• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Writer's Discussion

RDK

Smash Hero
Actually, I like to think genetics is an exact science -- it's just that our science of studying it is anything but ;)
That's more or less what I meant by my statement.

When I said "it isn't an exact science", I was referring to our current method of genetic study. :lick:

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I like to think genetics is an exact science -- it's just that our science of studying it is anything but ;)
Genetics is very exact. The study of it is, as well, very exact. It is so exact that it is limited in its scope. Genes code for proteins. Genetics will tell you that A leads to B, but not necessarily whether or not B leads to C. The B to C relation is left to psychologists and sociologists, and those fields are exact in some places but not in all. They work with even greater variables than biology, with many of those variables hard to isolate, and in environmental conditions that are difficult, if not impossible, to control.

I'd give it a few years(decades). Considering genomes and DNA are massive strands of information, it would probably take a long, LONG, while before everything clears up.
Things move quickly if there's money to be made.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I was cleaning today, and found my box with my writing in it:

For size comparison:

Sometimes I forget just how happy writing makes me. But in order to write all that, I had to be alone. When I'm at work, my friends come and visit me, and usually I wish they'd just go away so that I can read and/or write in peace. I've told my wife on several occasions that I'd probably be better off without friends.

RDK

Smash Hero
Same with me. I have trouble enjoying anything if I'm not by myself.

Is that your boy in the bottom pic?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
=D Yeah sometimes I feel the need to be left alone as well(my family is dispersed throughout the world... only my sister lives near me). I'm pretty much alone anyway though... However, I still have that yearning for a companion you know. Here I go again, I really should write about this! *inspiration*

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
I don't have anything for the E-books.

For the genre I like, I don't usually like to think of stories in categories like that (hey, if it's a good story, it's a good story), but I guess my favorite would be Fantasy/Action, because you can go just about anywhere with that genre, make it as scary as you like, include as much romance as you like, as much fighting as you like, just about everything I can think of. And plus, it's really fun to wright about big battles and stuff.

Fantasy? What is it? Anything that's fiction and includes things that have no chance of existing today.

What caused me to want to write? Well, that's quite interesting actually. I would always day dream these stories in my head, and my brother told me that I should write those down. So, the very first time I drew, I tried to write about one of Marios adventures, basically a condensed summary of the game "New Super Mario Brothers". It didn't go very far, and it probably stunk, but I was little back then.

Mario...let me tell you about him. To me, he was always my favorite Nintendo character ever. Every time I though of him, I thought of a very powerful and very cunning warrior who could defeat just about anyone with a combination of technique, master martial arts skills, his pyrokinesis powers, his sheer cunning, battle intuition, and unstoppable willpower. I mean seriously, how many times has he actually lost throughout the series? Two to three times? That's the way I always thought of him anyways. The very first time I tried a serious fanfic, he was the star. And many of my daydreams involved him as the hero.

Inspiration? Well...that actually leads me into my next question. Suppose you wanna write about all these really awesome battles involving militiary strategy, expert swordsmanship, medicine usage on wounds...but don't know even a lick of any of that stuff? I know about hand to hand fighting, but other than that, I'm stumped so...what do you do when you don't know anything about what your writing about? I have a thread calle "Need Some Help With My Story", so you can also put some answers there if you like.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Suppose you wanna write about all these really awesome battles involving militiary strategy, expert swordsmanship, medicine usage on wounds...but don't know even a lick of any of that stuff? I know about hand to hand fighting, but other than that, I'm stumped so...what do you do when you don't know anything about what your writing about?
Well, you've got two choices. Either write about something else, or learn what you don't know. In other words, research (as you would for a school paper, but better, since it's something you actually care about).

http://skylerocon.deviantart.com/art/Untitled-Story-99387192

Help? I'm not sure where to from here on this. Any suggestions?
Uh, maybe consider what traces of the previous owner may have been left in the car. Maybe lead into a mystery as to why it was abandoned and the story around that?

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Oh, this brings me to what I think is a good topic, when your reviewing someone elses work, what is your biggest pet peeve whenever you do this?

This could be anything like, does it irritate you when they call you stupid for pointing out flaws in their work, does it annoy you when you go to a lot of work and effort only for them to never work on their story again, or is it irritating when they never respond to any of your reviews?

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
More like when the fic and the account attached to it both mysteriously disappear the day right after I leave a page-long critique.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Uh, maybe consider what traces of the previous owner may have been left in the car. Maybe lead into a mystery as to why it was abandoned and the story around that?
Hadn't thought of that...

