• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Joke Character

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff was the original joke character but has since been view as a serious character by many including myself and is a great one but also Pichu filled that role but was removed in Brawl and we really no longer have a true joke character and this thread is to discuss and throw around ideas for a new joke character. Also Pichu returning does not count because he would be new now would he. So I believe this should be a great discussion and can't wait to hear everybody's great ideas.

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
Wii Fit Trainer is without a doubt the joke character in smash 4.
It seems that each game has a joke character. 64=Jigglypuff, Melee=Mr. Game and Watch, Brawl=R.O.B, Sm4sh=Wii Fit/Dunk Hunt... Villager does feel like a joke sometimes...

That is a valid point but she hasn't been received that way since she is an actually good character/fighter.
Well... Jigglypuff was good in 64... better than Wii Fit is in this game...

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
It seems that each game has a joke character. 64=Jigglypuff, Melee=Mr. Game and Watch, Brawl=R.O.B, Sm4sh=Wii Fit/Dunk Hunt... Villager does feel like a joke sometimes...

Well... Jigglypuff was good in 64... better than Wii Fit is in this game...
First of Melee's Joke character is Pichu. Second G&W, R.O.B, and DHD represent historical eras and the history of Nintendo so they are no jokes.

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
First of Melee's Joke character is Pichu. Second G&W, R.O.B, and DHD represent historical eras and the history of Nintendo so they are no jokes.
I suppose you are right. G&W just feels like a joke character. Pichu doesn't as much because of Pikachu.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
That is a valid point but she hasn't been received that way since she is an actually good character/fighter.
Want me to stomp you with jiggs in 64? XD She's really good, she's just fragile. You have to be more careful playing her.

Last edited:

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
I suppose you are right. G&W just feels like a joke character. Pichu doesn't as much because of Pikachu.
Pichu does damage to himself! granted that stays true to his character and origins from his respective franchise. Also G&W isn't a joke because he started the Historical character area that has always been filled since melee and has a group of 2 or 3 characters depending on how you look at it. Also who would you propose to be the next joke character?

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda wondering if were going to get a joke character for DLC too.
Seems pretty unlikely IMO.
But Sakurai can throw serious curveballs at us.
The reason Sakurai included Pichu was because he saw Jiggly taken seriously and he meant for her to be a joke.

Garbodor when?
???

Want me to stomp you with jiggs in 64? XD She's really good, she's just fragile. You have to be more careful playing her.
I never said she was bad she is actually a great character and I love using her from time to time.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Just so we're clear, a "joke character" is a character so laughably bad they had to make a new tier lower than the lowest just to hold them, right? Because I was under the impression G&W could hold his own pretty well. And I hated fighting R.O.B. because of his aerials.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Just so we're clear, a "joke character" is a character so laughably bad they had to make a new tier lower than the lowest just to hold them, right? Because I was under the impression G&W could hold his own pretty well. And I hated fighting R.O.B. because of his aerials.
Yeah exactly which Pichu was and also I know G&W is good because I main him with a few others and R.O.B is a great character as well as DHD.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
The term "joke character" (at least in smash) has more to do with the who they are outside of smash than how they play in the game. Like wii fit trainer. Who would've expected a yoga instructor to be in smash bros? Certainly not me. I laughed when she was announced. The thought of her is hilarious.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we have a "joke" character in any of the games except for Melee with Pichu. By your definition, a joke character has to be a handicap to the player using him. Every character (but Pichu) was designed to be balanced with the rest of the cast. I agree that there are joke characters because of their origins, but this thread isn't asking about that. I highly doubt Sakurai will add a DLC character that is worse than the rest of the cast. Sorry.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Yeah exactly which Pichu was and also I know G&W is good because I main him with a few others and R.O.B is a great character as well as DHD.
If that's the case the only joke characters I can think of is Pichu (because he's so bad he damages himself) and Ganondorf (who hits like a truck, but only if he can actually hit you.)

