• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Slime Draws Near! Dragon Quest's mascot's SSB4 support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
If anything they'll bring it to Europe and not the US, Europe is the seat of western Dragon Quest support. DQ9 sold 300k in Europe by weak 10, and 'only' 184k in the US, bucking the usual video-game trend. It's balanced out a bit more now, but even so Europe has 650k to the USs 590k by VGChartz.

Moreover there are fewer and fewer games released with only 1 region now, at least purely. Physical releases are often locked, but digital is taking and I'm sure DQ will be available in both formats all around the world.

But yes, you're right, the 3DS games have a great install-base and need JRPGs, DQ7 and DQM both provide this... I also think there's a decent market for DQ10 Wii U given how spaced out the releases are for the console right now... it may not get huge sales, but being an MMO and being patched regularly you can play it to fill time between new games and then SE gets the subscription revenue.

Smady

Smash Master
The only problem with all of the Dragon Quest games is simply the amount of translation needed for hugely text-heavy games. Dragon Quest 7 is notoriously long, necessitating a lengthy translation process, unless they went the lazy Dual Destinies route. If Nintendo was in charge, that obviously wouldn't happen. I can maybe imagine Square-Enix going for it.

I was about to say I can't see a game translated solely for Europe, but then that was almost the case for Xenoblade Chronicles. I don't want digital-only, but it may be the only way for some regions to get the game at all. Before that, any signs of a translation would be nice.

This all reminds me I need to play more of the DS games. I never completed 5.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
True, the translations are insane for DQ, but Bravely Default wasn't exactly light on text, especially if you bothered to read Ringabell's Notebook (like I did)...

I think DQ7 would sell like hot-cakes if it had half the marketing attention given to it as Bravely Default had, and more importantly would bring over a strong brand with a shed tonne of Merch and other games to sell... heck they could release the old DQ games on VC for quick sales no translation necessary off the hype of a major DQ return. While it's arguably a bigger risk, I think the sheer scale of DQ's back-catalogue would make it a far more lucrative venture... especially if they can bring the DQM remakes and MMO over with it... it'd be a big part of every Nintendo Direct for the rest of the year, and probably into next!

I don't think it'll stay Europe only either, but it could be the initial intention... though it won't stay around for long. SE need DQ to be a strong brand really, and even without that they'd surely realise that OpRainfall would look like an April Shower if they didn't bring DQ over to the states.

And yes, go play! :p

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Jello my goo-d friends!

I'm sure I don't need to say it, but the Smash Direct is extremely unlikely to have much effect on Slime. SE have still yet to make an official statement on the return of Dragon Quest, and are likely holding it back for e3... If Slime is to be revealed that is the most likely time for it.

Slime could however be helped by the reduction of competition. Our best bets are to hope for another third party such as Pac-Man freeing up e3 for Dragon Quest hype.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
In all the Direct Hype I seem to have missed some big news guys!

Journey of the Cursed King has just been trademarked!
And moreover it includes "handheld video-game units" in the description

Just in case smash news wasn't enough for you tonight DQVIII iOS might be coming westward! Or even a 3DS/Vita version?!?! No 'might be a DQ' here, this is the most definitive proof something's happening in the DQ camp yet (apart from maybe DQ1+2 ESRB ratings).

Anyways, I'm sure this will be the smallest bit of news tonight, so think of this as the warm-up act for the Smash Direct: Onto the Main Event!

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well another direct without any news on Slime

Oh well that just means they might saving him for another time then ^^

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I said already Slime will probably be saved for e3 if he's in, Square Enix have to make their official announcements about the future of Dragon Quest first, and I think that's likely to happen at e3 at this point (two unknown trademarked, 1 ESRB, 1 trademark for iOS, something's happening back there!). Hold onto hope guys!

