• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
okay you're definitely being overdramatic lol

I really, really doubt Nintendo as a company as a whole despises a character that they still put in games to this day (which would be a very gross generalization). If they hated him, why bother even putting him in anything at all?

Another thing to note is that Smash picks can be very Japan-centric. That's part of the reason it took over a decade for Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo to get in and for characters like Geno to even be recognised, as well as why characters like Sephiroth and Hero got in despite having very little demand in the western fanbase. They only really started to pay attention to western picks during Ultimate, and started focusing on them a lot more for things like Mii costumes, which are decided after the fighters.

Just because Waluigi didn't get in doesn't necessarily mean ATs deconfirm for DLC. I won't argue and say that they don't for base game, that's crazy talk if you ask me, but unless Sakurai outright says "assist trophies deconfirm for DLC", I ain't buying it.

The main reason Sora got in over Waluigi, Crash, Doomguy, etc. is that he was the most requested Smash character worldwide. Characters like the aforementioned Waluigi and Crash mainly have popularity in the western Smash fanbase, and are relatively mid-tier in Japan.

That being said, with Smash's new focus on western picks, I think the chances of seeing our boy in purple in Smash 6 are higher than ever.
I just discovered that it was Sora, someone from a series I'm not a fan of when I wrote this so I was pretty disappointed especially knowing that it was the fighter of the game but it's cool now. I'm expecting him for the next game

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
really, really doubt Nintendo as a company as a whole despises a character that they still put in games to this day (which would be a very gross generalization). If they hated him, why bother even putting him in anything at all?
I cannot say Waluigi will be garunteed in future Smash fighters, but he is a recurring Mario series main character at this day so he sure deserves something.

Just because Waluigi didn't get in doesn't necessarily mean ATs deconfirm for DLC. I won't argue and say that they don't for base game, that's crazy talk if you ask me, but unless Sakurai outright says "assist trophies deconfirm for DLC", I ain't buying it.
It's old topic. The point is more like it's not quite worthy doing so. The better scenario is that NIntendo choose Waluigi as the new Mario rep, and also assignate King Boo or Mallow to be the new assist trohpy. There is no need to waste the assist trohpy slot for Waluigi specficially.

Still if the case is Waluigi does appear as Smash DLCs, my opinion would also be "he should be put in the base game isntead". Additionally, if Waluigi has the value to be DLC, I don't see why NIntendo cannot also make a Waluigi DLC specifcially for gamees like Odyssey or Bowser's Fury.

I think it does make sense. They saw the backlash from fans when Waluigi was showed as an assist.
I don't think this makes sense. Waluigi has already been popular by the time of Smash Brawl. You say that as if Waluigi wasn't popular in the Smash 4 days or NIntendo didn't notice his popularity. And as others said, Waluigi is a recurring character in his series, NIntendo definitely know his popularity.
They chose Plant Piranha obviously just to troll people, not because they mistook Plant as the more popualar being.

And as said above, Mario series has many candidates that can also be the new assist trohpies. It's totally not creative to keep Waluigi as asisst trohpy when so many good characters can inherit his role.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I think it does make sense. They saw the backlash from fans when Waluigi was showed as an assist. Same goes for Isaac. They knew that they were extremely popular and asked. Unfortunately, it was too late to add them or even just one of them. They probably thought that if they upgrade only one assist trophy, it would have caused severe backlash and endless wars between pissed off fans unless they made an assist upgrade fighter pass.

So I guess that we can overlook Waluigi being absent from the roster in Ultimate if that was the reason. And we did all we can do.
Now, there is no excuse for Smash 6. They are definitely aware of his popularity and there is no excuse to forget about him once again when he's basically the new Ridley while Isaac is the new King K Rool. We will probably get two or three assist upgrades in the next game (I think we already had some in Ultimate) and the most likely candidates are Waluigi & Isaac. Maybe Skull Kid or Ashley if we got three but Waluigi & Isaac are the most likely and there won't be a huge backlash if they are the only two or even just Waluigi because they wouldn't have been announced as assist trophies in the first place.

