• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Raiden_20

Smash Rookie
So, I think Waluigi could be one of our last two DLC characters for Smash. And that is because of Mario Maker 2 and Luigi’s Mansion 3. Both of these games have gone over a year without having any Spirit Events despite them being big releases for the Switch. So far Bowser’s Fury doesn’t have one. This may change, but if we go through most of the year without a Spirit Event for this game, I think Waluigi could actually have a chance.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So, I think Waluigi could be one of our last two DLC characters for Smash. And that is because of Mario Maker 2 and Luigi’s Mansion 3. Both of these games have gone over a year without having any Spirit Events despite them being big releases for the Switch. So far Bowser’s Fury doesn’t have one. This may change, but if we go through most of the year without a Spirit Event for this game, I think Waluigi could actually have a chance.
I think the last Spirit event with a new main series Mario Spirit was the Peachette one in 2019, right? That Spirit was added before both those games released so we could guess that Waluigi may have been decided on between Peachette's spirit and SMM2.

There is a bit of a wrench in this theory though - the Origami King Spirits. However, I can't really imagine them coming with Waluigi even if there was no Spirit event. Even in the homogenized age of Mario, RPGs have been considered seperate for the most part.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't think Waluigi will be one of the final 2 DLC characters, but he might be included as a bonus surprise DLC, given that there are 3 extra DLC slots after fighters pass 2.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I don't think Waluigi will be one of the final 2 DLC characters, but he might be included as a bonus surprise DLC, given that there are 3 extra DLC slots after fighters pass 2.
It's hard to imagine Waluigi not making it in because of how viral it's gotten. There's really no solid reason besides fan "rules" which are also pushed by many people who actually want him in the game. People who ACTUALLY do not want him in at all are just a vocal minority, he's just dragged down by these stupid fan rules.

Also most of these fan rules are nonsense anyway, Sakurai said Spring Man wasn't chosen because he's not the protagonist and Rex was actually considered. Assist Trophy/Mii Costume were never even mentioned for either of them. Which strongly suggests Sakurai does not really care.

Last edited:

Raiden_20

Smash Rookie
I think the last Spirit event with a new main series Mario Spirit was the Peachette one in 2019, right? That Spirit was added before both those games released so we could guess that Waluigi may have been decided on between Peachette's spirit and SMM2.

There is a bit of a wrench in this theory though - the Origami King Spirits. However, I can't really imagine them coming with Waluigi even if there was no Spirit event. Even in the homogenized age of Mario, RPGs have been considered seperate for the most part.
Honestly, the Origami King Spirit Event kinda makes it weirder if you ask me. Why would Origami King get a Spirit Event, but Mario Maker 2 and Luigi’s Mansion 3 don’t have one despite releasing before it. And if people want to say “Those two games couldn’t bring in new spirits.”, Mario Maker 2 could have the Builder variations of the playable characters like Luigi, Toad, and Toadette, and Luigi’s Mansion 3 could have Gooigi, Hellen Gravely, and one of the basic ghost enemies from the game.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Honestly, the Origami King Spirit Event kinda makes it weirder if you ask me. Why would Origami King get a Spirit Event, but Mario Maker 2 and Luigi’s Mansion 3 don’t have one despite releasing before it. And if people want to say “Those two games couldn’t bring in new spirits.”, Mario Maker 2 could have the Builder variations of the playable characters like Luigi, Toad, and Toadette, and Luigi’s Mansion 3 could have Gooigi, Hellen Gravely, and one of the basic ghost enemies from the game.
What people don't realize is that DLC spirit boards don't really have to bring in new spirits. I'm pretty sure both Arms and Xenoblade reused some, Xenoblade definitely reused Rex.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Next spirit event- purple characters only.

Why would Sakurai randomly think about this... I don't even think Waluigi is one of the spirits that can be collected
🤔
Is the list of included Spirits up yet? I do remember Pyra being in some spirit events but I would still count a lack of Waluigi as a little suspicious. The fact they're not including him in the promo image given his popularity seems a bit notable...

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Is the list of included Spirits up yet? I do remember Pyra being in some spirit events but I would still count a lack of Waluigi as a little suspicious. The fact they're not including him in the promo image given his popularity seems a bit notable...
I think Waluigi might appear in it, he's headlined other spirit events before too, but usually only spirit events with less spirits.

The reason I think this is notable is because Sakurai usually makes spirit events while thinking about something, he made a spirit event with characters dressed in black and villain spirit events before Sephiroth's announcement. It's possible he could have just been thinking about characters dressed in black randomly, but this would have also been when Sephiroth was under development.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think Waluigi might appear in it, he's headlined other spirit events before too, but usually only spirit events with less spirits.

The reason I think this is notable is because Sakurai usually makes spirit events while thinking about something, he made a spirit event with characters dressed in black and villain spirit events before Sephiroth's announcement. It's possible he could have just been thinking about characters dressed in black randomly, but this would have also been when Sephiroth was under development.
Do we know if Sakurai is doing these events?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm no game dev, but I'm pretty sure promotional events aren't a creative director's role. I remember reading Spirits have a whole team of their own.
That was noted for the base game creation. And specifically for choosing spirits too. We have no clue if they're involved even for later DLC spirits.

