• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just saw! Adeleine and Ribbon. Oh, so Ribbon did get something. That's so cool.

Especially now that I realize that Adeleine can't fly, lol.

Troykv

Smash Master
I just saw! Adeleine and Ribbon. Oh, so Ribbon did get something. That's so cool.

Especially now that I realize that Adeleine can't fly, lol.
Yeah; Ribbon is here mostly to help with the flying stuff...

BTW...

Ado is back!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
lmao why did no one warn me of that? I've been looking like a fool with broken images in the OP
Also I know this might be kind of hard to do, but can you make a supporter list as well? Maybe just to show people truly how many people support the character.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

EVERYONE IS HERE!

That’s right, every Kirby character from the series’ history is joining the adventure!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

EVERYONE IS HERE!

That’s right, every Kirby character from the series’ history is joining the adventure!
We have no proof that any characters from the Yarn world are showing up

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Took them long time enough- but my goodness, I never expected them to bring Ribbon back as well!! I feel like Star Allies is bit feeling more and more an interesting investment when these come around.

On that end, THESE GALS LOOK SO DARN ADORABLE. (No pun intended)

I think HAL's done impeccable job of bringing these two back, they look just so irresistible and fun.

Also, this caught my eye:

She's gotten even better.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, all of this Kirby Dream Friend stuff combined with Smash speculation made me realize how much I want a Kirby Fighting Game. And Kirby Battle Royal does not count.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
sadly I think that spin-off characters won't make it into the game... though it would be cool if they would release a 4th wave with Gryll, Prince Fluff and Claycia & Elline, even if Claycia & Elline would end to be a bit too much similar in concept to Adeleine & Ribbon.

On a side note, it appears that Adeleine can ride some of her summons... for example it seems she can ride a Waiu drawing. I hope she will be able to ride Ice Dragon and maybe Dark Matter or Kracko too!

EDIT: Deleted the image since it was already posted while I was typing. Anyway, I got ninja'd (lol so funny -.-)

I noticed just now that they used Daroach as the icon of the wave 2, Daroach and not Adeleine... please HAL don't start it again... Daroach is cool and all but you should learn from all the hype Adeleine has generated in the fandom in this couple of months.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they release a 4th wave I want Galacta Knight

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I noticed just now that they used Daroach as the icon of the wave 2, Daroach and not Adeleine... please HAL don't start it again... Daroach is cool and all but you should learn from all the hype Adeleine has generated in the fandom in this couple of months.
Dude, I'm pretty sure it's just happening because Daroach was the first one announced for the pack, it's ok to chill

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I'll admit the Ribbon integration was unexpected! But glad she's back as well.

And God do they look amazing! It's like the box art designs come to life!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
2018: The Year of ALL THE WARRIORS

(haven't played Kirby 64 yet so I have little idea as to who Adeleine is or why people like her, but I'm happy for the people who were wanting her!)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
sadly I think that spin-off characters won't make it into the game... though it would be cool if they would release a 4th wave with Gryll, Prince Fluff and Claycia & Elline, even if Claycia & Elline would end to be a bit too much similar in concept to Adeleine & Ribbon.

On a side note, it appears that Adeleine can ride some of her summons... for example it seems she can ride a Waiu drawing. I hope she will be able to ride Ice Dragon and maybe Dark Matter or Kracko too!

EDIT: Deleted the image since it was already posted while I was typing. Anyway, I got ninja'd (lol so funny -.-)

Daroach makes way more sense to headline the series as he is way more prominent then the other two. He's a supporting character in Mass Attack, Shows up in special 20th anniversary artwork (of which only Animal Friends and SuperStar characters appear in) a keychain in Triple Deluxe, two stickers in Planet Robobot (one of which was a special doodle sticker) and a hat in Battle Royale.

This is also a very special appearance for him because it marks the first time he's appeared with a full 3D Model. And they're going all out with his attacks, Ice Beam, Bomb pillar, Triple Star, Animal Attacks EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THE SQUEAKS! Now that they have 3D models, I expect to see him a lot more often. It's a big highlight for the character!

Helps his design has very wide appeal similar to Marx. He clearly has a cool design, but it's not over the top and edgy like Dark Meta Knight, in fact as a mouse, it's easy to find him cute. He also has an awesome theme making him very marketable.

