• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Following the pattern, today they should have teased the character on Twitter, instead, they published a development artwork.
They are trolling us :054:

Anyway, they confirmed that there are 3 characters in the second DLC, so Adeleine is definitely there, they are just keeping her secret.
At this point, they will probably reveal her at E3... that's very odd and suspicious.

Why are they doing this? I don't really know what to think.
Are they planning something more for her? Are they modifying the character to meet the fan's expectations when they realized that there is high demand for Adeleine? Or they just decided to take Ribbon instead and to continue the 18 years long curse that haunted the character and her fans?
Such a delay only means they are doing something unexpected with the character (extra work, modifying stuff), or they are planning some surprise.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Following the pattern, today they should have teased the character on Twitter, instead, they published a development artwork.
They are trolling us :054:

Anyway, they confirmed that there are 3 characters in the second DLC, so Adeleine is definitely there, they are just keeping her secret.
At this point, they will probably reveal her at E3... that's very odd and suspicious.

Why are they doing this? I don't really know what to think.
Are they planning something more for her? Are they modifying the character to meet the fan's expectations when they realized that there is high demand for Adeleine? Or they just decided to take Ribbon instead and to continue the 18 years long curse that haunted the character and her fans?
Such a delay only means they are doing something unexpected with the character (extra work, modifying stuff), or they are planning some surprise.
I think this change of the schendule means what I was hoping...

Adeleine will be revealed in the E3/Treehouse.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm shaking, after the twitter thing with them not following the pattern that has come with the previous teases and reveals, I'm wondering why would they do this and if she IS at E3, they can't just reveal her and then thats just it. There needs to be a REASON they would jump off the pattern like this. and if she IS at E3 they REALLY need a reason for that.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Perhaps, they want to do an “Available immediately after this presentation” thing for that DLC at E3, so, having everything in the DLC revealed already beforehand would make that announcement less hype.

Or, the Kirby twitter just really wanted to show off that piece of concept art and it means nothing really, we’ll have to wait and find out.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I'm praying right now guys. I hope Adeleine's revealed in this E3 as a dream friend. And if they reveal her as a fighter in Smash I'm gonna scream and cry tears of joy.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What's going on...? Now that everything was so close, the leak was confirmed to be true (the most unlikely Dream Friend has been announced, Dark Metaknight), and all... what's up all of a sudden? No signs of Adeleine, both at the E3 presentation and on Twitter.

Anyway, I like what they have done with the new Smash, it's basically Smash 4 with some gameplay improvements that make the game more competitive (probably); I also like that all the veterans are back, I prefer Young Link over the other 2 Links in the game so I can finally use him again.
Though, Sakurai said that they won't add many new character this time, because the focus is on bringing back everyone... so we're lucky if we get Adeleine as an assist trophy or referenced in some other ways, I don't expect her to become a newcomer... but who knows. Assist trophy would be nice enough anyway, at least it's something.

I hope Adeleine as Dream Friend will be announced during the Treehouse, or whenever they will announce the specific release date for the DLC2 (currently it's "this summer").
I mean, probably she will be included in DLC2 and announced later as a surprise; what's annoying is that we are still left in eternal waiting with a big nothing in hand, as always... I'm wasting so much time and patience on this, I'm starting to get sick of this.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Same. I was p
What's going on...? Now that everything was so close, the leak was confirmed to be true (the most unlikely Dream Friend has been announced, Dark Metaknight), and all... what's up all of a sudden? No signs of Adeleine, both at the E3 presentation and on Twitter.

Anyway, I like what they have done with the new Smash, it's basically Smash 4 with some gameplay improvements that make the game more competitive (probably); I also like that all the veterans are back, I prefer Young Link over the other 2 Links in the game so I can finally use him again.
Though, Sakurai said that they won't add many new character this time, because the focus is on bringing back everyone... so we're lucky if we get Adeleine as an assist trophy or referenced in some other ways, I don't expect her to become a newcomer... but who knows. Assist trophy would be nice enough anyway, at least it's something.

