• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Safe Route to Victory Against MK

BVA

Smash Apprentice
The breakdown...

Metaknight is capable of taking over matches by using some of the most frustrating strategies to play against in the game. Ranging from using B (Tornado) to rack up some easy percent to the use of UpB to get an easy kill. Most Marths fear the match-up against Metaknight and a few of us have probably uttered the word "**** metaknights" on occasion. In this thread I am not going to be making our lives easier. I am speaking of course, by using the zoning and playing passive strategy.

In these two strategies, the aim is to keep your opponent at a point where he would have to make the first move. In doing so, you are given a lot of options. Once "Zoning" has been established your position is set, its time to wreck some face. The positioning is very crucial in this match-up, thus making zoning a top priority when facing MK.

One thing about using this strategy is that the game will tend to drag on a bit long. Primarily the reason for this is because you are not the one making the first move. Playing defensively and passively sets you up for positions where you can act accordingly to and punish.

The position of which you stand on the stage is usually underrated. Common sense dictates that by positioning yourself in the center of the stage the knock back of attacks should be less (Obviously). By zoning, in theory you should be able to act on what your opponent does making an impenetrable defense. If somehow the MK is able to get into your zoning and take control of the positioning you have then obviously things are about to get rough.

In my opinion, it is a good idea to keep a calm state of mind. If things get rough, try to recover safely and get back onto the center of the stage and reposition your zoning. This is because, with zoning and making MK act first, you have a better chance of nullifying Mks harsh combos and rack up some percent of your own.

A very important aspect of this MU is that it revolves around your zoning and timing. I believe that your zoning and timing is right you should be able to take out MK easily. By zoning and timing your attacks at the right time, this will frustrate your opponent causing them to attack relentlessly giving you wide openings to punish them.

The second important reason behind playing passively is the fact that you are able to get attacks off successfully instead of attempting to hit MK and getting punished. Playing passively while zoning will allow you to get into openings that your opponent leaves when he decides to strike forward. However, as the skill level of the player increases, a lot of more innovative play styles will be used; so just act accordingly.

-----

Now I will list moves that MK is most likely to do as you proceed to zoning.

*MK dash attacks -- Counter by doing a retreating fair.

*MK grabs down throws -- Counter by doing a retreating fair.

*MK fairs towards you -- Space it out and fair back.

*MK floats above you and uses dair repeatedly
-- Get out of range counter by using a well timed fair or neutral air.

*MK uses tornado -- Counter it, Shield breaker, or simply FF air dodge away and chase to punish.

!Note that all of these counters should be able to be done when zoning correctly.
!Notable thread about zoning : http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288606

-----

***** MORE UPDATES WILL COME SOON! *****

BVA

Smash Apprentice
Can you elaborate on why? Or are you just a troll that has nothing better to do but drop in and leave a negative comment and not explain why...

The more I see certain members reply to threads, the more I lose faith in the smash board community because of incompetent people like you posting.

I'll say it like it is... I actually don't give a **** about what you say. If you were actually someone that is "actually" good and a person that people respect then accept my sincere apologies on my language, but as far as I know you are a no one. (Obviously I would know who you are if you were actually someone). I'm in no means calling you bad; I'm just calling you an ***, a troll, get something better to do son. I'm not trying to come off as an arrogant person or someone that completely knows the MK MU. I am just trying to help Marth players out there that come across difficulties such as this.

P.S Next time take your meds before posting brah.

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
I'm a no one.

But, basically, all you said was "center stage camp". From my understanding, zoning MK is not standing in the center of the stage.

Your strat isn't bad, but I think that putting pressure on MK is vital in this MU.

Then again, I'm a no one.

Rad

Smash Ace
When I first looked at this thread I found it hard to follow, skim read down to the un-inspired bullet points, then left. After seeing the comments left by others I read through the whole thing, but really, you said a whole heap of nothing. Dropping a couple of power words like 'zoning' doesn't constitute an inspired post.

Sorry.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Can you elaborate on why? Or are you just a troll that has nothing better to do but drop in and leave a negative comment and not explain why...

The more I see certain members reply to threads, the more I lose faith in the smash board community because of incompetent people like you posting.

I'll say it like it is... I actually don't give a **** about what you say. If you were actually someone that is "actually" good and a person that people respect then accept my sincere apologies on my language, but as far as I know you are a no one. (Obviously I would know who you are if you were actually someone). I'm in no means calling you bad; I'm just calling you an ***, a troll, get something better to do son. I'm not trying to come off as an arrogant person or someone that completely knows the MK MU. I am just trying to help Marth players out there that come across difficulties such as this.

P.S Next time take your meds before posting brah.

Who I am
Here you go
I had fun in tourneys

A lot of people expand on subjects in a poor manner, where they are simply wrong but try to state things like they are correct.

Seems the people who posted after me actually agreed. Also you likely haven't heard of me because I've been gone for 10 months. Nothing about the games really changed though...same top players, same basic concepts on how to play matchups....

etecoon

Smash Hero
your first link is me saying that half the things you post are ridiculous <_<

I didn't bother reading any of the original posters text because the thread title is ridiculous, I just came here to stalk susa

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
It shouldn't matter if someone is a no one; if they have something actually helpful/useful to say people should listen. Though with that said...

BVA, it's good that you're trying to help, but it doesn't help if what you are doing doesn't help. As previous people have said, the OP is a bit unclear and does not really "say" anything. If you want to write something like this you have to be more specific and get some facts straight...

Also a random correction because it annoyed me:
Common sense dictates that by positioning yourself in the center of the stage the knock back of attacks should be less (Obviously).
The knockback of attacks is unaffected by where your character is. It's the distance to the blastzones that has changed.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Well, I'd say the problem with sharing info on the Marth boards, is that the few Marth players that actually do it right, are major critiques. But I mean, at least it keeps scrubs like me from getting false info. :p

On top of that, imo, Marth is a hard character to explain. Either that, or I just have no idea what the hell I'm doing and get around with complete luck. :D

Top Bottom