• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Season 2 DLC Pack (Another 5 DLC Characters)

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Whats your thoughts on this? Could you see Nintendo release second set of five characters? Why or why not?

We have seen other fighting games have multiple seasons of DLC. For example Killer Instinct had 3 seasons, introducing roughly five characters in each one.

If there is a season 2 it will be interesting to see if this time Sakurai calls the shots. Also one must consider games that are currently in their early stages, being released when the second DLC season is announced. For example: Knox from Beyond Good and Evil 2. Or possibly a Zelda character from the rumored Zelda Switch game that might get announced soon. I'm also hoping we see Okami 2 so it can have a rep, same goes with an Ever Oasis Switch port.

Edit: Doom Eternal might help the case of Doomguy as well.

Personally I hope this happens... Especially if the DLC sells well. I know we haven't even received one DLC character currently, but I think it's an interesting topic to discuss.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
According to the data miners, there was 29 open slots available. Nintendo must have been keeping the option open for a Season 2. I think it will depend on how this one turns out.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I want this, especially if wave 1 has mostly third party characters. There's so many Nintendo characters that should be added and only 4 spots in wave 1 mean some will miss out. I personally think its likely to happen but not for a while.

I'd like to see Isaac from Golden Sun get upgraded to playable, of course, or another GS character if for some reason that isn't doable. If Rex and Pyra don't get in wave 1, then the next Xenoblade game will probably be around the corner by the time a wave 2 happens and they'll have missed their chance, but you never know. If a Zelda newcomer isn't in wave 1, I'd like that in wave 2. I could see a Pokemon gen 8 rep missing from wave 1 but being added in wave 2. And finally either Dixie or Captain Toad would be nice, as they seem like pretty notable omissions from the roster.

It all depends who's in wave 1 and what games are significant in a few years, of course.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
I want this, especially if wave 1 has mostly third party characters. There's so many Nintendo characters that should be added and only 4 spots in wave 1 mean some will miss out. I personally think its likely to happen but not for a while.

I'd like to see Isaac from Golden Sun get upgraded to playable, of course, or another GS character if for some reason that isn't doable. If Rex and Pyra don't get in wave 1, then the next Xenoblade game will probably be around the corner by the time a wave 2 happens and they'll have missed their chance, but you never know. If a Zelda newcomer isn't in wave 1, I'd like that in wave 2. I could see a Pokemon gen 8 rep missing from wave 1 but being added in wave 2. And finally either Dixie or Captain Toad would be nice, as they seem like pretty notable omissions from the roster.

It all depends who's in wave 1 and what games are significant in a few years, of course.
I could see a more Nintendo oriented season if Sakurai took control. I'd love to see Rex and Pyra in the game though. Dixie as well. And as stated before a new Zelda character. But with Nintendo picking the DLC, there might be an element of strengthening ties with third-party studios. Oh and another game that might benefit marketing through Smash if it gets a new edition is Fatal Frame.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If we do (and that's a strong if) get a Season 2, I believe Spirits, Mii Costume, and even Assist Trophy promotions will be the frontal point. While I would take a round 2 and even a round 3 (that last one is key for my MW right now), I'm pretty sure that we won't get another set of 5.

But if we do, here's my predictions.

1. Paper Mario
2. Elma/Rex
3. Geno/Lip
4. Waluigi
5. Isaac

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm not going to expect it until they announce it. Better to just think that the one fighter pass is all we get and hope that they announce another one. I'm more leaning to no season 2 since it seems like when Nintendo announces a specific number for their DLC they usually stick with it, like Breath of the Wild. Pair that with how Sakurai seems to want to step away from Smash. At least with paid DLC anyway, the free stuff seems to be less set in stone. So maybe we'll get some free updates, just nothing as substantial as a fighter or a mode. More like new spirits.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
My number one hope if a wave 2 does happen is the promotion of snubbed AT characters to playable especially Isaac from Golden Sun. If wave 1 is catering more to being unexpected I sincerely hope wave 2 caters to fan demanded characters people have been asking for years preferably from the Nintendo side

D

Deleted member

I hope it happens, it's probably the only way Rex would get in at this point

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm not going to say it's not happening, but I don't expect it. It would be nice to get more content for the game over the coming years, but it really depends on how much Nintendo wants to support it. Splatoon 2 and Mario Tennis seem to keep getting quite a bit content well after release, but then you have Mario Kart where barely anything new has come since launch.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Maybe. Maybe not.

