• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A possible European tournament joint video channel for youtube?

Samochan

Smash Master
I got this idea when talking to amsah on msn. What if european tournaments had a joint video channel where people from around europe could upload their tournament videos?

I can imagine it would make it very easy then for people on both outside and inside europe to follow tournament going on europe and get to know the scene better, then the topic here on smashboards to introduce it would be a good place to discuss these tourneys and players, as tube obviously isn't up to the task and people don't frequent europeans boards or their homeboards outside smashboards, language barriers aside.

Because the brawl community is kinda smallish in europe, we could start with european melee channel first before making a brawl channel. I do think they'd need to be separated in any case, but there could be separate thread on the brawl video discussion.

For channel names, I thought of EuropeanMelee and EuropeanBrawl, or something shorter like EuroSSBM, but those are still up in the air.

Set guidelines would need to be followed in order to make it organized and easy. The password to the channel could be asked via pm or so from the tube account founder and/or manager and needs to remain the same unless problems arise, to avoid problems. Tournaments allowed to be uploaded there should be at least 20 and over player competitive tournaments, tournament matches only (aka no friendlies, even from tourney in question), right game according to channel, singles & teams, with information on title and info box found below:

Title:

- Short tournament name
- Player names and characters withing () *
- Number of the match
- Shortened name of the set (winners finals = WF, winners quarter finals = WQF etc.)

Info box:

- Full tournament name and local/international
- Full name of the set and tourney type
- Player names and characters
- Match number
- Where and when
- Recorder and uploader (and commentator) nicknames
- Amount of entrants for event (non-mandatory, but preferable)
- Links for download (non-mandatory)
- Bracket/AiB links (non-mandatory)

* port in case of ditto match (P1, P2 etc.) and color in team match instead of characters

Example:

Zgetto (fox) vs Makenshi (marth) 1 LQF - TSL4 7-9/8/09

The Super Lion international tournament melee singles losers quarterfinals, Zgetto Fox vs Makenshi Marth match 1. Tournament was held in France, Lyon, 7-9th of August 2009, recorded by ajp_anton and uploaded by Samochan. There were 113 entrants in this event.

Relevant tags could be used, but not mandatory. My recomendation is bulk upload plug-in for these and ctrl + c for copy and ctrl + v for paste.

For past videos and/or videos not uploaded on this channel, there'd be a link section on the bottom of the video thread.

I assume that if people like this idea and it's working, a thread could be made to the video discussion section and sticky it. People could announce tournament videos and give others heads up.

So, any thoughts? :3

Blad01

Smash Lord
I've had the same idea, but I found it too ambitious, so I created a Brawl / Melee french channel (with all the euro tourneys that took place in France like ESA3 / TSL)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmashTournoi

I think it would be really nice if every important country at Smash could have the same sort of channel. There would be one for France, Germany, Netherlands, etc...
That would be a little more realistic, and this system would not have any language barrier (since every channel would be in two languages : The natal one and English).

About the name, we could use the same model : "Smash" + "Tournament" in your language. Exemples : SmashTorneo for Spain, SmashTournoi for France, etc.

In the end, we would make a stickied thread with the links for all the channels. :)

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
I've had the same idea, but I found it too ambitious, so I created a Brawl / Melee french channel (with all the euro tourneys that took place in France like ESA3 / TSL)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmashTournoi

I think it would be really nice if every important country at Smash could have the same sort of channel. There would be one for France, Germany, Netherlands, etc...
That would be a little more realistic, and this system would not have any language barrier (since every channel would be in two languages : The natal one and English).

About the name, we could use the same model : "Smash" + "Tournament" in your language. Exemples : SmashTorneo for Spain, SmashTournoi for France, etc.

In the end, we would make a stickied thread with the links for all the channels. :)
Something like that exists for The Netherlands already: http://www.youtube.com/user/SmashNederLand. It's the channel of the Dutch community website. There's not much on there yet, but we are working on it.

