• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About those DLC characters . . .

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I was thinking yesterday about the DLC characters and how they aren't echo fighters. I thought it was interesting that by purchasing a character, a stage and tunes would be included. Why would a stage and tunes be included, unless these characters aren't part of a current franchise? After all, if these were going to be characters from a current franchise, a stage and tunes would merely be bonuses.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Corrin were DLC, but neither of them had a stage or tunes, whereas Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta got stages with tunes. Third-party characters may be added, but that doesn't necessarily mean all of them will be. It would then follow that certain characters people hope for like Geno aren't going to be in the game. Now it's time to wait to see who will be included.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
If we’re going by your understanding of it, I’d be interested in seeing NiGHTS, Heihachi, Professor Layton, Mike Jones, and either Sora or Neku.

I would stay away from the game if were you all and see about purchasing something better! As this will be the Death Of Super Smash Bros and the game will end up in a far worse position than Marvel VS. Capcom Infinite as this rate!!!!!!!!!!
Are you kidding me? I’d kill for Marvel Infinite to have Smash Ultimate status. It’s not that Sakurai “doesn’t care” about the fans; he’s literally included every fighter in the series. You actually think this game will flop because some useless mode got cut? Please; Marvel Infinite got sheared so bad it was almost unrecognizable, and only the gameplay was its saving grace. Stop acting so spoiled and deal with it.

Also, Piranha Plant is FREE until February.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah I predict we only get 3rd parties due to the price being $5.99 a pack the same price it was for the 3rd parties in Smash Wii U/3DS. Everything you said about the stages and music. Think about it none of the 1st party characters besides Inklings got a new stage in Ultimate. K.Rool didn't get Gangplank Galleon, Ridley didn't get Lower Norfair, Isabelle didn't get a new stage, we didn't even get a new stage based on Sun/Moon with incineroar. So I really do feel it's 3rd parties only which sucks because I don't want anymore 3rd parties and the exact reason I'm not getting the season pass until Feb. 2020 when I know who all the characters are.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
John Dylan Smith John Dylan Smith
There are many individuals with different preferences. You can be disappointed, but your attitude comes off as ungrateful.

A Arthur97
That's interesting. I wonder what determined that or why the development team decided to give Corrin new tunes.

Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213
Nothing is guaranteed yet. I very well could be wrong, but there are still a few first-party characters who haven't made it who aren't part of any of the current franchises.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Well! I can safely say that Sakurai doesn't care about us at all judging by all the horrible decisions he's made!

No game modes In Ultimate except for the ****ty Smash Tour mini game (Known as World Of Light) and the ****ty Master Orders rip-off (Spirirts Mode)!

Making our favorite characters we wanted in the roster ****ing assist trophies!

Throwing in unwanted Veterans who still have anything unique about them (such as Young Link and Pichu)

Removing Trophies completely for ******** reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having no good unlockable content that worth playing through those two ****ty modes for (NOT EVEN NEW STAGES OR ALTERNATE COSTUMES)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throwing In A Worthless Plant with teeth on it that's a ****ty Wario echo that you have to pay 10/20 dollars for!

Judging by what Vergeben has said! Us getting some ****ty DLC character choices such an anime swordswomen who's game didn't even get a release on a Nintendo console, A ****ty, blocky Villager echo with nothing interesting about him (Steve From Minecraft), A Square Character that isn't Geno, Sora, Crono, A Dragon Quest Character, or anyone from a good game series Square produced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Online game play being just ****ty and awful as it was in Brawl!

I would stay away from the game if were you all and see about purchasing something better! As this will be the Death Of Super Smash Bros and the game will end up in a far worse position than Marvel VS. Capcom Infinite as this rate!!!!!!!!!!
Dude, calm down.

Also, World of Light isn't like Smash Tour. It's obvious.

Vergeben doesn't have the truth. Trust in Sakuraï and his team.

About trophies, that make me sad too, but it's not for a ******** reason. More than 600 3D models with description in Sm4sh. And now new series. I think it would have push over the release date.

Community have characters they wanted, but not all. Ridley, K.Rool, Simon, Inkling.

:ultpiranha: is just a DLC. There is no need to buy. And we actually don't know how much we'll have to pay for playing as it.

Also, there are others mode than just World of Light and Spirits. Come on dude, did you forget about the others ?

