• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My profile pic will always be that of my favourite anime. You'll never take me.
It's muda muda muda! I'll just keep on pulling those Critical Triggers like the mary sue protag I am!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Me: damn! It sure is good to get all the references on the thread between the padoru pfp and videogame injok-

It's muda muda muda! I'll just keep on pulling those Critical triggers like the mary sue protag I am!

My brain trying to figure what the references on this post are:
704B4A4F-58FE-4A5E-9446-707C455B24E6.jpeg

D

Deleted member

I've gifs of it but don't know the anime.
Profile pic of mine is from Kino's Journey.
Obscure card game animes man. They always catch everyone new here off guard lol, dunno why.

Basically, it's an obscure card game anime by the name of Vanguard. don't think that rings a bell

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Obscure card game animes man. They always catch everyone new here off guard lol, dunno why.

Basically, it's an obscure card game anime by the name of Vanguard. don't think that rings a bell
I've heard the name before. Cardfight Vanguard. Just didn't recognise the gif.
I'm a very slice of life anime fan. And isekai.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
in terms of new "vs capcom" games, I always humored the idea of Universal vs. Capcom

strange, I know, but I feel like in terms of companies with a nice set of characters and franchises to pull from, they could be a pretty interesting choice and they could parallel capcom's slate pretty well.

we're talking stuff like E.T., Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Dreamworks Animation, the Universal Monsters, and so on

That and I think we're overdue for another western company to crossover. We need that marvel-esque flair

definitely a weird choice, but I'd love to see it.

Could you imagine Regina from Dino Crisis going up against a Velociraptor from Jurassic Park,?

Or how about Morrigan up against Dracula or Frankenstein's Monster (btw, Darkstalkers was originally intended to be a licensed game based on the Universal Monsters before that idea ended up rejected)?

or hey, we could finally get to see that Mega Man vs Megamind after confusing those two names for the longest time

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Popularize isn't the same as invented.
To be fair, the fact that the specials were connected probably didn't matter back then. I didn't consider it until finding the video.

Especially since this Universe has some plot holes of its own.

Like why is Rudolph young again in Shiny New Year?

D

Deleted member

Me: damn! It sure is good to get all the references on the thread between the padoru pfp and videogame injok-

My brain trying to figure what the references on this post are:
View attachment 253211
Basically, Vanguards main gimmick is the trigger system. When you do things, you flip over the top of your deck, and if it's a trigger unit, you activate the effect of the trigger,

There are 5 main types, but I can't be bothered to actually describe em so I'll just copy paste from the VG wikia:

Lozenge Magus is a [Heal] trigger unit
"Trigger" (トリガー Torigā) is a card effect included on Trigger Units, which is a yellow-colored type of unit. There are five trigger effects, and all tournament-legal trigger units are grade 0. The trigger icon is located at the top right of the card. During deck construction, a deck must contain exactly 16 trigger units, with a maximum of four heal triggers (even if they have different card names).
Contents
[show]
How it Works
  • A trigger effect only activates while it is in the trigger zone, which is guaranteed by performing a drive check or a damage check, or using an effect which specifically activates a trigger effect. A trigger check is performed by putting the top card of the player's deck into his or her trigger zone, and if that card has a trigger effect, it activates immediately. After resolving all effects activated, if the card is still in the trigger zone, it is put into its owner's determined zone, regardless of whether it has a trigger effect or not.
    • Damage Check: Put that card face up into your damage zone (this is considered as "dealing a damage").
    • Drive Check: Put that card into your hand (this is not considered as "drawing a card").
  • When the player must check for multiple triggers at once, perform each trigger check separately before revealing the card for the next check. For example, if a player must perform two trigger checks and his first trigger check reveals a draw trigger, the player will draw one card before performing the second trigger check.
  • To activate a trigger effect, the player must have at least 1 vanguard or rear-guard with the same clan as the trigger unit.
  • Trigger effects always must be activated if possible. Therefore, if a heal trigger is activated, you must heal one damage if you fulfilled the condition, even if it causes an effect to disappear, such as a [CONT] Limit Break.
  • Each trigger has two effects: A [Power] increase effect and the other one corresponds to its trigger icon. The two effects from the trigger can be applied to the same unit or to two different units, regardless of their clans.
Examples
  • If "Battleraizer" is revealed, and the player only has "Nova Grappler" units present, the trigger effect activates, choosing the rear-guard "Brutal Jack"- Standing it and give it +5000 power until end of turn.
  • If "Grim Reaper" is revealed by "Alfred Early", if the player has a "Blaster Dark" rear-guard, the trigger effect activates since a Shadow Paladin unit is present- giving to "Blaster Dark" +5000 power and "Alfred Early" an extra critical until end of turn.
  • If "Dragon Monk, Genjo" is revealed by "Mr. Invincible", but the player does not have any Kagero rear-guard present, the trigger effect cannot be activated as a result.
Trigger Effects
All triggers share a [Power] increase effect according to their trigger icon (either +5000 or +10000), which lasts until end of that turn. This effect is independent from the other trigger effect, so the [Power] increase and the trigger's effect can be applied to two different units if the player wants to, and in any order as the player likes. The icon of the trigger effects is represented by the kanji of its corresponding name, except for the critical trigger, which is represented by a six-pointed star.
  • "Critical Trigger" /: The player chooses one of his/her units and gives it [Critical]+1 until the end of that turn. It is noted by the color yellow.
  • "Draw Trigger" /: The player draws a card. It is noted by the color red.
  • "Front Trigger" : All of the units in the player's front row receive the [Power] increase. This does not count as choosing units. It is noted by the color pink.
  • "Heal Trigger" /: The player chooses a card from his/her damage zone and puts it into his/her drop zone (this action is called "heal"). This can only be done if the player has equal or more damage than his/her opponent. It is noted by the color green.
  • "Stand Trigger" : The player chooses one of his/her units, and if it is a rear-guard, changes it from rest to stand . It is noted by the color blue.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Basically, Vanguards main gimmick is the trigger system. When you do things, you flip over the top of your deck, and if it's a trigger unit, you activate the effect of the trigger,

