• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Quick, Simple, Basic Guide-How To Get Better At Melee (Sticky??)

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Hi, I'm Prince of Fire and have been with the smash community for about a year. I joined right when Brawl was pretty much announced for Dec and was more than excited to see what Brawl held for us.

I went to ONE Melee tourney to get a hold of what the competitive scene was like for Melee and got *****. I was one of those people who thought that if you could wavedash and shffl nairs...you could win. haha

Anyway, a lot of new smashers often ask such questions like:

How do you waveshine with Falco?
How do I DI this attack?
Do you use the C stick for _____?
Is Fox REALLY better than Falco?
Who is top tier?
ETC ETC ETC

Top Tier:

Fox
Falco

High Tier:

Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:

Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:

Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo
This is pretty much the most updated tier list for Melee. Fox, Marth, and Sheik are all up for grabs for the best character in the game.....then it goes Falco...peach...and the rest down is pretty much accurate.

So having seen all of this for about a year and no one ever really addressing this to our new smashers I thought that I would write a little something to help the beginners out there. This is not going to be organized or well thought out...its just a simple quick post to help people.

A-t-t-i-t-u-d-e:

The most important thing. If you just play friendlies and think the game is just fun and such....you'll never develop, it's that simple. If you think "Well, I'll never beat ____ or anyone really good so I will just play for fun." Having this mindset is WHAT IS KILLING MELEE and it is what will kill you from becoming a great player in Melee. I used to think this way and really used to think that I could never grow or ever standout as being decent in Melee...but, I changed my attitude and started practicing...and dedicated more time to the game and I am improving significantly now. I'm not what I would call a GREAT Smasher, but I've improved so much and find myself contending with those who I could not before. Play money matches, go to tournaments, and put yourself in pressure situations. That is another way to get better and get a TRUE idea of where you stand as a player. If you always play for fun and just friendlies, sure you'll definitely improve and get smarter..but you'll grow at a much FASTER rate with playing with someone who is better than you.

There are only two forms of matches that mean anything in the single competitive aspect of Smash. Money Matches, and tourney matches.

Here is some footage of me when I first joined the community....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjpN190o1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf9UJLMUUdM
(disgusting horrible rolling habits)

And here I am now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ck89JT5x0

I improved. :)

PLAY THE GAME:
Yes, its that simple....play the game and experiment while playing people whether its someone who ***** you all day...or someone who you destroy. Experiment with new things, try new attacks, and just play.

Dropping Habits:

One of the hardest things to improve upon and notice in your game is HABITS. A lot of new players will have the habit of rolling away from the edge once on the stage when recovering....get rid of it. Also, you may find yourself teching the same direction all the time....stop. Find your habits or let someone point them out to you....and get rid of them.

Quick tip-If you are having trouble with the placement of your floor techs simply hit L or R (whatever you use) and quickly hit back and forth on your analog stick so you randomly go in a direction....so its basically random all the time and you dont ever have to think. (Thanks Brookman for helping me out with that) The only problem is, you just have to think more quickly when you get up because you will be randomly placed....you get used to it though.

Use The C Stick:

Get into the habit early of using the C-stick. If you DO NOT like the C stick...at least use it for your up and down aerial attacks. Try to go sHFFL a marth uair with the A button and tell me how that pans out VS using the c stick. Or, get on a ledge with Falco and try to dair while trying to get back onto the stage with the A button....then, try the C stick. If you are not convinced that you should use the c stick for those two aerials now...you'll never be good at this game. Some people use the cstick for fairs....some dont. Some people use it only for certain attacks with particular characters. (I find I do.) It really is all preference, just find what works for you! If you main Marth...just use the C stick for your fairs at least...it makes spacing much easier.

The Computer:

Playing the computer to try and improve is beyond a horrible idea. Don't ask why, just dont play the computer for working on your mind games. However, it IS A SMART IDEA to play the computer on level 4 (The best DI) if you are working on combos, L/R cancels, wavelands, waveshines, techs, (go to hyrule temple at the bottom) moonwalking, and other misc tech skills that are in the game.

