• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A quick guide to your tools: "What Controller style do I use?"

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I doubt this may change anyone's opinion on controllers, but here goes nothing:

I'm so tired of hearing "What controller do I use?"

Everyone these days is concerned mostly about what character to use. But what good is a character if you aren't comfortable using your controller? If you have to reach too far to get a specific button, you may not be able to rise as high as your potential.

Ok, everyone knows about characters and tier lists and all that great stuff. How it makes the game, breaks the game, and runs all of it. But...when Brawl was released, it brought a new era of Smash in more than just new characters and stages.

It brought us four different controller types. Something you don't see often in a game...it also gives almost full customization of the buttons on these controllers. I believe utilizing the buttons on a control type unlocks the full potential of someone's skill.

Now, I understand some more skilled players probably already know these, or have worked into a groove well enough to not need to change, but some newer players may want to consider this, as well as finding a main.

Button Setups

Gamecube Controller

Now, there is one controller that is prominently used...I've seen it 90% of the time, whether I was at a major tournament, or just a group match, and that is the Gamecube controller. But, why the cube controller?
1) The controls matched Melee
2) No syncing/battery
3) C-stick/Z-button
(My theory, anyway. Seems like the most obvious things, but I may have missed some stuff.)

There are plenty of common button setups for the cube controller, too:

[Default]

Generally everyone's standard. No gimmicks here, just going with what has always been there.

[L-Jump]

Since people may use R for shielding, they can use this and have easy access to their Standard and Special attack, without switching their thumb to a jump button.

[C-Stick specials]

I think I read somewhere that specials can be used for fast combos, and setting C to them is the most effective way to do it.​

If you have a control type not listed here, and reasons that it's efficient, PLEASE give it to me! I hardly know this controller, and how to use it well.

Wiimote+Nunchuck

Now...the second most common type. And my personal use, the Nintendo Wii Remote+Nunchuck! Why use this, though?
1) The button placement
2) You can rotate the stick, mash cand z, mash dpad directions and b when trying to get out of grabs. I'm not going to go and say you'll do it faster(It probably does) than a gamecube controller, but I will say it's easier.
3) Something about SDI as well, I think the cstick has to return to neutral for each SDI input? dpad auto neutrals after every input release.

Here are some for the Wiimote+Chuck:

[Default]

This isn't bad, but it lacks a c-stick and grab button equivalent, meaning you may not be as fast as others.

[D-Pad Smash]

This was the first special set I learned. Setting the D-pad to smashes gives the equivalent to the cube's C-stick.

["Taunt" grabs]

This is only practical if you have your D-pad to something else(or personal prefrence), because the default has left and right on the pad set to grabs.

["Taunt" grab + D-Smash]

This is an example of combining some, to get full use. It's also what I'm currently using :p I utilize most of the controls in specific situations. If I am going for a CG, I will use my 1 button, because the speed. But if I am shield grabbing, I use Z+A.​

Same applies to this, if you have something I don't, tell me.

And if anyone uses anything advanced or customized on the Wiimote alone, or the classic controller, PLEASE tell me. I can't see anyone using these effectively, but if you can, kudos to you. Show them to us.

Special Controls

Tap Jump: This is a case of personal preference. Personally, I prefer the air tap jump off, because I can get to my up tilt fast. I also tend to accidentally jump, and that would be disaster. Also, if I use a button to jump, I can be holding a direction on the control stick and be already moving.

Shake Smash: I don't like this, personally. I might accidentally shake the controller and be punished for stupidity. I used it for maybe 20 minutes, and found it only useful if I panic and spammed smash. (But there may be near-perfect DI.)

Ok, if anyone has anything to add or correct, please do so, and I will get on it. Also, I apologize for the crap quality pictures.

Wingless

Smash Cadet
There was obviously a lot of thought put into this.
I understand the point of customizing your controller to best fit you, but…

Personally, I don’t think I’ll ever make the switch to the wii controller. It honestly just seems to be too much of a hassle. Though, having specials on the C-Stick would be useful...everything seems to be easily accessable to me. I wouldn't want to change it and screw myself over.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
afaik, setting a dpad direction to special will only make you neutral special when you press it, not 'whatever direction' special like the c-stick set to specials does. Why not just set grab to 1? this way you get taunts and a grab button. Don't forget about A+B either. For example, pulling a grenade with b and holding it, then pressing a without releasing b will make you drop the grenade and grab.