So yeah, I take back what I've said before and I'm gonna even go on and say that he'll be the big newcomer for base game in the next game like Ridley in Ultimate. Maybe his time will come around E3 2026/7 (this is usually the time it takes before we get a new smash bros so I believe that the next game will be in 5-6 years). The only issue now is to WAIT

I think however that the next game will be a reboot so we will probably have around 45 characters (not counting DLC) and almost all the 3rd party will be gone with a few exceptions like Sonic, Banjo, maybe Sora unless they count him as part of the square enix characters...
Yeah, Waluigi & Isaac make the most sense as 1st party characters for the next Smash, unless Nintendo creates a new ip like ARMS by then and they get shafted again.
I'd like to believe they'd have listened to feedback and really do include both as playable fighters.
It's probably easier to include them both since they're owned by the same company, Camelot.

And I don't expect a reboot of the series anytime soon, that would effectively kill Smash Bros, or greatly damage it's image.
Because I can't believe Nintendo and Sakurai are willing to throw all of their hard work after negotiating with Microsoft, Square Enix, and freaking Disney.

Sora maybe the last fighter for Ultimate, same way Bayonetta was the last fighter for Smash Wii U.
But they're gonna end up making a Smash Deluxe or Smash 6, and that game will have its own last character, and so on.

Looking on the bright, Waluigi is currently the most wanted 1st party character.
And he's still trending on Twitter even after Sora's reveal.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Waluigi & Isaac make the most sense as 1st party characters for the next Smash, unless Nintendo creates a new ip like ARMS by then and they get shafted again.
That's not quite a good point. I understand the salt from Golden Sun fans, but you cannnot compare ARMS directly to Mario series. In a crossover game, new franchsies of course have higher priority. Waluigi's direct rival in this game is Plant Piranha anyway.

Good thing is Mario series will definitely have new additions in long future so Waluigi has a better luck than other characters from Kid Icarus and Earthbound.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unfortunately, this was not our game. But we can only hope the next game proves better. Reggie obviously went through with talking to Sakurai, so I think him in the next Smash Bros., assuming Sakurai once again is directing, will be very plausible. He will finally understand the hype and bring us his glory.

There is no reason to be upset over it not being him. My friends' #1 was Sora, so I'll gladly let them take the dub.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, this was not our game. But we can only hope the next game proves better. Reggie obviously went through with talking to Sakurai, so I think him in the next Smash Bros., assuming Sakurai once again is directing, will be very plausible. He will finally understand the hype and bring us his glory.

There is no reason to be upset over it not being him. My friends' #1 was Sora, so I'll gladly let them take the dub.
Yep, Sora is the official winner of the Smash ballot, I'm not even arguing with that, it makes sense and he's very deserving of that spot in the roster.

We did all we could and fought till the very bitter end, at least Waluigi is in the forefront right now unlike in the past Smash titles, we really caught Nintendo's attention this time around.
And looking back, I think we're very lucky to even have Waluigi make appearances on a yearly basis in a number of different games, other characters aren't so lucky.

I'm now looking forward to a Waluigi game or a main appearance, and after that it's the road to Smash Ultimate Deluxe or Smash 6, by that time it would be Waluigi's 25th anniversary.

Let's go!!
Oh yeah, I'm done from Smash speculation for now, but hopefully next game it will finally be Waluigi Time!
:waluigirose::waluigirose::waluigirose::waluigirose::waluigirose::waluigirose:

Waluigi99

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5516-0014-8137
It's been a long time since I used this site, and a long time since I visited this thread. I came back to visit again in the wake of the very disappointing smash direct for the final fighter. It looks like I will remain without a main in Smash Ultimate. None of the characters added via the DLC were what I was looking for. I was really looking for a character that I was personally attached to, that I had grown up with, but only partially Steve fits that description. That's not to say I didn't enjoy any of them, I love how they all play. I did want Steve and Pyra/Mythra, Banjo has grown on me, and Hero in particular is hilarious to play with friends. But as a Waluigi fan since my earliest days of gaming, when I played him back in Mario Cart DS, I'm beyond disappointed... Sora.... is... just boring. Kind of lame and lackluster to end the roster on. I stopped watching the direct the moment I saw the keyblade. Oh well, it's not like I can do anything about the choice, but man it sucks. I can't be mad about something I don't have control over that isn't too serious in the grand scheme of things, so I will continue to enjoy playing Smash Ultimate with my friends, just without a main... All my friends have a main, my brother likes Dedede, his friend Bowser, my best friend Sephiroth, but for me nobody on the roster jives with me well enough. Sakurai and the smash team did an excellent job on smash ultimate, and it's because of them I can count this one among my favorite games of all time. I hope the series continues in the future, with Sakurai in tow or not. Let's hope he gets a well-earned break.