I hope Adeleine as Dream Friend will be announced during the Treehouse, or whenever they will announce the specific release date for the DLC2 (currently it's "this summer").
I mean, probably she will be included in DLC2 and announced later as a surprise; what's annoying is that we are still left in eternal waiting with a big nothing in hand, as always... I'm wasting so much time and patience on this, I'm starting to get sick of this.
Same. I was pretty disappointed too with the whole presentation. Smash was the highlight but everything else was meh. Certainly not Nintendo's best E3. I'd say 2017 and 2014 were the best. When they were showing off Amiibo's in the Treehouse I noticed that they've hidden two Amiibo's. And on the new site, there are still two more slots left. Maybe we might still get an Adeleine reveal? I don't think we are just getting just three new characters though. There has to be at least some DLC.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Oh well... after all, I still think Adeleine is coming (in Star Allies at least).
Today, HAL released a concept art of the Artist ability, just when people continue asking for her. They're basically joking, they can't reveal her and they do what's in their power to tease the fans as much as possible.
They must announce the release date of the DLC, I doubt they will announce it on Twitter, they will probably do it in a Direct or something... I suppose they will announce the character the same day they will announce the release date.

(on a side note, a lot of Artist's concepts have the blue paintbrush like Adeleine's, confirming that she has been a big source of inspiration for that).

And there's another thing, Nintendo France said that at E3 Nintendo decided to show only the games that will be released in the next months, and that they will talk about the other games during the next events, such as Japan Expo (July), Gamescon (August), or the Tokyo Games Show (September).
(I have a source but it's in Italian language... maybe there's an international source in English too? sorry Source)
This means that, since the DLC will come out in summer, they will probably show it at Japan Expo in July, or in the very worst case, at Gamescon (but I doubt it).
The Japan Expo is in 3 weeks and a bunch of days from now, it's not that far, but waiting for almost another month still without any information is not something that excites me too much.
Maybe they will do a Direct during/close to the event like they have done with E3: I suspect they will release the DLC at the end of the presentation.

I would like to point that Adeleine is not the only thing that mysteriously disappeared from E3, there are bigger things, such as Metroid Prime 4, the new Yoshi game, the Luigi's Mansion remake and a lot of stuff that was announced previously and just disappeared. They're just saving stuff for the next events, they just can't talk about her because Nintendo probably forced them to keep her as a surprise (a release date only anounement is not hyping enough compared to a release date and surprise character announcement).

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh well... after all, I still think Adeleine is coming (in Star Allies at least).
Today, HAL released a concept art of the Artist ability, just when people continue asking for her. They're basically joking, they can't reveal her and they do what's in their power to tease the fans as much as possible.
They must announce the release date of the DLC, I doubt they will announce it on Twitter, they will probably do it in a Direct or something... I suppose they will announce the character the same day they will announce the release date.

(on a side note, a lot of Artist's concepts have the blue paintbrush like Adeleine's, confirming that she has been a big source of inspiration for that).

And there's another thing, Nintendo France said that at E3 Nintendo decided to show only the games that will be released in the next months, and that they will talk about the other games during the next events, such as Japan Expo (July), Gamescon (August), or the Tokyo Games Show (September).
(I have a source but it's in Italian language... maybe there's an international source in English too? sorry Source)
This means that, since the DLC will come out in summer, they will probably show it at Japan Expo in July, or in the very worst case, at Gamescon (but I doubt it).
The Japan Expo is in 3 weeks and a bunch of days from now, it's not that far, but waiting for almost another month still without any information is not something that excites me too much.
Maybe they will do a Direct during/close to the event like they have done with E3: I suspect they will release the DLC at the end of the presentation.

I would like to point that Adeleine is not the only thing that mysteriously disappeared from E3, there are bigger things, such as Metroid Prime 4, the new Yoshi game, the Luigi's Mansion remake and a lot of stuff that was announced previously and just disappeared. They're just saving stuff for the next events, they just can't talk about her because Nintendo probably forced them to keep her as a surprise (a release date only anounement is not hyping enough compared to a release date and surprise character announcement).
I have a similar idea; HAL is searching a good moment to reveal both Ado and the release date; and when that happens; they will start to show the pre-release trailers.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Personally, I've been of the belief that Adeleine wasn't unveiled at E3 because she'd have to compete with Smash Ultimate, and HAL probably thought there was NO way she was going to be able to beat Ultimate's reveal all by her lonesome.

