• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Abandoning Rosaluma :<

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
I went into Sm4sh thrilled to play Rosetta & Chiko (I have the Japanese version). They were the characters I wanted to play the most. And play them the most, I did!

I logged about 650 matches with Rosaluma, with a decent win rate and was pretty happy with them. What's even better, I hardly ran into other Rosalina players, so it felt very good to win with a character that not many ppl seemed to be playing.

Then I noticed while playing against a n00b Rosalina... She's powerful. VERY powerful. Luma would soak up damage, her recovery is amazing, her lingering hitboxes incredible... I thought maybe there was some weakness or strategy I was overlooking, but no. She's got a huge advantage over some characters, and while I wouldn't call her broken, she feels so overpowered, it bothers me.

It's something that's plagued me since Melee days (with fighting games in general); I can't bring myself to play the high tier characters. I don't know why, it just irks me playing as a character that's very popular or good. I played Ice Climbers in Melee because hardly anyone seemed to play them (and they were fun). Sure, they had their grabs, but they still felt balanced.

Sadly, I can't say the same for Rosaluma. Recently, I've essentially been boycotting them because it bothers me to play them if I know they're so good.

But I can't be the only one who's bothered by playing top tier characters. Can anyone else empathize? Does anyone have some wisdom or something they can drop? I really want to play them, but I can't shake that guilty feeling.

</ermagurddilemma>

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I feel your pain. I like Sheik and Marth in Melee, but I can't play as them. I try and go with mid-tier most of the time, because they're good but not overpowered

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nah.

I've waited more than half a decade to see Rosalina in Smash, I'm not going to drop her just because people think she's 2stronk, even if they are right. She's one of my favourite characters, and I enjoy her play style so much.

Also, IMO top tier characters are as such not because they are rewarding unskillful play and are "dishonourable", but because they offer the player more room to expand their horizon than the mid tiers, they have a more limitless skill ceiling.

I guess you could say Rosalina's skill ceiling is cosmic...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I hear people stating that Sheik and Greninja are very good, but I've really been doubting Greninja's reputation lately.

Anyway, even if Rosalina is ranked very high on the tiers, that's not going to stop me from using her. In fact, Rosalina has basically been one of my strongest fighters to use.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I would try and learn to squash that guilty feeling if I was you. Liking a character that's actually good is a match made in heaven. You can play a character you like and have fun winning while you're doing it.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Well normally I would feel guilty playing high tier characters too. Metaknight used to be my #1 main in Brawl but I realised how OP he was so I avoided playing him completely. My #1 from then on until now was Zelda, and I got pretty good with her as the years passed.

Zelda felt really good to play as and she completely suited my playstyle. The problem is, I had to deal with all of the higher tier characters and she has to deal with all of these bad matchups. It was pretty annoying because I couldn't deal with certain types of approaches or approach safely myself, so sometimes I would just get wrecked and there is not much I could do about it.

When Rosalina was revealed, I already claimed her as my main before the game was released. Reason being, she plays like all of my mains (Ice Climbers (But I preferred how Luma works), Zelda, and bits of my lesser mains). When I tested her out in smashfest, her moveset sealed the deal.

I love using her now because it's a good change from using my low tier mains, but I don't feel guilty that she is a solid pick in this game because I claimed her as my main before much was known about her, whether or not she is good or terrible.

I think that you shouldn't feel so guilty about using her either because you decided to use her before the game came out. Also I think you should know that nooby/average Rosalinas are incredibly easy to deal with. I have never lost a single Rosalina mirror to this day because my mirrors sick with Luma and they are less knowledgeable with Rosalina then I am. Rosalina is a good character, but you need to be better than you have to be with other high tier characters in order to use her, that's another reason not to feel bad about her.

Anyway, I hope you reconsider because there are a lot of bad people who use Rosalina (so painful to watch or play against sometimes) and I don't want to hear that a good player has dropped her because of something like this.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Anyway, I hope you reconsider because there are a lot of bad people who use Rosalina (so painful to watch or play against sometimes) and I don't want to hear that a good player has dropped her because of something like this.
You know what, you're right. In the end what really matters is the player's skill. Why should I limit myself, whereas a bunch of noob players can use Rosalina all they want?

I appreciate all the responses; good to know I'm not the only one.

Zenitho

Smash Cadet
You know what, you're right. In the end what really matters is the player's skill. Why should I limit myself, whereas a bunch of noob players can use Rosalina all they want?