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
I have been a big fan of Rocket slime for a long time ... I still have the first game of rocket since I was a child. I do want him for SSB4 but If I kept on saying that people would just get angry and tell me he has no chance, even though I do know he has a chance. Rocket does bring back a lot of good memories and I do support him. And just because you don't see him get announced before SSB4 (3DS or Wii U) get released doesn't mean he is not there, after all there are a few secret characters. and snake came out of nowhere in brawl. So I wouldn't be suprised if Rocket the Slime is the Snake of SSB4. So I hope he makes it into SSB4.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Snake was one of the first reveled character in Brawl... but I do see your point that there was no prior reason to expect him.... that said I think there is reason to expect Slime with the amount of gearing up Square Enix US/Europe have been doing in relation to Dragon Quest... They've gotta be expecting something to make the series popular again, right?

Still nice to have more supporter in the thread!

I have no news on DQ translations to update today, I'm sorry guys, but to make it up to you I shall post some pictures that have just made my twitter feed from otaku idol Nakagawa Shoko-tan:

[Collapse="Shoko-tan's trip to the Dragon quest Café"]

[/collapse]

I so want to go there one day!

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Ah another day passed another slime not shown. Waiting for E3 is gonna be a killer, because at this point its E3 or never.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Not necessarily, it is likely we'll be getting another Smash Direct just before the 3DS release... but it is probably his best shot as it's likely when Square Enix are going to make their big Dragon Quest announcements...

It is a bit nerve-wracking, especially with Pac-Man still unrevealed, but if all else fails there's always the whol Smash 5 thing (expansion pack?) that Namco are already hiring for, so we just have to start a campaign to make sure Slime is that game's Megaman.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
You may notice something different about the title of this thread... and also a few changes to the OP.

Tell me what you think, and if you spot anything that needs changing!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Welcome Aboard!

And with that we have 20 members on the support list!
That's not the most impressive number, but still, it's a nice round number!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Depends what you call best...

For Up-B recovery his only real options come from items in the DQ universe (see Chimaera Wing), but assuming his elasto-blast can be angled and potentially used multiple times he may end up like Yoshi/Jigglypuff and not need it... after all if he can rocket around the stage with his Side-B then he's got plenty of recovery distance. Personally I think that's his best option for a recovery move.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
What's his best option for a recovery move?
There are quite a few ideas they could use:

A possibly obvious one would be having him shape into a slime that can fly like a Halo Slime or a Dragon Slime

Another idea is using the slime stack to propel himself upwards while using fellow slimes as projectiles like in Mario Sports Mix

Or the Chimaera Wing could be used to shoot slime upwards

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I keep forgetting his Sport Mix, yeah, that could work too!
Not sure how it'd fit in with the rest of a move-set, but it'd be interesting to see!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest News Time!

Chapters of the Chosen is now out on iOS and Android
In Japan.

It's the old DS version with the added bonuses of a fast forward function in battle and a quick save feature; it can also be played one-handed.

No news on Localisation, but in porting the lot to mobile they are making a bunch of money, and as they're getting used to the Unity engine they seem to be getting quicker at it...

Ofcourse one must ask what they need all the mobile sale yens for? And I don't have a definitive answer for that, but I imagine we're going to hear about it at e3!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
More news out of Square Enix, but this time not exactly DQ related...

As I'm sure plenty of you have heard Sony have relinquished their 8.25% stake in SE in a deal that net them $47 Million from the Market Makers...

Yeah, I just linked to Forbes for a news story...

What does this mean? Well, likely that SE can further develop and nurture their relationship with Nintendo with titles like Dragon Quest and Bravely Default... not that they couldn't before, but there would be less share-holder opposition than ever before, and moreover this leaves Nintendo in an interesting situation where it could fill that hole quite easily from their $12 billion war-chest... or even potentially buy SE out completely given their $2B market cap (I don't think that's going to happen, but they do have the money to do so).

It's probably too late for this to effect Smash 4 (not that I think Slime really needs the help), but given Nintendo's interest in DQ and BD I could see some financial exchanges happening and some big Nintendo x Squeenix news in the near future.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
DRAGON QUEST XI!

Possibly...

Yuji Horii himself has stated the next DQ game is currently in development, and this implies DQXI... but it might be something else I guess...