It would make sense considering how well the game has sold but Nintendo doesn't always do things that make sense.

Either way its unlikely they have anything planned for a second wave even if they're open to the idea. So they're not going to commit to a 2nd wave or more dlc characters then they currently have planned.

I think more than a year in the future would be too far in advance for them to commit to anything.

zferolie

Smash Hero
A season 2 makes the most sense business wise. Many fighting games already do this. Heck SF is going to have a season 4 soon. So with the long life of the switch ahead, it would be nuts of nintendo not to keep milking that cow.

As others have said though, most likely Sakurai and team are not even thinking about what characters will be in a season 3 or beyond at this time. They are focusing on the 6 DLC(including plant) for this first year. Personally, I wouldn't put it past them actually giving us a few echos maybe for free or seperate from the fighting pass. Maybe tied to games coming out, or something.

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
Personally, I doubt they will.

Let's start with why I doubt they will. First of all, Sakurai has stated many times that he is tired of making these games. He is already pouring in all of his effort to not only finish :ultpiranha:, but to complete Joker and the other 4 characters that have yet to be announced. Also, remember that Sakurai said all the content would be revealed before the game was announced. Now I know he didn't reveal Joker and hasn't revealed the other 4 characters that will be included during the last Smash Direct, but he did reveal the season pass, which has Joker and the other 4 included. If there was going to be a second season pass, it would have been revealed in that direct and would have also been available for pre-order.

Now, if they were to add a season pass, many things would be messed up when it comes to the roster. There are currently 74 fighters playable, with :ultpiranha: and Joker adding 75 and 76. The last 4 characters that have yet to be revealed that are in the season pass make the total number of fighters equal 80. Of course, if we count :ultpokemontrainer: as :007:, :002:, and :006:, we then have 82, but since :ultpokemontrainer: only takes up one spot on the roster, there are 80 fighters on the character select screen when all the DLC is added. 80 is a nice even number, which is what all the other games, except for Brawl, had as well. The original smash had 12, Melee had 26, Brawl had 39 (though it was most likely going to have 40 due to the fact that is was an incomplete game, as evidence by Snake's weird weight classing and other glitches that also commonly occurred), and SSB4 had 58 with the DLC. A break in this pattern seems quite unlikely as Sakurai definitely intends this to be the last Smash game, and would never settle for nothing but the best. Also, Smash isn't the only series that follows the even number of fighters rule. If you look at almost every other fighting game, they all have an even number of characters.

Also, even though Nintendo is starting to become more like the others by having the player pay for online services, I don't believe that they will ever stoop to the level that EA has gone to. I mean, making you pay full price for something because you never had the option to pre-order it just isn't Nintendo's style.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Personally, I doubt they will.

Let's start with why I doubt they will. First of all, Sakurai has stated many times that he is tired of making these games. He is already pouring in all of his effort to not only finish :ultpiranha:, but to complete Joker and the other 4 characters that have yet to be announced. Also, remember that Sakurai said all the content would be revealed before the game was announced. Now I know he didn't reveal Joker and hasn't revealed the other 4 characters that will be included during the last Smash Direct, but he did reveal the season pass, which has Joker and the other 4 included. If there was going to be a second season pass, it would have been revealed in that direct and would have also been available for pre-order.

Now, if they were to add a season pass, many things would be messed up when it comes to the roster. There are currently 74 fighters playable, with :ultpiranha: and Joker adding 75 and 76. The last 4 characters that have yet to be revealed that are in the season pass make the total number of fighters equal 80. Of course, if we count :ultpokemontrainer: as :007:, :002:, and :006:, we then have 82, but since :ultpokemontrainer: only takes up one spot on the roster, there are 80 fighters on the character select screen when all the DLC is added. 80 is a nice even number, which is what all the other games, except for Brawl, had as well. The original smash had 12, Melee had 26, Brawl had 39 (though it was most likely going to have 40 due to the fact that is was an incomplete game, as evidence by Snake's weird weight classing and other glitches that also commonly occurred), and SSB4 had 58 with the DLC. A break in this pattern seems quite unlikely as Sakurai definitely intends this to be the last Smash game, and would never settle for nothing but the best. Also, Smash isn't the only series that follows the even number of fighters rule. If you look at almost every other fighting game, they all have an even number of characters.