I appreciate all the responses; good to know I'm not the only one.
Good to see you came to that conclusion! This thread also helped me a little too, I plan on maining Sheik in the Wii U version and I wont feel bad about it now! Personally, If a character fits your style go for it.

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
You should never let tiers or other players' opinions dictate your decision making in any game. Only exception is if you're in competitive constantly, then I could see why people would gravitate to higher tiers. I've always played the characters I've found most enjoyable in any game regardless of tiers or what people say. Many people also play a ton of characters as well, if someone asks me if I could play someone else, I'd gladly switch characters for a few matches.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I really don't give a **** if Rosalina is top tier or not, it isn't going to stop me from playing as my all time favorite female video game character ever. And ever since she was revealed nearly a year ago, I was filled with joy and excitement that she'll definitely be my automatic main in this game. She's been my strongest fighter overall (next to Mega Man) and I absolutely love her playstyle.

And to end it all, she's the one I've spent the huge amount of time playing as more than my other mains, even Lucina and as long as I play Smash 4, I don't plan to stop playing as Rosalina at all. Not now, not ever.

numanumaking13

Smash Cadet
NNID
numanumaking21
I see where you are coming from but I say play the character that you like the most. There's no reason to be ashamed of playing a character that might be high tier.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I play a crapton of Ganondorf and have faced enough rubbish from projectile users and fast characters on Omega stages that I play Rosalina guilty-free.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I never liked playing noticeably high-tier characters either. I can't feel good playing if I know I have a distinct advantage over my opponent. Overall SSB4 is rather well balanced, but Rosaluma definitely feels like an outlier.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed finally being able to use Meta Knight. :smirk:

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
I love rosa i just cant figure her out since puppets confuse me anyway off topic i think tiers shouldnt affect your choice unless your play professionally. so keep rocking that rosetta chiko.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Thanks for all your input guys, I feel much better about maining Rosaluma now :D My secondaries are Palutena and Sonic (main from Brawl)

I play a crapton of Ganondorf and have faced enough rubbish from projectile users and fast characters on Omega stages that I play Rosalina guilty-free.
There have been cases where I'd be having trouble with my secondaries and I'd have to break out the Rosalina, hehe... In those matches I don't feel so bad lol

T0MMY

Smash Master
Sadly, I can't say the same for Rosaluma. Recently, I've essentially been boycotting them because it bothers me to play them if I know they're so good.

But I can't be the only one who's bothered by playing top tier characters. Can anyone else empathize? Does anyone have some wisdom or something they can drop? I really want to play them, but I can't shake that guilty feeling.
Either embrace your inner scrub and drop the character, or man up to the fact Rosa's a good character and get back to having some fun in the competition.
It's as simple as that.

But, for what it's worth, I think the character is overrated anyhow.
There are strategies that get by Luma and the long-lasting attacks are rather slow and easy to intercept. As for the recovery: She is a lightweight; this stat makes up for the probability that she is going to be KO'd easier than the heavy weights who don't have as good as a recovery (it's called game balance).

Ultimately, quit looking for excuses to not play a character you like and stop bothering the rest of us with your psychological problems, there's professional psychologists who are starving out there because they spent a lot of money getting their Psych degree and can't land a job - go council with them and get some real advice (note: don't see a psychiatrist, they will just push drugs on you worse than a shady guy on a city street corner, and the drugs aren't even that fun either).

I might come off sounding trolly, condescending, or apathetic, but posting a classic scrub's folly here on SWF is inviting this kind of response (and others as well), and I gave you the best competitive advice I could and it's up to you to look into what I and others have to say about your (scrubby) quandry. G'luck.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina & Luma was the character I was most eager to play before Smash 4's release, so as others have said I feel no guilt at all for playing her. I didn't decide to main her because she's top tier, she just happens to be top tier.

Listen, there will always be immature little babies on the Internet who think you're playing Rosalina only because she's top tier and complain about it, but you know what? The heck with those little babies. And even if you did pick Rosalina only because she was good... so what? It's a game. You can pick whoever the heck you want. If people complain about your Rosalina, just beat them up with her and tell them that they can pick Rosalina if they want, otherwise they had better shut their trap about it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Either embrace your inner scrub and drop the character, or man up to the fact Rosa's a good character and get back to having some fun in the competition.
It's as simple as that.

