• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new idea: Bonus Fighters!

Should Bonus Fighters be be implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No (Why?)

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
When it was revealed to us that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had a new way of dealing with clones, we all cheered. Lucina and Dark Pit, two of the infamous copies from Smash 4, had been reset to "Echo Fighters," so as to not take up roster space. And now after the August 8th direct, we have a total of six echoes, with more likely to be revealed.

However, echo fighters only take care of movesets that are almost carbon copies of others, with little or almost no differences. Other characters with similar but "slightly changed" movesets roam free as clones. Echo fighters are also only limited to one per characters. So that's why I came up with a better solution: Bonus Fighters.

Bonus Fighters are my idea of being able to stick multiple fighters, who are related to one another in either moveset or design, in one character slot. This way, even if two characters have completely different movesets, they can be grouped together for other reasons. Young Link would be Toon Link. Dr. Mario would be Mario. Pichu would be Pikachu. All of these characters share movesets and design, but are hampered from being echoes for small reasons. This could go on to include newcomers as well. For example, when someone suggests that Galacta Knight could be and echo fighter of Meta Knight, it seems odd, since in his boss fights he does not reflect Meta Knight's fighting style at all. It would not do the character justice for him to have Meta Knight's moves. But since the two have been consistent foil characters since for a decade, are both small, wield swords, and share other similar deigns, what if you could make Galacta Knight an echo, but with his own moveset?

Bonus Fighters would be organized using Latin lowercase letters. So Galacta Knight could be "27a: Galacta Knight." But remember when I said that a fighter could have multiple Bonus Fighters? Perhaps Dark Meta Knight might not be a bad idea, since after all, he's just Meta Knight from the Mirror Dimension, and making him a bonus fighter would not evict another character from their own slot. He could be "27b: Dark Meta Knight." Bonus Fighters could go on to include different versions of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf from different Zelda titles, smaller and larger Pokemon evolutions, or even current alternate skins, like the Koopalings, but now with their own movesets.

Like Echo Fighters, Bonus Fighters would be organized either by having them in the same physical slot space and being able to rotate between them, or each one spread out individually. Each Bonus Fighter would have their own color palette, just like echoes. They would save a lot of space for new fighters while still expanding the current roster to more heights.

As you can probably imagine, "Bonus Fighters" is simply a placeholder name that I came up with and I am still working on an official title. And yes, I do have my own dream roster, which I have used the Bonus Fighter idea in. On a last note, I did not recently come up with this, I am just posting about it now, so if anyone has already come up with a similar idea, my apologies.

If you like the idea and have some Bonus Fighter ideas of your own, please let me know and share it! If you disagree with me or have other suggestions, I am open to any and all constructive criticism.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
So do Bonus Fighters share the same moves as another character?

If yes, then what makes them different from echoes?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So do Bonus Fighters share the same moves as another character?

If yes, then what makes them different from echoes?
No. They can be completely different.
For example Link from Botw would have his own moveset, while link from TP, his own bonus figher, would have his old moveset (and possible more TP elements, such as Wolf Link).

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Exactly! Other versions of Mario could be added, such as Paper Mario, without taking up more space
But to develop a unique moveset would take time for one, and if they had a unique moveset wouldn’t that just make them a normal fighter.

Or are you talking clones like Roy is to Marth

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
But to develop a unique moveset would take time for one, and if they had a unique moveset wouldn’t that just make them a normal fighter.

Or are you talking clones like Roy is to Marth
Pretty much. The moveset can be clone or original, but the character design can be the same. The way Roy is to Marth is a good example, although not every FE character would be a Bonus of him. Basically each Link could have half-original movesets while keeping some of the elements of the staple link.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
How would this tweak up the already-established numbering?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This doesn't seem to actually improve anything other than maybe decluttering the CSS.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
This doesn't seem to actually improve anything other than maybe decluttering the CSS.
To be fair though, with us most likely getting 70 characters, de-cluttering the CSS is a must. I'm not sold on the idea personally-- why not just loosen the definition of Echo?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
To be fair though, with us most likely getting 70 characters, de-cluttering the CSS is a must. I'm not sold on the idea personally-- why not just loosen the definition of Echo?
Oh thank god that was the definition I needed but I couldn't put my tongue on it

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I have no clue why Pichu and Toon Link aren't Echos of Pikachu and Young Link, respectively.

Also, if we're going on the Bonus Fighter idea, Corsola could be a Bonus Fighter of Jigglypuff (yes, I'm serious) and Dragonite could possibly be a Bonus Fighter of Charizard.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I have no clue why Pichu and Toon Link aren't Echos of Pikachu and Young Link, respectively.

Also, if we're going on the Bonus Fighter idea, Corsola could be a Bonus Fighter of Jigglypuff and Dragonite could possibly be a Bonus Fighter of Charizard.
I also had the idea of splitting up the pokemon trainer into three character slots, but with Blastoise and Venusaur taking over, with Squirtle, Charmander and Ivysaur bonus fighters.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
This is merely an aesthetic change, but I do agree with it. Ofc, I've historically gotten **** from a ton of people on this board for it. People lose their minds when you talk about making characters alternate costumes.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I guess to people that want a smaller CSS that would work. I'm not interested in the idea tho considering I plan on keeping echoes separate on the CSS even

Top Bottom