We don't know who is behind the spirit events either. Obviously the promotional ones(I.E. Bravely Default) Sakurai is going to be involved in, since it's licensing-related as well. But ones like these could be anyone's guess.

Raiden_20

Smash Rookie
One thing I should mention about the spirit Waluigi could bring is that there aren’t any spirits that would relate to Waluigi. So, it would be more reasonable to just add in new Spirits than to try and find other base-game spirits that could be put with Waluigi.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I think the last 2 characters are Waluigi and another retro character, this retro character could be another sonic character, another fighting game character or maybe even a out of left field beat em up character.

Going by the past, we've always had a fan requested character show up as DLC in basically every wave, we've yet to have that happen yet except for Steve who was in the works for 5 years and clearly wasn't added because of requests, we also receive a retro character in every pass, we haven't gotten one yet.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think the last 2 characters are Waluigi and another retro character, this retro character could be another sonic character, another fighting game character or maybe even a out of left field beat em up character.

Going by the past, we've always had a fan requested character show up as DLC in basically every wave, we've yet to have that happen yet except for Steve who was in the works for 5 years and clearly wasn't added because of requests, we also receive a retro character in every pass, we haven't gotten one yet.
That would be a dream come true for me, but I'm seriously starting to doubt Waluigi will show up. We've already had a retro character in the form of Banjo and two of the only 4 viable Sonic reps are Mii Costumes that people have already payed for.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
That would be a dream come true for me, but I'm seriously starting to doubt Waluigi will show up. We've already had a retro character in the form of Banjo and two of the only 4 viable Sonic reps are Mii Costumes that people have already payed for.
For pass 1 yes, in my opinion there's no real reason to doubt Waluigi, it would basically be ignoring the most talked about character if they didn't include him.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
For pass 1 yes, in my opinion there's no real reason to doubt Waluigi, it would basically be ignoring the most talked about character if they didn't include him.
Well, there's no retro character in the SSB3DSWU DLC cycle except maybe Lucas (who even then was released 8 years before his DLC addition) or if we're to really stretch Ryu or Cloud. (who were and still are recieving new releases, they're just associated with retro eras) None of the newcomers were Ridley-or-Waluigi-level popular requests either. Cloud and Ryu were mostly seen as joke requests at the time (which does admittedly also apply to Waluigi), and the less said about the Bayonetta ballot controversy the better.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Well, there's no retro character in the SSB3DSWU DLC cycle except maybe Lucas (who even then was released 8 years before his DLC addition) or if we're to really stretch Ryu or Cloud. (who were and still are recieving new releases, they're just associated with retro eras) None of the newcomers were Ridley-or-Waluigi-level popular requests either. Cloud and Ryu were mostly seen as joke requests at the time (which does admittedly also apply to Waluigi), and the less said about the Bayonetta ballot controversy the better.
I'm sick and tired of the "well Smash 4 didn't add every popular requests" yes, that's because there were so many at that point that they were saved for the next game. You are literally comparing like 10 characters that the fans wanted to only one, it's not fair at all. There's literally 1 very easy character to add that the fans want right now and there's no reason to ignore it.

Also they DID listen to the fans a little bit, we got Roy Lucas and Mewtwo, maybe the reason they could add these characters was because there were no rights in their way, just like there isn't for Waluigi.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
How does everyone feel about Waluigi’s chances of late? With only 2 slots left (maybe not?) it’s coming down to the wire... I feel like Waluigi is in an interesting spot because throughout 2019 to early 2020 there seemed to be a fair bit of speculation pointing his direction, but now he’s just patiently waiting in the shadows for his potential invite. I don’t see him talked about too much anymore in terms of speculation or leaks, he’s just kind of in the back of everyone’s mind while more and more characters get decinfirmed, slowly eliminating his competition.

The silence on Waluigi really has me thinking that he’s got a good 50-50 shot, just depends on why there isn’t anything really happening with him lately. On the one hand, it reminds me of Steve/Sephiroth, where there was a bunch of speculation surrounding them for a year or so followed by complete silence until their reveal. On the other hand, there could just be silence because there’s truly nothing new to share about him and he just isn’t happening. Regardless, I still think Waluigi is a matter of when, not if. If he doesn’t show up in the DLC and this is the last DLC pass then I think he’s going to be on the base roster of the next game. Nintendo can’t ignore us, or the money we’d all be willing to pay for a Waluigi DLC/amiibo, for forever. I’m sure the sales of that Waluigi controller are making it loud and clear to them that we want Waluigi and we are willing to pay for him, lol.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
New hope has come.
It may be tough to get into the fighter pass, but as a bonus character it will be realistic.
Haven’t watched this yet, at work currently. Do you have a TL;DW? If that’s credible at all then that’s super hype; I’ve always thought that Waluigi’s chances were way higher as a bonus fighter than as a pass fighter. If we do end up getting a bonus fighter then I really do like his odds, honestly.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How does everyone feel about Waluigi’s chances of late? With only 2 slots left (maybe not?) it’s coming down to the wire... I feel like Waluigi is in an interesting spot because throughout 2019 to early 2020 there seemed to be a fair bit of speculation pointing his direction, but now he’s just patiently waiting in the shadows for his potential invite. I don’t see him talked about too much anymore in terms of speculation or leaks, he’s just kind of in the back of everyone’s mind while more and more characters get decinfirmed, slowly eliminating his competition.