Play People Who Are BETTER Than You:

If you play scrubs and people you always beat...how are you going to improve? You wont. You must also play DIFFERENT people. You could go play someone like Cactuar or even Chu Dat...but you will not learn everything. Unlike Brawl, EVERY SINGLE PERSON has their own unique style and approach in Melee. Some Falcos laser camp better than others, some falcos excel at Fsmashing, some Fox's waveshine incredibly, some Fox's do more dash attacks into other moves, some never miss that uair, some drill shine to running u smash....there is more style to each character. Every single person has their own style. Thats what I like about Melee most. :)

Patience:

Being good at Melee (or smash in general) means that you have to be able to know when to stop being aggressive. You have to know when to stop, slow down, and think! So many players just run around..move around....tech and do all this crazy stuff but they never slow down...stop...and WAIT. Waiting is what a lot of nooby players have trouble with.

Quick tip-
If you're having trouble being patient....USE ROY. YES, Roy is a BAD character but using him will teach you to be more patient and slow down. Seeing as Roys combos are extremely horrible you have to rely more on a good tech chase and throw and patient edge guarding game. Roy will make you a better tech chaser and develop you into more of a patient player. Once you've learned how to pick people off with Fsmashes....just drop him because he sucks :)

Character Selection:

Pick 1-2 characters to focus on....no more....no less. The reason for this is you want to get used to your mains before you go exploring and getting used to characters different fall speeds, ending lag, recoveries, projectile game, etc. Keep it simple first...dont go crazy.

Personal Advice:

Listen to what other people tell you to do. If someone says "You should be DI'ing this way..." or "When you're edguading ___ you need to _____" Listen to them. They know what they are talking about and such.

Throws:

You NEED TO KNOW your characters throws! Throws are one of the most important aspects to playing Melee. Some characters can chain throw (Iceys, Marth, Sheik, Mario, Ganondorf,) and some characters have a really nice tech chase game (Marth, Captain Falcon, Roy) that can allow you to lead to more throws, or a nice combo. A lot of combos in Melee stem from throws, learn your characters bes throws and know when and how to use them.

The Stages:

Make sure you also play ALL of the stages. Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshis Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams, Kongo Jungle, Corneria, Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise, MAYBE Green Greens, Mute City, Dreamland. You want to do this because you need to get a feel for where you perform your best. If you main Marth you better do well on Battlefield and Yoshis Story...otherwise...dont plan on making him your main :) No single tourney match or Money Match you play is just going to be all Final Destination on that flat ground. Get used to working with platforms and avoiding things while you fight, its part of the game.

Repetition:

Never do the same thing over and over and over again in a match. A good player can read your mind like a book as it is....so try not to make it too easy for him, eh? A lot of good players know exactly when you are going to do something AND how. Do not just short hop or shffl the same attack alll match....you will pay. Mix your game up and always throw them something different. Even by changing it up and doing something really stupid can sometimes catch someone off guard. Now, I dont recommend running around and spamming GAW hammers or just spamming Marth fsmash....but yeah, i think you get the point. Stupidity works sometimes, but...only every now and then.

Video Footage:

You're also going to want to watch LOADS of video footage on your mains. If you're a Peach main and you're having problems fighting Marth go watch videos of Cort on youtube....watch him play different Marths and take a look at how he approaches. The same goes for if you main Marth....watch Ken and M2K and see what they do against particular characters. Nine times out of ten you will not be able to do EXACTLY what the pros do, but you can get a general idea of what you should/can be doing in the matchup. Watching footage is a good idea. A good example may be something that Cort often does when he plays Marth. Usually he'll grab you, fthrow and then follow that with a d tilt due to its speed. Try doing that...it can often lead into a good position to edge guard with marth if they are near the edge.

Quick Tip-If you're having difficulties on edge guading a particular character......watch footage of your character against the character your having trouble with on different stages. You get the idea...