Also, even though Nintendo is starting to become more like the others by having the player pay for online services, I don't believe that they will ever stoop to the level that EA has gone to. I mean, making you pay full price for something because you never had the option to pre-order it just isn't Nintendo's style.
I don't think its wrong to think we will get another season pass, or that we may get other characters not tied to it. Every fighting game out right now has multiple seasons, and since we won't get another smash game till the next system, it would be wise to give this game at least 1 more season, plus a few other characters to round out the roster. Heck, we could get a few extra echo fighters to hit an even number if thats just the thing.

Also, there is a different between what Nintendo could do here and what EA does all the time. This smash DLC? its TRUE DLC, what DLC was meant to be: Extra content made AFTER the game is released to add more to it. Sadly, most companies take out EXISTING content in the game to then later sell as DLC. Smash isn't doing that. the 5 in the fighters pass have barely been started, and I feel Piranha Plant was meant to be in the base game but they ran out of time and didn't want to push the game back, so when they realized that way back at the beginning of this year they decided to instead have that be a free extra.

Now, the question is... how will they fit these extra characters in the roster? I did a base mock up with just 3 DLC added to it to show what the screen will look like before it has to be adjusted.

Smash Ultimate first 3 DLC character screen.png

I am still trying to get the size to fit right, but basically if you shrink the character grid somewhere to 93-95% of its original size, you can fit 1 more column in, and then the other 3 DLC fighters will fit in nicely with 3 more slots open. I can post an updated version of what that will look like later, once I figure out the size that works.

So they could fit more characters then the planned 6, but how much more will the roster screen looks too crowded? Or we could just get the 1 season, plus 3 echos to have it be a 83 roster size with 84 slots... which is an ugly number of characters for sure... 2 echos would be 82 and wouldn't be a perfect square, which is probably the best case as a perfect square means an odd number of characters

Still they could shrink it even more probably to fit another column or maybe a full row

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I think you're putting way too much faith in arbitrary digits of the total amount of fighters. No one is going to care "how rounded" the number of fighters is for this game, assuming they even know it. The advertising can totally be like "70+ fighters" rather than specifically "uh, there's 76 characters but within 74 slots also echos can be stacked making that 67 slots where are you going oh, he left". The marketing can't even market a "definitive" number of fighters with that, let alone a round one. Even with the "80 spots" logic, there's still the option whether to stack echos or not, leaving the odd number 73, and that echo-less roster is just as valid! Also this game broke the tradition of "retro Nintendo rep newcomer" if we're going that Smash tradition route lol

Anyway, they were like "we're leaving the opportunity open to add more fighters as paid DLC" with the Fighter's Pass, and they did leave 30 spots in the data meaning there's at least a little consideration for some kind of additional original/echo newcomers, or at least costumes for existing characters if they wanted to do that. And it's financially a good idea for Nintendo. Though poor Sakurai, bless him, seems to want a well deserved break in the near future. I also remember someone saying something about not being able to keep the team on for more than a year with DLC for Smash 4? Don't know if that's accurate or at least meaningful, since there was also Ultimate's development and the Wii U's end to stop the development of that Smash DLC. Also there's the argument that Nintendo wouldn't support this or other Switch games for that long but I don't know, this is Smash we're talking about, not Breath of the Wild or Mario Kart 8. Something PushDustin, guy totally not irritating for our speculation, mentioned on Twitter was the exponential work increase with adding more and more characters in terms of balancing, though I kind of question his reasoning for that being why we didn't get as many new fighters this time around; even with less of a development time for Ultimate (is that accurate?), assuming all the cut veterans had comparable work loads to new characters, our "new character" count for the base game would be like 18 not counting DLC. Smash 4 had 17 not counting DLC! (though 9 of Ultimate's were echos or clones, Smash 4 had 2).