For all the other Waluigi fans out there, it's been a wild ride, and I hope we eventually get to see our favorite purple plumber in smash as a fully playable fighter, sooner rather than later. Because by the time the next smash game might roll around, I could be approaching 30 since I'm 22 now, and by that time I won't really be able to make time for smash because of work. I wanted Waluigi more than any other character in smash, every direct was a hype of "holy **** this could be it", and then followed by a "well there's still x amount of slots left, he'll get in eventually!", but now its over for at least half a decade. I'll try and visit smashboards more in my spare time, and I hope the Waluigi fandom doesn't die off between the long wait. And remember everyone "Waluigi number 1!"

PunkApe

Coolest Monkey in the Jungle
I honestly think Waluigi’s best chances of getting in, base game or otherwise, is if someone other than Sakurai is the director of the next game. Many people like to blame Nintendo for Waluigi’s exclusion, but in reality smash is the singular spin-off that Waluigi has never been playable in, other than that one Mario kart that he was left out of. He’s definitely not Nintendo’s favorite either, but people are kidding themselves if they think that his exclusion from smash isn’t majorly due to Sakurai in some way. He’s been an assist trophy for a decade while watching other ATs get promoted between games, a literal plant chosen for DLC over him, and hell, even bomberman got a consolation prize of a Mii costume. I don’t know what it is but I feel like it’s pretty clear that he just does not like Waluigi. And that’s fine it’s his opinion and his game. I just hope that IF someone else ends up taking over for the next game they acknowledge our fan base and finally give us a chance to play smash with Waluigi. I’d legit him rather not be in the games at all than be locked to being a stupid item that most people don’t play with half the time anyways lol
I feel as if its very ridiculous to assume Sakurai has this grudge against or hatred for Waluigi. It’s very clear that the picks for this game were heavily influenced by ballot results and requests from Nintendo themselves.
I doubt Waluigi did too well on the ballot mainly with the preconceived notion that it was for Smash 4, hence why he didn’t make it in the base roster, plus with the added fact he isn’t too popular of a request in Japan.
It’s evident with recent Mii costumes that Smash is opening up a lot more to the western fanbase so I wouldn’t be too surprised if characters like Waluigi, Crash, Chief, Dante, etc. end up being in the next game.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It’s very clear that the picks for this game were heavily influenced by ballot results and requests from Nintendo themselves.
According to Sakurai's words, most fighter choices and concepts were concluded from Sakurai's negotiation with the original creators or producers, so despite Plant Piranha seemed exteremly ridiculous, it can be de deduced that Miyamoto did agree with the choice, in some aspect that isn't a good news to supportors of other Mario characters.

Considering that Miyamoto didn't try to push Waluigi in recent games, it's considerable that he wouldn't volunteerly recommend Waluigi when Nintendo suggest a new addition for Mario fighters in Smash Ultimate

I think Waluigi is still popular in Japan tho. But apparently Plant Piranha wasn't decided by sales or popularity so this isn't really Waluigi's time.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I feel as if its very ridiculous to assume Sakurai has this grudge against or hatred for Waluigi. It’s very clear that the picks for this game were heavily influenced by ballot results and requests from Nintendo themselves.
I doubt Waluigi did too well on the ballot mainly with the preconceived notion that it was for Smash 4, hence why he didn’t make it in the base roster, plus with the added fact he isn’t too popular of a request in Japan.
It’s evident with recent Mii costumes that Smash is opening up a lot more to the western fanbase so I wouldn’t be too surprised if characters like Waluigi, Crash, Chief, Dante, etc. end up being in the next game.
True, but only if they start with Ultimate as base and go on from there.