Troykv

Smash Master
Personally, I've been of the belief that Adeleine wasn't unveiled at E3 because she'd have to compete with Smash Ultimate, and HAL probably thought there was NO way she was going to be able to beat Ultimate's reveal all by her lonesome.
Indeed, I think that was the reasons they decided to stop doing teaser during the pre-E3/E3 Week.

I think that also applies with Yoshi Flipping Island (?), that game would ended up being Ever Oasis' levels of forgotten.

Last edited:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
True. Adeleine's reveal would have been outshined by Smash Ultimate. The only way I could imagine it not being like if that, after that her Star Allies reveal, she also then would be revealed to be in Smash(Which didn't have that many chances of being that high)

D

Deleted member

GUYS ITS HAPPENING

Troykv

Smash Master
GUYS ITS HAPPENING
These lovely shadows, and their misleading forms xD (the Daroach one was even worse, I at least I feel we're seeing Adeleine since a overhead perpsective xD)

Finally... this Thursday we'll have an answer.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm super hyped! In my opinion, that's not even Adeleine! I mean, it's actually the teaser of Adeleine, but I think the silhouette is not the character but one of her drawings! And it looks to be exactly of the same shape as Batamon from Kirby's Dreamland 3!!! If Adeleine can summon a Batamon, that would be the most awesome thing in the universe!!!!! really, I can't wait!
(my theory that Adeleine was going to be announced close to the Japan Expo was right actually!)

FINALLY!!!

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm super hyped! In my opinion, that's not even Adeleine! I mean, it's actually the teaser of Adeleine, but I think the silhouette is not the character but one of her drawings! And it looks to be exactly of the same shape as Batamon from Kirby's Dreamland 3!!! If Adeleine can summon a Batamon, that would be the most awesome thing in the universe!!!!! really, I can't wait!
(my theory that Adeleine was going to be announced close to the Japan Expo was right actually!)

FINALLY!!!
In fact, when Adeleine it's properly revealed (this Thursday), the Japan Expo it will be already open.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I just came back and saw this.
It's probably one of Adeleine's drawings. That's what I'm theorising anyways.
BUT WHO CARES ABOUT THEORISING WE FINALLY GETTING ADELEINE BACK IN A GAME!!!
SHE SHOULD HAVE NEVER LEFT TO BEGIN WITH!!!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
In fact, when Adeleine it's properly revealed (this Thursday), the Japan Expo it will be already open.
That's right, though Kirby Star Allies is one of the playable games at Japan Expo, and if my theory is fully correct, the game will already include the new update and we might see her in action before. Probably they will also publish the revelation of the character 1 day before too (or even today/tomorrow depending on your time zone), it wouldn't make sense to show her when a lot of people already played as her and maybe some videos and photos already leaked.

Or maybe I'm wrong and the game at Japan Expo won't include the new DLC content, but that would be odd IMO, now that they have announced all of them.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
GUYS ITS HAPPENING
It's Ice Dragon from above!

No, but seriously, I swear that if HAL Labs trolls us, and it ISN'T her....

Say, guys. I'm curious...considering how Adeleine hasn't appeared in a Kirby game for 18 years, and Kirby's gained a MUCH bigger fanbase over the years. I've been wondering...how do you all think the Kirby fanbase of today will react to a HUMAN being revealed to exist in the Kirby franchise?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's Ice Dragon from above!

No, but seriously, I swear that if HAL Labs trolls us, and it ISN'T her....

Say, guys. I'm curious...considering how Adeleine hasn't appeared in a Kirby game for 18 years, and Kirby's gained a MUCH bigger fanbase over the years. I've been wondering...how do you all think the Kirby fanbase of today will react to a HUMAN being revealed to exist in the Kirby franchise?
Considering she's like 2 feet tall max I'm not sure she's human

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, remember how when Daroach was revealed for Star Allies, it was from above? Well, I just came across a Japanese fan 4koma today that has B.W.D, King Dedede, and Meta Knight also believe that it's Adeleine from BELOW and, well...

