• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Sonic Video, Give any constructive criticism

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
This is one online friendly i was able to record. Besides the going for stage spikes, what else do i need to be doing in my game that i didnt even attempt to do/didnt do enough? I'd also like to add i've only been playing him for a week or two, so I may still do things considered n00b by the sonic community

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L17MBYpQc74

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with fighting Yoshi, but when he needs to come back to the stage he'll usually air-dodge very predictably based on when you jump at him. It is ridiculously easy to mind game him with bairs. Just jump at him and bair him the first few times. He'll dodge right into it.

J18

Smash Journeyman
too much fsmash, and a lot of missed grabs in there. try to incorporate your tilts more, and the dair gets really predictable after a couple times.

Umby

Smash Master
Hiroshi plays Yoshi? O_o

Mindgame your approach. You might force Yoshi into an Egg Throw or Egg Roll, which is exactly what you want from him. Try approaching with shield canceled Spin Dashes or shield dashes and work your way into a throw. If you're going to pursue him in the air, work quick or you'll just get downb'd or daired.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
too much fsmash, and a lot of missed grabs in there. try to incorporate your tilts more, and the dair gets really predictable after a couple times.
yea, i was getting frustrated cause i kept missing grabs, which lead to the fsmashes. For some reason i can't grab well with sonic when i play online. I do need to use the tilts more. I tried to use dair more to get on the ground than to actually attack, but i did get caught when i tried to attack

thanks for the help guys. keep it coming!

Hiroshi plays Yoshi? O_o
different Hiro

Tenki

Smash Hero
-Looks like you need to learn his jump height. There were alot of times where you tried to do an aerial attack but just didn't go high enough.

-Sonic's kill moves are precious. Fsmash is nice damage early in the game, but you want to try to reduce its stale move effect as much as you can so you can kill when you need it to kill. Same with b-air. It's got its uses in some situations, but don't use it too often. Those two moves, and dsmash, can kill from the center of FD generally starting at around 120%.

-Spring drops. It's a very underrated move, but it's oh-so-useful. Dropping a spring so that the spring's knockback leads into another attack, or to force him into a shield, is soo useful.

-I'm not sure if the missed grabs were due to lag (some matches aren't laggy - especially between two fast connections), but you definitely want to shield grab more, or like Umby said, use shield cancelled spindashes/scsd grabs.

-Also, use more side-B. Helps to mess around with timing a bit. Try using early dash attacks so that you can follow up with another move, like a tilt or aerial, instead of rolling too far and having to chase after him.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
-Looks like you need to learn his jump height. There were alot of times where you tried to do an aerial attack but just didn't go high enough.

-Sonic's kill moves are precious. Fsmash is nice damage early in the game, but you want to try to reduce its stale move effect as much as you can so you can kill when you need it to kill. Same with b-air. It's got its uses in some situations, but don't use it too often. Those two moves, and dsmash, can kill from the center of FD generally starting at around 120%.

-Spring drops. It's a very underrated move, but it's oh-so-useful. Dropping a spring so that the spring's knockback leads into another attack, or to force him into a shield, is soo useful.

-I'm not sure if the missed grabs were due to lag (some matches aren't laggy - especially between two fast connections), but you definitely want to shield grab more, or like Umby said, use shield cancelled spindashes/scsd grabs.

-Also, use more side-B. Helps to mess around with timing a bit. Try using early dash attacks so that you can follow up with another move, like a tilt or aerial, instead of rolling too far and having to chase after him.
All very good points. one thing i dont even attempt is that spring drop...gotta integrate that more. Most of those missed grabs were cause of lag, but some were cause of me not being used to sonic's limited grab range compared to diddy (my main). I do apologize again for all of the fsmashes. that came from frustration of all the missed-cause-of-lag grabs. And yea, his jump height for some reason is weird to me. Taking longer than i thought to get used to

Teh Umby said:
Hiroshi and Yoshi rhyme. :o
...yes, yes they do o.o

thanks again for your help guys. Anything else you can squeeze in there will be great. I want my sonic to be my best alt! (cause honestly, he's never stepping into my main territory with diddy and gw)

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I'll agree with what Tenki said about bair but ONLY for Yoshi. Against other characters bair works as a much needed damage racker that has moderate range and good priority. Against Yoshi though you really have no other choice but to KO him directly since he can super armor his way through almost any gimp you try on him.

Sp3ed0fSoUnD

Smash Cadet
You could try approaching with different combos and some mind games, helped me out a bit.. for example spindash => spring => Dair and you can mix it up from there.

Also Bair could be used by SHing behind your opponent, this usually works because they try to shield when you approach, but they let go when they see no immediate attack

But honestly, you have a good Sonic and all it takes is practice =)

heartless_pit

Smash Cadet
holy cow poo
YOU PLAY LIKE I DO!
except for the grabs i back throw just cause it looks kool and i constanly side taunt whenever i get the chance,
(they say if u do it 4534257234985723049 times u become god of speed XD)
anyways, i like how u played but u gotta time ur uairs more and stop spamming fsmash like i do, lol.
and how did u do that thing where u where in a spin dash then u suddenly jumped and homing attacked right above him (LOOKED COOL !)

like i always say (even though i never do)
Speed is better when u make it look cool ! STYLE over SMASHES !

also i always spam my side taunt but if i did ide win to easy ! "YOUR TO SLOW!"

Top Bottom