And then there's his role in Squeak Squad. While Dark Meta Knight and Adeleine play notable roles in their games. Daroach is essentially the MASCOT of Squeak Squad, not only is he featured on the cover and a lot of artwork. He's even the games LOGO.

Basically, being the front-runner of the wave 2 should have been expected

Also, he's a singular character, he fits nice and easily on the link and tab, Adeleine & Ribbon would be a harder fit.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I don't post here often, but I had to come say how glad I was to see Adeleine this morning! I saw the leak a while back, but after they waited so long to make the reveal, I couldn't help but get worried that they were somehow going to cut Adeleine or switch her out for someone else. Illogical, I know, but after being disappointed by her absense for so long, it was difficult to believe her return would really happen.
But now it's a new day, and Adeleine is here! She looks great, and the integration of Ribbon is a nice surprise without stealing the spotlight. Adeleine's chances for Smash remain very low for now, but getting back into her own series is a big step in the right direction. The "no humanoid character" rule is broken!

D

Deleted member

It's great to see Adeleine and Ribbon again. They're the highlight of this whole wave for me - I find DMK to be a pretty boring choice despite me liking Amazing Mirror a lot tho I liek that he's based off Mirror, while Daroach didn't really click with me when I played Squeak Squad, a game that I generally consider to be one of the weakest in the series.
I'll be getting a Switch with KSA soon, and I'm certainly looking forward to playing as them!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
it's weird seeing adeleine with a nose, huh
Indeed, she looks nice and all, but I think without a nose (like she was before) she would have felt more natural for the Kirby series... but she's fine anyway, it's not the first character to have human-like details (look at Bonkers for example, still being a monkey, he has Popeye human-like arms and wears pants with a belt).

Daroach makes way more sense to headline the series as he is way more prominent then the other two. He's a supporting character in Mass Attack, Shows up in special 20th anniversary artwork (of which only Animal Friends and SuperStar characters appear in) a keychain in Triple Deluxe, two stickers in Planet Robobot (one of which was a special doodle sticker) and a hat in Battle Royale.

This is also a very special appearance for him because it marks the first time he's appeared with a full 3D Model. And they're going all out with his attacks, Ice Beam, Bomb pillar, Triple Star, Animal Attacks EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THE SQUEAKS! Now that they have 3D models, I expect to see him a lot more often. It's a big highlight for the character!

Helps his design has very wide appeal similar to Marx. He clearly has a cool design, but it's not over the top and edgy like Dark Meta Knight, in fact as a mouse, it's easy to find him cute. He also has an awesome theme making him very marketable.

And then there's his role in Squeak Squad. While Dark Meta Knight and Adeleine play notable roles in their games. Daroach is essentially the MASCOT of Squeak Squad, not only is he featured on the cover and a lot of artwork. He's even the games LOGO.

Basically, being the front-runner of the wave 2 should have been expected

Also, he's a singular character, he fits nice and easily on the link and tab, Adeleine & Ribbon would be a harder fit.
That's very debatable, both characters were very underused until the implementation of the Dream Friends, and the only point that can be used to compare the relevance of the two characters is the amount of cameos.
Adeleine appeared in 2 keychains and 1 Robobot sticker, in the 25th anniversary artworks appeared multiple times where Daroach appeared only once, and in the 25th anniversary wallpaper (the one that also became a 3DS theme) Adeleine appears and not Daroach.
In addition, Kirby 64 is a way bigger game than Squeak Squad, more important in the series and more popular; and she also had a role in Kirby's Dream Land 3, even if her design was changed.

See, depending on how you watch it, one character is more important than the other, but really, they are in a very similar situation.
Anyway, I don't want to start a character fight, I like Daroach too, but as you said, Daroach alredy recived an hat in Battle Royale, and anyway his reveal didn't make much noise at all, while the announcement of Adeleine made Kirby's Japanese twitter explode.
There is clearly a lot more hype around Adeleine's comeback after 18 years, than the return of Daroach, and I think it would have made more sense to take Adeleine as the front-runner.

You may be right about the fact that Adeleine & Ribbon are two characters and maybe Daroach just fits better in the site's layout (especially when you zoom out the artwork, Ribbon may be hard to see because she's tiny), that's the best explanation I can think of... or maybe they already planned Daroach to be the front-runner way before, and the Adeleine hype was unexpected, so they didn't know at the time when they made the icon... who knows.

