• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Starter of a Gem

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Completely off topic, but I think it's time that they start showing some characters in some alternate colors in the screenshots.

Mr fN LeON

Smash Cadet
I would like to c the glasses he wore 4 the squirtle squad 4 squirtle like rican thunder said but u think it even has a chance since it was from the anime?

Drake3

Smash Ace
Awww Piplup <3, but for some reason I was expecting something that wasn't a pokeball.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Piplup has an interesting effect, with the whole "carry people off the stage" deal. Wonder if you can shield it or not... and how soon you can escape/get back to the stage.

And if nothing else, it proves that Pokemon Trainer's alt costumes won't have Pokemon from different gens. Didn't need much proof of that, since Charizard is the only Fire-type with wings, which would mean you'd need different movesets altogether.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
Cool! Seems like pokemon are getting deadly :D

Man, I thought today was going to be a character tho XD

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
hmm we still have 10 long weeks til brawls release. im hoping for at least 2 more characters before then. but, he could have already given us all the starters... o well hoping for music or an FS for tommorow

Smash Ace
I wonder if this means Marill is gone? I hope so.

EDIT: as far as female PT, it's fully possible she'll be an alt for PT.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Yeah but people have been saying that the alt costume would also have alternate pokemon. I'm all for alt costumes. Female, rival, rocket team(or whatever they're called). A lot of possibilites. I just don't think it deserves to be an all new character.

I don't know about marril Yeah they do pretty much the same thing but I don't see why marill would be gone.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Lol dyce.

So back on topic. Yeah more 4th gen. Sakurai isn't completely ignore it. I know I know, munchlax.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
FOMG LUCAREO CONFRIMED LOL !

The most interesting part of this update, to me, is the fact that Piplup is using surf. I was expecting Kyogre to use a monumental surf to flood the stage, so I'm curious as to what he'll do now.

And I guess this deconfirms the thought of the other starters being costumes for the PT. Though I don't know if anyone seriously thought that from the beginning.

Who am I kidding, this update was trash. The Golden Hammer, Subspace Enemies and Piplup pretty much entirely cancelled out any hype that was generated from the surprisingly impressive job they did on Wi-Fi.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Who am I kidding, this update was trash. The Golden Hammer, Subspace Enemies and Piplup pretty much entirely cancelled out any hype that was generated from the surprisingly impressive job they did on Wi-Fi.
Had Sakurai combined Monday or Tuesday's update and today's update, we would have had such a better week. Two almost insignificant updates together (like GHammer and Piplup) on Monday, "World's Greatest Brawl Update" on Tuesday, Subspace enemies on Wednesday, and a character or something fun today. That would have been a better system.

I know all updates can't be winners, but when it seems that Sakurai just isn't trying anymore... that's what breaks my heart. It's a good thing Sakurai is probably using his time to make us a better Smash game. If it wasn't for that, I'd be pretty upset with him right about now.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Had Sakurai combined Monday or Tuesday's update and today's update, we would have had such a better week. Two almost insignificant updates together (like GHammer and Piplup) on Monday, "World's Greatest Brawl Update" on Tuesday, Subspace enemies on Wednesday, and a character or something fun today. That would have been a better system.

I know all updates can't be winners, but when it seems that Sakurai just isn't trying anymore... that's what breaks my heart. It's a good thing Sakurai is probably using his time to make us a better Smash game. If it wasn't for that, I'd be pretty upset with him right about now.
Right. It's not so much that we get crappy updates every now and then, it's the fact that some of these aren't paired together for no obvious reason at all.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Piplup was my starter of choice too.

I wonder if this brings in the possibility of Turtwig (Or evolved forms) and Chimchar (Otr evolved forms) as Pokeball Pokemon.

I'dlove to see Infernape smack Wario into next week.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I just hate when updates lack information. How long can you talk about a Pokemon? Not long evidently. Here's the formula of a basic Pokemon update:

"Here's (X Pokemon)"
<SCREENSHOT of Pokemon>

"It does (Y Action)"
<SCREENSHOT of Pokemon doing its attack>

"(Onomatopoeia and/or Excited Expression)!!!"
<SCREENSHOT of Pokemon attacking someone>

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
"A starter of a gem"? Wtf is that? There was a penguin movie about surfing, and you don't even make any reference to that? I'm very disappointed in this title.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
So nobody picked Chimchar? No love for the flaming monkey?
Flaming poop attack FTW!!

But about the update, regardless of whether it's a powered up Marill or not it will probably be just as easy to evade.

I'm getting really tired of some of these updates though, and I'm usually all "be happy we are getting updates, whiners!"

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd

I'm sorry to say this, but is it me, or do the graphics look like it was made from some pro 3D program? Seriously. I thought Piplup would be more detailed.

Now, I have a feeling Turtwig is going to be a healer pokemon. Like, he can walk up to an player and suck their damage away from them. We need a healing pokeyman.

Chimchar will most likely have Flame Wheel or Mach Punch, perhaps Close Combat.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Im not one to hate lame updates but...this is absolutely nothing. "Here is a pokemon that does the same thing Marill did in Melee, but its a diffrent pokemon". Almost all updates show something new an interesting, but this was boring and pointless. Oh well, the week isn't RUINED ;D

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
think sakurai will give us a char select screen once we get all the starters? or will he make us wait... hmmm. im seeing the water element in this game not doing dmg but sending opponents flying or dragging them to their deaths. i also question if terrain will give certain characters a dmg boost. ex: pickachu on thunder vers of stadium.

Top Bottom