The silence on Waluigi really has me thinking that he’s got a good 50-50 shot, just depends on why there isn’t anything really happening with him lately. On the one hand, it reminds me of Steve/Sephiroth, where there was a bunch of speculation surrounding them for a year or so followed by complete silence until their reveal. On the other hand, there could just be silence because there’s truly nothing new to share about him and he just isn’t happening. Regardless, I still think Waluigi is a matter of when, not if. If he doesn’t show up in the DLC and this is the last DLC pass then I think he’s going to be on the base roster of the next game. Nintendo can’t ignore us, or the money we’d all be willing to pay for a Waluigi DLC/amiibo, for forever. I’m sure the sales of that Waluigi controller are making it loud and clear to them that we want Waluigi and we are willing to pay for him, lol.
As someone who thinks those who expect more of :ultsteve::ultsephiroth:are expecting too much since the overwhelming majority has already bought the pass thanks to those two, I still doubt Waluigi's chances unless that bonus fighter leak goes somewhere. WhenIf an assist trophy gets a challenger pack, it'll more likely be someone who comes from a franchise without a stage.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Just got a chance to watch that video, and I’ve gotta say that has refreshed my hope for the purple villain. Obviously remaining cautiously optimistic, but that does seem promising. If that does come true, then I wonder if the old paragon leak might have actually correctly predicted Waluigi being last, but missed the details about him being a bonus fighter, and the existence of FP2?

E3 outcry 2018 > Waluigi secretly planned to end FP1 as a bonus fighter > paragon leak predicts Waluigi as “last” > Waluigi delayed because they decide to do FP2 > Waluigi is still “last” as a bonus fighter.

The idea of him being delayed to end FP2 also sort of fits in with the fact that some of the Mii costumes were thought to be coming out in the first pass with a character from their respective company, and instead were seemingly put off until the second pass (most notable example is the Geno Mii not coming with Hero and instead came out over a year later with Sephiroth). Obviously highly speculative stuff but just thought trying to put a theoretical timeline to how this all might have played out behind the scenes would be mildly interesting.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
If this bonus slot does turn out to be for a bonus final character, I'm gonna bet on Waluigi being it. It just makes sense and ends Ultimate's dlc cycle perfectly,. It started with a Mario character (Piranha Plant), and ends with a Mario character if we get Waluigi.

Just seems like the perfect book end for ultimate in my eyes, and sets the possibilities for the next game at a all time high I think cus at that point, literally almost everyone is on the table, as the last big "fan rule" of "no assist trophy upgrades same-game" will have been shattered

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
In any case, there has been nothing since Pythra's inclusion that would warrant a change in opinion for me. As other possible contenders have had wrenches thrown into their chances - Monster Hunter with the Pythra pack's Mii costumes and (seemingly) Ryu Hayabusa most recently - nothing that hurts Waluigi's chances has come to pass so far. Thus I believe that he's not out of the game yet, as I have for a while now.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hey all, it's been a while!
I don't really post often here just because for a long time I never really thought Waluigi had much of a chance, but I have heard about the recent leak that could suggest we could get one more bonus fighter, and now I have newfound hope. To me, Waluigi always felt like a perfect candidate for a bonus DLC and considering the outcry at E3 2018, I'd be shocked if Sakurai doesn't at least consider upgrading him, and he would be a fantastic way to finish off Smash Ultimate considering he's not only a heavily requested character, but he would also finally break the long-running "no assist trophies" rule, so here's hoping!

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
How do we know this extra listing isn't a stage or mode or something to that extent?
I don’t know all of the intricacies of how it works, but it seems like due to the nature of the code/listing the people who figured all of this out are also able to deduce that it is paid content. So although it could be those things, it’s more likely to be a paid fighter or costume or “bonus” that comes with fighters pass 2, since we haven’t had a paid stage/mode before.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Waluigi being a Bonus makes a lot of sense. This "leak" makes it seem all the more likely.
That's why I'm now predicting Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief, Chosen Undead, and Waluigi (as a bonus).

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi being a Bonus makes a lot of sense. This "leak" makes it seem all the more likely.
That's why I'm now predicting Crash Bandicoot, Chosen Undead, and Waluigi (as a bonus).
Those are my exact same predictions, Waluigi and chosen undead are 2 of my most wanted so I hope we are right

Top Bottom