I even suspect that Ribbon was not planned to be with Adeleine and they added her last minute because some people complained about it on Twitter, it may even be the reason of the delay (maybe the Squeaks too).

Last edited:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
OMFG!
WE DID IT!!!
SHE ARRIVED BACK TO US FOR ALL THESE YEARS!!
AND SHE BROUGHT RIBBON WITH HER TOO, TO BOOT!!!
I'm way too excited about this.
But who cares am I right?
I literary woke up to this news. Boy, what a thing to wake up to.
I was concerned about her looking bland or something, but they crafted her model and her animations just perfectly, she is IMO the best looking character of the set, and by far!
I was also concerned about Ribbon stealing her spotlight, though the way how they made the character, Adeleine is still the leader and Ribbon the supporter, that works just fine!
They did an awesome work! I like the small redesigned details, it all works perfectly, and...

BATAMON.

I can't speak anymore... just add her in Smash for the sake of the world, please.
You were certainly right about Batamon being painted by Adeleine.
I just realized this gives Ado more of a chance to be in Smash now.

Troykv

Smash Master
Indeed, she looks nice and all, but I think without a nose (like she was before) she would have felt more natural for the Kirby series... but she's fine anyway, it's not the first character to have human-like details (look at Bonkers for example, still being a monkey, he has Popeye human-like arms and wears pants with a belt).

That's very debatable, both characters were very underused until the implementation of the Dream Friends, and the only point that can be used to compare the relevance of the two characters is the amount of cameos.
Adeleine appeared in 2 keychains and 1 Robobot sticker, in the 25th anniversary artworks appeared multiple times where Daroach appeared only once, and in the 25th anniversary wallpaper (the one that also became a 3DS theme) Adeleine appears and not Daroach.
In addition, Kirby 64 is a way bigger game than Squeak Squad, more important in the series and more popular; and she also had a role in Kirby's Dream Land 3, even if her design was changed.

See, depending on how you watch it, one character is more important than the other, but really, they are in a very similar situation.
Anyway, I don't want to start a character fight, I like Daroach too, but as you said, Daroach alredy recived an hat in Battle Royale, and anyway his reveal didn't make much noise at all, while the announcement of Adeleine made Kirby's Japanese twitter explode.
There is clearly a lot more hype around Adeleine's comeback after 18 years, than the return of Daroach, and I think it would have made more sense to take Adeleine as the front-runner.

You may be right about the fact that Adeleine & Ribbon are two characters and maybe Daroach just fits better in the site's layout (especially when you zoom out the artwork, Ribbon may be hard to see because she's tiny), that's the best explanation I can think of... or maybe they already planned Daroach to be the front-runner way before, and the Adeleine hype was unexpected, so they didn't know at the time when they made the icon... who knows.

I even suspect that Ribbon was not planned to be with Adeleine and they added her last minute because some people complained about it on Twitter, it may even be the reason of the delay (maybe the Squeaks too).
I guess the fact this is Daroach's first true real 3D Appearance it should make it a bit more special...

Despite Adeleine fall from the spotlight happened before and waited a lot more too return.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Kirby 64 was one of my favorite Kirby games and wished that they had kept the beta gameplay feature where Adeline, Waddle Dee, and Dedede were fully playable. It'd be nice to see here playable in Smash, but I'm not sure if it would happen. I do see Ribnon helping with Adeline's recovery in Smash also. There could even do an event match with her and Inkling.

What would be the odds of both her and Bandana Dee getting in?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
While I do think Adeleine would be an amazing addition in Smash, my mind isn't there quite yet. I'm just happy she is finally back.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We have no proof that any characters from the Yarn world are showing up
In fairness, that wasn't meant to be a Kirby game to start with.

While I do think Adeleine would be an amazing addition in Smash, my mind isn't there quite yet. I'm just happy she is finally back.
Same. It's going to be a hard, long journey for her to even get there, and Bandana Dee is the first potential step that must be taken.

In the meantime, I find the fact that Addy needs Ribbon to fly amusing (though not as hilarious as how BWD flies).