I feel stupid now that you mentioned it.

Anyway, pretty much what Nino said. I left FF.net though, seeing as the Smash Brothers section is getting buttraped by 'ZOMG TABUU COMEZ BACK' and 'CHAOS ENSUEZ!111', the latter of which only Hoogiman, Tikitikirevenge, and Act II could pull off.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah, yeah, I know what that's like, you know the story "Spellcasters Calling"? The author just sorta pulled a disappearing act like a day after I left my critique.
Maybe he's diligently working on the next installment while keeping your thoughtful suggestions in mind...?

Or am I being delusional?

But hey, at least he didn't take down the story and delete his account.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I made a guy do that once. His story looked something like this...

Mario: its-a me- a maroi!
Peach: hi mario! wuts up!
Mario: nuthing much, princes!

Yeah... it pretty much carried on like that. So, I just said: "Learn to spell? Learn basic grammar? Go back to third grade?'

After that the story and the account were deleted. I laughed so hard.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ouch. But that makes me feel better about wearing the "judgmental prick" label. At least I'm not the only one.

I tend not to bother with stories like those because I usually doubt the writer cares. I'd like to give you an example of the writing/content of the fic I unintentionally got deleted, but it's probably not appropriate for this site. For more reasons than one. Why I bother with those fics and not the script-format ones is beyond me.

Anyway, I already whined enough about this on another forum.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
El Nino's whiny post on another forum said:
On an unrelated topic, and not to hijack the thread or anything, I'm going to vent for a second (supposedly that's what this forum is for). It seems I may have unintentionally caused an account deletion (or at least a fic deletion). My only reaction is: WTF. If you ask for advice, why are you running away when someone gives it to you? It may have been the harshest critique I've ever offered on this site, but the author wanted suggestions for improvement, and that's what I gave. I mentioned the things I liked about the story (and I meant them), and then went into detail about what to me were the story's biggest flaws, why those aspects didn't work for me, and offered a couple suggestions. I even opened with a disclaimer that I didn't know whether or not the author wanted to treat the story so seriously but that I was going to offer advice anyway just in case. I also made it clear that I was not passing judgment based on subject matter; I was only evaluating how effectively the subject was handled. It was the longest review I'd ever written for this site, and it took some time to get down. I don't review every story I come across; I usually do it when something shows potential but needs work, as was the case this time. Today, that review is gone, and it looks like the story is gone as well.

I probably would care less if it had been a shorter review. But this took time. And now I can't even reference the review to see if something in my language might have come off as a flame. It wasn't a flame, d*mnit, it was just an honest opinion and some advice that the author could have chosen to ignore if he/she didn't like it. I might have felt better if I had gotten an angry reply (or even have been ignored) rather than have the writer and story both vanish on me. I don't know if the poster is 1) just really embarassed and re-thinking the story, 2) throwing a private hissyfit elsewhere, 3) just an impulsive person who has now already forgotten the whole incident, or 4) torturing cats in some basement somewhere.

After all that, I should also say that there is a possibility that the story's deletion may have nothing to do with me. It's possible someone else reported it for inappropriate content (it was rated T but probably should have been either M or AO). Heh, now that that detail has dawned on me, I realize this whole rant may have been pointless. Eh, sorry about that. Carry on....
Is that the post you were talking about?

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um, yeah. Thanks for digging it up out of the gutter, even though I had no need to see it again.

It does sound all whiny, doesn't it?

Yay for gore-fetish fics and the idiots who critique them.

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
<i>Maybe he's diligently working on the next installment while keeping your thoughtful suggestions in mind...?</i>

<i>Or am I being delusional?</i>

<i>But hey, at least he didn't take down the story and delete his account.</i>

Eh, you could be right, I did kinda shove a lot of information down his throat (he seems kinda new at this, ya know?), I wish he'd at least respond though. Worst case scenario, he'll pretty much just get bored and move on, however, he might actually take a passive interest and just procrastinate a lot...like me.

Speaking of that...there's a story I've procrastinated a lot on, it's called "The Descending Evil", when I finally get around to finish the second chapter, you think you could review it?

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sure. I've been online more and more because I'm procrastinating my own story. And I've got a little bit of time between now and next week, so yeah.

Edit: Since I can't double post....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/10/07/creativity.depression/index.html

In response to the earlier discussion about the relation between mental illness and creativity. Not the most informative article, but yeah, I just came upon it randomly.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
So the two school based trainees I work with are studying two different books for their 11th grade English assignment. One is studying '48 Shades of Brown' by Nick Earles and one is studying 'Catcher in the Rye'.