She ain't taking any of that mess.

Last edited:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Something pretty interesting that I noticed. Today on Smash Ultimate's blog they revealed 'a remixed City Trials' from Kirby Air Ride. Noticing how we just got some Kirby news for a new Dream Friend and THEN immediately they reveal some Kirby music for Smash.
Two things happening like that cannot be a coincidence.
Something big is happening.
Or I could just be looking into this this too much.
One of these options is more likely than the other.
Hey guys, remember how when Daroach was revealed for Star Allies, it was from above? Well, I just came across a Japanese fan 4koma today that has B.W.D, King Dedede, and Meta Knight also believe that it's Adeleine from BELOW and, well...

She ain't taking any of that mess.
Can someone translate this? I can't speak Japanese so yeah.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the comic has to do with the fact that if it's Adeleine from below you'd be looking up her skirt

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Something pretty interesting that I noticed. Today on Smash Ultimate's blog they revealed 'a remixed City Trials' from Kirby Air Ride. Noticing how we just got some Kirby news for a new Dream Friend and THEN immediately they reveal some Kirby music for Smash.
Two things happening like that cannot be a coincidence.
Something big is happening.
Or I could just be thinking about this too much.
One of these options is more likely than the other.
Ever since I saw that, I've thought the same thing. Bandana Dee/Adeleine dual Smash reveal, anyone?

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Ever since I saw that, I've thought the same thing. Bandana Dee/Adeleine dual Smash reveal, anyone?
Aw man just thinking about that makes me hyped up.
I know I shouldn't hype myself up like this but I do.
Could you imagine this though?
A triple reveal containing Bandana Dee, Adeleine and Marx?
Doesn't have much of a chance of happening I would absolutely love it if it was real.
(I thought of three characters since we have a theme of 3 Dream Friends being revealed in each wave)

D

Deleted member

If anything, it's just gonna be Bandana Dee.
I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I think Adeleine's chances are, for a lack of a better term, extremely slim.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ado is a mini person of 50 cm... that is adorable! Its like a little cute plush teddy! :love:
Welcome to the Kirby universe where humans of the future will be near extinct and shrunken.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Adeleine is probably my most wanted character overall. My favorite character in one of my most favorite franchises. Not a character I'm expecting(but there are very few anyway), but one I'd be very excited for if revealed. At the very least though, there's always Ado in Star Allies!

For Smash, I envisioned Adeleine being a sort of summoning type character, who probably won't fight hands on much but lets her paintings come to life to deal with you(so literally like how she fights in Kirby) similar to Dedede's whole side B in Brawl being able to put a Waddle Dee, Doo or Gordo in the field. And I'd honestly prefer that and think it makes more sense over a whole paint based gimmick, as that niche is already partially filled by :ultinkling: anyways.

Speaking of Dedede's Brawl side B though, incidentally they happened to remove it in Sm4sh, but it helps that for Ultimate so far it seems they kept the Gordo-only side B, so that is good for Ado imo. Even better if, say, it was Gordo-only in Sm4sh due to the 3DS version, and that they could've reverted back to Brawl side B in Ultimate but conciously chose not to.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Unless they are going to post very late like the last time, my prediction was wrong, they haven't published the trailer yet. Well, not a problem, it will happen tomorrow then.

About that comic, I don't like when people associate Adeleine with that kind of stuff, even if just for humor and there is nothing explicit like in this case. I'm convinced that people doing that kind of fan arts is also one of the several reasons that kept her away from the Kirby franchise for so long.
Anyway, I don't get why some people think that Daroach was seen from below... it's clearly an optical illusion, the shadow is completely black and there is no sense of depth, so when the model rotates, you can imagine it as seen from above or from below, it worsk either way; though I think it's more likely that he was from above (but really, we have not enough informations to understand it, it can be either ways).

A triple reveal containing Bandana Dee, Adeleine and Marx?
That would be a dream. Unlikely as it is, considering that other series have 10+ characters in the game, Kirby getting 6 characters total is not even that crazy.
Honestly I don't care about Bandana Dee but I would like Marx, he has an interesting moveset in Star Allies (only after Adeleine though).