The term "joke character" (at least in smash) has more to do with the who they are outside of smash than how they play in the game. Like wii fit trainer. Who would've expected a yoga instructor to be in smash bros? Certainly not me. I laughed when she was announced. The thought of her is hilarious.

Just my opinion.
Thing is, I spend more time on TVtropes than I should be allowed to admit, and the term "joke character" brings this up in my mind: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JokeCharacter

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Jigglypuff was the original joke character
I never said she was bad she is actually a great character and I love using her from time to time.

Something smells fishy here...

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice

Just my opinion.
Same in respects to her but she hasn't been received that way because she is actually good. Anyways everyone lets get back on topic and throw around ideas for the next joke character.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
If that's the case the only joke characters I can think of is Pichu (because he's so bad he damages himself) and Ganondorf (who hits like a truck, but only if he can actually hit you.)

Thing is, I spend more time on TVtropes than I should be allowed to admit, and the term "joke character" brings this up in my mind: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JokeCharacter
Yeah, I see. But Ganondorf is not that unbalanced, at least on purpose. The devs just made a heavy grappler in a game of light, fast range characters.

Last edited:

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we have a "joke" character in any of the games except for Melee with Pichu. By your definition, a joke character has to be a handicap to the player using him. Every character (but Pichu) was designed to be balanced with the rest of the cast. I agree that there are joke characters because of their origins, but this thread isn't asking about that. I highly doubt Sakurai will add a DLC character that is worse than the rest of the cast. Sorry.
I know but this is suppose to be a fun and intrested thread because of this true an actual point for a thread while being an interesting topic.

Thats exactly what I meant by joke character here.
Something smells fishy here...
I meant Sakurai intended here to be a joke character and thats why she was the original joke character.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Jiggly is the embodiemtent of a Lethal Joke Character.

I hate Jiggly because he replaced Pit in ssb64 and Melee.
true about lethal joke character but the part about replacing pit is a rumor floating around the web.
Yeah, I see. But Ganondorf is not that unbalanced, at least on purpose. The devs just made a heavy grappler in a game of light, fast range characters.
He only got in and was a clone of Captain Falcon because of their similarities in size and shape.
I think playable Sandbag would put all other joke characters to shame.
It would but he is the perfect Joke Item.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai doesn't need to put joke characters in Smash anymore because the fanbase makes him laugh enough.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
He only got in and was a clone of Captain Falcon because of their similarities in size and shape.
He's been a classic Nintendo villain since 1986. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't have gotten into smash sooner or later.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai doesn't need to put joke characters in Smash anymore because the fanbase makes him laugh enough.
Are you serious Smash Bros. has covered every aspect you could possibly imaging except three Crew Battle Mode, Custom Engine, and the one it used to cover The Joke Character.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
He's been a classic Nintendo villain since 1986. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't have gotten into smash sooner or later.
Oh he definately would have been in the game by brawl but Melee was a roster of 20 characters and the clones were added to pad out the roster and do it like they did with Luigi just changing that stats of the character but Luigi has basically been decloned. Thats how Ganondorf got in during Melee though.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Oh he definately would have been in the game by brawl but Melee was a roster of 20 characters and the clones were added to pad out the roster and do it like they did with Luigi just changing that stats of the character but Luigi has basically been decloned. Thats how Ganondorf got in during Melee though.
"Got in" or got his moveset? Cuz those are two very different things. He got in cuz he's a staple of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. He got his clone moveset cuz of Captain Falcon.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
"Got in" or got his moveset? Cuz those are two very different things. He got in cuz he's a staple of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. He got his clone moveset cuz of Captain Falcon.
Which is doubly weird because I don't recall Captain Falcon being able to do any of those things in his original games....or did I miss the part where, like in the anime, he could jump out of his car and punch an opponent clear off the road and kill them in a horrible explosion if you collected 100 gold rings?

