• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About the Pokemon change update

bored

Smash Ace
As I was reading the new updates this morning I thought, wow, awesome new characters, then I read on down and this caught me off guard...

"If you keep fighting with the same Pokémon, or if you change them out too often, it’s not so good for the Pokémon."

Hmmm.... what does this mean for the pokemon?

discuss..

Master_Yang

Smash Cadet
Perhaps keeping them out too long means they'll slow down, move more sluggishly or something? And changing them too rapidly could result in a dizzy effect, like from a shield break.

bored

Smash Ace
Perhaps your right, I dunno they probably take like fatigue or something..or as you said they might get dizzy if you switch them out to fast..

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Just something that forces you to switch in the same one of them becomes really top tier and people just stick with one.

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps keeping them out too long means they'll slow down, move more sluggishly or something? And changing them too rapidly could result in a dizzy effect, like from a shield break.
Sounds about right. And once you've "called back" the pokemon long enough they'll be back to full strength. But if you try to change back to fast the effect won't have fully worn off.

Banks

Smash Hero
the probably just do less damage, or their projectiles don't go as far, something like that

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
It would suck if they got dizzy from quick changes. Otherwise you couldn't go from Squirtle to Charizard....
Not really, it seems like that would be fine. But if you go to Squirtle to Squirtle (full loop) in only a few seconds... he could get dizzy.

But of course, this is just speculation on my part.

Sky-Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
I think it might have something to do with the weight of the Pokemon? Squirtle has better maneuverability, but his super light weight might mean that you will have to change to a heavier Pokemon later on, otherwise he will get knocked on the stage much to soon.

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
The first thing that comes to mind is that they have PP for their moves that recharges in the pokeball so they can only use B moves a set number of times and the PP recharges slowly so switching out to fast wouldn't give enough time for the PP to recover.

....I certainly hope that's not the case. Cause I think it would really suck if it was.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Switching out could be used as an unfair dodging tactic.

So they make it not instant, you can't do 2 back to back.

M.K

Level 55
Remember, switching them out AFTER THEY ARE TIRED, replenishes them.

So, SENDING THEM BACK IN IMMEDIATLY, would result in nothing gained.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
IMO, the 3 pokemon will lose stamine each time they use B attacks...and to a lesser extend when using normal A attacks.

When you return the exhausted pokemon to your inventory, he will start regaining stamina.. and this should be shown in some kind of way (like a bar or something).....and if by mistake you send back to fight the already exhausted pokemon.... he will penalised in some way.....prompting you to call him back again. (something like in the marvel vs capcom games)

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I'm betting on what someone else said... after awhile, they'll do less damage, not be able to use their specials as well... sort of like how a shield has to recharge when it's been hit alot, or Bowser's Fire breath needs time to recharge.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I think the whole STAMINA bit is genius and corrects the Zelda/Sheik mistake. I've never seen a smasher that would main BOTH Zelda and Sheik and use them BOTH during the match. I've seen ONE person main Zelda, and everyone else mains Sheik. In melee, Zelda was just the gateway to uber Sheik ****.
The stamina corrects this mistake because I guarantee that one of the pokemon will be the best, one will be neutral, and one will suck. The fact that they get tired if you keep them out to long or switch them too much, means you have to main ALL THREE, and not just the best character (Shiek) .

Eaode

Smash Champion
This si wat I said in another thread:

Eaode said:
Here my Take on the Stamina Thing:

When you start out, the pokemon has full stamina. Over time, let's say 2.5 minutes, the stamina gradually decreases even if you're not doing anything. (we'll say stamina goes from 0 to 150, so 1 stamina point every second)

Now, when your pokemon takes damage, they will lose additional stamina points, depending on the attack they're hit with. When their stamina gets low enough, they move slower, maybe have more lag, a little less power, etc. Then you are forced to switch them out. This way it works like the Magic Armor in TP, it drains constantly at a slow rate, and additionally if you're hit.

But when you switch the next pokemon out, let's say you lose 10 stamina points for your new pokemon right off the bat. But now let's say you hate Ivysaur, and you want to get Charizard right after Squirtle, so you change again immediately. If you change the pokemon within 20 seconds of the previous change, that next Pokemon loses 10 stamina points plus an additional 5 stamina points, 15. If you change again within 20 seconds of that last change, you lose 15 points + 5, and so on. If you keep switching, you pokemon will become increasingly tired straight out of the pokeball.

When the pokemon aren't in battle, they would heal 3 times as fast. So they'd be completely healthy in 50 seconds or less. But if you keep switching, they don't ave much time to rest and are losing more stamina points by the quick swapping.

That's how I think it should work.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This si wat I said in another thread:
Lets not have it be rocket science. How about stamina descrese as the battle passes, and switching restores stamina. The lower your Stamina is, the more sluggish you are.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
Yeah, its just a stamina thing. When Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard are fighting for too long, they start to suck. That's when you switch.

My strategy in using them would probably be to switch when I lose a life...

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Definitely, it's not nearly as exaggerated as some people are saying. Lose B moves?!!? Are you serious????
I'd expect them to just gain a little more lag, think more than that would just be overkill on the stamina part.

You're definitely on the right track Eaode, but the numbers are different in Sakurai's book. lol

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
Maybe just diminishing returns on the attacks and they become more easily knocked around even at low percentages? I dunno, some of the theories posted seem like good ways of doing it. It is kind of cool that he wants to force players not to play one of them exclusively, although if you only really like one it would suck for you.

Smash Ace
Easy:
hold A to start with Ivysaur, and B to start with Charizard
(or on the Wiimote, 1 and 2)

Top Bottom