet, but she's going through the right route.
Now let's hope she will appear in the next Kirby games, if she will, the road to Smash is only a natural consequence.
I feel a bit sad for Lip... though I'm sure this is not the end, other characters will probably be added as DLCs... I think this is only the beginning.
The only thing we can do is support. Adeleine was a dead character, with the support of the fans she managed to come back as a playable character in the most recent Kirby game, after 18 years of nothing, and HAL recognized the fanbase; so, everything is possible!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Adeline and Ribbon acting as a duo character similar to Rosaluma would be one of the best additions to Smash they could make. I really hope they get in and they have my full support!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Adeline and Ribbon acting as a duo character similar to Rosaluma would be one of the best additions to Smash they could make. I really hope they get in and they have my full support!
Yeah, I was against the idea of Adeleine sharing the spotlight with Ribbon, but after seeing the potential that this duo can bring to the moveset, now I changed my mind and would actually prefer "Adeleine & Ribbon" to be a duo.

Anyway, in my opinion, Adeleine should be the next Kirby newcomer because:

-She appeared in the most recent game as a playable character, in total she appeared with a major role in 3 games now, without counting all the portings and the eventual N64 mini that seems to be on the way.

-She represents Kirby's level design and gameplay: she can summon iconic enemies such as Waddle Dee, Bronto Burt, Bouncy, Pacto, etc. and she can summon iconic and well known bosses as well, such as Whispy, Kracko, Ice Dragon and more. Even if Adeleine herself is not the most popular character in the series, her summons are very popular and recognizable, way more than any other side character in competition with her as the next Kirby rep.

-Kirby 64 is a classic and a popular game, many people know it and it has been the first game in the series with polygonal models instead of sprites.

-She's representative of the whole Dark Matter Trilogy, only Dark Matter himself would do a better job at representing that sub-series, and Dark Matter can still appear through her moveset anyway. She has been associated with the art style of Kirby's Dream Land 3 and she can summon Waiu, a Dream Land 2 miniboss, so she's basically the mascotte of the Shimomura directed games.

-She represents one of the recurring elements of the Kirby series: Art comes to life. Not just that, she also represents the concept of summoner bosses, a concept that has been around from before Adeleine even existed: a couple of example are Paint Roller and Computer Virus. Additionally, she represents the "Curse" spin-offs since she's based on the theme as those games (Elline's design is based on Adeleine and Ribbon, even the name, and Claycia rages the same way as Adeleine during her bossfight); and obviously the Paint/Artist ability. There are more recent summoner bosses too, such as Wiz and Holo Defense API (the latter being an Adeleine rip-off completely).

-Adeleine and Ribbon are the first recurring humanoid/fairy characters. there are a lot of them in recent games, including Susie, the Mage Generals and the People of the sky. Adeleine & Ribbon is where all of this has started.

So, as you can see, Adeleine is not just a random character from a game, she represent a big slice of the Kirby series as a whole; she totally deserves being in Smash for her representative value and historical relevance.

There is more stuff I would talk about, but the post is long already, I'll continue in a future post eventually.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
October is getting close... I wonder if later on after Ultimate is released, and there are still no new Kirby characters to be playable- Could Nintendo convince players to buy a DLC pack of Bandana Dee/Marx/Adeleine all together?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
October is getting close... I wonder if later on after Ultimate is released, and there are still no new Kirby characters to be playable- Could Nintendo convince players to buy a DLC pack of Bandana Dee/Marx/Adeleine all together?
I know that many of you are also fans of Bandana Waddle Dee, but I dislike him, I hope you can accept my opinion about him (I'm not sure if you support Bandana Dee or not, but anyway).

I'm very skeptical about Bandana Dee getting in the game, and IMO the fact that so many people ask for Bandana Dee may be the reason why we probably won't get any Kirby newcomer at all once again.
I can't see Sakurai putting that character as playable, and at the same time, they will probably avoid putting any other Kirby character in the game to avoid backlash when the character is announced and it's not what people expected.