Anyway, I mostly agree with Blad here. Have each community decide for themselves which videos they would like to use to represent themselves. Small tournaments can be interesting to and on a European channel they might go unnoticed because of the huge amounts of videos. If we have a tournament with only sixteen entrants but Amsah, Adam, Zgetto, Remen and Faab are attending, I'm sure people would be interested in seeing that. Would be a shame if they missed it. ;)

Also, if someone who has the password to a European channel decides to go berserk and delete al videos, you're screwed. It's not likely, but I've seen things like that happen.

I also like the idea of having universal naming standards for smash videos.

Samochan

Smash Master
Own channels would be very nice and all, but I do not think the smaller smash countries would get much exposure then. It's not about forcing each and every smash country vids down to someone's throat even if they don't really fancy something like norwegian vids or so, but then again, without a joint channel I imagine the "not-quite-top-professional-level" smash countries in europe would get overshadowed really quickly by the tops in terms of viewers and discussion. In the end however, it would prolly be a lot more organized and people do have the choice in watching what they want, after all. =)

I'm guessing channels would be good for the countries that have tournaments and videos from them fairly often? It's kinda counterproductive, but I'd rather keep the finnish vids I upload on my own channel, other finns upload theirs to their own channel too so it would be hard to keep em mashed up together in any case. Not forgetting our bigger tourneys are few and far between and usually non-recorded, same with small weeklies and meetings. The swedish could use their own channel, but ajp's xdgaming (helios) have some older ones and won't upload any more and other swedes don't really seem to use youtube at all (cept for viewing maybe). I'd be ready to maintain a swedish channel, provided ajp would help me a bit in language (he's half finnish so we have common language).

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
IF you do this project, make two separate channels: EuroSSBM and EuroSSBB, because there will always be some stupid Meleeheads who will fill the Brawl videos with ******** complaints about how they don't want to watch Brawl matches.

Samochan

Smash Master
Well hmm...

We could possibly make a list of the accounts where the vids will be uploaded and then name the tourneys that have been uploaded there so far. Dunno if people wanna even make new accounts and would like to continue adding their vids to their own channels.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
This is a good idea but the channel needs to be clean. That means seperate sections for tournaments etc. Easy to navigate and not cluttered ( if someone would give it a bit more appealing look than the average youtube channel that would be cool).
I try to make playlists for the tournaments after I upload them. Not sure if people use them a lot but it makes watching vids in sequence easier.

I'm down for this if the channel is clean, non cluttered and well structured. If we all stick to these guidelines then it should stay nice and clean.

Samochan

Smash Master
Playlists should do the trick even if the channel has that person's own videos there and there, if they are well organized and named. Then 3 of the most recent tourneys could be put into the front page, for easy access. Name, date, country and stuff for quick and short info in the name and information ofc. However if the vids are organized inside the playlists from oldest to newest, the grand finals are not really showing well when person needs to go to next page or scroll down to access them if they don't want to watch in sequence. Singles should also be first on the line of sequence, people like to watch singles more than teams, unless ofc we make separate playlists for both singles and teams (though that would make too many playlists imo).

Was there a limit to playlist person was allowed to have?

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
a huge euro channel would be incredible but I think that would only work for big tourneys like ESA, SMACK, TSL, etc...

for local or tourneys which are not that big it's not necessary at all, otherwise there would be too much stuff uploaded.

I also find the SmashTournoi / SmashTournament / SmashTorneo / etc.. a good idea.

smash videos are spared in too many youtube accounts IMO

edit.
the III Spanish National Tourney is going to be held on November the 1st and it could be the first one to be uploaded in that new channel if you like

AJP will be here to record it so those will be #1 rank quality videos :D :D

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Waoh, good stuff Achoral. Though I think it's better to have seperate channels for each games to discourage trolling.

:059:

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
We'll be uploading our international tournaments there, and we already made another account named smashbrosspain where spanish tournaments will be uploaded if they don't have european players.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
That means our upcoming Iberian Tournament (Spain and Portugal) will be uploaded there too?

Top Bottom