And about the ballot, I think Waluigi did okay, I just think he wasn't as popular back in 2015 as he is today.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I didn’t say that he has a grudge or hatred against Waluigi. I just think that Sakurai does not want him in his game. He very well might like him, but for whatever reason he does not think he belongs in smash. Tbh, I think he should’ve been added with Wario in brawl, they’re always partners in all of the spin-off games. That didn’t happen, and instead he has added many other Mario characters since then, including piranha plant and Daisy. Not dissing Daisy I just think her and Waluigi are about equals as far as relevance to canon Mario games go, with Waluigi being hugely more popular. I just don’t think it’s mere coincidence that Waluigi has been passed up repeatedly and left as an assist trophy for 3 games in a row/over a decade.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
he should’ve been added with Wario in brawl, they’re always partners in all of the spin-off games
Smash Brawl didn't have Mario newcomer, and Waluigi isn't nominally related to Wario by the Smash series classifiation. The real argument is NIntendo not letting Waluigi participate in Wario's games for him to fight for the second Wario series rep.

I do think Waluigi can compete in Smash 4 as there were two Mario series slots, just NIntendo picked two other new additions instead.

Waluigi has been passed up repeatedly and left as an assist trophy for 3 games in a row/over a decade.
I don't agree with this mainly cause NIntendo could had used the assist trohpy slots on some other Mario series characters, like Kamek and King Boo. Especially if Geno can't be a fighter, NIntendo should really make him an assist at least.

Nintendo likely think making Waluigi an assist trohpy for three rounds may please his fans, but that kinda misses the point.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Smash Brawl didn't have Mario newcomer, and Waluigi isn't nominally related to Wario by the Smash series classifiation. The real argument is NIntendo not letting Waluigi participate in Wario's games for him to fight for the second Wario series rep.

I do think Waluigi can compete in Smash 4 as there were two Mario series slots, just NIntendo picked two other new additions instead.

I don't agree with this mainly cause NIntendo could had used the assist trohpy slots on some other Mario series characters, like Kamek and King Boo. Especially if Geno can't be a fighter, NIntendo should really make him an assist at least.

Nintendo likely think making Waluigi an assist trohpy for three rounds may please his fans, but that kinda misses the point.
What do you mean you don’t agree? I stated a fact. Waluigi has been an assist trophy for 3 games in a row. After brawl each subsequent game had multiple Mario new comers, hence he was passed up on multiple times and left as a trophy.

Edit- I originally misread your first paragraph. I have removed what was written here because it didn’t make sense

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean you don’t agree? I stated a fact. Waluigi has been an assist trophy for 3 games in a row. After brawl each subsequent game had multiple Mario new comers, hence he was passed up on multiple times and left as a trophy.
I say Waluigi shouldn't be kept as an assist trohpy, NIntendo should introduce some new assist trohpies instead,

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It feels pretty clear to me that Nintendo is only interested in using Waluigi for memetic potential and social media engagement, but they'll never give him a day in the sun. Cool...

Last edited:

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
If it makes the Waluigi fandom feel better, I do believe the "next game" is an enhanced port of Ultimate with new characters since Sakurai probably doesn't want to get into the development of a new game, not to mention people would probably be disappointed by a downscaled roster.

I also believe Waluigi is a shoo in for this enhanced port, the next Nintendo console isn't that far away and ports are easy to develop, so we're realistically only 4 years away from getting Waluigi in Smash. Just keep waiting, it'll come eventually.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I swear when everyone turned into trophies I legit thought Waluigi would be in. Like I thought that Nintendo finally did not, but alas it didn't happen. Personally I was neutral on Sora before today. It's all right that he's in, but still disappointing that Waluigi still has to wait longer for that chance in the spotlight. His popularity has increased big time after his AT reveal three years ago and Nintendo can't ignore that demand for Waluigi appearing in a mainline Mario or Wario game. I mean I like that he still appears in the spinoff games but it's time for him to have something more. Waluigi will continue to be at the top of my most wanted characters list. Someday Waluigi will get is chance to shine.

Attachments

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
If it makes the Waluigi fandom feel better, I do believe the "next game" is an enhanced port of Ultimate with new characters since Sakurai probably doesn't want to get into the development of a new game
The point isn't Sakurai. It's the difficult 3rd party contracts that ensures Smash 6 won't have every past fighter. And upgrading all past fighters still require development.