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The best thing about Dream Allies is how much love goes into the characters and how they stay relatively true to the original designs from their original appearances

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The best thing about Dream Allies is how much love goes into the characters and how they stay relatively true to the original designs from their original appearances
Speaking of which, Adeleine has a small but cute design change. She has a strand of hair that's closer to the center of her forehead , rather than just it combed side to side. You can see it in my avatar.

I like it.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Adeline is precious sunshine cinnamon role this next 3 weeks are gonna be a pain in the ass to wait for

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Speaking of which, Adeleine has a small but cute design change. She has a strand of hair that's closer to the center of her forehead , rather than just it combed side to side. You can see it in my avatar.

I like it.
It's so weird, but the small (yet unbearably adorable) redesign Ado got makes her seem all the more...feminine, doesn't it? Not that she wasn't before, but small details like her hair not being completely parted to the sides and her slightly more visible nose just seem to really sell things, you know?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I like it.
She also has a nose now, so there is that.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
On the subject of Adeleine in Smash, I have made a comment on DeviantArt that I'd like to share here:

I want Adeleine in Smash since Brawl, and I hope she will make it in Ultimate, standard roster or DLC, as long as she will become a fighter.
I think that with the inclusion of Ribbon, not only her moveset would be unique, but also very varied.

She has potential of becoming a very interesting and unique Smash fighter, with a moves based on:

-Painting (like Inkling, splatting paint on enemies to weaken them)
-Melee (like a sword fighter but using the paintbrush instead of a sword)
-summoning (creating minions that fight on their onw, then explode in a bubble of paint; creating big enemies and bosses that she can ride to temporarily enhance her moves)
-shooting lasers (something that the Crystal from Ripple Star is shown to be able to do in a cutscene of Kirby 64)
-Ramming on enemies aboard the crystal (the crystal can break into shards if you overuse it)
-crystal gun (the final weapon used against Zero2 in Kirby 64)

And she is also interesting because through her artistic skills, could make a lot of cameos and easter eggs (they may even give her a taunt where she makes a protrait of her opponent and it's different depending on the character she's fighting against).

If paired with Ribbon, she's the most complete character among all the Dream Friends (potentially, even compared to the unannounced ones), and I think she even has more moveset potential than the 3 Kirby characters who are already in the game as fighters, even Kirby himself.
It would be a shame to limit her to just assist trophy status, a character with such a huge potential for a creative and unique moveset deserves a spot in the roster.
Not to mention that she became a fan favorite, people made the Japanese Twitter page of Kirby explode with Adeleine posts, everyone in the fandom is excited about her return...
I wouldn't even say she's a minor character, she has been in 3 games, had a big role in Kirby's Dream Land 3 (getting all the focus during the credits cutscene and being the reference/representative of the artistic direction of the whole game), is a main character in Kirby 64, and a playable character in Star Allies, that happens to be the most recent game up to date.
As a pair with Ribbon, the two gain more personality and iconicity; not that they were bland if taken alone, but together they definitely stand out a lot more.
EDIT: I even forgot that she can also create healing items, and if they want to expand the concept of bringing art to life to the whole series instead of just Adelenie, they can implement stuff from other games such as Canvas/Rainbow Curse in her moveset (the rainbow rope or the Power Paintbrush for example)... but I think it's not even needed, there is already enough material to craft a fighter from right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Adeleine and Ribbon's guard animation is hiding behind a painting.
That's neat.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Been some new gameplay of Adeline revealed on the Kirby twitter. Her flail move does not backfire on her, so that is good.
https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP/status/1016517521732616194
It's hard to say for certain if Adeleine flailing move does damage or not, but without the damage noise I think she's just bumped out of the way. I almost want her to receive minimal damage from that attack, but in the end I don't.

That canvas guard reminds me of Archer's Camouflage, which always reminded me of Adeleine's drawings! Everything came full circle!

In fact, there are a handful of cool references here! In addition to Adeleine hiding behind the exact same spot on the easel, her drawing is actually that of World 1-1 in 64!

I've also heard that Adeleine and Ribbon don't have as much health as the other characters, but I can't find the article that says this. Maybe they're difficult to use but are super powerful?

I mean, it's all icing on the cake for me. They're really going all in on these particular Dream Friends, which is something I've genuinely dreamed of, but never fully expected!

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I had to make something to rejoice in Addy's playable debut. Celebratory image/comic incoming...!

Last edited:
Top Bottom