You can complain, you can be disappointed, but don't say things you actually don't know. Also, I think you can calm down a little bit. I don't think it's over. You're allowed to not buy this game, it's you're right, but don't say **** because you're upset. It's the worst things to do if you want to change people minds (except if it's humor, but in that's case it has to be clear, and I don't think you were joking).

Arthur97

Smash Master
John Dylan Smith John Dylan Smith
There are many individuals with different preferences. You can be disappointed, but your attitude comes off as ungrateful.

A Arthur97
That's interesting. I wonder what determined that or why the development team decided to give Corrin new tunes.

Nothing is guaranteed yet. I very well could be wrong, but there are still a few first-party characters who haven't made it who aren't part of any of the current franchises.
I think they explained it as no new stage despite being a newcomer. You see, Roy, Mewtwo, and Lucas probably didn't get anything because they were veterans and having stages they could use due to being old series. The stage is the key point, not the music. However, it's not definitive.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Well! I can safely say that Sakurai doesn't care about us at all judging by all the horrible decisions he's made!

No game modes In Ultimate except for the ****ty Smash Tour mini game (Known as World Of Light) and the ****ty Master Orders rip-off (Spirirts Mode)!

Throwing in unwanted Veterans who still have anything unique about them (such as Young Link and Pichu)

Having no good unlockable content that worth playing through those two ****ty modes for (NOT EVEN NEW STAGES OR ALTERNATE COSTUMES)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throwing In A Worthless Plant with teeth on it that's a ****ty Wario echo that you have to pay 10/20 dollars for!

Judging by what Vergeben has said! Us getting some ****ty DLC character choices such an anime swordswomen who's game didn't even get a release on a Nintendo console, A ****ty, blocky Villager echo with nothing interesting about him (Steve From Minecraft), A Square Character that isn't Geno, Sora, Crono, A Dragon Quest Character, or anyone from a good game series Square produced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now see this is what I am talking about when the fanbases chooses an extreme without thinking of the grey area. I said that fans have the right to be upset and express their opinions and STILL be respectful and grateful towards Sakurai and team. This? This is just whining and making careless assumptions simply because expectations were not met.

Game modes; While I will miss the variety of mini-games and modes, I rather the team focus on working on the actual game, iron out all character kinks and create an amazing base game. Plus we still have classic arcade mode, and there may be other modes not revealed.

Characters; No matter how much we scream or cry, we have no decision on that. Sakurai is director. If he wants to add Ienzo from Bayonetta as a playable character, fine. Fans really need to stop assuming that everything ever created was 100% created for the fans, no matter how much that is used in advertisements. Yes, creators can appreciate fan input and throw in some fan service as well, but to expect them to cater to ALL the whims of the fanbase would be to compromise the product itself. You CAN disagree with the choices, but don't believe anyone owes you anything.

Trophies; While I miss trophies, let us be real...they added nothing to the game except fan service and something for us to collect. And he clearly stated that it is hard. They both have to create new trophies from the ground up as well as modify existing assets for the engine. You know what they could use with that time? WORK ON THE BASE GAME OR ON SOMETHING ELSE. Clearly that effort is going somewhere, and while I will miss collecting trophies, it's not like they were integral to the game.

Online; We don't know that yet. Yes, it is concerning that it appears to be peer to peer again WITH paid online and no online chat, but don't assume it will be as bad as Brawl's without actually putting it to the test first.

And no, I won't stay away from this game. I will play it. I will enjoy it. I will have my issues with it. End of story. Calm down. This is not a serious social or political matter, it's Smash.

Arthur97

Smash Master
What I really want from the DLC (after the horrors of what I've seen) is stage packs separate from the fighters. Throw in Mute City (Melee), Zebes, and Jungle Hijinx.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I want first party DLC.
Give me Karate Joe, Andy and Lip (because Vlad is an assist. Sad, but Ridley).
Maybe a Rayman, because it would be cool to have a character from my country (Allons enfants de la Patrie !).
And I want Zoroark. I know it's impossible but please, this man didn't have any chance :( !

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I came to this thread for some reason, but after this wonderful read I honestly forgot what it was.

What're we talkin' about?

Arthur97

Smash Master

I came to this thread for some reason, but after this wonderful read I honestly forgot what it was.