And with Smash 5 already has too many Mario reps, it would be suitable to have Waluigi in Smash 6 after some cuts, unless you think Waluigi must fight along with Plant Piranha.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

Made this to vent a bit of my frustrations and depression, and imagine if Things had been different for smash ultimate....

Gonna hold out hope that we get SOMETHING big for Waluigi eventually that's actually substantial, preferably sooner than later.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And so the DLC season for Ultimate has ended. Since Sakurai knows how much the fans want him, he might have a better chance to show up in the next game where he hasn't been confirmed as an Assist Trophy yet.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi couldn't get into Smash Bros Ultimate so he became a vampire because why the hell not
The wish of many Waluigi fangirls has been granted, Vampire Waluigi is now official and is coming to Mario Kart Tour ! Yeeeah ! Another opportunity to milk Waluigi fans

1633511950252.png

Another alternative costume for Waluigi when he will inevitably be announced for Smash 6 😉

(Imagine if you can purchase this costume for Horror Land in Mario Party Superstars...)

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi couldn't get into Smash Bros Ultimate so he became a vampire because why the hell not
The wish of many Waluigi fangirls has been granted, Vampire Waluigi is now official and is coming to Mario Kart Tour ! Yeeeah ! Another opportunity to milk Waluigi fans

View attachment 333462

Another alternative costume for Waluigi when he will inevitably be announced for Smash 6 😉

(Imagine if you can purchase this costume for Horror Land in Mario Party Superstars...)
And look at the date, they know.
They don't want Waluigi to clash with the final Smash announcement nor release his new alt the same day as Sora.

I just truly hope that they're finally taking steps to further develop Waluigi's character.
Eventually this will lead to his own game, and then his playable debut in a new Smash for the inevitable new system.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to believe they'd have listened to feedback and really do include both as playable fighters.
It's probably easier to include them both since they're owned by the same company, Camelot.

And I don't expect a reboot of the series anytime soon, that would effectively kill Smash Bros, or greatly damage it's image.
Because I can't believe Nintendo and Sakurai are willing to throw all of their hard work after negotiating with Microsoft, Square Enix, and freaking Disney.

Sora maybe the last fighter for Ultimate, same way Bayonetta was the last fighter for Smash Wii U.
But they're gonna end up making a Smash Deluxe or Smash 6, and that game will have its own last character, and so on.

Looking on the bright, Waluigi is currently the most wanted 1st party character.
And he's still trending on Twitter even after Sora's reveal.
I think that the newcomers in the next base game roster will mostly be 1st party characters with requested characters including assist upgrades, an inevitable Fire Emblem & Pokemon rep and Xenoblade 3 character (if that happens). Also at least one 3rd party character such as Dante (it could also be Geno but since Square always want their things to be DLC, he's probably more likely to be one unless if Nintendo owns SMRPG by then).
I believe that Waluigi & Isaac will be the big base game newcomers for Smash 6 like Ridley & KKR were for Ultimate. It's somewhat understandable if they didn't include them in Ultimate but there's zero excuse for the next game.

It can be either a reboot or a port, we will see in the future.
And yes, Waluigi is still trending on twitter as of now.

And look at the date, they know.
They don't want Waluigi to clash with the final Smash announcement nor release his new alt the same day as Sora.

I just truly hope that they're finally taking steps to further develop Waluigi's character.
Eventually this will lead to his own game, and then his playable debut in a new Smash for the inevitable new system.
Maybe they started to work on a Waluigi game or a Wario Land game with Waluigi since the massive backlash from 3 years ago which might be why we still haven't gotten anything yet. Making AAA games takes time after all.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this makes sense. Waluigi has already been popular by the time of Smash Brawl. You say that as if Waluigi wasn't popular in the Smash 4 days or NIntendo didn't notice his popularity. And as others said, Waluigi is a recurring character in his series, NIntendo definitely know his popularity.
They chose Plant Piranha obviously just to troll people, not because they mistook Plant as the more popualar being.

