• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Not-So-Brief" Summary of my Tournament

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
So, as many of you know, I attended the "Chicago's All-Smash Tournament". I signed up for both brawl singles and doubles. Here's a quick summay:

Doubles Tournament:

1st Match: My partner was Keys (the lucas who I played in my videos) and I played as Kirby. Our opponents were Mene (Ike) and GMT (Kirby, it was 3 letters but I don't remember them exactly). My heart was beating like crazy once the first game started on smashville. In the end, it was me against the other Kirby and after a series of sport dodge wars, me and Keys earned our first win. The second match was hosted on Final Destination and Mene went nuts. Keys and I got merked by Ike's Fsmashes and got killed simultaneously twice. The match, unfortunately, went to the opposing team. The tie-breaking third match was on Battlefield. I was playing great but the match slipped away from me and my partner. Keys died, I has one life and about 40% and Mene had 1 life and GMT had 2. I was almost certain we would lose, but I had to try. I almost went crazy and had a heart attack, but I pulled off the most clutch comeback ever, defeating both of my adversaries while having over 120%.

2nd Match: I can't remember the names of our opponents, but one of them played Snake and the other G&W. I vaguely recollect playing on Final Destination the first round and getting our shit handed to us, but not much else. I attempted to CP Shiek (I don't know why) and Pictochat. The G&W ended up switching to Wario and the match proceeded with the same results. So, now, Team "Mike and Joe" had 1 win and 1 loss.

3rd Match: Team "Youngsters" (S.O.L.I.D. and someone else) played us for our third match. I was anticipating a great challenge from this match and half-expecting me and Keys to lose. They both picked Marth (WTF?) and I picked Kirby. The first match was on Yoshi's Island and it wasn't as brutal as I had once-thought. Team Mike and Joe pulled off a "double two-stock" and won the match with ease. The second match on Battlefield went equally well and we were on our way to our fourth match.

4th Match: This was a tough set of matches for me and Keys. We played a very good team consisting of a player named OOK (Donkey Kong) and, well, some other person (Lucario). The first match on Battlefield was pretty close. I don't remember exactly, but I think we gave our challengers a decent enough fight and got them down to 1 stock and 2 stock. The second match was a major turning pint for Keys, who committed suicide (at 0%) and played mediocre throughout the match. (NO JOHNS) It ended up being me against a Donkey Kong and a Marth. The only reason why this match was close was because they sandbagged at the end and attempted to spike me twice and killed themselves. I ended up missed a great opportunity to make a comeback and we lost the match.

Double elimination, but our win loss record was 2-2. I wish my singles matches went as well.....

Place: 9th!!!! :)

Singles Tournament:

1st Match: The singles tournament took forever to start. We had to wait about 2 hours for the tournament orginizers to set up Brawl Singles. During this time period, I was forced to occupy myself with a free-for-all set of matches against other people. The matches were decently enjoyable, but I was finding that I was getting sick of the game and developing a terrible headache. (I've never played/watched video games for 8+ straight hours) My name was called and I was to fight a R.O.B. player named "GameQ" as Link. Our first match was on Battlefield, as luck would have it, and I ended up playing decently. I don't remember much about the match other than the fact that I held GameQ's gyro for over 20 seconds while performing Zairs to prevent him from using it and that I pulled off a "Boomerang->Jab->Powrful Fsmash". I ended up losing though, but the match was pretty fun. The second match was a slaughterfest. I probably shouldn't have CPed Pictochat against the best camping character in the game, but I did and I ended up losing terribly. Live and learn, I guess.

2nd Match: I had considered leaving at this point because of the terrible headache that I had developed. I ended up staying for one final match against a Snake player whose name escapes me. He was really good, but I played just as I should have in the first set of matches: incredibly defensively. The match was great, I pulled of another "Boomerang->Jab->Powerful Fsmash" and a few other nifty tricks. In the end, we both had around 140% and the match was tight. I got utilted at some point and died. The match was so fun, though, that it didn't even matter to me. I CPed Norfair for my next stage, and he countered with R.O.B. (Yay) It was another fun match, but R.O.B.'s superior fire-power and camp-ability lost me the match. I don't remember much except for my edge mindgames on Norfair where I switch platform ledge and throw projectiles to rack up damage on my opponent and lure them towards me. I think he had 1 stock when it ended, but it could have been 2.

Place: Did not place :(

So, what did I learn? The fact that R.O.B. is one of Link's hardest match-ups and that I kind of suck at this game. No matter though, I'll try do better at my next tournament. (NO JOHNS) Please comment with anything you want, I just wanted to let you guys know how I did.

P.S. I saw another Link main at the tournament name IRS who played a Meta Knight and won. (There were 3 MKs at the toruney and they were played as secondaries, not mains) A group of people made a big deal out of this match, so I guess it was important. Anywho, I just thought I'd let you all know. :p

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Aww, get used to no lifing xD you probably made a lot of mistakes because of that headache....

Nice job on doubles ^^ can't say as much for singles, maybe play against some good ROBs? He's not a tought guy to outcamp once you learn his limitations and angles.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Looks like that headache really messed with you. In the next tourney make sure you bring some food with you, and perhaps bring some music too. You probably shouldn't burn yourself out so quick with friendlies in such a competitive atmosphere. If you have to wait for hours to see something set up, don't force yourself to be active. Sit on a couch and take a nap.