But, for what it's worth, I think the character is overrated anyhow.
There are strategies that get by Luma and the long-lasting attacks are rather slow and easy to intercept. As for the recovery: She is a lightweight; this stat makes up for the probability that she is going to be KO'd easier than the heavy weights who don't have as good as a recovery (it's called game balance).

Ultimately, quit looking for excuses to not play a character you like and stop bothering the rest of us with your psychological problems, there's professional psychologists who are starving out there because they spent a lot of money getting their Psych degree and can't land a job - go council with them and get some real advice (note: don't see a psychiatrist, they will just push drugs on you worse than a shady guy on a city street corner, and the drugs aren't even that fun either).

I might come off sounding trolly, condescending, or apathetic, but posting a classic scrub's folly here on SWF is inviting this kind of response (and others as well), and I gave you the best competitive advice I could and it's up to you to look into what I and others have to say about your (scrubby) quandry. G'luck.
I don't see how a response like this is invited when the OP had already stated they are not abandoning the character.

I also don't see how psychiatrists, their pay, or any deep psychological connotations have anything to do with this thread. The OP just had a small concern, which is valid considering what happened to Metaknight and his fans.

Also Rosalina's aerials are not so easy to intercept because they shift her hurtbox.

And being easy to KO (weight wise, Rosalina has a lot of tools for survival though) and having a good recovery is much better than being hard to launch but having a sub par recovery.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Posting in a forum full of competitive players like myself is inviting such a response.
Glad I could clear that up.

Also glad to clear up how this is not a game mechanic (i.e. does not involve the software in question), this is of the player's psychological situation they are describing, thus is in the field of a psychologist.

And "easy" is subjective, what is easy for me (and my character(s)) may not be easy for you in all circumstances, so I don't make it a point to argue subjectivity and just leave people with their opinion.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So competitive player suddenly equals "be a **** to everyone"?
That's not the vibe I get from most, and I certainly don't try to do so either.

Also this is related to game mechanics. People are worried Rosalina is overpowered because of her game mechanics. Therefore, discussing said game mechanics is what should be done.

Oh, I can intercept Rosalina easily. I know the character, so I can face her just fine. But by principle, she isn't easy. Likelihood is that your opponents just have not been using her aerials correctly.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Not sure where you deduced that, as insulting people as a "**** to everyone" is worse than giving competitive advice that came with a warning that it could be taken the wrong way.
Sorry to break it to you, but I have a difficult time being offended by someone online, so your conclusion is simply just unwarranted.

As for the rest of your post, I already told you I don't deal with subjectivity. I'll leave your opinions and deductions to stay with you.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
This is silly. You play a game to win. I feel the way the TC does about Meta Knight on Brawl, but Rosaluma has weaknesses. Also the game hasn't been out long enough (in either NA or Japan) to warrant this kind of ban on her. The meta hasn't even started.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
This is silly. You play a game to win. I feel the way the TC does about Meta Knight on Brawl, but Rosaluma has weaknesses. Also the game hasn't been out long enough (in either NA or Japan) to warrant this kind of ban on her. The meta hasn't even started.
True, you play a game to win, but not all high tier characters are "easy mode" like Rosalina and Luma, being extremely forgiving and just in general tard-friendly. I would be incredibly embarrassed to main a character like R & L.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'm going to respond to this topic with a personal story.

When Melee was the latest game, I played the absolute worst character in the game: Mewtwo. I did not care that he was at the bottom of low tier. I did not care how often I lost. I did not care that he had 2 specials that were basically unusable to me. I played him only because I enjoyed the playstyle. I did wish that he was a bit stronger, but I made do with what I had because that's how things were at the time. I was a Mewtwo player and I was resigned to that fate.

During that time, nobody told me to play a better character. Nobody tried to discourage me from doing what I wanted. Nobody tried to dissuade me because nobody considered me a threat.

Then Brawl was coming out. I learned that Meta Knight was going to be playable, and with Meta Knight being one of my favorite characters I couldn't wait to use him. I didn't really care if he was low tier or not. Time passed, the game was released, and it came to be known just how powerful Meta Knight was.

Only then, when I had a high tier character, did the complaints suddenly start coming in. "You only play Meta Knight because he's cheap!" "Meta Knight is so easy to win with it's ridiculous." "Just spam mach tornado to win!" These people all talked about things like "honorable play" and "fairness", but the funny thing is: Nobody really cared when I played a character who was too weak. They only had a problem when I played a character who was too strong. They only had a problem with my character choice when it threatened their ability to win.