And as said above, Mario series has many candidates that can also be the new assist trohpies. It's totally not creative to keep Waluigi as asisst trohpy when so many good characters can inherit his role.
And guess what, his popularity in Brawl and Smash 4 was nowhere near today. If anything, people were surprised/happy that he was an assist in Brawl because he was acknowledged enough to appear in the game in some form which was already huge for a character like him at the time. Then Smash 4 happened and some people were already disappointed because he gained popularity between Brawl and Smash 4 but it's still wasn't the huge fanbase that we have now. Then E3 2018 happened and you know the rest of the story. For the first time, Waluigi caused huge controversy and the mainstream attention he gained from that (something that never happened before) was the exact moment that Nintendo noticed how popular he is.

And although I still think that PP is a wasted slot, I accepted that it was because they wanted to include a gag character like in the previous entries. A character that shouldn't be here and that no one asked for but still got in because lol le funny character.

PunkApe

One thing I want to bring up is people saying that “Waluigi didn’t even get a Mii costume”.

Did people forget he already kinda has one?

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
his popularity in Brawl and Smash 4 was nowhere near today.
If what you say is true, that means characters who have been popular since earlier time should have a higher priority than Waluigi. I tend to believe that Waluigi's demand has been there since decade ago.

If NIntendo couldn't notice that Waluigi is a popular character, that means their marketing analysis and research team isn't competent enough. It shouldn't be fan reaction to tell that the demand is there, why did they even make poll and customer feedback if they couldn't tell the popular characters?

The real concern is Waluigi hasn't been featured in any recent Mario game since that time. I think if NIntendo do want to make up, we should had seen Waluigi's spotlight by now.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I just realized something, they completely ignored Luigi's Mansion 3.
During the final segment of Sora's presentation they showcased the game's achievement with the total number of fighters, stages, items, etc.

The number of spirits featured is 1496, plus the KH spirits the total becomes 1504.
LM3 spirits are nowhere to be found in the game, unless you count King Boo and the other three LM spirits as enough representation for the game that is.

It's weird how Super Mario Party, Paper Mario TOK, and Mario Golf Super Rush all got spirits while Luigi's Mansion 3 got none.

Guess it's the curse of being Luigi, that makes Waluigi double cursed if even his main rival is getting the short end of the stick.
Heck, his partner in crime Wario got nothing substantial in Ultimate, not even enough new music tracks to notice.

PunkApe

You missed the point entirely, we expected him to be base roster in ultimate, and for many of us we expected him to be base roster in Wii U and 3DS, neither of those happened, and instead what we got was more of the same, teasing the fanbase and milking with merchandise.

And now we are just in the loop again of waiting for the next hypothetical game saying "he's a lock for sure!" When history has shown otherwise.

Like I said, it's been 21 years of the character existing and gaining in popularity, and yet not even once has he been given anything that isn't just another space in a spin off sports or party game roster (and even then with things like Mario Kart 7, Nintendo has shown he's not even guaranteed even that little all the time)
You shouldn’t expect any character. That’s a bad mindset that 9 times out of 10 sets you up for disappointment. There’s a difference between wanting and expecting a character.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn’t expect any character. That’s a bad mindset that 9 times out of 10 sets you up for disappointment. There’s a difference between wanting and expecting a character.
Well I think it's fair to say that a lot of us were young at the time, and unfortunately we took Waluigi appearing in games for granted.

It wasn't until Mario Kart 7 when Nintendo called him expendable that we begun to notice that Waluigi was on thin ice, but again unfortunately not many caught on to that.

And so Smash 4 happened we were upset but not really as much as in Ultimate, because by then it would be the third time in a row that Waluigi gets shafted while simultaneously both Daisy and P. Plant (a mook that made its first playable appearance, in Smash Bros. no less) got in.

And these 3 and a half years of us fighting for Waluigi to become playable through DLC, while some may think it was all in vain and we gained nothing from it, it finally placed Waluigi (and us) on the map.

Like seriously now the Switch has like 2 more years left in it before the next system rolls out, by then they would have a developed a new Smash game or better yet, an expanded version of Ultimate with the entire roster intact, only now Waluigi is playable alongside whoever they end up choosing for that game.