There are 5 main types, but I can't be bothered to actually describe em so I'll just copy paste from the VG wikia:

Lozenge Magus is a [Heal] trigger unit
"Trigger" (トリガー Torigā) is a card effect included on Trigger Units, which is a yellow-colored type of unit. There are five trigger effects, and all tournament-legal trigger units are grade 0. The trigger icon is located at the top right of the card. During deck construction, a deck must contain exactly 16 trigger units, with a maximum of four heal triggers (even if they have different card names).
Contents
[show]
How it Works
  • A trigger effect only activates while it is in the trigger zone, which is guaranteed by performing a drive check or a damage check, or using an effect which specifically activates a trigger effect. A trigger check is performed by putting the top card of the player's deck into his or her trigger zone, and if that card has a trigger effect, it activates immediately. After resolving all effects activated, if the card is still in the trigger zone, it is put into its owner's determined zone, regardless of whether it has a trigger effect or not.
    • Damage Check: Put that card face up into your damage zone (this is considered as "dealing a damage").
    • Drive Check: Put that card into your hand (this is not considered as "drawing a card").
  • When the player must check for multiple triggers at once, perform each trigger check separately before revealing the card for the next check. For example, if a player must perform two trigger checks and his first trigger check reveals a draw trigger, the player will draw one card before performing the second trigger check.
  • To activate a trigger effect, the player must have at least 1 vanguard or rear-guard with the same clan as the trigger unit.
  • Trigger effects always must be activated if possible. Therefore, if a heal trigger is activated, you must heal one damage if you fulfilled the condition, even if it causes an effect to disappear, such as a [CONT] Limit Break.
  • Each trigger has two effects: A [Power] increase effect and the other one corresponds to its trigger icon. The two effects from the trigger can be applied to the same unit or to two different units, regardless of their clans.
Examples
  • If "Battleraizer" is revealed, and the player only has "Nova Grappler" units present, the trigger effect activates, choosing the rear-guard "Brutal Jack"- Standing it and give it +5000 power until end of turn.
  • If "Grim Reaper" is revealed by "Alfred Early", if the player has a "Blaster Dark" rear-guard, the trigger effect activates since a Shadow Paladin unit is present- giving to "Blaster Dark" +5000 power and "Alfred Early" an extra critical until end of turn.
  • If "Dragon Monk, Genjo" is revealed by "Mr. Invincible", but the player does not have any Kagero rear-guard present, the trigger effect cannot be activated as a result.
Trigger Effects
All triggers share a [Power] increase effect according to their trigger icon (either +5000 or +10000), which lasts until end of that turn. This effect is independent from the other trigger effect, so the [Power] increase and the trigger's effect can be applied to two different units if the player wants to, and in any order as the player likes. The icon of the trigger effects is represented by the kanji of its corresponding name, except for the critical trigger, which is represented by a six-pointed star.
  • "Critical Trigger" /: The player chooses one of his/her units and gives it [Critical]+1 until the end of that turn. It is noted by the color yellow.
  • "Draw Trigger" /: The player draws a card. It is noted by the color red.
  • "Front Trigger" : All of the units in the player's front row receive the [Power] increase. This does not count as choosing units. It is noted by the color pink.
  • "Heal Trigger" /: The player chooses a card from his/her damage zone and puts it into his/her drop zone (this action is called "heal"). This can only be done if the player has equal or more damage than his/her opponent. It is noted by the color green.
  • "Stand Trigger" : The player chooses one of his/her units, and if it is a rear-guard, changes it from rest to stand . It is noted by the color blue.
ok cool but where's devil trigger