I'm annoyed by this Bandana Dee thing and I think that it's only negative for Kirby's representation in Smash, I wish people would just stop.
If Bandana Dee was really a viable option, he would have been an newcomer in Smash 4 already; he didn't even get a trophy, Magolor and Galacta Knight did.

Anyway, I thought about the chance of getting character packs too, but I'm not sure about who would end in a Kirby pack.
The popularity of Marx is very recent, it comes from his gameplay in Star Allies, so I can't see him in the base roster... as DLC maybe, but since we are talking about DLCs, yeah, it's a possibility.
Magolor is also big, he was high in the Ballot polls and still very requested in Japan, so, I think it's possible that the pack would be Marx, Magolor and Adeleine instead.
Anyway, things may change after the release of the final wave of Dream Friends... who knows, maybe Taranza has an awesome gameplay and people start supporitng him... that or Susie; all this without even considering the possible Metaknight echoes.
Too bad that Dark Matter doesn't have enough support, he would be interesting too and has some history in the franchise.

So far, I'm convinced that we won't get anyone and that's partially due to most people asking for an unrealistic option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is more stuff I would talk about, but the post is long already, I'll continue in a future post eventually.

now, it's conspiracy theories time
Take all this with a grain of salt, I think it's unlikely and it's just some speculation for fun. I mean, I think we won't get any Kirby newcomer, but if we will, then there is a possibility that this theory may be a hint of who it will be, but it's very unlikely.

I'd call this the Gamexplain theory.

Some days ago I was reading the leak thread here on Smashboards.
I noticed something... some users were claiming that there is a guy who leaks stuff at Gamexplain.

Y'know... I'm curious if Jon is actually a leaker pretending to make predictions or if he is just really, really analytic and lucky. On an unrelated note, he has an amazing voice.
Yeah that's what I've been thinking.

Even his FF predictions weren't 100% (he had mentioned games like My Life As A King/Darklord, which never happened,) so it's very likely he's been mixing in actual predictions with leaks.

He also addressed the suspicions on their podcast and predictably it all amounted to "It was a guess."
He guessed a Kirby's Epic Yarn remake. Of all games to remake, in what world would you guess that one?

He's most likely trying to downplay his predictions, not wanting to attract attention to it.
He is.

Back when Ridley wasn't revealed, yet, he posted on Restera "this speculation is just too big" on March 7th (literally the day before Smash Ultimate was formally announced). When Gamexplain did their "the case for Ridley in Smash" video he was notably on the side that was advocating for Ridley's inclusion. When Gamexplain did a E3 video prediction discussion, he notably "predicts" Simon Belmont:

Not to mention all of the things Jonneh predicted for the September 13th that ended up beign true (such as old-school FF games coming to the Switch, Epic Yarn for 3DS and Isabelle NOT beign an echo, Etc).

Also, the idea of someone putting their leaks as "predictions" is nothing new. In fact, that's how the Gematsu Leak started.

Now, im sure that there are some things that Jon "predicted" that he wasn't exactly super accuarate, but that's probably why he hides his leaks as "predictions", that way people will not harass him for more info and will not attack him if the info turns out to be fake.
I'm gonna post this video again which I found a bit interesting:

It's rather simple and boring, as he states the newcomers many of us are expecting: Incineroar and Ken. However, he also stated Isabelle, and even went further to state that she would be the next reveal. This video was posted in August, so he was correct.

He also talks about the hidden mode, stating it is Subspace-esque. It would feature unplayable characters and bosses, one of them being Marx.
He predicted Final Fantasy VII, IX, and X & X2 on switch as well as Isabelle as a semi-clone
lots of people (including myself) think that he's a leaker in disguise...
So now he's predicting that Shadow is a semi-clone

While not a direct leak, Jon from GX has been surprisingly accurate in it's predictions.

Lowkey predicting Ridley the day before Ultimate's reveal, "predicting" Epic Yarn 3ds, and everyone Final Fantasy game in the direct, and a few other things.