What're we talkin' about?
Part of it even spoiled me to a leak I'd rather not known about. Still, I reported then hit that ignore button.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I was thinking yesterday about the DLC characters and how they aren't echo fighters. I thought it was interesting that by purchasing a character, a stage and tunes would be included. Why would a stage and tunes be included, unless these characters aren't part of a current franchise? After all, if these were going to be characters from a current franchise, a stage and tunes would merely be bonuses.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Corrin were DLC, but neither of them had a stage or tunes, whereas Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta got stages with tunes. Third-party characters may be added, but that doesn't necessarily mean all of them will be. It would then follow that certain characters people hope for like Geno aren't going to be in the game. Now it's time to wait to see who will be included.
It doesn't follow that Geno won't be available via DLC, and there's nothing stopping Nintendo from charging for so-called "bonuses." Furthermore, how DLC worked for Sm4sh is not necessarily how it will work for Ultimate.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I would be shocked if more than one of the DLC (outside of Piranha Plant) was first-party, so you're probably right about the whole new series thing, which means that I will have zero reason to get excited about any of the included characters.

I will just have to hope in vain that they will continue updating this Smash for the rest of eternity and eventually upgrade some of the Assists.

Like who? The Chorus Kids? We won't be seeing any Golden Sun, Xenoblade, or ARMS representation, that's for sure.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I would be shocked if more than one of the DLC (outside of Piranha Plant) was first-party, so you're probably right about the whole new series thing, which means that I will have zero reason to get excited about any of the included characters.
So you believe him because you would be shocked? Why would you be shocked? You haven't given any good reasoning here.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
So you believe him because you would be shocked? Why would you be shocked? You haven't given any good reasoning here.
Guess I didn't word that well enough. I just don't see any new Nintendo series being represented for DLC so I would assume it would be mostly third-parties instead. Hence, none of them would be part of current franchises.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Geno is weird. A third party Mario character. Either way, I have little interest in the DLC outside of stages and the plant. I don't want a ton of third parties, especially the ones being pointed toward.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If were going by the content logic, the only first party character I can see getting in is Elma, mainly because there's close to zero content revealed from Xenoblade Chronicles X (there's one spirit and that's it). Considering there's Mii costumes, music, and multiple spirits for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a game that released after the project plan was finalized, that's suspicious to me.

Beyond that I think the DLC will be very 3rd party heavy. I'm keeping my hopes up for other 1st party reps, mainly Bandana Dee, but I wouldn't be surprised if only 1 Nintendo character made it in as DLC.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Guess I didn't word that well enough. I just don't see any new Nintendo series being represented for DLC so I would assume it would be mostly third-parties instead. Hence, none of them would be part of current franchises.
Again, you're not giving reasoning for you not seeing any new Nintendo series being represented.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Again, you're not giving reasoning for you not seeing any new Nintendo series being represented.
What series that aren't currently represented would be added as DLC? Genuine question because I have no idea.

Only one that comes to mind is Rhythm Heaven. To me, that's like doing Wii Fit Trainer as DLC. Wouldn't make any sense. They need to be heavy hitters or fan favorites (most of which have been disconfirmed).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Interesting how he said all dlc will be finished within one year. That's way quicker than Smash 4's dlc. It took I think almost two years for Smash 4 Dlc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Golden Sun and Custom Robo both have merit. Isaac was in the Vergeben post, so maybe he was planned to be playable, but they ran out of time. DLC gives them time. Some (probably fake) leaks said Ray was planned but cut, so he could get in. If Skull Kid doesn't get in as DLC I'm going to lose my ****.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Golden Sun and Custom Robo both have merit. Isaac was in the Vergeben post, so maybe he was planned to be playable, but they ran out of time. DLC gives them time. Some (probably fake) leaks said Ray was planned but cut, so he could get in. If Skull Kid doesn't get in as DLC I'm going to lose my ****.
I don't know about Isaac and Skull Kid. Both of them are assist trophies like Shadow, so it's unlikely. Didn't Vergeben also mention something about a square character being in the direct and Steve from MC being in Ultimate?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It doesn't follow that Geno won't be available via DLC, and there's nothing stopping Nintendo from charging for so-called "bonuses." Furthermore, how DLC worked for Sm4sh is not necessarily how it will work for Ultimate.
Yes it does, since Geno would be categorized under the Mario franchise. I'm not sure what you mean by "charging". So far Sakurai hasn't given any reason to believe stages and tunes would be separate from character purchases. DLC for SSBU may be different from SSB4, but SSB4 provided certain new characters with a new stage and tunes. That's just inductive reasoning, unless you have some information no one knows about.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes it does, since Geno would be categorized under the Mario franchise. I'm not sure what you mean by "charging". So far Sakurai hasn't given any reason to believe stages and tunes would be separate from character purchases. DLC for SSBU may be different from SSB4, but SSB4 provided certain new characters with a new stage and tunes. That's just inductive reasoning, unless you have some information no one knows about.
Geno could come with a stage based on an area from Super Mario RPG, though, and he's technically 3rd-party.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
You seemed to argue that because characters from franchises already represented in smash would bring with them stages and music from those series, the stage and music would be "bonuses" and shouldn't be something one buys. My response was that there's no good reason Nintendo wouldn't charge for those things by including them in DLC.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I mean, there are existing franchises on the Smash roster that IMO could use the extra stage and music based on how impactful they are (cough Donkey Kong). However you're probably right that they will be all new franchises, and a couple of them at the very least third-party.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
TheCJBrine TheCJBrine
Irrelevant. Diddy was created by Rare, a then second-party company. Waluigi was created by Camelot employee Fumihide Aoki. The former is a DK character, the latter is a Mario character. Third-party or not, Geno is a Mario character.

