• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A UpB Spike? With Young Link?

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Not really a spike..bowser just traded hits with the upb so the momentum of the first hit took him to the left...bowser had no second jump n his upb is **** from that low.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Its not a spike, if it was a spike bowser would be hurdling straight down and it would not be cancelable. My opinion is that it was a freak-horizontal accident thing, or a meteor.. Reminds me of reverse dolphin slash with marth..

Giggidax

Smash Ace
Its not a spike, if it was a spike bowser would be hurdling straight down and it would not be cancelable. My opinion is that it was a freak-horizontal accident thing, or a meteor.. Reminds me of reverse dolphin slash with marth..
umm..... that spike wasnt canceled, bowser was not at a high percent so he recovered fast enuff to at least get an upb out before he died. this is normal, if u play falcos, marths, links, or fox's u would understand the physics of spikes.

Keyo

Smash Apprentice
This was indeed a spike, as he could not come back. Something i don't understand is how did he not take any damage at all? There has to be some trick to it, its all so weird. Jash fbyl *For Best Young Link* ;)

Gea

Smash Master
Not really a spike..bowser just traded hits with the upb so the momentum of the first hit took him to the left...bowser had no second jump n his upb is **** from that low.

Well... its considered a spike anyways... even if it didn't go straight down. But you are right, by trading hits with that first bit it slung him probably straight horizontal, then his falling speed (and poor DI, because he was DIing with the attack) killed him.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Yeh he only died because of poor DI..i dont think its a spike..if that was someone like ganandorf, he would survive with ease.

Sudai

Stuff here
Not every hit in YLink's Up-B does damage. That explains the lack of damage. Do you think you could edge cancel the Up-B to try to get the "spike" portion of the up-b? Not very practical but could prove to be fun in some friendlies.

Gea

Smash Master
Not every hit in YLink's Up-B does damage. That explains the lack of damage. Do you think you could edge cancel the Up-B to try to get the "spike" portion of the up-b? Not very practical but could prove to be fun in some friendlies.
I doubt you could consistently time that, but its possible.

Sudai

Stuff here
Hence why I said it wouldn't be very practical. I'm going play with some friends today so I'm gonna try it out to see if I can get it at least once. Wish we had recording stuff over there just in case I do get it.. But yeah, I'll post back with any results I get. :x

Giggidax

Smash Ace
I doubt you could consistently time that, but its possible.
spin canceld edgehogs arnt that hard to time down. if u actually want to master it, it would probably take an hour or so to get a good grasp of the timing.

but i dont think u could spike with it anyhway.. maybe u can ive never tried it

Sudai

Stuff here
I got three spikes in about two hours of trying to edgeguard with it. Most of the time was against a CF friend that doesn't sweetspot. So..yeah...You have to time two different things, one to get the edgehog, one to get the spike..It's pretty ****ed hard. >.<

Jash

Smash Lord
i actually messed up when i did this, its pretty simple really. Its like countering with Roy but more technically. What you really need to do is have a bomb in your hand, wait for the hit *like you would do with Roy/Marth*, time the UpB so that the first hit will hit him and take no damage but sends him them far, then Bomb DI so you will not move anywhere and be ready to edgeguard just in case. Its pretty risky but works sometimes so i suggest doing it as a mindgame.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
To actually get the spike your opponent either has to be above or below ylinks sword when he does the upB. The only thing is that you have to time it just right and if your opponent is above you it might send them the oppostie way and they'll end up back on the stage. And the higher damage the opponent has the easier it is to get the spike.

Jace08

Smash Lord
No, Young Link's is far less powerful than Link's upB, and won't send them as far as Link's would. Still doesn't mean you should never use it... but in my opinion they have to have a fairly high percentage to be sent far enough away from the edge to be easily edge-guarded.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Actually sometimes it works better at lower percents. I've had it where im facing towards the middle of the stage, an i use up-b. My opponent gets sent from the middle of the stage to behind me, and downwards. I cant do it whenever i want, its just luck. But it can spike the same way links does, i just have no idea how. Since i dont have any proof im not expecting any1 to believe but w/e.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
umm, ya im sure this spike consisted of poor DI and situational timing.

but either way, bowser still got spiked, and since his upB sux vertically, he couldnt get back up rofl

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Yesterday I done a wierd kind of stage spike with the up+b.

My friend (using Link) was coming back to the stage and was close to grabbin the ledge. I ran up the ledge hoping to up+b ledge cancel onto the ledge but instead I didn't do it properly and he was hit and was sent towards me but downwards hitting the edge of FD and falling to his death. It looked so nice

Has anyone experienced this before?

Top Bottom