If they truly cared about fairness, they would've complained about Mewtwo just as hard as they did about Meta Knight. However, they didn't really care about fairness, regardless of their claims. They only cared about their own, fragile, pathetic little egos. So they complained about things that threatened their egos, and then made up excuses for their complaints in order to further protect their egos from the obviousness of their pettiness.

Sadly, I did not realize their deception at the time. I fell for it and started playing Zelda (another bottom tier character) for the rest of the Brawl era.

This created kindof a conflict between ideals in my head. I had long ago read Sirlin's articles on Playing to Win, and I agreed with the central message: You should play in a way that allows you to actually win, and not let scrubs stop you from doing so. To me, playing to win seemed like it was the single most honest way to play. In truth, at the end of the match, you lost or you won. As long as you played your best and did everything you could do, then the result of the match was honest. You either outperformed the opponent or you did not.

On the other hand, if you did not do your best, and if you played to achieve honor instead of victory, then the results of the match were never honest, and you could always hide your ego behind this dishonesty by saying things like "I lost because my character is weak" or "I wasn't really playing my best". This to me was a huge roadblock to getting better, because I couldn't stop thinking about how weak my character was. I never had to face my own weaknesses, because I was preoccupied with my character's weaknesses.

While such words as "honor" may sound alluring to the naive, in the end it's just a lie you tell yourself to feel better. "You totally suck at this game and always lose, but at least you played with honor, right? You don't have to learn anything or improve as a person as long as you don't threaten anybody's egos with so-called 'dishonorable' choices such as 'playing a character you actually like and want to play as' or 'trying to push the limits of the game' or 'just flat out being better than the other person'."

I began to think that honor had nothing to do with actually being good at anything, or even being a good person. What's so holy and righteous about lying, especially when the lie is actively harmful to whoever believes it? I started to think that honor was just about making other people feel better about themselves, which is little more than a comfortable lie that I can't really have any respect for.

Yet, despite the fact that I felt this way, I still found myself ditching Meta Knight for no other reason than he was strong enough to allow me a reasonable chance to win. It turned me off of the character so much that I don't even play him in Smash 4 either.

What made it even more ridiculous is... it's not as if I only play high tier characters. I played Mewtwo all the time in Melee and he's still my main in that game, so it's provably true that I'm not like that. Further more, I can't really think of anyone who is like that, and even if they were... so what? I had basically endured Brawl Zelda for no reason other than the fact that I was overly concerned about what people thought of my character choices, and once I realized how stupid that was I couldn't kick myself hard enough for it.

Fast forward to today. Smash 4 is out, RosaLuma is my main, I love playing her all the time, and we Rosa mains must be doing a pretty good job with her because I keep hearing complaints about how "OP" she is, regardless of how ridiculous that notion is.

First off, I can think of about 10 or so characters who are currently deemed as "OP" by someone or another (Yoshi, Bowser Jr., Bowser, Peach, RosaLuma, Greninja, Shiek, ZSS, Donkey Kong, Robin, Little Mac), and it's way too early to determine that with any sort of accuracy. Most of those characters are either all-new characters or characters who have been revamped in some way, so it's more likely that these characters have new gimmicks that people don't know how to deal with, and it's highly unlikely that any of them are actually unstoppable. Just because you haven't found a solution to a problem, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

When I hear these complaints I can only think one thing: When these people complain about OP characters, or when they try to imply that you only won because your character is strong... All they're really doing is trying to discourage people from playing characters that they don't know how to deal with, while simultaneously putting you down and diminishing your accomplishments (and in doing so, diminishing their own failures).

The whiner don't want to get better or improve, so they'd rather just discourage people from using those characters so that the whiner can have a better chance of winning with their own favorite character. The whiner doesn't want to admit that they have shortcomings or are anything less perfect than the Second Coming of Christ, so they'd rather just imply that you cheated somehow. It's not really about "playing fair" to the whiner, regardless of what they might try to say or how righteous they want to make themselves sound. To the whiner, it's all about improving their own chances to win in ways that don't involve the whiner improving themselves. Instead of doing the right thing and learning the matchups that are hard for them, they'd rather try to use social intimidation to ensure that those unfavorable matchups never happen for them, or at least happen less often.

Well, those hypocritically unscrupulous kinds of people managed to take Meta Knight from me, because I allowed them to, but I'm not going to make that same mistake again. I'll play RosaLuma until the next generation of Smash comes out, and I don't even care if she gets banned from tournies. Playing to win is the only honest way to play, and anyone who resists my efforts to do that is not only dishonest but is also trying to stifle my efforts to get better. They are not an honorable knight trying to show me the errors of my ways, but rather a highly questionable and selfish person trying to hinder me.