Mindset:

Ahhhhh...the best for last. With each and EVERY SINGLE match you play always remember to keep the right mindset and be calm and relaxed. Every single person you play can beat you and WILL if you dont play with the right mindset. If you think "Well, hes a noob so i can slack a bit and still beat him." then you will most likely lose that match.
Just watch this---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9khDedACgY
It explains everything perfectly.

game set

Smash Apprentice
actually try to get better and you will, there is literally NOTHING that is impossible without natural skill. So practice, learn more about the game, and think intuitively.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
actually try to get better and you will, there is literally NOTHING that is impossible without natural skill. So practice, learn more about the game, and think intuitively.
Actually, some things are impossible with natural skill. Create some matter for me pl0x.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
After playing for negative 1 years you got worse?

but good information.... you may want to elaborate on how to watch videos....
The way I see it is:

Combo vids only help once you develop your own style, because you must remember this game isn't about just comboing people. But once you know how you play, you can start using those new falcon combos you saw or something...

Matches are the most important to improving as you can see what people are doing. Try and see if you would have done something different from what the players did. If you would have, reason it out why you would have chosen a different approach/combo finisher/etc.

Someone watching combo vids and tech skill showoff vids all the time may be lead into bad habits involving bad approaches and being ***** by the same combos again and again.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Practice all the way. Level 1s, please. I didn't learn that Level 9s taught you bad habits until later. Nothing beats human competition. Play friends whenever possible.

Grunt

Smash Master
how so? It's pretty legit, I mean, SHFFLing is pretty easy to learn and put into your game.

person701

Smash Journeyman
A good decent starting ground for beginners. Some things here and there can be replced by other's opinions but overall, a good start.

Btw, I couldn't watch but 1 minute of each of your vids. You could've had 2 stocks with in the second one >.< Play on that edge and let no one get to it man!

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
actually, i hate to point this out PoF, but watching those two vids I notice you seem to still make alot of the same mistakes >.> You don't play the ledge aggressively enough, your movements are slow and predictable, mostly walk, wavedash, attack, walk again. Your spamming moves that shouldn't be spammed, Fsmash is good, but only if you space well and Neutral B is ok as an edge guard, but it doesn't lead into anything >_> Your recovery game is rather basic too, your just trying to make it back to the ledge rather than attempting to outsmart your opponent. Your not using your broken *** grab range to its fullest and you seem to be avoiding the Fair(arguably marth's best and most versitile move)

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
Getting beat by a Ness who doesn't WD or L-cancel, and tries to PK flash you when you're in easy edgehog range--- is not improvement.

And saying that people that go just to play friendlies for fun is killing the Melee community doesn't make any sense. I'd rather play Melee friendlies than give up and switch to Brawl just cuz I can't place in a tourney yet.

Edit: The short-hop shieldbreakers were hilarious though thanks for that

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I don't think he was trying to prove that he was, in fact, 'good.' But, instead, he was trying to prove the fact that he actually improved. I think it's clear that his tech skill had gotten better in the time between those videos.

Don't hate, appreciate.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Wow, haha I flipped the two links around.

The NESS fight is FIRST

the MEWTWO match is 2nd----johns

No, im definitely not a REALLY GOOD player or anything epic...but I'm improving and it makes me smile.

In regards to shffls-for some mystical reason I can shffl better with my Falco and Roy (Yes, I use Roy and GAW....nairs are too good. :) ) than I can with Marth. Its weird, some days my tech skill is really good...others its par.

Nevermind, thats not weird...everyone's like that.....

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Prince of Fire: You need to move more with Marth. You're just standing still trying to hit with as many Fsmashes as you can until you do sheildbreaker edgeguards. You need to grab more, learn to SHFFL, and dashdance more. You should be much more aggressive than you are at the moment. If they're off the ledge, don't let them get back on. You shouldn't have had to wait until 181% to kill Mewtwo on that first stock. Also, use Fair more. Learn the difference between tipped and non-tipped Fairs and use that to your advantage.

