• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

about Links character weeknesses

gfxdragongod

Smash Rookie
So in this topic we talk about the characters that Link has a REAL tough time fighting... or at least characters YOU'RE having trouble fighting with Link and hopefully someone will help you out.

Now as for me, I'm having a lot of trouble on;
Metaknight: He's so fast and has sooo much priority! Its hard to keep up with a really good metaknight. And he can edge guard link with great ease. I die at 30% to his dair when I'm trying to recover and his B-up/down smash send you so far horizontally, Link can't make it back =/ And to top it all off, my boomerang and arrows don't affect that darn mach torando(which is incredibly hard to dodge).

Luigi: He has so much prioriry, he's so strong, and his down be stops all my projectiles =( he recovers so fast its hard to get any consecutive hits.
pretty much his down B annoys the crud out of me -.-

kirby: its hard to fight fliers with Link in general... they can dodge your projectiles with great ease by just jumping and can edge guard link with that dair, his rolls are really hard to get around.

lucario: His rolls -.- they're too fast....

so, yeah! help me with my weeknesses! and if you have any problems facing any certain characters, just post!

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
For kirby and metaknight they are pretty easily killed by a dair. Remember dair is the bane of all floaty characters. As for the rest i've had no real experience with them but with luigi i'd say your best bet is a grab. That or roll out of the way. That down b is definately annoying. Just avoid it and take advantage of the lag that occurs when he misses you. As for lucario, spam. Just spam. He can dance all he wants but he will make a mistake eventually. Just keep the pressure on and openings should present themselves.

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
Number one thing, don't telegraph it. What i mean is that if your sitting above them they obviously anticipate it and clear out. Try using it closer to the ground by working into your combos, remember, they get hit by it if they are touching anything below link's chest.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Link's spin attack gets priority over most attacks, even Ike's B up and I think metaknight's B attack. You have to hit them multiple times. I think I have a video of me cutting through Ike's B Up attack. It's not practical to stop his B up recovery when he is recovering though. The best thing to do against Ike is to jump in the way of his Side B recovery when he is in the air. He will knock you onto the stage and fall without being able to do anything.

Get creative with the bombs, if you get good with them you can seriously peeve off your enemy.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
But every time I use Links dair, I miss and get owned =/ any hints to hit his dair?
You will hit with the d-air alot more often and you'll be safer if you do a full hop rising d-air. And you'll hit with it more often if you d-air with forwards or reverse momentum, especially out of shield. Never be predictable with it, never d-air when your opponent is below you unless your sure you are going to hit him. Using aerial momentum with his d-air gives it more range especially since its a long lasting attack. Basically dont use Link's d-air like you would for Toon Link. Toon Link can only go downward with his down thrust.

gfxdragongod

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips! But I'm still having trouble with kirby's =/ I can't get around Kirby's dair off the edge! Kills me at really low percentages and it gets on my nerves =( any tips to go against edge guarding?

and luigis... I find luigis Up B extremely broken, even though this doesn't really have anything to do with Link, any tips on dodging that Up-B? or any tips on luigi as a whole would be nice

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
i find that short hopping the Dair without fast falling is great in close combat.

well, great against tall characters. Anybody who is link's height or more there is only one thing they can do to avoid the Dair: roll

if they shield you will bounce and keep them in shield until you Nair.
if they dodge, you slowly float that **** right into their belly.

if they roll, you could get punished, but sometimes they don't actually punish you. If you are carrying a lot of horizontal momentum it really just depends which way they roll.
if they roll with your momentum they'll be able to punish you, if they roll away you'll most likely be safe.

but i'd say 2/3 of the defensive actions somebody could take on the ground are in your favor. not many people know to automatically roll out of that, so you can probably take advantage.

but if you REALLY want to get tricky, pull out a bomb, short hop into them and drop it, if they shield pull out your dair and bounce, if they roll, just land and catch it and throw.

there are combinations of catching with dair/nair or not catching with dair/nair that will keep them guessing.

gfxdragongod

Smash Rookie
Okay, I'm haveing some trouble with robs now... he recovers too fast from whatever he does.
I mean, his rolls and dodge is too fast. I just can't seem to get very many hits on Rob.
Any tips on fighting Rob?

Top Bottom