Maybe go for a quadruple AT upgrade, Waluigi, Isaac, Alucard, and Bomberman.
Then upgrade some Mii costumes like Doomguy, and Dante.
Add Crash and voila, you've got yourself 7 newcomers, the same number of newcomers on the base game of Ultimate.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I believe that these 3 years of effort actually put Waluigi on Nintendo's radar. They definitely noticed us.

If I had to guess the newcomers for the base roster of next game, whether it's a port or a new game (I'm leaning towards the latter), I'd say that it's mostly going to be first party characters with at least one big 3rd party. Waluigi could be the biggest 1rd party addition of the roster followed by Isaac. Then, we could get a Pokemon & Fire Emblem rep, a rep from a new Nintendo IP, Xeno 3 protagonist (if we get Xeno 3 that is), Bandana Dee and someone like Dante could very well be the 3rd party character.
But now is not the time to speculate about that. There's like 4 or 5 years to wait before the next game.

Also, I still think that Waluigi's Island could be a secret board in Mario Party Superstars. And just because we already have another island-themed board in Yoshi's Tropical Island doesn't mean we can't get it. We have two forest-themed boards with Woody Woods and Horror Land so it shouldn't be a problem. Also WI is pretty unique and very popular so...

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
As much as I hate to say it, I predicted Waluigi's playability had zero chance the second he made AT.

I'd say Waluigi is the most wanted rep for Mario at this point and he should finally have the chance in the next game unless Sakurai and crews pull out a Deluxe

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I should have clarified, but by "expected" it was in the sense that he seemed like he was the next logical choice for the next Mario character, especially going into ultimate, because really for most people, all that was left was him and Daisy (Toad as well in some cases, but most people would only say the first two)

Nobody thought or could have guessed the literal "why chose that?" would get in first over the Wah, it just seemed at the time the only natural thing was that he would get into ultimate, which was an oversight looking back

Anyways, I wanted to just quickly say

This little ****post of mine has gone and become one of my most viewed and liked video overnight and has been up overnight, I'm not sure it's because of all but regardless I wanna thank all y'all for the support and everything, I really do appreciate at it and I'm glad my meme ment to just vent became so beloved and we'll recieved by the Waluigi fandom and smash fandom too thank you all :,)

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Found this wholesome Waluigi meme.

As both a Waluigi fan and a Kingdom Hearts fan, it's nice.

Let's look forward to the future, the Switch is in its 4th year now, and Nintendo consoles tend to have a lifespan of 5-6 years, so a Smash Ultimate Deluxe retaining this amazing roster with a couple of extras is right around the corner.

2024-2025 is gonna be a wild year for Waluigi. :waluigirose:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'd put my bets in that Waluigi would be the first newcomer they reveal for Smash 6, the backlash and fan reaction to Waluigi getting the assist trophy was unlike anything I've ever seen happen for a deconfirmed character that it kind of became a cultural talking point to the wider gaming community outside of Smash and Nintendo. With people being worried that the next Smash is going to be a stepdown after Ultimate opening the next game's newcomer lineup with a character like Waluigi will be a perfect way to get people on their good graces.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I just really, really hope the next game, if it is to happen, has all the characters (meaning it would most likely be mostly a port of ultimate with added stuff), because the idea of Waluigi finally getting into smash, only for it to be a drastic step down in roster size and missing like half of Ultimate's roster and most jaw dropping characters, would be essentially a Monkey's Paw/ bitter-sweet inclusion of him: we get him in, but it's no longer the "ultimate" roster.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
congrats everyone. The pay off of Waluigi fans and memers may not have been this generation but, the groundwork has been laid with a meme that has reached the entire world. No doubt this will bring his name up as a newcomer more than a few times when it comes to smash 6 development.

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
congrats everyone. The pay off of Waluigi fans and memers may not have been this generation but, the groundwork has been laid with a meme that has reached the entire world. No doubt this will bring his name up as a newcomer more than a few times when it comes to smash 6 development.
I really hope the next game is an enhanced port with a story and Waluigi is one of the newcomers, that's the most I can ask for.

I would rather them build on the roster more than completely reboot it.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So did Sakurai ever say he was done with smash ultimate? As in no more post pass content?

Top Bottom