• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A One Console Future?

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
I saw an article about it on Gameinformer (issue 179) and I was wondering what you guys think. Should our games be governed by one console? Would monopolization help the gaming inustry, or hinder it? What are your thoughts. Rumors are out that EA wants to make a console. Could that be the beginning of the end for multiple consoles?
I don't know, I guess I'm bored and I want to talk about something (not debate, TALK).

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Competition is what has driven the video game industry since it began... We'd probably stagnate if there was only one console. There'd be no reason to innovate because if they didn't do it, it's not like anyone else would.

Plus, fanboy wars are just fun as hell. It's consistently amazing how passionate people get about these things. I wouldn't want to give that up. :D

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Don't ever bank on a one console future, and if so, Nintendo is as good as dead in the water. For a truly uniform experience, the PS3, as of now, is likely the prototype of a one console generation. The PS3 did a lot right with hardware, which was my main reason for purchasing it first, with Blu-Ray, a large harddrive, and optional motion sensor. The large processor and graphics capabilities are even better for the developer. The problem with a one console future, other than price gouging, is the lack of innovation. The Wii, though not my preferred console, did a lot right with innovating controls. The problem is some games just do not work with this control scheme, for example GTA 4. I tried the SixAxis tutorial for about 5 minutes until I turned it off. With the Wii motion sensing this would be impossible and would have turned off plenty gamers. With the loss any loss of sales, that kills the desire to innovate.

Finally, a one console generation means one good thing for the gamers = AWESOME games. Instead of having hardware battles + software battles, the companies will fight for the best games. Sadly, Nintendo will have to compromise some of their ideas for a mass appeal, such as more games like Wii Sports, which will not appeal to the hardcore gaming audience. In fact, a single console generation will pretty much scrap the hardcore gaming audience because those gamers are such a small fraction of the overall target audience that there is no means to market to them. PC gaming will get quite a kick start from this trend because of it's customizable abilities, keyboard capacities, and variety of game options, then console gaming will be dead.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The problem is some games just do not work with this control scheme, for example GTA 4. I tried the SixAxis tutorial for about 5 minutes until I turned it off. With the Wii motion sensing this would be impossible and would have turned off plenty gamers.
I dunno, GTA 4 wouldn't be too bad with a wiimote used for weapon aiming.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Don't ever bank on a one console future, and if so, Nintendo is as good as dead in the water. For a truly uniform experience, the PS3, as of now, is likely the prototype of a one console generation. The PS3 did a lot right with hardware, which was my main reason for purchasing it first, with Blu-Ray, a large harddrive, and optional motion sensor. The large processor and graphics capabilities are even better for the developer. The problem with a one console future, other than price gouging, is the lack of innovation. The Wii, though not my preferred console, did a lot right with innovating controls. The problem is some games just do not work with this control scheme, for example GTA 4. I tried the SixAxis tutorial for about 5 minutes until I turned it off. With the Wii motion sensing this would be impossible and would have turned off plenty gamers. With the loss any loss of sales, that kills the desire to innovate.
I don't believe that to be true. I think under a one-console system you'd definitely see a Nintendo-like trend emerge in which there are many possible control methods to choose from based on the preference of the user. Don't like the Wiimote? Use the Classic Controller. Is that not doing it for you? Flip the Wiimote on its side. And now we're even seeing news that Microsoft is developing its own Wiimote-like device, so the reality of a multi-control console is already a reality and is likely something that is here to stay.

And, all three consoles could be argued for in the "prototype for a one console generation", I think. There're merits for all three accounts.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't believe that to be true. I think under a one-console system you'd definitely see a Nintendo-like trend emerge in which there are many possible control methods to choose from based on the preference of the user.
Would you? the PS3 only developed motion after Nintendo revealed the wiimote, and Microsoft's only now doing it now that it's been proven. Both sony and Microsoft expected the Wii to fail.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
It would become a battle for the innovation, trying to win consumers by actually offering something better/more fun to play, doesn't sound too bad but PC's would still kick ***.

Also, the current big names in videogames could segregate themselves to their strongest audiences, I just hope EA is dead by the time that happens.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Monopolization of any kind of market leaves the consumers getting less, and probably paying more. Although, I don't see that happening with consoles anyway.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The PS3 motion sensing appeals to me for one reason: I can turn it off. After playing "Destroy All Humans" for Wii, I really despise the permanent motion sensing. The game wasn't great, but I love the series, just the controls were not fun and after a good 20 minutes I was done playing with my wrists. I am speaking personally here, of course, but I am sure there are many who will be able to agree that forcing everyone to use motion sensing is not a great idea overall. Fun for some games, but not for all.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yeah. I mean, the FPS genre definitely has the best shot for Motion-Sensor technology, but games such as Pop and Defend Your Castle for the WiiWare are definitely pretty cool as well.

Regardless, a one console future would never happen. Sure, the companies are bound to change, but there will never be only one console per generation.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Competition promotes innovation. The console race is much more exciting than just having one throne.

In this particular case, war= is good.

XACE-K

Smash Master
There wil never be a one console future. If there was, there would be more poeple in the world NOT playing video games. That's just my opinion.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
you mean, PC? that could be a one console future.
theres tons of games, lots of compatibility, and competition from several companies ranging from nvidia to valve to keep the economy rolling.

plus all the cal/cpl/cevo leagues.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Clearly a monopoly in any industry is bad as it completely throws consumer sovereignty out the door with market mechanism almost completely useless. If there is no competition firms can charge whatever they want.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Monopolies in entertainment sectors work a lot less especially with stuff like consoles. People would just not buy consoles if they got too expensive. It's mostly for necessities that monopolies are really bad, price-wise.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
True but in a monopoly prices will decrease at a much slower rate as price drops normally occur to match substitutable goods.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Would you? the PS3 only developed motion after Nintendo revealed the wiimote, and Microsoft's only now doing it now that it's been proven. Both sony and Microsoft expected the Wii to fail.
They did indeed expect it to fail, but now they're seeing that Nintendo was correct in venturing into the functionality, and are having to scramble to come up with their own answer to it.

That said, I do feel with the people who have responded about not being able to turn off motion sensing. The fact is, with significant changes, alot of games are simply not meant to be played with motion sensing control. This isn't Nintendo's fault, however, as they've provided alternative control methods and make extensive use of them. Look at Smash Bros, there are 4 ways to play the game (3 viable, but still), and that seems to be a developing trend. I look at the back of boxes now and I frequently am seeing the Wiimote+Nunchuck, Classic Controller, and Gamecube Controller all as options. It really is a good thing to allow the consumer to choose which method is best for them.

Top Bottom