They're both my favorite books. I thought it was a funny coincidence. Kind of.

I get annoyed when I say Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books, and people (namely the trainees I just spoke of) say 'Oh so you like that book 9/10 serial killers have read'.

Is that even accurate?

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
So the two school based trainees I work with are studying two different books for their 11th grade English assignment. One is studying '48 Shades of Brown' by Nick Earles and one is studying 'Catcher in the Rye'.

They're both my favorite books. I thought it was a funny coincidence. Kind of.

I get annoyed when I say Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books, and people (namely the trainees I just spoke of) say 'Oh so you like that book 9/10 serial killers have read'.

Is that even accurate?
If it's true it's probably just because it's a book commonly on high school curricula in America.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Edited: I shouldn't be posting when I'm high.

Sociopaths have been noted to read detective magazines and books on true crime. Call it a bit of self-absorption.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Where are all the stories? I know this place is traditionally a fanfic dump, but there's only ONE original story on the first page.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I remember this place being barren for the last four years, outside of wwyp

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
but there's only ONE original story on the first page...
Would anyone bother to read a fairly long "original story" with no relevance to smash? I'm scared to post it. Partly because people won't read it.... Partly because people will. Either way I get the impression that a lot of elitists hang out here.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Would anyone bother to read a fairly long "original story" with no relevance to smash? I'm scared to post it. Partly because people won't read it.... Partly because people will. Either way I get the impression that a lot of elitists hang out here.
They would. Yes, post!

I'm kinda busy though :bee:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'll read it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'd read it. Hopefully it'll get more people to post non-fanfiction writings here.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Tom sent me a message last night reminding me that National Novel Writing Month will begin soon. Anyone participating?

I won't be this time, but I offer a compromise: I will spend the same amount of man hours needed to write a horrible novel to instead write a really great short story, which is something I've been meaning to do.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Alright. I'll look over it and post chapters one and two this evening. It's over 60 pages long so far though.... still adding more.

EDIT: Yeah.... I already regret posting it. I knew this was a bad idea. First and only comment: "This is why I hate Fantasy".

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tom sent me a message last night reminding me that National Novel Writing Month will begin soon. Anyone participating?

I won't be this time, but I offer a compromise: I will spend the same amount of man hours needed to write a horrible novel to instead write a really great short story, which is something I've been meaning to do.
There are two things I hate about November.

1) Elections.
2) NaNoWriMo.

EDIT: Yeah.... I already regret posting it. I knew this was a bad idea. First and only comment: "This is why I hate Fantasy".
If I have time, I'll take a look in a few days. But if this is your first time showing your work to people outside your inner circle of friends and family, take a breath and calm down first. And don't take it personally. Not everyone is going to like what you write, just like how you don't like every book/movie/game you encounter. Learn to roll with the punches, learn how to fall and take hits. That's the only way to improve.

Even if someone can't offer advice, if they give you their honest opinion, that's worth something. It's up to you to come up with a new game plan. And as an FYI, "cliche" tends to mean that a piece of work lacks originality. The best way to combat this is by reading more, learning more, and getting exposed to new experiences.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
From now on, I'm only asking you guys for advice on my writing. Remember that story "Starter" I submitted for WWYP VIII? I let an English teacher at my old college read it to get her opinion. I swear to you, this is the email she sent me back, copied word-for-word:

hi,

with a true confession i will say i have not studied or really fully read your stories. i did run into your wife the other day and asked her to ask you, again, exactly who is your audience. what i mean is this -- the story "starter," reads to me as though it were written for men -- why? i found the language - not "****" but the demeaning language about women and their body parts offensive.

i am lost as to who is the narrator?

you say "southern drawl," but then there is none and it doesn't come into play

i don't know where this takes place -- geographically -- maybe i shouldn't then "southern drawl" should have more signficance.

in short stories or narrative, as in a novel -- the plot or the story line in general comes out in the first paragraph or at the very latest -- the second.

the opening doesn't round out the ending - why?

i got lost as to who was speaking and to whom -- i did get the phone conversations narrative, that is they were just that. but then i was lost as to who was asking and

then i don't understand who and how these characters interact or relate or more specifically who are they in "relation" to one another?

you shold be careful about using language that is "local" i mean -- "grinder" in massachusetts for example a "grinder" is called a "sub" or "submarine" -- language that is more universally understood is always key to moving your message.

and lastly, i'm sorry to say

what is the point of this story?

Top Bottom