Al-kīmiyā' Al-kīmiyā'
I said the stages and tunes would be bonuses if the DLC characters are from the pre-existing franchises. And again, Sakurai has yet to separate the purchases as discrete products.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
TheCJBrine TheCJBrine
Irrelevant. Diddy was created by Rare, a then second-party company. Waluigi was created by Camelot employee Fumihide Aoki. The former is a DK character, the latter is a Mario character. Third-party or not, Geno is a Mario character.

Al-kīmiyā' Al-kīmiyā'
I said the stages and tunes would be bonuses if the DLC characters are from the pre-existing franchises. And again, Sakurai has yet to separate the purchases as discrete products.
Alright, I don't understand why you think characters from already represented franchises won't be DLC.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Alright, I don't understand why you think characters from already represented franchises won't be DLC.
Because of what is seen from SSB4. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were DLC. Each came with a stage and tunes for those stages. SSBU is doing the same. Like I said, I could be wrong, but if I am, then the stage and tunes would be bonuses for certain pre-existing franchises. If I'm right, then new franchises will be represented. Whether these franchises will be first- or third-party, not even inductive reasoning can say.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Whether these franchises will be first- or third-party, not even inductive reasoning can say.
Okay, so you're saying there's no good reason to believe there won't be first-party DLC. Your OP read to me like the opposite.

Arthur97

Smash Master
TheCJBrine TheCJBrine

Al-kīmiyā' Al-kīmiyā'
No, I'd say those are still first or second party since Nintendo still has the rights to them. Geno, they do not.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Okay, so you're saying there's no good reason to believe there won't be first-party DLC. Your OP read to me like the opposite.
He's saying that it could be first or third party, but whatever the case may be, he doesn't think it's going to be characters from franchises currently on the roster. So instead of another character from Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pokémon, etc., if he wasn't already an Assist Trophy, Prince Sablé could be a 1st party DLC character for example. Or Strider Hiryu, a 3rd party character could be added. The first character I mentioned was on the Game Boy, while the second character I mentioned was originally on the NES. Honestly, I'd prefer a DLC character whose series hasn't been represented yet.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Because of what is seen from SSB4. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were DLC. Each came with a stage and tunes for those stages. SSBU is doing the same. Like I said, I could be wrong, but if I am, then the stage and tunes would be bonuses for certain pre-existing franchises. If I'm right, then new franchises will be represented. Whether these franchises will be first- or third-party, not even inductive reasoning can say.
He's saying that it could be first or third party, but whatever the case may be, he doesn't think it's going to be characters from franchises currently on the roster. So instead of another character from Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pokémon, etc., if he wasn't already an Assist Trophy, Prince Sablé could be a 1st party DLC character for example. Or Strider Hiryu, a 3rd party character could be added. The first character I mentioned was on the Game Boy, while the second character I mentioned was originally on the NES. Honestly, I'd prefer a DLC character whose series hasn't been represented yet.
Oh, my mistake. I misspoke. I meant to ask Crystanium what his reasoning was for thinking that characters from already represented franchises will not be DLC.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Oh, my mistake. I misspoke. I meant to ask Crystanium what his reasoning was for thinking that characters from already represented franchises will not be DLC.
Honestly, that's the impression I got. DLC characters not being from already existing series on the roster. Of course I'm probably wrong.

Top Bottom