D

Deleted member

I've heard the name before. Cardfight Vanguard. Just didn't recognise the gif.
I'm a very slice of life anime fan. And isekai.
Holy ****o, that's a new one.

Anyway, that's Vanguard V, the reboot that started airing bout a year ago. Have you heard of Vanguard's sister series, Buddyfight, thou? I legit would be surprised if you did know of Buddyfight

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Seth revealed for SFV

Looks awesome
Very nice to see another SF villain make it back in.

Seems like SFV is starting to finally wind down in terms on new content and compared to where it started, it's nice to see how it's grown from the uh... lackluster launch to now.

Good to see that the competitive scene kept it alive for long enough to the point where it's definitely improved both roster and gameplay wise.

And as far as Capcom post-SFV? Idk. PS5 is gonna have PS4 reverse compatibility, so this game is still gonna have a scene for quite a while.

And as far as Capcom fighters in the new gen? Idk. Maybe SF6? MvC4? Another Capcom vs series? Capcom has definitely fallen of a bit when it comes to fighting game developers so I'm interested to see what their next plan of action is.

D

Deleted member

in terms of new "vs capcom" games, I always humored the idea of Universal vs. Capcom

strange, I know, but I feel like in terms of companies with a nice set of characters and franchises to pull from, they could be a pretty interesting choice and they could parallel capcom's slate pretty well.

we're talking stuff like E.T., Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Dreamworks Animation, the Universal Monsters, and so on

That and I think we're overdue for another western company to crossover. We need that marvel-esque flair

definitely a weird choice, but I'd love to see it.

Could you imagine Regina from Dino Crisis going up against a Velociraptor from Jurassic Park,?

Or how about Morrigan up against Dracula or Frankenstein's Monster (btw, Darkstalkers was originally intended to be a licensed game based on the Universal Monsters before that idea ended up rejected)?

or hey, we could finally get to see that Mega Man vs Megamind after confusing those two names for the longest time
Illumination Pictures is also owned by Universal, so there’s that.

Dutch Raikuna

Holy ****o, that's a new one.

Anyway, that's Vanguard V, the reboot that started airing bout a year ago. Have you heard of Vanguard's sister series, Buddyfight, thou? I legit would be surprised if you did know of Buddyfight
Nope. I came across Vanguard while trying to look for an anime a friend was talking about. That ended up being Cardcaptor Sakura which is unrelated.
I'm guessing its one of your favourite anime?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Gill's still cooler than Seth. I always dug his aesthetic and Fire/Ice Gimmick. Not to mention his themes.

Guess Seth pulled an Ultron having a female form too. Seems like he still copies Guile's Sonic Boom, or does he copy his current opponent? The female form looks like a weird mix of Chun-Li and Juri. But I think his original form was supposed to look like Abel.

Although now all the main SF bosses are in one game, Sagat, Bison, Akuma, Gill and Seth.

D

Deleted member

Nope. I came across Vanguard while trying to look for an anime a friend was talking about. That ended up being Cardcaptor Sakura which is unrelated.
I'm guessing its one of your favourite anime?
Buddyfight was THE card game anime that started it all, lol.
See my AMA for more details on that story https://smashboards.com/threads/semi-weekly-ama-bakugan2556.494559/#post-23697559

Anyway, I like both games, but Buddyfight is just a little better because I enjoy the anime a bit more.

I highly recommend it, one of my personal favorites. Just... I wouldn't bother going onto it's wiki if you intend to ask questions or socialize....the community as a whole is a cesspool of kids who dunno wtf their doing(granted that's probably the dumb name lmao)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Illumination Pictures is also owned by Universal, so there’s that.
I can guarantee you at the very least Gru or somebody Despicable Me related would be among the roster, no doubt.

may actually try and do a roster for this sometime soon

then again, I said that about the Hasbro Smash I promised months ago, and yeah... I pretty much gave up on that lol. though with cinema being more of my cup of tea, I feel like I may actually be able to get this one done

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I played that all the time in high school, I stopped playing because I live in the middle of nowhere and nobody knows about it here.

