• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A possible tech vs Olimar...

Menk

Smash Cadet
Ok, I don't have any way to upload the replay, so I'm going to try to describe this. It should be pretty testable.

I was Olimar, my friend was Pit. Very start of the match, I threw a yellow and then a red pikmin at Pit. They both landed on him, and then he pulled out his shield (Down B) before the pikmin had done any damage (they were latched, but hadn't landed an actual damaging hit yet).
Pit stood there with shield up for a few seconds and we noticed that the pikmin weren't doing any damage even though they were both whacking the heck out of Pit. I ran up and grabbed him, Dthrow (with yellow pikmin, 8% dmg) and then Usmash (blue pikmin, 15%). The pikmin stayed latched onto Pit until after the Usmash connected, both hitting him one last time before they fell off.
At the end of it all, the Pit had 23%. Unless my math fails this means he wasn't hurt one time by the Pikmin even though they were hitting him quite a lot.

So, I'm guessing pulling out shield before a pikmin can smack you might keep them for doing any damage to you, but they still stay latched on? I'm not sure exactly, I can't test it right now, but it might be a good thing to test. I'd expect it to be at least a little useful in case an olimar gets a white on you before you can shield or something.

Sorry if something like this is already known, I don't lurk the Pit boards much...

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
um. right when u pull out the shield it has super armor frames. before that however = reflect.

so pulling out shield
1st few frames = reflect and maybe invincibility
next few frames = super armor
the rest is just normal

Menk

Smash Cadet
Well, the fact that the pikmin were still latched but not doing any damage is what gets me. I don't normally see two pikmin wailing on someone without them taking any damage.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
So, I'm guessing pulling out shield before a pikmin can smack you might keep them for doing any damage to you, but they still stay latched on? I'm not sure exactly, I can't test it right now, but it might be a good thing to test. I'd expect it to be at least a little useful in case an olimar gets a white on you before you can shield or something.
Interesting I'll try it out.

um. right when u pull out the shield it has super armor frames. before that however = reflect.

so pulling out shield
1st few frames = reflect and maybe invincibility
next few frames = super armor
the rest is just normal
Got it a bit mixed up, First frames when the shield is being taken out, it has super armor frames. Next few frames is the reflect part of the shield. Than it just becomes the shield that can take up to 61% or 56% Damage? I forget.

Well, the fact that the pikmin were still latched but not doing any damage is what gets me. I don't normally see two pikmin wailing on someone without them taking any damage.
If what you say is true. Than this could possibly ultimately destroy, or really hurt Olimar's game. They like to throw pikmin, give damage and pull out more to through. If we reflect we get grabbed, if we attack them, our moves degrade and we are vulnerable.

But if this is correct we can keep the pikmin on us, without taking damage and punish the Pikmin Less olimar. Though they would only stay on for a few seconds, an entire match can change in a few seconds. Besides Purple, which the higher up on the danger scale, the other colors would be less of a problem, and when whistling or trying to pluck more Wittle Olimar can be punished.

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
Then it's a good thing that it's a bit impractical to pull this off in an actual battle seeing as Olimar's like to follow up with grabs/smashes/sh Fairs after Pikmin Throw

Not to mention we can just WAC your attacks AND get our Pikmin back. All and all, I don't think it's that harmful

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Olimars don't approach, they don't need to, unless because pit is just chilling on the other side of the stage with arrows xD. I tried this today and it works, maybe I'll use it idk. But there's more practical things that can be done. Like Rust implied.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Olimars don't approach, they don't need to, unless because pit is just chilling on the other side of the stage with arrows xD. I tried this today and it works, maybe I'll use it idk. But there's more practical things that can be done. Like Rust implied.
Hmm, cant really say olimar's dont approach, not every olimar plays the same, i happen to be quite aggresive sometimes and do go through the effort of approaching. This tech could help pit out quite a bit if it actually works but there are ways of punishing and/or rendering this tech useless for pit.

Another question, i second pit and just wanna know, do ppl use mirror shield or side b to reflect things like this. I prefer to use side b even with the ending lag but it stops approach from one angle so you know where theyre gonna attack from. mirror shield also has lag so what advantages does down b have over side b?

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Hmm, cant really say olimar's dont approach, not every olimar plays the same, i happen to be quite aggresive sometimes and do go through the effort of approaching.
No Olimars that go to tournaments that i know. And I'm good friends with .com, AndyG, and Blackwaltz. But if you say so.

Another question, i second pit and just wanna know, do ppl use mirror shield or side b to reflect things like this. I prefer to use side b even with the ending lag but it stops approach from one angle so you know where theyre gonna attack from. mirror shield also has lag so what advantages does down b have over side b?
Both have lag, and punishable by Olimar's Grab. Angel Rings isn't disjointed and be Usmashed through. Personally i jab them all off before they give me damage.

Top Bottom