• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A treatise on the awfulness of Fsmash

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bad points: Why we tend to complain about this move as much as we do.

1. It doesn't have as much range as the animation gives it credit for, particularly from the back. You can see the whip cut into the opponent but there being no actual hitbox there, they are unaffected.

2. The start up time is rather long and easy to react to.

3. The afterlag is awful and can be punished by a multitude of strong attacks if it does not hit and damage the target. At very low damages this attack can be punishable even on hit, again particularly on the behind hitbox.

4. The power of the attack itself is quite low compared to her other attacks, even when connected properly.

5. The hitbox of the attack is very lateral, making it easily avoided by jumping. Combined with the start up and afterlag, punishing it by jumping and attacking is fairly easy.

6. Charging up this Smash attack, for whatever reason, only affects the power and damage of the front, close-range hitbox. The midrange "sweetspot," which is ordinarily stronger than the close-range hit, is not affected, in addition to the weak tipper and behind hits.

7. The fact that the attack even has weakspots at certain ranges weighs down the primary reason to use this move for its range. That is, you could just be doing something else that hits harder.

8. The hit window of the attack is actually quite small and very easily spot dodged/rolled around.

Good points: why we still mention it despite awfulness.

1. I personally think it looks neat.
2. It does have just a couple, niche uses. Instead of being 100% useless it's about 95% useless.
3. It can hit behind, if only for a couple frames and quite weakly doing do. Some cover is better than none.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
is this a thread? cause theres really nothing to discuss...

you just said heres the reasons this move suks, are we supposed to respond? and if so, how?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I like using it randomly, because people don't expect it. Kind of like the occasional dair.

More often than not, though, I intend to dash attack, and accidentally forget to use the C-stick for it.

ETA: Kid, this is more of a "We don't need more F-smash threads" type thing.

I nominate this for sticky-age.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Shut up, Fsmash is awesome.

In all seriousness, I wish I could stop using it, but it's pure instinct :(
It's not my fault other character's Fsmashes are actually useful D:

Phazonin

Smash Cadet
I've always hated the move. It seems like the only way I can hit with it if the opponent goes behind me or if I stun them.

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
I only use it once I've gotten someone to around 140% or higher and land a dsmash on them. I don't always trust myself to hit with the sh bair, and this attack sends people mostly horizontal. Although, heh, I missed the sweetspot on a Snake earlier today and he survived at 180%...so I'm even reconsidering that.

Really the only application I can think of for it, other than just using it now and then to be unpredictable. :/

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think the most useful thing about it is that if you use it once a set at high percent, after a dsmash, most people have no idea how to DI it, and it's got a very low trajectory.

But that is a rare situation.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
Dsmash -> charged fsmash is the only time I use it on purpose anymore.
Yea i find this is the only time i use Fsmash as well...especially if i land a dsmash on someone midair off stage and they're not low enough for me to Bair them against the stage.

It may not appear to send them fast enough to kill but usually they get far enough to get KO'd...more so at high percents of course.

ashes

Smash Apprentice
I tend to through it in here and there just to shake things up, and then in the air I use it. It seems to be abit faster in the air and so it tends to come in handy when I am near the opponent, and need a quick attack that they won't expect. I think it is the neutral A when in the air. Any one else find it useful in the air?

Adapt

Smash Lord
I tend to through it in here and there just to shake things up, and then in the air I use it. It seems to be abit faster in the air and so it tends to come in handy when I am near the opponent, and need a quick attack that they won't expect. I think it is the neutral A when in the air. Any one else find it useful in the air?
Nair is a whole lot different from fsmash....

Nair is quick starting and quick ending and it autocancels upon hitting the ground. It also does a set damage (10%) no matter where you hit with it. This is a good aerial move when you need to space yourself in the air.

Fsmash has none of these attributes... although fsmash can kill at very low damage it's only if you can get your opponent to sit still for 3-4 seconds, or walk right into it

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Dsmash -> charged fsmash is the only time I use it on purpose anymore.
Ya, I use fsmash after dsmash when the enemies are at very high %, only b/c I find the dsmash, dsmash, bair/uair combo harder to time when their % gets really high (like "**** I should have killed them already" high). I guess that combo is still viable, but why risk getting fancy and messing up if the fsmash is a kill anyway?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Ya, I use fsmash after dsmash when the enemies are at very high %, only b/c I find the dsmash, dsmash, bair/uair combo harder to time when their % gets really high (like "**** I should have killed them already" high). I guess that combo is still viable, but why risk getting fancy and messing up if the fsmash is a kill anyway?
You can d-smash once and then jump over them and hit with a bair while they're still stunned. Waiting for them to pop out of the stun is really an un-needed risk.

Top Bottom