To the TC and anyone else facing that same kind of BS, the only kind of advice I can give you is this: Don't fall for it. The kind of "honor" that these scrubs try to promote is the most dishonorable crap I've ever seen in within the limits of a gaming community. It's toxic, misguided, and dishonest. A scrub is nothing but a liar trying to protect his ego, despite his constant and inevitable losses, who isn't really a part of the scenes and never will be because of one simple reason: They refuse to learn. Let their problem be their problem, and don't ever let it become your problem.

Just play who you want to play. It doesn't matter if you're playing a high tier character because you want to win in tournies, nor does it matter if you're playing a character you're good with just because you like that character. Anyone who tries to tell you not to play a certain character is just an immature person who needs to wake up to the truth of the world around them.

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Your story is horrible and it makes no sense. Plus, I don't consider Meta Knight & Rosalina to be similar situations. Rosalina is a puppet character with various bugged mechanics & puppet loops on top of her broken hitboxes. She is detrimental to the game in a different way than a Meta Knight.

I understand that the moral of your story is to play who you want, but you could have just left it at that.

Also, you seem to have misread the OP (can you read?). Nobody told him that Rosalina was dishonorable, etc. to play. He himself thinks so. He feels that Rosalina is too easy to win with and that it doesn't take a skillful player to use it. So I don't know why you're telling him "Don't listen to them." It's his own opinion.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Your story is horrible and it makes no sense. Plus, I don't consider Meta Knight & Rosalina to be similar situations. Rosalina is a puppet character with various bugged mechanics & puppet loops on top of her broken hitboxes. She is detrimental to the game in a different way than a Meta Knight.

I understand that the moral of your story is to play who you want, but you could have just left it at that.

Also, you seem to have misread the OP (can you read?). Nobody told him that Rosalina was dishonorable, etc. to play. He himself thinks so. He feels that Rosalina is too easy to win with and that it doesn't take a skillful player to use it. So I don't know why you're telling him "Don't listen to them." It's his own opinion.
Your tears are delicious.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

But the OP has already said they were overreacting?

Thanks for all your input guys, I feel much better about maining Rosaluma now :D My secondaries are Palutena and Sonic (main from Brawl)l
Not to mention liking a lot of people's posts, being those who have been encouraging him/her to keep at Rosalina.

Nothing you've said here counters what Shiliski has said either. You're just making claims without elaborating. What "bugged mechanics" does Rosalina have, pray tell?

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Your tears are delicious.
My tears? lol. You're the one writing out essays to convince yourself of something. Seek therapy.

This is a pretty simple situation. Yes Rosalina is a top tier character, yes she is very, very easy to use. Bottom line that is not the players' fault, it's the developers. Main her if you want to.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
My tears? lol. You're the one writing out essays to convince yourself of something. Seek therapy.

This is a pretty simple situation. Yes Rosalina is a top tier character, yes she is very, very easy to use. Bottom line that is not the players' fault, it's the developers. Main her if you want to.

Last edited:

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
I'm going to respond to this topic with a personal story...
*applause* This is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for, thank you!

Now that you bring the idea of ego up, I think it may have been my own ego keeping me from playing higher tier characters. In hindsight, that makes me no better than a whiner who says "You only won because..." I was simply trying to avoid people thinking poorly of me in that way. What you said makes sense, so-called "honorable fighters" made up a code of conduct in their minds and are trying to play accordingly not because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes them look good in front of others.

(Also, I've been playing (and pwning lol) as RosaLuma today, it feels good to be back ;)

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I want the audio from that to be put alongside this:

I love that glitch oh so much.

*applause* This is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for, thank you!

Now that you bring the idea of ego up, I think it may have been my own ego keeping me from playing higher tier characters. In hindsight, that makes me no better than a whiner who says "You only won because..." I was simply trying to avoid people thinking poorly of me in that way. What you said makes sense, so-called "honorable fighters" made up a code of conduct in their minds and are trying to play accordingly not because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes them look good in front of others.

(Also, I've been playing (and pwning lol) as RosaLuma today, it feels good to be back ;)
I'm really glad to hear that. It was a mistake for me to give up Meta Knight, and I would hate for someone else to make a similar mistake with RosaLuma. Welcome back to the fold.