Just some friendly advice from a fellow Marth main :)

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
actually, i hate to point this out PoF, but watching those two vids I notice you seem to still make alot of the same mistakes >.> You don't play the ledge aggressively enough, your movements are slow and predictable, mostly walk, wavedash, attack, walk again. Your spamming moves that shouldn't be spammed, Fsmash is good, but only if you space well and Neutral B is ok as an edge guard, but it doesn't lead into anything >_> Your recovery game is rather basic too, your just trying to make it back to the ledge rather than attempting to outsmart your opponent. Your not using your broken *** grab range to its fullest and you seem to be avoiding the Fair(arguably marth's best and most versitile move)
I can explain the slow movements due to a REALLY FUNNY story.

The other night I got really piss *** drunk with a couple of smashers from my area and me and SPAWN just walked around with Marth in teams and just f smashes THE ENTIRE MATCH. Literally, the only other thing we did was recover and do an edge hop aerial....thats it. We won a good 5-6 matches in a row and ever since that night...i still have that habit a little bit. In about a week it will go away...but it was soooooo funny and so much fun. Captain Morgan is the ****.

Thanks for the tips actually. In this match I FAIR a LOT MORE....because like you realized...I also realized that I wasnt using one of his best attacks...hence wy I used them the most in the third match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4lEUoEOrzs&feature=related

but yeah...I fair...but that neu b wavedash to dtilt was killing me because I knew that if i got hit with the neu b he would punish me. The nair for Marth comes out a lot quicker than his fair so I thought that if i could get him off the stage I could just simply my strategy to forward smashes...hence why I picked FOD (he banned Yoshis story and i banned BF cause of the Mewtwo glitch) I feel that at FOD its the second easiest place to get off fsmashes for marth. They might not be auto-tippers...but due to the low platforms...and how HUGE mewtwo is...hes an easy target.

I also NEVER really fight ANY MEWTWOS so I was unsure how to approach him.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Prince of Fire: You need to move more with Marth. You're just standing still trying to hit with as many Fsmashes as you can until you do sheildbreaker edgeguards. You need to grab more, learn to SHFFL, and dashdance more. You should be much more aggressive than you are at the moment. If they're off the ledge, don't let them get back on. You shouldn't have had to wait until 181% to kill Mewtwo on that first stock. Also, use Fair more. Learn the difference between tipped and non-tipped Fairs and use that to your advantage.

Just some friendly advice from a fellow Marth main :)
Read my above post about the movement speed and the f smashes....

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
This thread is cute and all, but man, I hate to be an *** on the internet, but you really should've thought to yourself about making this thread. You have made some improvement, which is nice but like, I think thread-making and giving out suggestions on how to get better is something you should not be handing out, and something you should still be looking into.

You seem to be on the right track, you just need a lot of work lol.

darkatma

Smash Hero
i think classic case of improvement should be scar
just look at his vids from a year or so ago, he sucked balls and lost to zeldas
now he beats wife and other good players and can take matches off eggm

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Another important thing to do is to play people who are BETTER THAN YOU. If you play scrubs and people you always beat...how are you going to improve? You wont. You must also play DIFFERENT people. You could go play someone like Cactuar or even Chu Dat...but you will not learn everything. Unlike Brawl, EVERY SINGLE PERSON has their own unique style and approach in Melee. Some Falcos laser camp better than others, some falcos excel at Fsmashing, some Fox's waveshine incredibly, some Fox's do more dash attacks into other moves, some never miss that uair, some drill shine to running u smash....there is more style to each character. Every single person has their own style. Thats what I like about Melee most. :)
This is incorrect. People who play me have the opportunity to learn everything as my knowledge of the game is perfect, as is my knowledge of different styles of play, and the ability to imitate those styles of play. (I am amazing.)

