• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Quick, Simple, Basic Guide-How To Get Better At Melee (Sticky??)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Blah, I typed up a nice paragraph, but it was mostly focused on ways I used to practice with Fox.

Standard stuff like shffl timing or movement is generally good to practice. That is the kind of stuff that improves overall fluidity and timing assuming that you keep in mind to keep trying to shift your timings so that they are closer and closer to frame perfect. People tend to forget that they are trying to improve their play when they are practicing and start mindlessly playing, getting themselves in bad habits, such as patterns and getting too used to not hitting things in their shffls, causing them to miss L cancels in real matches.

My own preference, based on my play style, was to practice my movement constantly. From the beginning, I recognized that I didn't really like comboing that much, so I put a lot of my focus on learning movement techniques and experimenting with different patterns of movement as well as the effect they had on pressuring an opponent's movement. End result is that I'm good at controlling space and pushing my opponent into awkward situations (a lot of this is just me standing still and looking at them :laugh:), as well as getting in individual hits without getting punished.

I'm like, real hungry and I keep losing focus on what I'm saying. I'm gonna go eat something. :laugh:

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
BPeople tend to forget that they are trying to improve their play when they are practicing and start mindlessly playing, getting themselves in bad habits, such as patterns and getting too used to not hitting things in their shffls, causing them to miss L cancels in real matches.
LOL thats one of the first things I noticed when I first learned shffling. hitlag can mess up your timing pretty bad.
Ya you can also get bad comboing habits, so you start doing stupid combos that sometimes aren't really combos (ie they can jump away) and/or are retardedly easily escaped with decent DI.
But if you're aware of that you can stop these things from becoming habits and go back to practicing the things you should be practicing
anyway, thnx for the advice and stuff :)

Top Bottom