It's an easy mistake to make, and it's a mistake that I myself have made, but it is a mistake. However, we can both say this about ourselves: We've learned not to make that mistake anymore.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be honest, the idea of applying "honour" to a video game like this just seems melodramatic to me. Simple as that, it's a game, have fun. Yeah, things are a little different in a tournament because money is on the line which is why we have stage bans and of course Metaknight, but if you're not in a tournament, go nuts, play Metaknight in Brawl, etc. You don't have to worry about TO ruling then.

Plus, in hindsight, Ike whacking Luma with his sword or something does not seem at all honourable. :V

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Still can't get over people who feel bad about using characters that are high tier. There's a Marvel/SF/Tekken/something player that talked about how stupid it is. Wish I had a link to it. I think Leffen or Prog linked to it once.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Still can't get over people who feel bad about using characters that are high tier. There's a Marvel/SF/Tekken/something player that talked about how stupid it is. Wish I had a link to it. I think Leffen or Prog linked to it once.
Rosalina is very, very easy to use and win with -- people will probably have no respect for you -- but if you want to use her then you should.

I don't know what those two people had to say, but regarding lower tier characters, plenty of people feel that it provides more of a challenge & that it's a test of skill to use them. Let those people do what they want, and let people who prefer high tier characters do what they want.

Last edited:

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
True, you play a game to win, but not all high tier characters are "easy mode" like Rosalina and Luma, being extremely forgiving and just in general tard-friendly. I would be incredibly embarrassed to main a character like R & L.
Rosaluma is not easy mode. Neither is she easy to use. Her absorb move has a ton of lag, her regular projectile is garbage in deux mode, and the 3DS pad can get you killed with Star Launcher. Throwing Luma can cost yourself a stock. She is floaty, lightweight, and you can easily see where she is going. She's an incredibly complex character to use. What's so embarrassing about Rosaluma? She's not Akuma in SSF2. She has counters (separate the two and then kill Luma, block the dash until she returns to neutral, don't challenge her in the air, weird projectiles also stop her [Link, Tink, Marios, etc.]).

And once again, the game has been out for a month. Meta and tiers take quite awhile to create. You play with her, there are counters to her, and she is worked at to counter those counters. I haven't seen YouTube video tournaments dominated by Rosaluma winners either. I don't see tournament players getting asterisks when they play as her either. If people have no respect for you playing as her, then they are literally the scrubs that Sirlin talks about. They are unable to become good because they don't play to win.

I think that just because you don't know how to counter her, doesn't make her OP.

Google: Sirlin play to win article

Steam

Smash Hero
Rosalina is quite busted, at least at this early point in the meta. But play who you want, be glad your character gets to be good and be glad you're not a huge fan of ganondorf or something.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Rosalina is quite busted, at least at this early point in the meta. But play who you want, be glad your character gets to be good and be glad you're not a huge fan of ganondorf or something.
Yeah. Ganondorf was my Melee main, with Falcon as my secondary. Then out comes Brawl... -_-

BUT I like Wario, so there.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I went into Sm4sh thrilled to play Rosetta & Chiko (I have the Japanese version). They were the characters I wanted to play the most. And play them the most, I did!

I logged about 650 matches with Rosaluma, with a decent win rate and was pretty happy with them. What's even better, I hardly ran into other Rosalina players, so it felt very good to win with a character that not many ppl seemed to be playing.

Then I noticed while playing against a n00b Rosalina... She's powerful. VERY powerful. Luma would soak up damage, her recovery is amazing, her lingering hitboxes incredible... I thought maybe there was some weakness or strategy I was overlooking, but no. She's got a huge advantage over some characters, and while I wouldn't call her broken, she feels so overpowered, it bothers me.

It's something that's plagued me since Melee days (with fighting games in general); I can't bring myself to play the high tier characters. I don't know why, it just irks me playing as a character that's very popular or good. I played Ice Climbers in Melee because hardly anyone seemed to play them (and they were fun). Sure, they had their grabs, but they still felt balanced.

</ermagurddilemma>
If you love using her, dropping her is...well, I wouldn't do it.

There's nothing wrong with using a powerful character. And you know what? Rosalina isn't OVERPOWERED, because while she has some great stuff (amazing, actually), she takes a LOT of skill to get good with.

Basically, you're either going to be eh with her, and not use her power to her full extent, or you're going to work hard to master her, and be great.

Either way sounds understandable.

If anything, you can always second Rosalina and try to main someone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom