• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

about ike

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
i was reading ivaneva's (i think thats the name, oh well) match-up chart and it says that kirby has a disadvantage against ike, why is this? whenever i play against ike i dont too much of a hard time.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
It absolutely is not a disadvantage for Kirby. I've been trying to get him to change that...
Ike is a heavy character with an extremely gimpable recovery. He moves slowly enough in every respect that Kirby can just hang out just outside his range and punish his slower moves... which would be every one of his moves. If Ike tries to charge up his sideB, inhale him and he's dead. Kirby can dominate Ike with grab combos, u-tilts, and uair juggles.
All of his moves come out faster than Ike's. Really, there's no contest in this matchup.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
My personal favorite vs heavies... F-throw-uair-fthrow-uair-fthrow-hammer and he's done... yes you can combo the hammer off a fthrow I've seen it on the combo counter in training mode.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
i dont think ive had any problems with ike players since ive started. I dunno though, whether they were good are bad is up to others to decide.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If you have Kirby do mostly close up attacks and blocked or countered, I'm guessing that's what he means. But Kirby's quicker when attacking than Ike, and Kirby has better air time as well, (of course everyone knows that :p), so I don't know the confustion about that personally.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
wtf i think its other way around ike too slow kirby fast so ike isnt really good matchup aginst kirby =P

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Hey, as long as we're on the conversation about ike....
Does anyone know who would be penalized for stalling in this situation?

So first off, you need to know about this glitch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NMJGKfu3c

So if ike starts charging his side+b, let's say waiting for kirby to land or something, and kirby starts using his suction attack right when he lands, ike has a problem. If he lets the attack go(Which he can't cancel out of), he dies. But since it doesn't auto release after a while, he holds it. The kirby wants a free kill so he holds it as well. In a tournament, who is penalized for stalling?

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
For me Ike is the easiest char to kill. This happens when you use hammer and stone combos. and also edgehogging.

Bnana

Smash Rookie
I must say....Ike is a heavy character with god awful recovery...kirbycide....or fence of pain him..once you have him in the air(over the stage of course) he's dead.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
For Ike just play around for grabs and wait out his attacks before coming in. Your better off not kirbyciding and using cheap tactics cuz they don't work against good players in general. Especially predictable stone attacks.

Go in for some grabs to prevent him from using counter then if he's at a good % in battlefield you can kill him with upthrow or a good bair or fsmash or hammer if you can land it. Your at an advantage because one good grab at the beginning and he can get up tp 54% easily.

Bnana

Smash Rookie
I think thats a bunch of crud... Kirby,admittedly, on ground has a complete and total disadvantage. BUT even the best Ike player slips up which allows you to throw him in the air. Once you have a character like that(by like that I mean heavy and bad recovery) in the air hes in some serious crud. Or you could kirbycide him, or even better starshot him/her probably saving you and most likely killing them. If not AIRGUARD!

storm92

Smash Ace
That's wrong, just plain wrong.
Ike has such slow moves you can see basically every one coming except for AAA (which you can DI out of the last hit), either shield or spot dodge and then punish his ending lag.
He has a bad recovery and is killed by Kirby's aerial prowess.
Basically, if he's knocked off the stage against a Kirby, he's almost a guaranteed death.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
There is no good Ike that likes to hang around the edge of a stage and they most likely wont do side b cuz it's auto death kirbycide is not a good way to fight in this case...

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
Hey, as long as we're on the conversation about ike....
Does anyone know who would be penalized for stalling in this situation?

So first off, you need to know about this glitch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NMJGKfu3c

So if ike starts charging his side+b, let's say waiting for kirby to land or something, and kirby starts using his suction attack right when he lands, ike has a problem. If he lets the attack go(Which he can't cancel out of), he dies. But since it doesn't auto release after a while, he holds it. The kirby wants a free kill so he holds it as well. In a tournament, who is penalized for stalling?
i'd say ike would be.

"so if i'm sonic and i am on 999%, and i'm under the stage doing B, i don't want to die so i don't stop, and they don't want to risk a gimp, so they don't come neer me, who is stalling?"

after i typed that, not as good an analogy as i thought it would be.
i'd say who ever is at risk of dieing is stalling.
if you made both players stop what ever action they are doing, who would die.
they are the ones biding there time to try and live.

so in this case, kirby is trying to kill, while ike is trying to live, so ike is stalling.

if you had fox running in circles on temple, he would be trying to avoid fighting, while the chaser is trying to start it.

in my crap example, sonic is hiding, trying to live, while the other guy is just waiting for sonic to stop stalling.

then again, this is off topic.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
I just tested the swallow glitch vs Ike with Kirby and DDD.

Kirby does not have the glitch, it seems to be exclusive to DDD seeing as how the properties for both swallows are differen.

DDD will just get hit by Ike's Side B and Ike will fly off to his demise.

But kirby Will get hit but recieve no hitback due to the Heavy Frames, but Ike gets swallowed.

Swallow Glitch DECONFIRMED.

I tested both swallows under the same circumstances.

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
I just tested the swallow glitch vs Ike with Kirby and DDD.

Kirby does not have the glitch, it seems to be exclusive to DDD seeing as how the properties for both swallows are differen.

DDD will just get hit by Ike's Side B and Ike will fly off to his demise.

But kirby Will get hit but recieve no hitback due to the Heavy Frames, but Ike gets swallowed.

Swallow Glitch DECONFIRMED.

I tested both swallows under the same circumstances.
Sometimes that happens. Sometimes Ike just hits Kirby. And sometimes the glitch will happen. It depends on where Kirby is standing compared to where Ike's move would stop if nobody were there.

So it still happens. Trust me. I've done it with Kirby.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
It's just to clarify on the subject matter, i do not doubt that different circumstances could change the outcome, but still the glitch was originally posted in the effect that it WILL happen. This glitch is not as easy to pull off than with DDD, and we all know that the strength between the two is largely different. An Ike with enough experience vs a Kirby and skill will be able to stop just early enough to hit the kirby.

Thanks for the correction tho =)

swallow should not be the reaction you do everytime they side B

Top Bottom