The big deal for us however is that Horii wasn't meant to say it... why could that be? Well, I've already said a few places on this board that I'm expecting a large ammount of Dragon Quest from this E3, and I'm specifically expecting a Dragon Quest Direct revealing Dragon Quest VII 3DS, Dragon Quest X Wii U, and perhaps some of the other 3DS spin-offs (Monsters/Rocket Slime 2) [remember those two sub-titles]. This only helps that, as now they have (or more, had) something big to reveal to Japan aswell...

So how does this help us? Simple, what better way to end a Dragon Quest Direct than revealing our beloved Slime in Smash Bros?!

Either way this is huge, HUGE, news for Dragon Quest fans, even if it doesn't mean Slime in DQ... feel free to scream and hyperventilate like I did when I heard this :p.

andimidna

Smash Master
There are quite a few ideas they could use:

A possibly obvious one would be having him shape into a slime that can fly like a Halo Slime or a Dragon Slime

Another idea is using the slime stack to propel himself upwards while using fellow slimes as projectiles like in Mario Sports Mix

Or the Chimaera Wing could be used to shoot slime upwards
Ooh! I like the Chimaera Wing idea!

What systems will it be on? :o

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
What systems will it be on? :o
We don't know at this stage, but the betting man's favorite is the 3DS... Wii U is a possibility and Yuji Horii prefers the system, as is PS4 as it got the highest result on a poll about the preferred system (though that poll was probably botted, and known to have spread across the PS4 boards inflating the score), but since neithe has sold very well in Japan (in fact PS4 has sold abysmally) I think they'll prefer the safer handheld market.

The one thing we know is it won't be on mobile. But that does leave multiple options.

andimidna

Smash Master
We don't know at this stage, but the betting man's favorite is the 3DS... Wii U is a possibility and Yuji Horii prefers the system, as is PS4 as it got the highest result on a poll about the preferred system (though that poll was probably botted, and known to have spread across the PS4 boards inflating the score), but since neithe has sold very well in Japan (in fact PS4 has sold abysmally) I think they'll prefer the safer handheld market.

The one thing we know is it won't be on mobile. But that does leave multiple options.
Where's the poll?
I'd like to see it on the 3ds

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Where's the poll?
I'd like to see it on the 3ds
I'm afraid I can't find the official source any more as it was last year and they've move onto new polls and don't keep a backlog, but here's a news site:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11...s4-8-on-wiiu-1-on-xbox-one-according-to-poll/

It should be noted that Weekly ASCII prefers Sony anyway, and that the 3DS wasn't even put as an option, making the poll basically worthless, but it did make the rounds on the internet so it may have made some stir at Squeenix... however given the PS4 sales in Japan (week on week they've been getting about half what the Wii U did on that same week of it's life-cycle, and a sixth of the 3DS) I doubt it makes much difference either way; pollers might say they want it that way, but most DQ players won't access these sorts of polls.

PS3 may still be an option too I guess, but given the 3DS has outsold it already it doesn't have the install-base as an argument for it unless they're specifically looking for a home console.

PS Vita has neither install base nor tech fans interested, and the Xbox One may as well not be released in Japan as it's not even going to have The Idolm@ster to keep it afloat like the 360 did (since that's jumped ship to PS3).

Last edited:

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
I fully support Slime. I'd like to see firebal/firebane/firebolt as a special move, hearkening back to DWM and DWM2. Although, Square Enix is all about this Dragon Quest Monsters Joker stuff now, so who knows.

Hopefully we'll get our wish and everyone will worship the Slime regardless.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Added!
And welcome to the thread Pokerhappy :).

Given they just released DQM 1 & 2 remakes for 3ds (in Japan, but since I'm fairly certain Dragon Quest it's making it's way westward this year it might not be too long before we can pick it up too) I wouldn't say they're all about Joker at all.. And Slime has so many move options, that unfortunately some of it's bound to be left out, and some of his fans may be dissapointed; but whatever Sakurai, Enix and Namco choose to include I'm sure Slime'll have an amazing and interesting move set that'll get everyone excited!

Last edited:

Pokerhappy

Smash Cadet
I don't know very much about the remakes, but I assumed that they would be in the style of Joker, which I didn't care for at all. Do you know if that's true?