Maybe they'll wait to see how some of this DLC sells before considering other any other fighter DLC and adding even more to this already large, insane celebration of Nintendo and gaming that is Ultimate's roster. Either way, if like, Crash happened to be one of the five DLC, I'll be content anyway lol

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok, i made a mock up of what the character screen should look like after the first season DLC. I use paint so it took longer then maybe others could do with photoshop, and had to get a different picture because that character select hand was gonna make it all look ugly

Smash Ultimate Season 1 final character screen.png

I am assuming the Mii Fighters will always be last on the roster screen. this still looks like a good sized roster screen and you can read everything. Funnily, you can fit 3 more with this layout, and VERY minor shrinking of the grid could fit a full row of 14. Any more then that and I think the screen will look bad.

So In theory, with how the screen is set up, if we get this bottom row filled plus another row(most likely not happening but this is the most possible characters with getting too small) we would have total of 97 characters in this game, plus the 1 random button for a perfect 7x14 grid. Again, thats not happening but its good to imagin that.

If I look at this from nintendo, and strictly business. adding at least 1 season more, MAYBE 2, of 5 characters, and a few echos would work fine and be very profitable. Most likely it will be 1 more season plus some extra echos since they would be easy to make, gonna say 3-5 echos. for a total roster size of 88-90. Any more then that is pushing it but COULD happen depending on if they want to do a 3rd season if its profitable enough and they plan on this being the last big smash for a long time.

zferolie

Smash Hero
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...h-bros-ultimates-development-length-and-more/

In this interview it sounds like the next game might be 10+ years out, maybe more DLC doesn't sound so far-fetched now.
That makes sense. Give poor Sakurai a break, but still support this game for awhile. 2-3 years of DLC sounds right, and like I showed above, in theory you could fit 17 more characters after the 6 we are getting, and any more will make the screen look too small and hard to navigate. 97 characters.... 3 season passes and 7 added echos.... could word... but thats if they want to go all the way. Plus doesn't the data files have character slot data for at least 29 or so?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
That makes sense. Give poor Sakurai a break, but still support this game for awhile. 2-3 years of DLC sounds right, and like I showed above, in theory you could fit 17 more characters after the 6 we are getting, and any more will make the screen look too small and hard to navigate. 97 characters.... 3 season passes and 7 added echos.... could word... but thats if they want to go all the way. Plus doesn't the data files have character slot data for at least 29 or so?
ehh they could always do like they did on the 3DS so I wouldn't put too much stock in the menu.

And the data files were just slots for a menu, so it means if they added less than that they wouldn't have to go back to that string of code and adjust it, it also probably doesn't mean much of anything. Especially since Bowser Jr. uses like 8 slots by himself, so for all we know it just means we're getting another character like Bowser Jr. or even that they were just planning in case they did get one like that. I would also guess they didn't plan to go right up to the limit and instead just put a bunch extra in without going over board so they don't risk running out.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm not going to say it's not happening, but I don't expect it. It would be nice to get more content for the game over the coming years, but it really depends on how much Nintendo wants to support it. Splatoon 2 and Mario Tennis seem to keep getting quite a bit content well after release, but then you have Mario Kart where barely anything new has come since launch.
To be fair the first 2 are new games and the last one is an enhanced port. Considering Smash is more like the first 2 I don't think it's very far-fetched to think it will get more content.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Whats your thoughts on this? Could you see Nintendo release second set of five characters? Why or why not?

We have seen other fighting games have multiple seasons of DLC. For example Killer Instinct had 3 seasons, introducing roughly five characters in each one.

If there is a season 2 it will be interesting to see if this time Sakurai calls the shots. Also one must consider games that are currently in their early stages, being released when the second DLC season is announced. For example: Knox from Beyond Good and Evil 2. Or possibly a Zelda character from the rumored Zelda Switch game that might get announced soon. I'm also hoping we see Okami 2 so it can have a rep, same goes with an Ever Oasis Switch port.

Edit: Doom Eternal might help the case of Doomguy as well.

Personally I hope this happens... Especially if the DLC sells well. I know we haven't even received one DLC character currently, but I think it's an interesting topic to discuss.
I actually don't want to see Sakurai pick any Characters again...