His predictions are too on the nose. Not to mention that before E3 Daisy was his joke prediction and he "predicted" Simon.
I think it has to do with him working in gaming journalism with a site that regularly gets Nintendo freebies and invites. If he came out as a leaker, his career as a journalist is canned and GameXplain likely gets nuked as well.
Jon Cartwright (the GameXplain guy who "predicted" the Epic Yarn 3DS port, all the Final Fantasy games for Switch, and unique Isabelle very shortly before the direct), has made an interesting statement about Shadow, could be worth looking out for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8F2X2OQeNo&t=1851
Could someone make a list of everything that Jon from Gamexplain had predicted and is currently predicting right now?

It would be a nice reference to use, as someone that did not pay much attention to Jon until now.

I don't follow Gamexplain and I don't know anything about this guy, but I know for sure that a Gamexplain video predicted Adeleine being playable in Kirby Star Allies, so I believe that those rumors are true.

(also I already noticed this before reading those posts, and in this very thread, there are old posts where I say that I'm convinced that Gamexplain knew something and made the Adeleine video because Adeleine was going to be playable, before Adeleine was actually announced).

At the end of this video:
they claims that the Artist ability is the proof that Adeleine has not been forgotten, and that she one day could come back, who knows, maybe right in Kirby Star Allies.

It came out suspiciously close to the release of the game and BEFORE the Dream Friends feature was even announced; additionally, the "missing in action" series counts only a few videos, it almost feels like it was started with the main purpose of leaking that information and the other videos are there to hide the fact that it's a leak.

They made another suspicious video...

At about 10:08 of the video, they say something about Kirby's friends, and during that section of the video, instead of showing several friends, they only show Adeleine. It also states false informations (Kirby never fought Bandana Dee, not true), but that's not the point.
That Adeleine cameo in the video, selected instead of any other characters, looks really like a sort of subliminal message... an hidden leak?
Who knows.
(probably it means nothing, but they also use an easel to show the pictures in the whole "the case of" series).
At the end of the video, they say that Bandana Dee should not be in Smash because even if he would work moveset-wise, he is not influential enough as a character (I'm not completely sure what they mean with this but I can see kinda).
There is only one other video of that series, and it's about Captain Toad. They said that Captain Toad is worth being in Smash instead, and that partially is due to him having a game where he is protagonist (also because of some unique moveset ideas that I'm sure I have seen here on Smashboards way before that video even existed, and other stuff).
EDIT: actually they made another video for Ridley, it's mentioned in one of the quoted posts in the spoiler, and a part of the Ridley video still implies that Bandana Dee does not deserve to be in Smash... the Ridley video was another of those predictions apparently.

Now, it may or may not be true, we know that Captain Toad is almost completely deconfirmed already.
According to what other users said, the guy at Gamexplain who leaks stuff, mixes leaks with fake informations/actual predictions and uses the excuse that they are only lucky guesses. If this whole thing is a leak, there should be a fake part into this... and since Captain Toad seems to be deconfirmed, that video about Captain Toad may be the fake "prediction" created to make the leak seem more like a guess.
There is a chance that the Bandana Dee video (and that part of the Ridley video) is trying to tell us something, probably he's not in Smash despite all the requests and the popularity.

I believe this, honestly.

If this is true, the biggest competition for Adeleine would automatically become Marx and Magolor, and they are way more "affordable" than Bandana Dee, popularity-wise.
Add the fact that Gamexplain also seems to have "hinted" that Marx could be a boss and not a newcomer...
Adeleine is not that unlikely, really... I'm still convinced that Magolor has a bigger chance though...
who knows, maybe they will put Magolor, Adeleine and a -knight echo in a DLC pack?
I think we will get nobody from Kirby, but if we will, Adeleine, Magolor and a Metaknight echo are the most likely choices, at least according to this theory.

EDIT: I forgot that there are some theories about the official Kirby Twitter page too, I may talk about them in a future post as well if you want...
They are less credible than this one, they are only vague hints without much evidence, but it's still something; speculation, right?
(I already mentioned the Team Kirby Clash passwords in a previous post, the October password will either confirm or debunk this... there is also something else related to the E3 and the Kirby Cafe, but it's complex to explain).

Last edited:
Top Bottom