Pros for Wiichuck

1) You can rotate the stick, mash cand z, mash dpad directions and b when trying to get out of grabs. I'm not going to go and say you'll do it faster(It probably does) than a gamecube controller, but I will say it's easier.

Something about SDI as well, I think the cstick has to return to neutral for each SDI input? dpad auto neutrals after every input release.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Gamecube controller while playing claw > L-jump

Gotta love claw
I set my Y to Special on the GC controller and that's the only thing I change. That way I can do stuff like short hop triple laser with Fox, short hop double arrow with Toon Link, etc. etc. without having to "claw"
Sliding my thumb from X to Y or X to A is really easy. It's the only control change I need :D

:bee:!

Make sure you cover the wiimote-without-nunchuk because everyone knows it's the most pro way to play.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Do u think all controller types will be use at mlg??? I play with a gc but I also like my classic controller. I know in the past mlg hates wireless controller use.

oldhat

Smash Rookie
I think you want shake smash on with the wii mote/ nunchuck setup. There was a thread awhile aback about using shake smashing to have near perfect di. imo that's the only reason to ever use that setup.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
the only things i change with my controller set up is

X and R to grab. i've never liked using Z. makes DACUS easier for me anyway.

and when i use Ganon/Falcon i use R for jump to make auto canceling their Dairs easier.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Wow...wasn't expecting such a response. Sweet! I had no idea about all this, I thought I was the only one who thought "in depth" about controllers. But a lot of those are really amazing.
I can't respond to all of you at once, but

@SummonerAU: Thank you for those tips, you have a point. ^^ Especially the D-pad special(My bad! ^^'). But I have all taunts set to grab right now because I'm still learning where the button would be, and I don't want to miss it and taunt instead.

@Asdioh: Your last sentence was a joke, right?

@oldhat: You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you? I would love to see it/post it here. I'm about to go look, but who knows...

I also am going to make the formatting better, it's kinda clutttered.

Wingless

Smash Cadet
Dear Lord! Switching stupid 'Y' to a special would be amazing! Why did we not think of that?
Would solve my ********-self anyway...
Though, I was thinking about it...I doubt MLG would ban a certain control setup. That would be just borderline ridiculous.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but MLG has never allowed wireless controllers for anygame. They r banned for halo and for gears. Plus they add a tad of delay where has having a wired controller has a faster response. I guess well see. I use GC controller and classic, but I actually prefer the classic now.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Tap Jump allows for easier(and arguably more reliable) meteor canceling.

Why the hell does everyone keep forgetting this?

Also for the most part, only bad people can't utilt with tap jump. It's the same as a dtilt, but upwards. <<

The real reason people should be considering turning it off is either if you main Yoshi or are having trouble with DACUS. :\

edit: or if your controller is broken from playing too much Melee

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
A lot of people use the jump button they don't use for Grabs or specials for the GC.

Thats all I can think of ATM.

Manafii101

Smash Rookie
I use the Classic Contoller becaousse it has a more responsive C-stick, it's eay to short-hop with the x/y buttons and it's got the most buttons, whcih give the most possible permutations and therefore the most customizable gaming experience.

xxpikalexxx

Smash Rookie
I second that for the classic. Plus, (this is gonna sound weird but...) the classic just feels more natural to me then the GC. I mean sure, I won't be that good at Melee when I'm feeling a blast from the past, but hey, I'm playing more brawl anyway.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Classic Controller Pro anyone? Like GC but with two shoulder buttons on each side instead of one, what people have been screaming for since GC came out?

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
Personally I use the GC Controller where my Y-button is set to shield, tap jump off and thats IT!
The reason for y-button shield is because I dont like pressing the shoulder buttons aaall the way down to the click (where in melee you just had to press it lightly)

Top Bottom