I'm glad to hear your first tourney was a pleasant experience. Mine was like burning in hell. Matt knows what I'm talking about :laugh:

Legan

Smash Lord
Good Job joe, looks like you experienced all the factors that effect your game when you play in tournaments. Keep it up man and you'll get better in no time.

You're also right about ROB, he utterly destroys link if you're not on top of your game.

ShieryuSilvr

Smash Apprentice
Whoa...sounds like tournies are serious buisness O_O
Im thinking about entering 1 sometime, but IDK if im good enough yet. Anyway hope you do better at your next tourney ^_^

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
@Shieryu: You don't get better until you've gone to a tournament. Until then, you don't realize that, "oops, my friends never take advantage of spiking me when I'm off the edge, so I should work on that." Non-competitive friends and tournaments are really different.

Good job Nintenjoe in regards to doubles. Remember to take some food next time and eat it before singles, because that is what really helps with headaches and light-headedness.
That's what screwed me over last tournament I went to, anyway. I should've brought some food...

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
R.O.B. is evil, his stupid Nair will own Link's dair if he is spaced right. On top of that he has his annoying projectiles, recovery, and gimping.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
ROB is one of my most feared match ups but I've been practing a lot against him and getting better. I joined a few online tourneys and all were foiled by that robot at some point. Good representin' Link though.

I think you can "Bomb smash" with a Gyro in hand? That would be HILARIOUS watching that happen as you hoard his Gyro and have him being like WTF gimme mah Gyro back ;_; while you fight almost normally while keeping him from shooting it at ya.

This should make you feel slightly better (did I hear the words shameless self promotion anyone?) about that bastid, ROB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHZ9Ewmo3EU

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
Lol you ended up like me somewhat, me and my partner lost first round to a team who ended up getting fourth at the tourney, and we won the next two, and then lost. I used Link most of the time, but then I went Kirby and TL for some matches (lol kirby) but good job overall representing Link

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I think you can "Bomb smash" with a Gyro in hand? That would be HILARIOUS watching that happen as you hoard his Gyro and have him being like WTF gimme mah Gyro back ;_; while you fight almost normally while keeping him from shooting it at ya.

This should make you feel slightly better (did I hear the words shameless self promotion anyone?) about that bastid, ROB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHZ9Ewmo3EU
I would have never thought of Bombsmashing with the gyro, but thats an awesome idea. I ZAC'd it a few times but I mainly threw it at him and Zair'd it. It was pretty funny, because he did actually say "Leggo of the gyro!" I liked the vid too, nice job.

Lol you ended up like me somewhat, me and my partner lost first round to a team who ended up getting fourth at the tourney, and we won the next two, and then lost. I used Link most of the time, but then I went Kirby and TL for some matches (lol kirby) but good job overall representing Link
I hate Link for doubles. I end up hitting my partner with bombs and stuff more than him, so I play doubles as Kirby and Shiek.

ook

Smash Lord
Nice playin you man :)
Surprised you remember so many specifics about your matches :dizzy: I certainly don't lol

And yeah, don't play yourself out with too many friendlies, or else it'll give you a headache and make you sick of the game and play worse. They had free pizza and unlimited drinks (paid for with the venue fee), so maybe you should've eaten more pizza or something.

but ggs and hope to see you at more tourneys

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Nice playin you man :)
Surprised you remember so many specifics about your matches :dizzy: I certainly don't lol

And yeah, don't play yourself out with too many friendlies, or else it'll give you a headache and make you sick of the game and play worse. They had free pizza and unlimited drinks (paid for with the venue fee), so maybe you should've eaten more pizza or something.

but ggs and hope to see you at more tourneys
I went to eat after doubles and I didn't expect that long of a wait in between. But, yeah, thanks for the advice and ggs.

P.S. It was really funny when I tried to edgeguard you with Kirby's superior recovery and you just ended up Fair spiking me. I didn't think it would spike me that far down.

sasook

Smash Champion
I hate Link for doubles. I end up hitting my partner with bombs and stuff more than him, so I play doubles as Kirby and Shiek.
Reminds me of a funny story, where Midboss was Sonic and his friend was Link. They were playing as a team, and for the final KO, Link grabbed Sonic and did an upthrow. It sent Sonic into the upper bubble (everyone had high percents) and Sonic did an up air for the kill. lol

On topic, good job NintenJoe. Seeing your matches before your tourney really got me wanting to play you sometime. We'd have epic dittos.

Did you get to record your tourney matches?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
On topic, good job NintenJoe. Seeing your matches before your tourney really got me wanting to play you sometime. We'd have epic dittos.

Did you get to record your tourney matches?
I hate WiFi dittos... come to Chicago and we'll play. :p But seriously, we will play sometime. I just recently moved my wii back upstairs and I don't want to move it again.

I updated this thread. Apparantly me and Keys got 9th place overall for doubles. I'm really happy about that, seeing as I thought we would get dead last. :)

sasook

Smash Champion
XD I don't mind dittos if the connection is good (meaning yellow, green or blue). And congrats on 9th place in doubles!

>_> I need to make time to play more....I get to play brawl for a grand total of 2-3 hours a week these days. All my AT's are really rusty lol

Top Bottom