DK and Metroid Fans had to pretty much force Sakurai to do the right thing and include K Rool and Ridley. Us Isaac Fans and also Waluigi Fans will have to do the same.

If a second wave comes, then the chars should STRICTLY be picked from a new ballot. Demanded Characters only, no Plants or Wii Fit Trainers.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I think we will. There's 30 open character ID slots, the Switch is huge right now, they want Ultimate to last, Sakurai jokinglu implied we won't get another Smash for a decade... I think there'll be a 2nd wave of DLC, and possibly a 3rd. To keep the hype train rolling.

And I have hope that the 2nd wave, should it arrive, will be Assist Trophy/Mii Costume upgrades. Some Assist Trophies already can't be summoned on certain conditions (like the Moon Assist on Great Bay) so they could just tweak things to make it so the Assists don't appear when the characters are on the field. If that's the case my predictions are...

1. Skull Kid
2. Shadow
3. Isaac
4. Waluigi
5. Geno

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Nintendo can keep feeding me more DLC packs and most likely I'll gladly by them lol. Nintendo; I've got an expendable income; please take my money.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it would be a Fighter's Pass but rather them just announcing characters individually like Smash 4. This way they don't need to limit themselves and can also end when they think the Roster is good enough.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
To be fair the first 2 are new games and the last one is an enhanced port. Considering Smash is more like the first 2 I don't think it's very far-fetched to think it will get more content.
We're both in agreement there. It's possible to go either way, since there is precedent for either outcome based on their handling of other games. We'll just have to wait and see.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I hope it’s a thing, it should be a thing but Nintendo can be really dumb at times so idk tbh. I think supporting this game till the roster is a little over 100 is the right call, this game should be supported for years with new content

volbound1700

Smash Master
Regarding Screen Size, there is plenty of room for more characters but I do think we won't always be getting stages with the characters.

I am hopeful that the Knuckles and Tails Mii costumes return. That is my number 1 wish list item currently (perhaps stage creator as the second requested item). I would pay for those Mii costume DLCs.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
If the game keeps active, why not? Nintendo has set a precedent of supporting its games with free and paid DLC and updates.

(NSFS) Deathbound

Smash Rookie
Yeah, a Season 2 for DLC isn't entirely impossible. Heck, I won't even say it's unlikely. However there's two things we should be considering: We're way too early in Smash 5's lifespan to make that prediction. Also, remember that Sakurai isn't focused entirely on new characters. I don't want to provide a strong opinion until we see what our first wave of DLC has to offer.

D

Deleted member

I don't care if we get a DLC pass 2 as long as we can get our boi

I'm sorry I meant my bois

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Doubt so. A lot. Most fighting games don't get DLC support for more than a year. Street Fighter V is an exception because they intend to support the game up to 2020 without constant re-releases.
Also, if Sakurai really wants a vacation, then the last thing he should do is work on more DLC seasons.
Plus, imagine just how hard it'll be to out-top a roster with over a hundred characters on it, assuming they'll take all unused slots. I'd rather leave it to one more season after this one.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm thinking that Nintendo would want to support this game long-term, as it would line their pockets with cash. I believe that we are most likely going to get more fighter passes.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Sakurai's own comments support this at this point. Expecting this game to be around for a long time is a good sign of more DLC. It also seems like something corporate would want a lot. If we had numbers on fighters pass purchases (maybe in the quarterly), we could make a better guess.

I am 75/25 on this right now.

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai's own comments support this at this point. Expecting this game to be around for a long time is a good sign of more DLC. It also seems like something corporate would want a lot. If we had numbers on fighters pass purchases (maybe in the quarterly), we could make a better guess.

I am 75/25 on this right now.
Which comments?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
If the first wave of DLC is all 3rd party I really hope we will get additional waves of 1st party fighters.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Sakarai indicated dlc finances were in a good spot right now. If finances were poor, I'd expect more Mii DLC. Good finances indicate they can do more fighter DLC, though I imagine it will also depend on dev time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The fact that development isn’t split between two platforms, one limited in power compared to the other, and that the Switch isn’t a sinking ship like the Wii U was, bodes well for another DLC season I’d say.

Top Bottom