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
He was added late in development with the other clones due to polls and because of his similarities to Captain Falcon and if they didn't add clones he wouldn't have been in Melee. Also lets get back on topic to the Next Joke Character OK.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Are you serious Smash Bros. has covered every aspect you could possibly imaging except three Crew Battle Mode, Custom Engine, and the one it used to cover The Joke Character.
It used to cover the transformation character too. It still doesn't have a stance changing character. There are more than three aspects Smash 4 doesn't cover, but it doesn't need to cover everything.

And no, I wasn't serious.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Which is doubly weird because I don't recall Captain Falcon being able to do any of those things in his original games....or did I miss the part where, like in the anime, he could jump out of his car and punch an opponent clear off the road and kill them in a horrible explosion if you collected 100 gold rings?
They made up a moveset for him in 64 and thats what it became. Also Lets stay on topic with the Next Joke character.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
They made up a moveset for him in 64 and thats what it became. Also Lets stay on topic with the Next Joke character.
The next joke character can't really be decided as easily as the other games. I mean, assuming "Joke character" refers to a character who really does not belong in the game because they're not normal fighters, then the list is huge. We have the mayor of a furry town, a dog, a robot packaged with the NES to boost sales, an exercise coach, a racer, two plumbers, a doctor (who we all know really isn't a doctor), and an astronaut fighting along side the king of evil, two gods, a starship pilot, a mercenary who can fight with and without power armor, a professional boxer, and an android with a little bit of the Borg built into his programming for good measure. And assuming "Joke character" is a character who's so bad anyone who plays them might as well kill themselves to end the match faster then we don't have any of those. So far all the characters are balanced enough to be viable in competitive battle. In melee, Pichu was the joke character. He was just terrible, and if you were good with him you were terrifying to face. Now, the characters all feel so balanced I don't see how any character could be considered a joke.

Last edited:

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
The next joke character can't really be decided as easily as the other games. I mean, assuming "Joke character" refers to a character who really does not belong in the game because they're not normal fighters, then the list is huge. We have the mayor of a furry town, a dog, a robot packaged with the NES to boost sales, an exercise coach, a racer, two plumbers, a doctor (who we all know really isn't a doctor), and an astronaut fighting along side the king of evil, two gods, a starship pilot, a mercenary who can fight with and without power armor, a professional boxer, and an android with a little bit of the Borg built into his programming for good measure. And assuming "Joke character" is a character who's so bad anyone who plays them might as well kill themselves to end the match faster then we don't have any of those. So far all the characters are balanced enough to be viable in competitive battle. In melee, Pichu was the joke character. He was just terrible, and if you were good with him you were terrifying to face. Now, the characters all feel so balanced I don't see how any character could be considered a joke.
This is what we mean by joke character. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JokeCharacter

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
If Jigglypuff used to be a joke character but isn't anymore, then being a joke character is based on perception, because her moveset hasn't changed greatly. And with perception comes subjectivity. So it all depends how one views a character. Some might see WFT as a joke character. Some might see Duck Hunt as a joke character. Some might see Dark Pit as a joke character, because his inclusion is a joke. :p

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
If Jigglypuff used to be a joke character but isn't anymore, then being a joke character is based on perception, because her moveset hasn't changed greatly. And with perception comes subjectivity. So it all depends how one views a character. Some might see WFT as a joke character. Some might see Duck Hunt as a joke character. Some might see Dark Pit as a joke character, because his inclusion is a joke. :p
Jigglypuff was intended to be a joke character but wasn't received that way. Also Jigglypuff is really either a character or a lethal joke character however you want to look at it. Now lets focus on who the next joke character could be.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff was intended to be a joke character but wasn't received that way. Also Jigglypuff is really either a character or a lethal joke character however you want to look at it. Now lets focus on who the next joke character could be.
If Jigglypuff was initially received as a joke character and then wasn't in future iterations, why are we assuming the same wouldn't have happened with Pichu?

Top Bottom