BTW, I can't wait to see Batamon in HD! I never expected to see him again in a new game... and this game may even confirm that Batamon in KDL3 was just a fake Kirby created by Ado.

On the other hand, I fear people will use food-sharing and heart throw to ship her with other characters :mad088: I know that it's just a matter of time, unfortunatelly.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm expecting she to be revealed late like last time.

Last edited:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Unless they are going to post very late like the last time, my prediction was wrong, they haven't published the trailer yet. Well, not a problem, it will happen tomorrow then.

About that comic, I don't like when people associate Adeleine with that kind of stuff, even if just for humor and there is nothing explicit like in this case. I'm convinced that people doing that kind of fan arts is also one of the several reasons that kept her away from the Kirby franchise for so long.
Anyway, I don't get why some people think that Daroach was seen from below... it's clearly an optical illusion, the shadow is completely black and there is no sense of depth, so when the model rotates, you can imagine it as seen from above or from below, it worsk either way; though I think it's more likely that he was from above (but really, we have not enough informations to understand it, it can be either ways).

That would be a dream. Unlikely as it is, considering that other series have 10+ characters in the game, Kirby getting 6 characters total is not even that crazy.
Honestly I don't care about Bandana Dee but I would like Marx, he has an interesting moveset in Star Allies (only after Adeleine though).

BTW, I can't wait to see Batamon in HD! I never expected to see him again in a new game... and this game may even confirm that Batamon in KDL3 was just a fake Kirby created by Ado.

On the other hand, I fear people will use food-sharing and heart throw to ship her with other characters :mad088: I know that it's just a matter of time, unfortunatelly.
UGH!! DON'T REMIND ME OF THE FANART!! THAT STUFF IS ALMOST AS BAD AS SOME OF THE STUFF THE SONIC FANBASE DOES TO CREAM AND COSMO!!

Ah yes, Batamon. I forgot you existed my friend. One of the few creatures Kirby hasn't massacred. Or actually, he might have, considering KDL3 is the only game they appear in. Adeleine creating them actually isn't that preposterous when I think about it.

:mad088::mad088: SHE'S ONLY A KID FOR ARCEUS SAKE.

btw found this video.
I think i know the actual reason why adeleine hasn't appeared for so long.

(Seriously how is this so cute but also terrifying)

Luminario

Smash Lord
beam of light.jpg
SHE HAS ARRIVED

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Now I can finally buy a Switch and Kirby Star Allies.

In the meanwhile, I improved my old artwork a bit...

AdoThankYouRelease2_small.png

Luminario Luminario as soon as they release the character's artwork it would be nice to add it in the opening post, especially since the old picture got deleted...

D

Deleted member

Pretty much me right now:

If this somehow led to her being in Smash Ultimate, I would never complain about anything Nintendo did ever again, lol.

EDIT: Fixed my reaction thing, lol.

Also SHE COMES OUT IN 3 WEEKS ON JULY 27TH AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I was concerned about her looking bland or something, but they crafted her model and her animations just perfectly, she is IMO the best looking character of the set, and by far!
I was also concerned about Ribbon stealing her spotlight, though the way how they made the character, Adeleine is still the leader and Ribbon the supporter, that works just fine!
They did an awesome work! I like the small redesigned details, it all works perfectly, and...

BATAMON.

I can't speak anymore... just add her in Smash for the sake of the world, please.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Oh man I’m going to star allies, I got a weak spot for anything Kirby 64. I also like Adeleine because of her prominence in brawl in the family comic, and this reveal made my day.

I love that Ribbon is with her too, reminds me of Duck Hunt and makes me really want them both together if they were picked for Smash.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Ladies and gentlemen, THE CURSE IS OVER!!!

I'll admit, that Switch news alert frightened me, but I had my suspicions they were holding out on particular details. I was almost gonna quit the Internet, but lo and behold, Adeleine returns! Seeing Ribbon carrying her is strange, but I miss her too and it's good to see they pay attention to detail (even if Ado has a knob on her beret.)

Eighteen years... nine in my case, but it's FINALLY ALL OVER!!!

Top Bottom