The only thing I will never teach people is how to play like me. :laugh:

(I'm mostly joking. It is seriously a lot easier to learn from me than from most other players as I encourage thinking while playing, while so many new players are so focused on tech skill and stupid tricks. Solid and smart play is the best early style mold to have for any new player. Tech skill will come with time, and help define your own unique style later on.)

i think classic case of improvement should be scar
just look at his vids from a year or so ago, he sucked balls and lost to zeldas
now he beats wife and other good players and can take matches off eggm
This is actually a good example. I'll give you one guess as to who taught Scar how to be awesome. (I'll give you a hint. It was me.)

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Cactuar.. I had to leave right as you and PC brought Brawl out at Chu's final bi-weekly >.>

I wanted to play you in a Marth ditto lol. Oh well.

Melee is amazing. Go to tournaments and you'll get better. It's pretty simple.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
This is incorrect. People who play me have the opportunity to learn everything as my knowledge of the game is perfect, as is my knowledge of different styles of play, and the ability to imitate those styles of play. (I am amazing.)

The only thing I will never teach people is how to play like me. :laugh:

(I'm mostly joking. It is seriously a lot easier to learn from me than from most other players as I encourage thinking while playing, while so many new players are so focused on tech skill and stupid tricks. Solid and smart play is the best early style mold to have for any new player. Tech skill will come with time, and help define your own unique style later on.)

This is actually a good example. I'll give you one guess as to who taught Scar how to be awesome. (I'll give you a hint. It was me.)
I like you and your attitude! I've been playing with Mogwai recently down in CT and he plays with you and such...and he ***** me and such....because he plays(ed) with you and such. haha

You should come to my next tournament here in CT Long Live Hit Stun II. I'm sure Gizmo is coming....would love it if a fellow Marth main came down.

-POF

Scar

#HarveyDent
Wow with that hint Cactuar... Was it Azen?
No, it was mostly Cactuar.

p.s. I agree that attitude is the single most important thing a player needs to succeed in the extremely competitive Smash community. The second most important thing is a diverse group of players of varying skill levels in your immediate community... which is admittedly hard to find now.

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
I think the point of this was to help get better at melee, & this has helped me ty

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Wow, not to give out advice like everyone else but, jeez. Get that edgeguarding up to par, son! There must've been 6 times where your opponent was off the stage when I was screaming at my computer "GO GET 'IM!"

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
True. Competitive smashers will take you to the next level. The only way to get better is to get owned. I remember my 1st 1 on 1 with another competitive player. We played no items,... well, you know the rest. He taught me to put aggression into my game. The result was an embarassing JV3 stock, but that loss told me what I was missing.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
so many new players are so focused on tech skill and stupid tricks. Solid and smart play is the best early style mold to have for any new player. Tech skill will come with time, and help define your own unique style later on.
So you're saying you should develop your mindgames and stuff before you've got good tech skill?
I've always thought its better to first perfect your tech skill so that you're able to do everything you have to do during a match. And develop the other things of your playstyle later on... Knowing what to do won't help much when you can't do it, you know?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
So you're saying you should develop your mindgames and stuff before you've got good tech skill?
I've always thought its better to first perfect your tech skill so that you're able to do everything you have to do during a match. And develop the other things of your playstyle later on... Knowing what to do won't help much when you can't do it, you know?

I made a post on this a long time ago. There are several problems with developing tech skill at a rate much higher than your actual awareness of the game.

People that develop tech skill prior to really understanding a lot about the functions of that tech skill in player vs player situations tend to try to do things that don't really work in the situations that they are using it in, as well as leave them in very vulnerable positions.

There are a lot of players out there that I feel have screwed themselves over because they have trained a lot of things into their tech skill that don't work in their playstyle. To undo this kind of muscle memory and habit takes a significant amount of time and another player who has sufficient knowledge of the game to recognize this kind of problem.