Dutch Raikuna

Buddyfight was THE card game anime that started it all, lol.
See my AMA for more details on that story https://smashboards.com/threads/semi-weekly-ama-bakugan2556.494559/#post-23697559

Anyway, I like both games, but Buddyfight is just a little better because I enjoy the anime a bit more.
I've had my interest in card games with Yu-Gi-Oh when I was younger. Do miss it. It's interesting and might have a peek.

Again most of my interest in anime is mostly slice of life or emotional wrecks (Violet Evergarden and Kino's Journey are my two favourites).
How I got into anime I really should share online sometime. Pretty interesting story to tell......hopefully.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Master Chief looks like an E3 moment. If everyone and their boomer moms were making this face over banjo

image.gif

then you best believe that E3 would be getting cops in for noise complaints because you'll be hearing gamer screeches from down the city block just because they put master chief in smash

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I'd love to see a Sega vs. Capcom game. We can already get Sonic vs. Mega Man in Smash (and I'm really hoping that we'll be able to get Dante vs. Bayonetta), but throw in the Sonic and Mega Man supporting casts, Kazuma Kiryu vs. Mike Haggar, Strider vs. Joe Musashi, Morrigan vs. Bayonetta, Hornet vs. Amingo, Captain Commando vs. Alex Kidd, Viewtiful Joe vs. the Gunstar Heroes...
Sakura Vs Saki
Temjin vs Blodia
Axel Stone vs Cody
Alis Vs Hayato
Alex Kidd vs SonSon

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Me seeing the fighting game ideas on my iPad and liking them:

View attachment 253213

Last picture post because of mobile users
But yeah, I can’t help but feel like in some instances no one will be willing to help discuss some of my ideas when they get eclipsed by others bigger than it.

D

Deleted member

But yeah, I can’t help but feel like in some instances no one will be willing to help discuss some of my ideas when they get eclipsed by others bigger than it.
I actually find your ideas for a Sonic fighting game really cool.

More so since I’m kinda tired of everyone around the internet dissing my hopes for MvC4 any time I bring it up.

I do wonder, would you want Arc Systems to make that Sonic game?

D

Deleted member

I've had my interest in card games with Yu-Gi-Oh when I was younger. Do miss it. It's interesting and might have a peek.

Again most of my interest in anime is mostly slice of life or emotional wrecks (Violet Evergarden and Kino's Journey are my two favourites).
How I got into anime I really should share online sometime. Pretty interesting story to tell......hopefully.
May as well branch out, eh? Accelerate(haha good pun am I right?) your interests, so to speak, at least, that's what I did(believe it or not, I used to hate Pokemon because my parents presumably did too :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I love how if you just isolated the audio from the cut scenes of these LEGO Super Hero games and animated them with more realistic character designs, it could be a legit serious superhero film
I don't think modern Capcom could do Darkstalkers justice, unless the game is made with the same team Ark uses for stuff like Fighter z and Guilty gear. That aesthetic is the only way I see a modern Darkstalkers game working.
I'm sure people used to say the same thing about Street Fighter before SFIV. Darkstalkers in 3D could work fine.

Dutch Raikuna

May as well branch out, eh? Accelerate(haha good pun am I right?) your interests, so to speak, at least, that's what I did(believe it or not, I used to hate Pokemon because my parents presumably did too :p)
Who knows, who knows. I'm busy with education and writing a novel and such for now.

Still I admire your enthusiasm in getting others into it. An excellent trait to have. You've piqued my curiosity.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I didn't know there were this many Vanguard gifs.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yes. You didn't answer my question.
I do agree that had Doc been added in Smash 4, he'd be considered an Echo by Ultimate's Standards. But he's got a few main differences going for him that most echoes barring Ken don't have. So it's better than what some might think right away. I think the Link's might have more unique traits among them, like T.Link having a single hit forward Smash and A.Link's new bomb and new normal grabs.

- Forward Smash is Electric instead of Fire, which matters especially for dealing with Olimar's Pikmin.
- Doc's Back Throw is completely different instead of Mario's Giant Swing.
- Pills deal more knockback than Fireballs.
- Down-Air is completely different.
- Down Special is completely different.
- Up Special is a single hit like Ryu's SRK, than Ken's Multihit SRK like Mario has.
- Forward Air doesn't Spike, since Doc has his unique Down Air for that.

This is without getting into speed and jump height, or Doc being a harder hitting Mario in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom