• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Low Leveled Ike Striving for the Top

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I had Brawl since the midnight released. I tried various characters, yet the only one that fits me and my old battle style is Ike. I never really played competively until recently. Now I spend a portion of my time practicing and improving myself, but unfortunately, I don't see much progress. I recorded some videos from my earlier days to where I am now. All of them involve me battling level 7 CPU's.

First video: 3/15
http://youtube.com/watch?v=huIZpiYCARY

Second Video: 4/04
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S_FDpDjDsXY

Third Video: 4/10
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1GtWWCxYZLY

Fourth Video: 4/25
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Im5Ou9BkZGE

Fifth Video: 4/25
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dc7znM14TP0

Please take a look and tell me any ideas or pointers to improve my game.

Pabs

Smash Cadet
You're a very straightforward Ike. I watched your first and last vids to see if there was improvement (there was), but overall you should probably get out of the habit of fighting lvl 7 cpus. Dunno if you have some friends who are really good at smash that you can practice with, but it's never a good idea to get used to fighting against just one playstyle (i.e computer). If you absolutely have to, I'd say fight against some level 9's when no one is around, like versus wolf or metaknight. Those are two off the top of my head that the comp plays relatively well; you'll learn what moves are safe to use etc.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
dont you have wifi? if not cant you get the thing so if you dont have wifi you can hook up the cable? umm adapter thing. play people online, thats the best way to progress. i remember when i was wack.... but then i realized that i had a competitive side and that my competitive side is really awesome.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I think wi-fi can also have a negative effect, becuase if you do not connect with ppl you know that are good than its a waste of time. Just get a friend and practice, I say. Or if you are crazy like me, play level 9 comps and just do all of Ike's moves in training mode b/c it somehow makes me better do not know about you.

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
I think wi-fi can also have a negative effect, becuase if you do not connect with ppl you know that are good than its a waste of time. Just get a friend and practice, I say. Or if you are crazy like me, play level 9 comps and just do all of Ike's moves in training mode b/c it somehow makes me better do not know about you.
Join a clan. Play its members.
If you're near CA, US, I'll play you once in a while. :'D

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I used to play against level 9 CPU's but all I did was button mash just to get through so I started fighting lower levels to practice my moves and stringing together combos. I do know some people to battle, and they're a slightly a higher level than me, but even so, I can't change battle style according to the situation. I'll try to get some footage of myself fighting against them.

As far as the Wi-Fi battles go, I'm not so used to the timing of execution of moves, there's often a delay. Also there is the bit of lag that throws me off like when I battled my other friend in the same city.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I used to play against level 9 CPU's but all I did was button mash just to get through so I started fighting lower levels to practice my moves and stringing together combos. I do know some people to battle, and they're a slightly a higher level than me, but even so, I can't change battle style according to the situation. I'll try to get some footage of myself fighting against them.

As far as the Wi-Fi battles go, I'm not so used to the timing of execution of moves, there's often a delay. Also there is the bit of lag that throws me off like when I battled my other friend in the same city.
Good call on picking a low-lvl CPU to practice combos since lvl 9's have unrealistic reflexes, but remember that beating CPU's at most shows you know how to play. That's it.

Sure you can study videos of top Ike players, but nothing beats experience. Get those matches in with real players, regardless of how bad you start off, just keep at it. You can only get better with practice.

Wifi just takes some getting used to. Often times a green connection with a player is very playable. Although lag can get in the way....you get a vast amount of experience facing all sorts of characters and player skill levels.

If you're having trouble finding online matches check out the chat room on allisbrawl.com.

Best of luck.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I did some more solo training against level nine comps. I get screwed over less than compared to before and I also managed to pull off moves that I could never have performed otherwise. I'll try finding some high leveled smashers, if I can't, I'll join a clan.

Top Bottom