Working on tech skill for so long makes you develop habits. Habits which players like myself will spot and use to remove many many stock from you over a long period of time. If you spend the time and develop yourself into an attentive and adaptive player prior to really aggressively working on your tech skill, you will function a lot better overall, and have a much greater overall knowledge of the game, allowing you to change your playstyle effectively to counter other people learning your style. (Note: Some people call me out for sandbagging in friendlies, when really I am learning their style using a much less effective form of my own style which is much better for seeing what people's habits are.)

The thing about learning what to do first, is that you can learn the tech skill to implement it and actually spend time developing it into your playstyle. Having immense tech skill first makes players have ADD as far as their playstyle goes because they have so many options they can try to add and end up being subpar in all of those things because the variety is too large.

I was never a very tech skill oriented player. The things I chose to develop became so incorporated in my playstyle that people think I am technical, when I really just rotate between doing a handful of things that I am near perfect at.

tl:dr endnote

You can choose to do whatever you want really. One of the best parts of Melee is that you can choose to develop yourself however you want. All of this is just my opinion, but it is also what helped me get good as fast as I did, without really spending time practicing, and it has also helped make the people I play with immensely better as a result.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Nice read cactuar, very good post and I think I see your point.

If I undersood you right, you're saying that learning to many technical tricks won't help you as much as you might think, because you don't even know how to apply them, and you might even try to apply them in the wrong way. Knowing how to do something won't help if you don't know when to use it. :p

Example: Perfecting nair->nair->nair combos with falcon won't help you much for many reasons.... first of all, nair->uair->whatever is easier to do therefore more reliable. Also it might be just as effective, or even more effective since it's not as easy to DI away from. Also, even if you didn't have the tech skill to do the most effective (whatever that might have been in that situation) and you messed up/they got out earlier than you might have wanted, you still did damage and you should be happy with that.
But above all, it's way to situational to "go for" all the time. if you're thinking "all I need to do is uthrow them then tripple nair->double knee him and I'll win" you're going to be focusing on the wrong things. You should be thinking "all I need to do is to hit him while not getting hit and I'll win".

I understand that this type of tech skill practice is uneffective and even bad, but I'm more talking about tech skill practice focused on perfecting the things that you "need" to know/be able to do.
Such as practing shffling against shieldhitstun so you don't get shieldgrabbed... being able to DD and WD precisely in the patterns you want to and having full control of what you're doing to, etc.

That's the kind of tech skill practice im doing right now (the later one, ie perfecting things I need to be able to do)... Do you think this is bad/develops bad habits as well?

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
wahdooyah mean melee isnt played for fun? its always been about fun.
No, thats not what I said/meant. I'm saying that if you truly expect/want to get better....you need to play more than just your set of everyday friendlies. You need to play with people who destroy you, you need to go to tournies, play money matches, actually THINK while playing and not worry about insane ken combos, how good your pillaring looks, etc

Melee is arguably one of my favorite games of all time and I have SOOOO much fun playing it....but part of that fun is the dedication that is put into the game and the achievement you feel after learning something like a new combo, a new technique, a unique characteristic about a character, how to DI away from an attack that always used to bother you, etc

Did I mention that Melee is on the verge of making a comeback? Because it is....

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192799

I'd love it if some of you guys attended. :)

Scar

#HarveyDent
Example: Perfecting nair->nair->nair combos with falcon won't help you much for many reasons.... first of all, nair->uair->whatever is easier to do therefore more reliable. Also it might be just as effective, or even more effective since it's not as easy to DI away from.
lmao That's the first thing I learned how to do... thx AngeloBangelo. =/

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Well looking at you today it didn't seem to do you any bad learning nair->nair combos first. lol :p

Anyways, what I was saying was that tech skill practice hurts if you don't know how to use that tech skill in a real match... Especially if you just go or it anyway. And it can also make you go for technical stuff to much and focus so much on that so that you lose focus on what is actually going on in the match.
But just perfecting different standard ATs like shffls or waveshines or whatever won't really have the same effect (I think).

Top Bottom