I definitely want to see Call For Help and/or Slimification incorporated. King Slime!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Call for Help is one of the few moves I consider a lock for Slime, any set without it misses the point... especially as Slimes are mook enemies who you fight alot of throughout your journey, especially for grinding purposes... it make thematic sense to be knocking away loads of ally Slimes to kill the playable one!

As for the 3DS games, I'm afraid I don't know, I know they use a more up to date 3D art-style, but being Japan only (for now) and given the 3DS' are region locked I'm afraid I've not tried them...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I have nothing to update you with, but this is my 777th post on Smashboards, hope it brings our favourite little ball of Slime goo-d luck!

Interestingly this is also the Mew post of this thread, #151

Picture added in editing.

And a fitting piece of video to commemorate!

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Another deconfirmation today :c

It's so hard waiting for a 3rd party character because you never truly know if their in or out till a major announcement.

Anyway lets hope Slime hits triple 7s and is lucky enough to make it in.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's so hard waiting for a 3rd party character because you never truly know if their in or out till a major announcement.
Indeed, while we can infer that a major Dragon Quest reveal at E3 means no Slime in Smash Bros, unless Sakurai goes out of his way in an interview to state something we won't get a deconfirmation 'till the game comes out...

On the more positive side he could be in, but then we don't have any clue about that untill E3... It's all a waiting game!

And welcome to The King of Skulls, I've added you to the list :)

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
The more I think about it, the more I think that Slime would be a great character. Add me as a supporter!
He certainly beats any other Square Enix reps and that other gooey blob :mad088:.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Thanks! Hopes that Slime gets some cool alternate costumes, like a mercurial skin. Mmm, mercury.
You mean Metal Slime? or Liquid Metal? I'm not sure he'll be a Palette swap, just beause I could see him being a unique skin for when a Slime activates a Metal Box. It's the sort of reference I could see Sakurai making :p. I also don't think Babble Slime species could be an alt, just because of body shape, but I'd love to see them in somehow too... possibly a special, or as I wrote in my move set a special duck/crawl command.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Slime would be a great character. Add me as a supporter!
He certainly beats any other Square Enix reps and that other gooey blob :mad088:.
Added!

And hey, I like Grimer, or more Muk... I used him in NU... but yes, Slime is much much better!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So, sad news today:

Square Enix considering releasing Dragon Quest X Overseas

You may be thinking how is this bad news at all? But I remind you, that this means one of our trademarks probably isn't DQX if this is truthful. If this is them starting to consider it, that means they wouldn't have made trademarks already, or have it prepared for E3... This was also bought out in a report about the Asian market, and while they didn't state the regions, it could mean there's no consideration for the western market...

But this is only if you take them at their word... Considering FFIV hasn't had a mainland China release yet they could be courting that idea after a western DQX release, or even just be giving non-commital noises to hide the scent before an E3 reveal... But we just don't know, this is the sort of thing Squeenix have been known to do, but it seems odd to do when there's only a fairly small number of us expecting the E3 Dragon Quest invasion...

You'll have to make your own decisions here guys, does this help DQX's release chances, and does this help Slime or hinder him... I'm tending towards hinders unfortunately, but it's certainly not bad news for Dragon Quest fans...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
We are rating Slime in Rate Their Chances tomorrow, will all the recent news make a change to his poor 4.8% chance? Probably not, but I implore you to help spread the word, explain what's happening to the uninformed, and rate away, but honestly!

I'll put it now that I think his chances are 40%, and I'm well above the bell curve. It did just hit over 50% until the recent 'under consideration' for DQX, but that has hit it down...

Keep the dream alive guys!

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
We are rating Slime in Rate Their Chances tomorrow, will all the recent news make a change to his poor 4.8% chance? Probably not, but I implore you to help spread the word, explain what's happening to the uninformed, and rate away, but honestly!

I'll put it now that I think his chances are 40%, and I'm well above the bell curve. It did just hit over 50% until the recent 'under consideration' for DQX, but that has hit it down...

Keep the dream alive guys!
Well hopefully people won't throw 0% everywhere like the last few times. Slime is one of the big 3rd parties from a big company that has close ties to Nintendo and should at least be reconsidered.

With that E3 is coming closer and closer, it's go big or go home for Slime . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom